[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Bin

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.net

Postby Bin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

Old Navy Jeans tend to not cinch in enough for me, so they stick straight up behind my bum, making it look like a line and not a curve...

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Old navy actually carries stuff for non-stick with-hips people? My vauge memory from 9th grade when I went there once was that everything was like a juniors style and hence never fit me.

See, that's why I put my post in small text. I'm Asian and have next to no curves. In fact, as much as I like American Eagle, I sadly had to conclude that none of their jeans would ever fit me because they make jeans for people with butts bigger than my skinny ass. Even the size 1 jeans had too much bagginess in the bum area (and when I tried a size 0 I couldn't get it around my hips and my legs felt like sausage casings). Whereas Old Navy for some reason - at least their small sizes - has jeans with butts that actually fit my body.

On the other hand, I own a collection of too-large baggy and boy-cut jeans anyway, just 'cause they're much more comfortable. The size 1s are for situations when I want to look nicer.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

Yeah... my no-boy-ass works...
Because I have no ass. And no curves. Just a few small bumps. goosebumps.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

I have a pretty big butt, and a very hourglassy shape, Old Navy jeans fit me just fine. Their styles for "curvy" people fit a little better than the kind designed to sit really low on the hips, but they both work. I wear a smaller size in the classic fit jeans than I do in the hipster jeans. I have never tried on a pair of skiny jeans, because I suspect I'd look like an upsidedown pear.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

I have an awful time finding jeans that don't gape wide open above my backside, even when I wear "curvy" styles. I need to just give up on trying to make the waistbands lie flat under belts and put in triangular darts. I have one pair of skinny jeans that I ONLY wear with boots. I just don't like having that much of my figure on display.

Flightless_bird

Postby Flightless_bird » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

I don't have any luck with jeans so I've basically given up. I mostly wear pantyhose and in the winter thicker ones with boots. I wear jeans maybe once in a month. It's just easier.
Trying is the first step towards failure

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

Ok lasses, it is photo story time.
Spoiler:
Photo 174.jpg
A package. A package addressed to internet-me, containing a bag! Whatever could be inside?

Photo 175.jpg
My favourite of all possible chocolate treats. You have already won my heart, Secret Santa.

Photo 178.jpg

Photo 176.jpg
Something wicked this way comes.

And then, and then, the best part. Plush toy cat!
Photo 184.jpg
You're a kitty!

Thank you, Secret Santa dragon!
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

najradanti

Postby najradanti » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

I have a terrible time finding jeans (or any pants, really) that fit me, too; if they fit at the waist they're always WAY too short at the legs and if they're long enough for my legs they're always wide enough to fit two of me into. I kind of like skirts but I don't have any long ones I could wear in winter. Maybe I should remedy this.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

I have a hard time with jeans too. Low rise is way too low for me usually--though with a belt cinched a whole lot it can be ok.

Best fits: Dish jeans, or a midrise Gap pair I have. No luck for me with Old Navy-the rise is funny for me.
Rice Puddin.

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:45 am UTC

I always buy the cheaper, slightly stretchy jeans from the teeny bopper clothing places. Though I can't stand those super low-rise ones. I'm also bad for occasionally wearing drainpipes and skinny jeans.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:55 am UTC

on topic thought: Skinny jeans look silly on me because my calves are only slightly smaller than my thighs. I end up with jeans that grip really well to the lower half of my legs, and then are all baggy around the thighs/hip/ass. I usually buy my jeans from the juniors department because the asses (in general) are smaller. I just have to watch out what I wear with them because they ride very very low. Although lately I've been finding jeans that are measured in inseams for sizes - my last purchased pair a couple months ago were calvin kleins and they fit soo nicely! In terms of styles, flare legs and wide legs are my faves.

off topic thought: Someone in this world really loves me. That person invented the sweaterdress. I honestly believe it is impossible for me to not look completely fetching in one.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:01 am UTC

I am quite the fan of skinny jeans and have phased out most other styles of jeans from my wardrobe. Well, except my huge 70's flares. I find skinny jeans more versatile to style. However, with all jeans, I have major problems with them keeping their shape around the waist on me after a few washes. Everything starts to gape and I have to wear a belt, so that the world doesn't have to see the sight of my ass/kickers.

studyinserendipity wrote:
off topic thought: Someone in this world really loves me. That person invented the sweaterdress. I honestly believe it is impossible for me to not look completely fetching in one.

Ooh! I love, love, LOVE sweater dresses too! Especially the ones with nice big cowl necks. I love the way they make me look slinky. Team it with some super, super bright wooley tights and you're on to a winner. I'm wearing one right now for Christmas day with my family. :)
i dare you to take me on...

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:33 pm UTC

On jeans: Levis, surprisingly, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, fits me. I have no ass & short legs, which usually makes jean shopping a nightmare. And they were the third pair I tried on, because it's gotten so. damn. hard. to find junior's jeans without distressing/embellishments.
But I always have to wear a belt, I'm super-long torsoed and jeans usually sit right on the widest part of my hips, giving them nothing to stay up with. Old Navy men's belts? Awesome & unfussy. And leather.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

I refused to wear skinny jeans for a long time, believing them to be the most unflattering cut, especially for my body. I've always felt pear-shaped and thought skinny jeans would just make my hips and thighs look huge. I finally tried some on after two people told me they really thought I'd look good in them. And now it's what I wear most of the time. I haven't gotten rid of my old flare jeans, though. I just don't wear them often.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:59 pm UTC

Has the Secret Santa I sent arrived? I think it should have. If not, I put a return address on it but it's not the addy I'm currently at, so will have to deal with it after New Year's.

I really like skinny jeans though I've only had one pair, and they were the most perfectest thing to wear out into town with my new pair of heels (which are red and black tartan-ish, so difficult to match with skirts and tops). Unfortunately I ended up having a drunken 'how low can you go on the dance floor' competition with one of my male friends, which resulted in a loud ripping noise... must go shopping for some more! In the last few months I've now ripped 2 skirts and my only pair of skinny jeans, although a few stitches fixed the skirts. I don't think I'm made for women's clothes, or perhaps learning to dance in a kilt was the issue? I went looking for some tops in a similar red to the shoes the other day, and a simple red going-out top was $30-$40 and didn't look right. So I went to the op-shop and got 3 for $21! :D That's the problem with jeans though, you can never find the damn things at an op-shop, if by some miracle you find a pair you like the style of, they will NOT fit. By the way... what's a sweater dress?

Anyways I hope everyone has had an awesome Christmas Day? Any fave or extra-special pressies? How did y'all spend the day?

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:11 am UTC

I'm not sure how the SS is going...I didn't get anything, from this or the forum-wide one. :( My luck with santas is not good! I have done one other SS on a different forum, I didn't get anything then either. I guess shall hope for the best that it is on the way still. :) I know I was a bit late in sending this one myself (although my person should get hers soon, it was one day late for "guaranteed Christmas" so if she doesn't have it now it will be in the next few days).
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:54 am UTC

Don't worry Sungura, you won't miss out for the forum-wide one. I'm running through my lists now to PM possible deadbeats. I've told anyone who has contacted me with problems regarding their gifts to carry on and just try to get things done as soon as possible, regardless of whether it gets there by Christmas or not. It's only one day past, not time to be disappointed yet. :D
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote: what's a sweater dress?

Here are a few examples of sweater dresses, Plasmic-Turtle. They're a really stylish way of keeping warm in the winter. Speaking of which, I recieved a sweater dress similar to the grey one, but in hot pink from my mother for crimbles. It's so soft.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

Maybe silly for the women thread but I know you'll see it here! <random> Jessica, I had a dream last night with you in it. We went out to a pub and then dancing. It was fun! It was the most random dream though, especially since I actually drank some at the pub, and apparently I knew how to ballroom dance all of a sudden.</random>
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

heh. Cool :D
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:22 am UTC

How... do I wear long mid-calf skirts in the winter, anyway? I never really got the hang of wearing skirts, period, but I like pretty skirts... I just never seem to have any tops that look good, and then I always feel like I have to wear sandals. (I actually have only one skirt, for these reasons...) The idea of wearing leggings or opaque tights underneath has just entered my consciousness, but then I don't know what kind of shoes to wear. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to fashion. I can pull off a little bit of layering, but this whole fashion thing really does escape me :oops:

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:52 am UTC

Kithplana - I really wish I was somewhere cold so I could wear skirts, leggings and boots all layered up. There was a conversation about shoes for winter a while ago, here you go. Tights definitely work with most shoes, especially boots and little flat shoes.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:49 am UTC

I wear above the knee skirts in winter, because I pretty much only own above the knee skirts. They start annoying me if they get longer than that. Anyway, I wear leggings (with long underwear underneath when it's especially cold), thick socks, legwarmers, and mid-calf high boots. It it's not quite as cold, I'll wear a pair or two of thick tights and ballet flats, but it's almost always boots in the winter if I'm wearing skirts.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

I bought some jeans at American Eagle during the Boxing Day rush. In order to get out fast I just picked the size that fits me with most jeans and got out of there. They are too big, but I already took the tags off. Will they take them back as long as I have the receipt?

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

That depends entirely on American Eagle's return policy. I suggest consulting the back of your receipt.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

I have no idea about American Eagle, but surely they ought to exchange sizes, at least? The store I work at does, with a receipt.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:I wear above the knee skirts in winter, because I pretty much only own above the knee skirts. They start annoying me if they get longer than that. Anyway, I wear leggings (with long underwear underneath when it's especially cold), thick socks, legwarmers, and mid-calf high boots. It it's not quite as cold, I'll wear a pair or two of thick tights and ballet flats, but it's almost always boots in the winter if I'm wearing skirts.

I pretty much do exactly all of this as all my skirts/dresses are above the knee. Except without the long underwear, because i'm crap and don't own any thermal undies despite living in Scotland. I need to get on that.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:18 pm UTC

Cammy wrote:I bought some jeans at American Eagle during the Boxing Day rush. In order to get out fast I just picked the size that fits me with most jeans and got out of there. They are too big, but I already took the tags off. Will they take them back as long as I have the receipt?

I can't say for certain, but they're pretty likely to still return them. Especially if you kept the tags and are able to bring them back with the jeans, so they can just reattach them.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:34 am UTC

Plasmic turtle - your gift has arrived! Thank you especially for the calendar - I needed one and it's pretty awesome. Are all the pictures yours?

I will wrangle some images for the women thread shortly, assuming I do not fall off the planet in the meantime. ._.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Ahh, jeans. I literally cannot remember the last time I wore them. My last pair, though, were the only ones I'd gotten since age 12, since between 12-17 the same size fit me.

Then againn, I wear my denim skirt like most people wear jeans, though I'm unfashionably rocking the long underwear AND pants underneath the skirt while I'm in Boston. Fortunately with an almost-ankle-length skirt, as long as your boots go high enough no one has to notice that you're wearing pants under, and it makes me less nervous of flashing everybody. How I manage to be in danger of that when wearing that long a skirt is anybody's guess.

Also, heating pads are nice. Completely random uterine pain unrelated to menstruation since the insertion of Mr. IUD is not nice.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

I have to weight in on the sweater dress love. I have a turtle neck one, and it is nice and thick. With my warm tights and boots not only and I warm all day, but everyone tells me how good I look.
<3 sweater dresses.

For warm, I have a pair of tight yoga pants that I tuck into my boot. Knee height boot and almost knee length skirts tend to be good because there is not much of a gap to worry about.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:35 am UTC

WTSS gift is finished, and will be put into the mail tomorrow!
Assuming I successfully figured out how to send things first class international via the USPS, it should get to my Secret Santee within 10 days.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:55 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:I have to weight in on the sweater dress love. I have a turtle neck one, and it is nice and thick. With my warm tights and boots not only and I warm all day, but everyone tells me how good I look.
<3 sweater dresses.

For warm, I have a pair of tight yoga pants that I tuck into my boot. Knee height boot and almost knee length skirts tend to be good because there is not much of a gap to worry about.
This in its entirety, although my sweater dresses are scoop necks. They are the best thing with boots and tights because I feel stylish but also cozy and warm. I think this has inspired me to wear one of mine tomorrow, I've been languishing in jeans for too long. :)
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

I'm putting shopping for clothes on hold, until my new breasts are in. I want to make a clean start, and see what I can wear and what I can't.

But, my clothes in the mean time are a little... eh. I want others...

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

Jessica: maybe you could decorate some of the clothes you have? If you don't like sewing, then fabric markers and paint are easy and durable. If you do like sewing, then you could try these or these or just embroidery stitches.

I'll spoiler this for mild bitchiness and annoyance.
Spoiler:
I just love visiting my mom's side of my extended family. Dozens of middle-aged and elderly relatives who all know my name, even though I don't recognize a single one of them. The best part, though, is the dress requirements. It's prefectly okay if I wear jeans or a wild skirt with bright tights at home, but goodness forbid I even think about wearing anything that's not a skirt in subdued colors. Jeans are never okay, despite the fact that half of the men there wear jeans. The guys my age wear jeans with shredded holes in them and dirty tennis shoes, for crying out loud. I'm still not supposed to wear mint-condition jeans and well-kept hiking boots, even when we'll be spending the afternoon in a frigid, drafty old building.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

Isotope, wear a skirt and jeans? :p
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

HarleyQuinn

Postby HarleyQuinn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

I hate Shark Week.
Magnanimous wrote:I used to be really into nostalgia a few years ago. Man, those were the days.

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

HarleyQuinn wrote:I hate Shark Week.

Much sympathy. I had it + a heavy cold this month, and felt horribubble. Have a cookie - Image
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

HarleyQuinn wrote:I hate Shark Week.

I concur. Cramps are a bitch.
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:23 am UTC

Delalyra wrote:Isotope, wear a skirt and jeans? :p

I should try that next time. Wonder what my mom would say. :D

Return to “General”