[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.net

Postby poxic » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Amazing, isn't it. You find a place where women are allowed to just *be*, and it attracts you like an open door calls to a puppy.

The Woman thread is alive. Long live the Woman Thread. :wink:
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:16 am UTC

10/10

(I've never ranked a pagetopper, but yeah, that's a great one!)

When I first saw this thread, I was scared off a bit.
Then I lurked and read some.
Then I realized "oh wow, some good info!"
Then I started posted.
Then I got sucked in and I like this thread a lot. :)

*hugs*
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:19 am UTC

Im starting to get bored of sex.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:29 am UTC

This reminds me...

Last call for Woman-thread Secret Santa!

If you want to join a smaller version of the XKCD Secret Santa 2009, one limited to participants in the Woman Thread, then PM me by the end of this coming Monday, November 16 with the details. See the earlier post, around the middle of the previous page (p. 509 of this thread). The rules are the same as for the main exchange.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:32 am UTC

Ivora wrote:Im starting to get bored of sex.

Funny, so am I. It's starting to morph into dreading it the way I dread fulfilling unpleasant obligations. We haven't had sex in over a week and I feel like I should start something when he gets home from work today but I'm not really in the mood but I feel guilty for not being the high-sex-drive woman he used to think I was. :(

We had a discussion ages and ages ago where he said that he would have difficulty being in a relationship where they had sex less than once every few weeks and it's turned into a motherfucking deadline in my head where I am afraid he will break up with me if I don't have sex with him often enough even during my stressed out times when I temporarily have no sex drive.

Sometimes I fantasize about that magical far-off day when I will have no issues with sex whatsoever, and it won't be so much bloody hard mental and physical effort to even have a tiny, lukewarm orgasm. What is wrong with me?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:41 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:

Funny, so am I. It's starting to morph into dreading it the way I dread fulfilling unpleasant obligations. We haven't had sex in over a week and I feel like I should start something when he gets home from work today but I'm not really in the mood but I feel guilty for not being the high-sex-drive woman he used to think I was. :(

We had a discussion ages and ages ago where he said that he would have difficulty being in a relationship where they had sex less than once every few weeks and it's turned into a motherfucking deadline in my head where I am afraid he will break up with me if I don't have sex with him often enough even during my stressed out times when I temporarily have no sex drive.

Sometimes I fantasize about that magical far-off day when I will have no issues with sex whatsoever, and it won't be so much bloody hard mental and physical effort to even have a tiny, lukewarm orgasm. What is wrong with me?

LOL so Im not alone on this, huh?

Talk about preaching to the choir. :roll:

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:46 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Sometimes I fantasize about that magical far-off day when I will have no issues with sex whatsoever, and it won't be so much bloody hard mental and physical effort to even have a tiny, lukewarm orgasm. What is wrong with me?

Whatever's "wrong" with you, I've got it too.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:51 am UTC

Wow. Is this a problem?

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:

I was in a situation like that once, or twice...

If he will dump you because you're not having "enough" sex, then he doesn't respect you and you deserve better. Having the expectation of "x amount of sex" is not okay, no matter if he blatantly stated it or it's being implied.

Someone said this to me, and I think it's appropriate:
"If xe will dump you if you stop doing x, then think of it this way: xe's only staying because you do x."

I'm speaking from my experiences, so I may be rambling complete randomness.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

podbaydoor, I also remember things my SO said a long time ago, and sometimes those things are no longer relevant. Additionally, I used to think that I needed sex at least once a week, but it turns out that I'm OK going 6 months without. So I've had both my "requirements" and my SO's "requirements" change. I think it's really important to be aware of your deal breakers, pay attention to how they change, and communicate about them. It really sounds like you should tell your SO that you're stressed, not feeling sexy, and you're feeling guilty about not feeling sexy. Sharing it should help you, and might solve the problem before it occurs.

And I'm sending sex-positive vibes your way! If orgasming is a lot of work, for a small amount of payoff, why bother? You can be sex positive without being orgasm oriented.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

I like the woman thread because the conversation actually flows like a real conversation--it's not getting derailed really, it just flows in a different direction. Also Woman Thread, you got me started using the diva cup and I will be eternally grateful.

I also like that I can get advice about clothing/sex/shoes/girlpart issues from a wide array of people.
Rice Puddin.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

I loves loves loves the woman thread! <3
(Had to join in on the appreciation!)
You lot are fun, friendly, knowledgable, helpful, interesting, witty, humourous, and outright awesome.
Yayness for the Woman Thread.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:28 pm UTC

Yea, it always just feels like an ongoing conversation, and is incredibly helpful. I wouldn't have started using the mooncup or gotten an IUD without it...the first is definitely a good thing, and the second is seeming like it so far! (Halfway through my first period with the IUD, except it doesn't really count I don't think because I just stopped taking my pills, so I guess it's still just a withdrawal bleed, and I won't know for sure how it is until next month? Been slightly more crampy than usual, but no heavier. As long as the bleeding stops when it should (I've had spotting since I got it put in), I will class it as a success so far, anyway...)
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

Yes, the woman thread is wonderful. The conversation does flow quite naturally. And I'm definitley going to try the diva/moon cup when I get stuff sorted at the drs.
It's nice having a wide range of opinions and experiences in one place, and everyone's so supportive :)

Dr's ramble:
Spoiler:
I'm quite nervous about my drs tomorrow. Background: I've got PCOS, was put on Cerazette, haven't had a period in over a year. I moved away from uni for a year and the doctors were useless, dismissing my worries about lack of period in someone who's at a high risk of cancers because of lack of regular period. I've had this dr reccommended to me by a friend who also has PCOS, so I'm hoping she'll be nice, but I know I'm not very assertive, so am quite scared I'll end up going along with what she says regardless and will come away feeling frustrated and angry at myself. Wish me luck, ladies!
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:Wish me luck, ladies!

Luck!!! *hug*
milk from space is good for you!

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

Much luck, and sympathy hugs from me.

I have a somewhat similar doctor's appointment in about two weeks, and I admit to being more than a little scared. I'm (probably unnecessarily) afraid that my symptoms (really just mad irregularity) will turn out to be something bad. I've really had quite enough health problems in my past and don't want to address another one.

Somewhat related (to doctor appointments, but not specifically lady issues) thing:
Spoiler:
I'm scared of more than just what the doctor might say. I'm scared to set foot in that hospital, and even more, to have any blood tests done. I spent about five years of my life when I was very young visiting this exact hospital, anywhere from overnight stays to weekly. I came out of that experience with a deep uneasiness anywhere near hospitals, and a near-crippling fear of needles. I've avoided that specific hospital at all costs since then for fear of it triggering a panic attack or something, but I've got an appointment with an apparently very highly regarded doctor who, as far as I can tell, agreed to see me at least partially based on my novel-length and somewhat interesting file. I don't want to have to start being reminded so forcibly of that time in my life again, but there's not really any way around it. I hope I don't totally fall apart while I'm in there. I'm scared.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:08 am UTC

Luck, and some homemade applesauce!

I love this thread, too. Every time I panic about something, all of you wonderful, intelligent, and lovely women talk to me without treating me like I'm silly or assuming that I only think I'm afraid. I love all of you.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:10 pm UTC

Good luck to both of you. *hugs* for both.

update on my earlier postings...
Spoiler:
So. That was a long second surprise shark week. Lasted a whole frikin' week instead of just about 5 days. Also, wtf, cramps for most of the week not just the first day or two? I hate you now, uterus. You used to be decently friendly to me. Let's be friends again?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

Thanks for all the luck and hugs and applesauce :)
The Dr explained all the options to me and sent me away with some info to look over. Does anyone have any experience with the Dianette pill?
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

@Enuja and mochafairy: Thank you for the advice. I've actually worked my way up to some small foreplay, and I'm blessed that he doesn't and hasn't pressured me into sex in any way. It's just the thought that I know he wants it in the first place that's creating all the guilt.

I've been thinking back on the days when we were having sex every few days or every day and, oh dear, I wasn't doing it for exactly healthy reasons back then, either. How has someone like me - no traumatic experiences, no abuse, nothing to really complain about - managed to fuck myself up so thoroughly over something so basic?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:31 pm UTC

Because nothing is ever really so simple--and sometimes you need to take time and sort out what your motivations were/are.
Rice Puddin.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

Yay for names being drawn on elfster!
Uh, how do I find out where someone lives, so I can mail them something?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

I thought the elfster secret santa wasn't being used any more? That's why I signed up for the other secret santa in the fora. If the elfster one's still being used I'll put my name up on here and give whoever got my name the name that I was drawn. That way everyone still gets something and I don't get something even though I'm not taking part.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Teapot wrote:I thought the elfster secret santa wasn't being used any more? That's why I signed up for the other secret santa in the fora. If the elfster one's still being used I'll put my name up on here and give whoever got my name the name that I was drawn. That way everyone still gets something and I don't get something even though I'm not taking part.
This, pretty much. I was quite confused when I got the email...

So. Twitter

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

I didn't know how to turn Elfster off, sorry guys. :(
milk from space is good for you!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:51 am UTC

ah ok.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

Okay, so I want curls that look something like this and I need a large curling iron. The thing is, I have really thick hair and the normal drugstore curling irons just won't work on my hair. I have one of those hair straighteners that allow for curling, but all the curls end up in the same direction. Anybody have any good brands of curling irons they'd like to recommend? Or, alternatively: How the hell to I use hot rollers?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

Would ordinary rollers do? Because they're easy.
Wash hair. Split it into sections to suit the rollers [you probably want large rollers for that style]. Roll hair up and clip into position [by magic! And hair clips]. Blowdry [or sleep on it]. Easy. Just be sure your hair is dry before you take it down or you'll lose the curls.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

Hot rollers and rollersets can be a pain in the ass to put in yourself. Hell, they can be a pain to put in other people's hair. For hair as thick as yours, I would start practicing with rollers, but until you get the hang of it you might just have to go for the biggest curling iron you can find. I'm no good with curling iron brands b/c I used Marcel irons, which also take a lot of practice and the burn potential is greater, however I have never found one that works better than others, as far as "picked it up at target" brands go. Chi makes good products. Vidal Sasoon makes good products. TIGI makes good products. You are just going to have to curl smaller sections at a time. try also a lower heat for a longer duration, if there is a heat setting.

tip on rollers: you can buy these little papers called End papers or Perm wrapping papers at any beauty supply store (Sally's) and they are great for wet-setting your hair in rollers b/c they control the ends. I don't know if they'll work with hot rollers as I've never used those, so you might test one out to make sure it doesn't catch fire. They are good for cold wet-sets though. You might also try velcro rollers. Also, practice with placement because certain angles and sets will give you different amounts of volume at the roots and through-out the style.

Last hairstylist thing: you can curl your hair with *any*thing. That look, those curls, are going to be determined by the styling products you use. I'm going to guess and say that they have a leave-in conditioner, a thermal protectant, mousse for volume at the roots, possibly a smoothing cream/working spray, and at least two kinds of finishing spray: one for solid hold at the roots and a medium hold working spray on the curls. If you can find Aquage anywhere (in salons) they make THE BEST thermal protectant/working spray.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:Last hairstylist thing: you can curl your hair with *any*thing. That look, those curls, are going to be determined by the styling products you use. I'm going to guess and say that they have a leave-in conditioner, a thermal protectant, mousse for volume at the roots, possibly a smoothing cream/working spray, and at least two kinds of finishing spray: one for solid hold at the roots and a medium hold working spray on the curls. If you can find Aquage anywhere (in salons) they make THE BEST thermal protectant/working spray.

Leave-in conditioner: Check
Thermal Protectant: Check
Mousse: I tend to avoid any product listed for volume. My hair is GIGANTIC if I curl it anyway. True story.
Hairspray: Check and Check
All of the above either being TIGI products or stuff from Aveda (I really really like how that stuff smells).

What size barrel would you recommend? I would mind using something like a Marcel Iron, just because my hair is a tough mofo. And I have gotten curling my hair with my straightener (one of those with the rounded sides) to around 20-25 minutes. I am very much a wash and wear kind of girl, so this is kind of a new thing.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

I have aveda hair stuff--phomollient--but it's for my really fine hair. I really want to do a finger wave in it one day if I ever have the patience to fiddle with my hair that long.
Rice Puddin.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:I have aveda hair stuff--phomollient--but it's for my really fine hair. I really want to do a finger wave in it one day if I ever have the patience to fiddle with my hair that long.
I have that stuff! :D
It seems fine I guess. I don't use it much because I don't use hair stuff much. Like ever.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

Grah, continuing the "now my uterus hates me" saga, spoilered for Amy in a bitchy ranty mood.
Spoiler:
So, shark week part 2 ended two days ago. Yet, I'm still getting cramps, and I just feel plain ol' crappy. Is it the lack of sleep? I dunno, it would be nice if I could actually, you know, sleep at nights. Last week I've had probably 20-25 hours of sleep total. Not enough for 7 days/nights. Is it the fact that I feel so sick to my stomach because I'm crampy that if I eat I feel worse so therefore, I am skipping meals? (I know, I know, I just can't figure out what i can eat without feeling worse!). Is it the stress of my huge final I just took? I mean, I really hate the "oh it's stress" excuse, I really do. Yeah it sometimes does shit to a body, but I deal with stress and new stressors all the time, so what about this would be any different from the last big exam I took? I dunno. Is it that I'm getting migraines again, more steadily - as in every afternoon/evening one hits? Or is the migraine from the crampy ness? I tend to get more migraines at the start of SharkWeek when I'm crampy. So...are they related? Is it just everything? Is my body just screwed up? Grahhhhhhhhhhhh.
*rants and rages* I know I don't help by not getting sleep. Not my choice to have nightmares and nightterrors that are again so bad I am scared to sleep so I can't relax and then I don't sleep even if I could. Not my choice that eating makes me want to puke or makes my cramps worse, so I don't. I dunno, I can't win, and I'm sick of it.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

Have a homemade brownie, Sungura.

I think I'm stressing myself into a period. For the past two days, there's been little brown smears in my pants like I'm about to start bleeding. My class load is insanely tough this year, so I'd expect the stress to keep the periods away. Normally I'm not this stressed even during spring finals. Serves me right for wanting to graduate a year early from high school.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:30 am UTC

Shro wrote:
parkaboy wrote:Last hairstylist thing: you can curl your hair with *any*thing. That look, those curls, are going to be determined by the styling products you use. I'm going to guess and say that they have a leave-in conditioner, a thermal protectant, mousse for volume at the roots, possibly a smoothing cream/working spray, and at least two kinds of finishing spray: one for solid hold at the roots and a medium hold working spray on the curls. If you can find Aquage anywhere (in salons) they make THE BEST thermal protectant/working spray.

Leave-in conditioner: Check
Thermal Protectant: Check
Mousse: I tend to avoid any product listed for volume. My hair is GIGANTIC if I curl it anyway. True story.
Hairspray: Check and Check
All of the above either being TIGI products or stuff from Aveda (I really really like how that stuff smells).

What size barrel would you recommend? I would mind using something like a Marcel Iron, just because my hair is a tough mofo. And I have gotten curling my hair with my straightener (one of those with the rounded sides) to around 20-25 minutes. I am very much a wash and wear kind of girl, so this is kind of a new thing.

I loooove Aveda too. For those curls, as big a barrel as you can find. I haven't seen any that are more than 3in in diameter, and even those I don't see often. If you can't find that, just whatever the largest size you can manage is ok because curls will loosen up as the day goes by and you can run your fingers through them directly after curling to break them up and give them that tousled look too.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:38 am UTC

Every time I see one of those makeover shows where they are doing curls like that, they seem to 1) apply product of some sort 2) put the hair into rollers (I think just regular ones, not hot ones) and 3) blow dry. I have tried this on my own hair, but I seem to have way too much hair to use that technique, because there isn't enough room on my head for as many rollers as it takes, and I put as much hair per roller as I can.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:24 am UTC

The Woman Thread Secret Santa emails have been sent! If you didn't get one and thought you should, let me know ASAP! I can still fix my booboos at this point. :oops:

If possible, try to get your gifts into the mail by December 1, or shortly thereafter. If there will be a delay, let me know so I can tell your giftee not to worry. If you're sending something by email or other near-instant delivery mechanism, you can probably wait until Dec 15th if you want. (If you've invented a way to send physical packages nearly instantly, let me know so I can steal the patent er, keep informed, yeah.)

AND GO! Have fun, sisters of the WTSS!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:30 pm UTC

Secret santa proof. I hope someone here enjoys their gift.
Spoiler:
receipt.JPG
receipt.JPG (64.61 KiB) Viewed 3884 times

Yeah... I'm like that... :\

casiguapa

Postby casiguapa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

I met Eve Ensler and Sandi Toksvig yesterday. They both hugged me and asked me to run for Prime Minister.

I was so happy. Then someone stole my bag with my entire life inside it (passport, keys, wallet, everything) so it kind of ruined the day.

But did I mention I met Eve Ensler and Sandi Toksvig and they were both awesome?! :D
<SugarTits> What's a penis?
<Casiguapa> Heisenberg

Shpow

Postby Shpow » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

Ivora wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:

LOL so Im not alone on this, huh?

Talk about preaching to the choir. :roll:

Considering I plan on waiting until marriage he should be fine without a fix for a few weeks.
On the surface, in view, an unnamed member,
Underneath that, a flame amidst the embers.
And in that surge of flames ne'er growing fainter,
Lies the beauty of art in the young painter.

Cute Jailbait, belonging to DJorgensen!

Return to “General”