[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.net

Postby Moo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

I use Benefit's Boiing concealer under my eyes in a shade darker than I would on the rest of my face. I only know this because the first Boiing I ever owned was part of a compact set and you can't choose the colour. Turns out, it is the perfect shade and consistency for under my eyes. YMMV though.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

On pockets: I loose things out of my pockets. A purse is the only way to go. Except my cell phone sometimes lives in my pocket, but other than that, the purse is it! Also, cell in pocket is a safety thing - if someone tries to mug me (I do go to school in downtown Detroit, after all, not exactly the safest place and muggings happen regularly) I have my cell on me still to snap a photo of them, call the police, etc.

On backrubs: I think shirts off is going to far, unless as Enjua said they are a massage student or something like that. But I would say massages are perfectly fine (I wish I could get someone around here to give me one!) but when clothes start to come off that seems over the line.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

Thanks for the shoe recommendations, everybody! I suspect New Balance are closest to my price range; I will probably get a pair of those.

Re pockets/purses: I keep my phone, ipod touch, and a chapstick in my pockets at all times; they tend to get lost in the bottom of my purse, which I also carry around if I'm not going to class. I much prefer the pockets on guy pants, though I don't own many pairs. I never worry about my phone falling out of them :p
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

I've got a canvas over the shoulder bag. Small enough I can't fill it with so much I weigh myself down (it's been a problem historically), but it has enough snap pockets for my iPod, phone, swiss army knife etc. I got mine from Muji when I was in Japan, but I've seen similar devices here too.

I don't like keeping things in my pockets because I sit on them, also I like my shape and don't want electronic lumps in it. :shock: While I admire the sheer amount of crap guys can fit in their pockets, I feel much better organized because I know where everything in my purse is while they're checking through pockets full of lint, loose change etc only to conclude that whatever they needed is in their other pants. :P

Also, as a swing dancer, I notice guys having to shift all of their pocket detritus to the left side of their body so it won't gouge the follow.
Rice Puddin.

acb

Postby acb » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

I always carry my phone, keys and wallet, and they fit in my pockets. I like baggy guy-ish trousers so that is all good, and most of the time I don't need anything else. I only take a bag to work as I need pens, paper, folders etc and it is a messenger bag which I wear across my body to try and avoid major back issues.

I have never found a "handbag" (for want of a better word) I like, I don't really have enough stuff to put in it and I am prone to losing things so I would rather my valuables are on me. I also feel silly and self conscious carrying one, so would much rather put the effort into finding trousers with suitably sized pockets.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

I have a bag that goes over my shoulder and fits a 6 pack in it (my back pack fits a 12 pack). I also keep things in the pockets of my jacket (and small things in my pants).
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

over the shoulder bags are tech. And awesome.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

Pockets, pockets...

I normally keep my ID, cell phone, pump, some cash, and credit card in my pockets. I have found that guy pants do have way better pockets (Levi's 514! Flattering on me and huge pockets! and most people can't tell the difference). I have shit-tons (yes, it is a unit of measurement in my universe) of stuff I carry in my backpack for classes (note books, laptop, charger, text books, pens, pencils, medical supplies, DS, DS games, head phones...) because once I leave, I generally don't go back to my room, so I try to keep what I need on a regular basis in my pockets.

It's incredibly frustrating how many pj's lack pockets. I've resorted to work-out shorts that have pockets for pj bottoms. I know most people don't see the need to have pockets for sleeping, but it's rather annoying putting an insulin pump in your bra for sleeping. So, if anyone knows of cute pj shorts that have pockets (real pockets), let me know where to find them.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

I like bags which have plenty of capacity for organising things, and that are compact. Though, this generally clashes horribly with the fact that bags are the one thing I far prefer to get in charity shops. So.. I maybe have one bag that fits this criteria, but it is sadly too small to hold a book [but perfect for travelling! Separate space for passports, tickets, ID, monies, and suchlike]. I get annoyed that none of my work-trousers or skirts have pockets. Where am I supposed to put my office key, huh, at the bottom of my cup of tea? I don't really use pockets, though, other than for things that I need about my person temporarily. This is more likely the result of a lifetime of bad pocket options.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Due to bad pocket options or whatever causes me to only use pockets infrequently, I never remember to check them before washing.

:|
Rice Puddin.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

The only thing I keep in my pocket is my phone, but there are some jeans I can't do that anymore, because my phone has actually worn a hole through the pocket (I think pretty much every pair of jeans at the very least has a clear outline of my phone), which isn't that useful. (Yes, I know, I could put it in my other pocket, but that's really awkward.) My general criteria for bags is that they are big enough to fit a book and a bottle of water. For lectures I put my normal bag inside a bigger bag which also holds my laptop and a notebook.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

I will sometimes put my phone or mp3 player in my pocket, for easy reach, but mostly I like having bags.

I'm always constantly on the search for the Perfect Bag and have bought many a bag in the quest of this goal. Some have lived up to this criteria, most have not. Mainly i'd like my bag to be roomy enough to carry an A4 sketchbook with a suitable amount of pockets inside and out to hold things like my phone, stationary, make-up etc separate from each other. There must be a shoulder strap option, because I like to mix it up between across the body and up on my shoulder. And the bag has to look good. Dark brown faded leather always seems to attract me.

In short: I usually look out for affordable vintage leather school satchels to hold all my stuff.

existential_elevator wrote: I get annoyed that none of my work-trousers or skirts have pockets. Where am I supposed to put my office key, huh, at the bottom of my cup of tea?

Word. What is it with work trousers and skirts and no motherflippin' pockets? Or worse still, fake pockets (the most pointless fashion detailing of all time)! At work is when I most likely want to keep things in my pocket, because I can't exactly carry my bag around with me.
i dare you to take me on...

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

I was able to find a skirt at old navy that has pockets. It's cute and comfy. It is, sadly, the only skirt with pockets I have ever come across.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

What I find especially annoying actually, is when I'm walking my dog in the summer, and usually wearing a skirt with no pockets. I like to have my phone, iPod, possible keys, and a couple of bags with me...fine when I'm wearing jeans and a hoodie, but a pain in the arse in the summer. I end up having to take a bag, but that's a pain to deal with as well, because my dog is extremely excitable and my bag doesn't tend to stay put...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

Ihave a couple skirts with pockets. One is possibly older than I am, and is a red wool dress skirt. The other is basically green cargo pants turned into a skirt (by the company, not me). I wonder if any other ones have pockets.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Due to bad pocket options or whatever causes me to only use pockets infrequently, I never remember to check them before washing.

:|
You'd think seeing as I normally have two very important, expensive things in my jeans pockets I would remember to check them... I've put two phones and an mp3 player through the washing machine (the mp3 player survived - it was a Sony for anyone who needs their mp3 player to withstand that kind of thing) and I thought I put my ipod in the wash last week (which would have been better than the other things because I paid extra for the accidental damage insurance in case that happened).
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

abitha

Postby abitha » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

I rarely wear any outfit that doesn't have pockets, it's one of my main criteria for buying trousers/skirts/jackets. I even have a posh dress with sizeable pockets. The pocket on one side always contains my lipbalm and keys, the other one has my phone. And i usually also carry a small bag, for things like my wallet, diary, water, and the little pencil case full of random essentials like someone else mentioned (plasters, pens, nail file, painkillers etc).

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

My mother drilled it into my head to always check my pockets before I toss pants into the wash. So I haven't really had a problem with washing important stuff...of course, that didn't help when my iPod wound up in a hot tub anyway. *moment of silence for dearly departed iPod*

Also, what's with girl cargo pants having less pockets with less space than boy cargo pants? Hmph.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Alder

Postby Alder » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:05 am UTC

Re: bags and pockets...

I pretty much only ever have my keys in my pocket, and that's my coat/jacket pocket.

I have a dodgy back, so can't use bags that go on my shoulder, so I tend to use wee backpack-style things. My current one is a leather one I got in Italy and I love it to a ridiculous extent, I don't know what I'll do when it dies. It has two biggish pockets (either would take a biggish paperback book, which is really important!) with a small narrow one in between, and a zipped one on the front. But it's...an interesting shape. And full of stuff. The narrow one has, among other things, my MP3 player, a multi-tool with teeny screwdriver and scissors, and a popup map of Glasgow and Edinburgh. And antihistamine.

That reminds me, I need to recharge my MP3 player. I'm *terrible* at remembering that.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:39 am UTC

It's way late down the page, but thankyou for the tips Moo and Parka!
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:14 am UTC

tin wrote:I'm always constantly on the search for the Perfect Bag and have bought many a bag in the quest of this goal. Some have lived up to this criteria, most have not. Mainly i'd like my bag to be roomy enough to carry an A4 sketchbook with a suitable amount of pockets inside and out to hold things like my phone, stationary, make-up etc separate from each other. There must be a shoulder strap option, because I like to mix it up between across the body and up on my shoulder. And the bag has to look good. Dark brown faded leather always seems to attract me.

In short: I usually look out for affordable vintage leather school satchels to hold all my stuff.
This, almost exactly. I carry a fair bit of stuff with me (sketchbook is the biggest thing, but I've destroyed a few so I usually carry a smaller than A4 one now unless I know I'll be using it), and I really like sturdy bags. I've got some clothes with amazing pockets, but not many.

Incidentally, tin, you should keep your eye out for old camera cases. I picked up a brown leather polaroid case that fits my wallet, phone and a few other things in it perfectly. It works perfectly if I only need to carry a few things. It's a gorgeous colour, and it's obviously done the rounds, it's nice and faded and worn. I got it at a used camera fair - they're given away for a song, usually. I've also got a sturdy rectangular movie camera case in really dark leather, they last forever.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:41 am UTC

I think I might just end up making myself a bag eventually. That way it'll be perfect for my needs and completely unique. I am SOOOooo lazy though.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:23 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Also, cell in pocket is a safety thing - if someone tries to mug me (I do go to school in downtown Detroit, after all, not exactly the safest place and muggings happen regularly) I have my cell on me still to snap a photo of them, call the police, etc.

That's another reason I advocate the bra-pocket. I put my phone and some money in there if I have to walk places in which I'm not comfortable, so if my bag is stolen, I've got my phone and I can get somewhere safe.

Enid

Postby Enid » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:31 am UTC

mochafairy wrote:Pockets, pockets...

I normally keep my ID, cell phone, pump, some cash, and credit card in my pockets. I have found that guy pants do have way better pockets (Levi's 514! Flattering on me and huge pockets! and most people can't tell the difference). I have shit-tons (yes, it is a unit of measurement in my universe) of stuff I carry in my backpack for classes (note books, laptop, charger, text books, pens, pencils, medical supplies, DS, DS games, head phones...) because once I leave, I generally don't go back to my room, so I try to keep what I need on a regular basis in my pockets.

It's incredibly frustrating how many pj's lack pockets. I've resorted to work-out shorts that have pockets for pj bottoms. I know most people don't see the need to have pockets for sleeping, but it's rather annoying putting an insulin pump in your bra for sleeping. So, if anyone knows of cute pj shorts that have pockets (real pockets), let me know where to find them.

I don't know about pj shorts, but I always wear guys' plaid pajama bottoms, which always seem to have pockets. My roommate gave me a ton that he had outgrown and it makes me very happy. I think they look pretty good and they are comfy as hell.

Purse wise I have to have an across the body strap. I keep my phone in my pocket if I have one, sometimes keys. The gender expectation kinda annoys me, but having a bag is far too useful to give up. I just try to convince my guy friends to carry them as well. Maybe I should withhold bandaids and painkillers and such so that they start having to have their own...

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

Anyone in need of more vulvae?

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

Out-of-the-blue topic!

Mommy-ing instinct: the only reason i don't 100% think I'd eat my spawn is that every time I find a helpless little creature I feel compelled to take care of it the very best I can.

Bother.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Anyone in need of more vulvae?

I just do not get things like this. The cuddly uteri are kind of amusing/cute, but the necklaces are just a bit odd. Why would you wear a vagina necklace?
Oh well, each to their own and all that...

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:57 am UTC

I thought the vagina pillow with a secret pocket for a vibrator was funny. If someone is down with having a vagina pillow on display, will they really want/need to hide their vibrator?

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:59 am UTC

I don't know why, but I love this one and this one.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:47 am UTC

I'll just echo both crowey and mocha. Interesting find, e_e!
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:54 am UTC

Very awesome! Though, I do like the my I <3 guts uterus more.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

In some cultures men wear penis pendants to encourage virility and sexual prowess so that might be why.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

I would wear lady bit jewelery. I already have male reproductive system pearl earrings (a penis and a sperm, or maybe a nose and snot, either way, naturally produced shapes lovingly made into earrings by wonderful Meaux). Meaux created an IUD necklace too! It is super cool and I told her I would be forced to marry her is she gave me one. Since she has already agreed to live with me when we are grownups in a house, I am already pleased.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Edit:
Dear Uterus,

A surprise party for 'Wee no baby blood celebration'? You shouldn't have. Really. This is the second month in a row you are a week early. I could have sworn I ovulated, like, last week. So, um, should I be worried about you? Can you no longer tell time?

<3
turtle

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

I would really like vuvla sculptures, larger than life size, on my wall. Not on a necklace (our culture has a nudity taboo, esp. about genitalia, I usually respect that, and if I was going to fight it, I'd probably go to the beach naked rather than carry an image of my genitals on my neck), but in a place that I am often nude in.

On the question of purses versus not, I just made myself a new pocket that goes on a belt last night (I made my last one from jeans, and I made some edges too square and it looked more than a little ratty). Below are images spoiled for poor-quality cell phone image, mismatching blacks, and blur.
Spoiler:
Here's a blurry one of the new back pocket on jeans.

Here's the same new pocket on black slacks.

Here is my old jean pocket and my new black one, the first image with the top of jean one open, and the bottom with the top of jean closed. (Sorry about the cat in the second image.)

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

On a totally different note. Happy boyfriend news/bragging!

My boyfriend and I were cuddling after sex and completely out of the blue he just asked "What will you do if we get pregnant?" We. At first I thought it was a language thing (He's still learning english. Language barriers FTW) but then I realized that it was intentional. I'm not sure why but this gave me super confidence in him and our relationship. It seems to prove that he really will stand by me no matter what. He's already accepted and understands the two panic attacks/flashbacks I've had during sex. And the few times I've said stop, even uncertainly, he did, immediately.
I guess I just want to brag a bit. I'd started to doubt that boys like this actually exist.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

Huzzah for awesome partners!! :D
that's really cool, Aardvark.

I kind of want to brag now...

meridian

Postby meridian » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

I was reading over the last few pages and a memory came to mind. I wished to ask the thread, who here sleeps in a bra -and- underwire or wireless? I don't, but my sister does. When I found this out, I was a teensy bit floored by it because I find bras completely uncomfortable and vile and only a necessary evil. At the same time, my sister's and my breast makeups are different. I have more wrap around breast tissue and more firmness where hers do less of this (I do /not/ want to say sag because she has great breasts, just ask her husband). We're both C cups though. Does this factor into the bra/no bra sleepware situation?

And to chime in on shoes: I loved doc martens for my feet; they would last a year and a half before they needed some insoles to counteract the foot wear and tear. My family loves their merrils if that is a good review. I am in the market for new foot wear because since giving up my docs, I've started developing blisters in nearly every shoe I own. I have since gone vegan and have given up the leather, so the doc martens are no longer an option. Any other suggestions for similar support?

and Pockets: While I enjoy a good fitted pair of pants, something I've started loving since putting on weight after high school, I lament the pockets. Nothing stays in them! I lose everything from safety pins to cell phones, especially in the bathroom where I don't want my belongings to pop out and land in some germ infested public restroom. (The act of extricating my hips from pants ends up turning out the pockets and strewning things everywhere. If the pockets do snap or button closed (or retain belongings), they have tendency to wear out or pull the clothes in a funny way. I have some purses now because of these reasons, but I am really truly in love with coin purses - especially ones that fit my cards and IDs and such. I had one that included a chapstick and that was heaven.

And now I am done rambling!
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

@Enuja: I need to make myself some of those belt pockets. That is an awesome idea.

I usually don't sleep in a bra, just because a bra is one of the articles of clothing I take off at night. I like being free when I sleep. I sleep in my bra when I'm traveling and have to spend the night in the car or something, but that's uncommon.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

A friend of mine showed me this "mini urban holster" from Etsy as a purchasable alternative to the pockets on a belt that I make myself. I'm thinking of getting one, because they look like they'd sit better on my belt-loop-less waist than the things I've made do, and they look, if not dressier, at least a little more professional. Of course, having more than one belt pocket would lose the "I don't have to transfer stuff advantage".

On bras and sleeping: I'm so small that I don't wear a bra at night or during the day. I own a few, and occasionally put them on if I'm feeling particularly jiggly (and don't want to), but I usually just wear an undershirt instead of bra when I'm trying to look presentable.

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

I don't know if people had seen these Gadget Hip Holsters on ThinkGeek? They look pretty nifty, but I can imagine they do not go with many outfits.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Return to “General”