[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.ne

Postby Moo » Mon May 24, 2010 7:57 am UTC

I've never thought of it as inappropriate to expose my underwear in public from a "people will have a problem with this" point of view (rather than a bit of "good girls don't do that" indoctronation). My instinctive reaction is far more like "it's not safe to do that". My breasts are something private to me. Breasts are very sexualised. Underwear that isn't a sports bra or shelved tank top to me is also something sexual. So I don't want to expose myself like that, it would make me feel vulnerable. The sight of a guy in boxers doesn't turn me on in the same way that I would worry the sight of just a woman's panties and bra might awaken some sexually predatory feelings in some. Please don't take that to mean all men, but I wouldn't want to find out if the men present were the type or not.

All this of course taking place in some alternate reality where I wouldn't do almost anything not to have to expose the bits of my body I'm far too embarrassed about for very different reasons, and could think of myself as sexually attractive based on appearance alone.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon May 24, 2010 7:58 am UTC

Males certainly can, although usually it's the result of something going haywire :P

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Mon May 24, 2010 8:02 am UTC

Ashlah wrote:I'm not really sure how, but one time I forgot to wear a bra to work, and it felt so weird and uncomfortable the whole time. I was convinced people could tell. I was wearing a cardigan over a t-shirt, so people probably couldn't, but...man it was weird.

As someone who spent a good deal of time in college distracted by the surrounding students, I can assure you that it's only obvious if you're wearing clothing that is very tight, very low-cut, or partially transparent.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon May 24, 2010 10:32 am UTC

I'm not sure it is unacceptable to change like that around people -- or maybe I've just decided it isn't, and so I don't let it be.

With rowing, when we have races, we often will change into our lycra by the side of the river, and while we pretty much keep ourselves covered as we do (pretty often wearing a skirt and pulling the lycra up under it, and then pulling the top of it up before taking our tops off), it's not really the end of the world if we don't. A couple of times I've taken my top off in the boat to wear just my lycra (our lycra is something like this, and when we're racing in the winter we sometimes wear a long sleeve top underneath, but often by the time we've warmed up before the race we don't want the top anymore), and while I might half pull my lycra up to cover my bra while taking my top off, it's not a huge worry, and I know I've seen other people (in my crew and in others) act the same way.

At my dance show, while we had a room set aside for getting ready, there were a lot of people including guys, and plenty of us didn't know each other, but most people were just getting changed as they needed to in the middle (or wherever their stuff was, but not making a big point of going in a corner or anything) of the room. A few people went into the toilets to change, but that was their own level of comfort making that decision, not the acceptability or anything.

So...I'm not sure. Maybe my experiences are just quite far from the norm? Or possibly it is just a case of me deciding it isn't/shouldn't be an issue, so just not making it one?
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon May 24, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

Yeah I'm not talking about running around topless (although in the ideal world, in my opinion, everyone should be able to run around naked and there should be no problems at all, but this world ain't ideal) but in a situation where you just want a fast change and have a bra and undies on...why is it so bad? In my brain it isn't and I've been in [mixed] groups that have done quick changing all together and like Cassi was saying just kinda kept to ourself during it and it was no big deal. But that's certainly not the norm where I am and mostly it's just been bothering me at these karate things. All the guys get to do it, but none of the gals do. Maybe next time I'll just try anyway so it's not such a hassle. I mean, I've even gotten strange looks in dressing rooms. The Kohl's I like to shop at was doing remodeling and had ONE fitting area open for the women - 6 stalls. And a line of about 10 people still. I just went into the hall area between the stalls and started to try on clothes anyway. I got a LOT of stares for just doing that - and we were /all women/. Seeing I was being gawked at I just said, "Hey, it's nothing you don't have!" and went back to trying on my clothes. The word of what I was doing must have been whispered back in the line 'cause a few min later someone I'm guessing from the back of the line came in to start doing the same. THEN more people joined as I was leaving. Maybe it was just "oh wow, she just cut a few spots and tried on stuff in the hall here, and she is already done! I don't want to wait either!! Screw having a private stall!"
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon May 24, 2010 1:06 pm UTC

Yeah there's no reason not to do what you have, and I've even been in factory shops who's dressing room is one big space with some mirrors. I don't particularly mind in all-women situations - which is odd because I really am very self conscious about my figure.

The Next factory store in Lakeside, England doesn't have fitting rooms so I've totally worn some leggings and a strappy top and tried things on on the shop floor there. I guess my dislike for hassle trumps my insecurity :)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon May 24, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

Cassi, my experiences have been similar to yours; relevant post is relevant.
GraphiteGirl wrote:I... can sort of vaguely imagine being comfortable being topless/nude in front of one group of friends - the theatre kids, of course. Back when I first met them, when I was costuming for a show last year, I was doing measurements in the middle of a rehearsal (we were short on times when the whole cast could get together) and I asked one girl to strip down as far as she felt comfortable doing in the group, so I could do a chest measurement and a waist measure and so on. She stripped to her bra, which was white and pretty and lacy (so, not perfectly opaque, and not the sort of bra that doesn't draw attention to itself) and I was the only person who was even a little surprised. They do a fair bit of work on stage that can require strange or even minimal costume, and a few of them also do or have done nude modelling for art photogrqaphy. I'm much more relaxed about body stuff since I started hanging out with them, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable stripping around any other group. Maybe it's because I know this group won't freak out, won't be constantly judging each other's bodies just because they can, and won't instantly start thinking about any naked person in a purely sexual way.

A thing I forgot to mention in that post was that everyone in this group is basically used to changing in front of one another in our cramped little change room, because the only alternative is to skulk off to a bathroom stall and miss out on in-changeroom chatter. (We only have one change room, so it's mixed gender.)
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon May 24, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

I get changed with everyone else at my kung fu and MMA clubs, only down to bra/pants, but if the guys can strip off to their boxers in front of everyone then they can knob off if they think I'm going to cower in the corner trying to hide myself while changing into my civvies :lol: I'm frequently the only woman there, but it's a totally non-threatening group of men, so it's not a problem. In fairness at MMA I'm often just in shorts and sports bra for the training sessions, so it's not that big a change anyway...

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Mon May 24, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

In the backstage of a theater, changing in front of other people is completely normal. This is one part of our society that is absolutely circumstantial, and can easily change in particular circumstances given the behavior of the people there. So, if you are comfortable, you might very well be able to change the local assumptions and make it OK for women to change for that particular group of people, as Sungura described for a fitting area in a store.

I've always been interested in the situation in women's locker rooms: it's OK to change there, but some people choose to change while under towels or clothes or in stalls, and other people choose to just take off their bathing suits without hiding anything. In middle and high school (I was living in the US South), everyone was expected to change under your clothes, and it wasn't OK to buck that trend. I've noticed that older women are much more likely to just let it all hang out. It's crazy how we live in one culture, where girls and women get the same messages about body image and propriety, with right now the very old having grown up in a society where showing one's body was really taboo, the upper middle age set having grown up in a fit of freedom, and everyone younger than that having grown up with very mixed messages. Maybe it's that the sexualization of women's bodies is related to youth in our culture, so older women feel less constrained. Maybe it's that older women have just had more time to get sick and tired of the addition fuss required to be more modest. Maybe it's something else entirely, a huge number of different factors, and maybe I'm completely wrong about the pattern.

Personally, I want to live in a society where nudity is not sexualized and is completely acceptable. (I also want to live in a society where sex is socially acceptable and not particularly private, but my interest in nudity being non-sexualized is a different and stronger desire.) I can't wave a wand and make that happen, but I can change without hiding under clothes in women's locker rooms, and I can change shirts or pants, leaving underwear on, in mixed gender changing situations where men feel comfortable changing.

Moo, I want to shoot our culture when you say that you feel fear for your safety when thinking about changing in public. Personally, I think that we are safer in numbers and there is no way to modest enough to prevent being a victim. But our culture does tell us that we're more likely to be victims if we aren't modest, and it tells predators that, too, which is a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm convinced that one larger single-gender restroom would be a lot safer than separate restrooms, and a bunch of other opposite-of-conventional-wisdom views of safety and modesty.

That said, I wear frumpy trousers most of the time and have done so since I realized the type of looks I was getting from other women in Wal-Mart. So I'm completely susceptible to cultural pressure to be modest.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon May 24, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

Even though I have some pretty conservative views on sex informed by my religion and conservative upbringing, I actually associate with your desire to see nudity desexualised. I guess that's quite odd but I totally agree with you. I can't find the words to eloquently further illucidate my view, though, frustratingly.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

Yeah I kinda know what you mean moo. Conservative upbringing that showing even a bit of clevage is wrong sort of thing...but yet...it confuses me as to why actually. During the karate-changing thing yesterday I actually said something to my two friends (both whom are older, one is probably late-30's other is late-40's) I was changing with with and one of them even said, "yeah I don't remember anything against it in the Bible so I'm not really sure where the tabooness came from other than society". I guess it's probably as Poxic said, a combo of 1 & 2 (her feminist reason and a "how I was raised" reason). It just really annoys me. I was fine trying to change it in the fitting room scenario - all older women no young girls so I wouldn't be offending parents or something. While *I* would feel perfectly comfortable trying to change the views at karate, a lot of the people there are quite conservative in beliefs actually, and a lot of families with kids from 5+ so I worry about more offending them than anything else. If everyone there was older/an adult I wouldn't mind, but parents can get weird about their kids seeing what they deem as "inappropriate". Maybe I'll still do it sometime anyway. It's not like I'd be rude and stand out in the middle of the room, I'd find a side/corner like the guys do. Heh last time I almost didn't catch myself and was starting to pull off my shirt to switch it to a new non-sweaty clean one before I realized and stopped, so clearly I am fine enough with it I don't even think about it!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon May 24, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

One possible reason for nudity to be desexualised to some extent - our body does hundreds of useful things, and it seems unfair to associate nudity primarily with only one of them. It makes fascinating shapes, and can be beautiful in the way that art (when we modify it, or use it in art) and nature are beautiful. While it is understandable from a biological perspective that we are turned on by human forms that are attractive to us, that doesn't mean we can't appreciate nakedness for other reasons, and it doesn't mean we have to be overcome by lust whenever we see a naked body.
That said, I personally enjoy clothes and the way people put them together, and the opportunity to imagine a body beneath clothing rather than see one, too much to want to, say, live in a nudist colony. Bodies are pretty cool, and it's not the greatest state of being to always have to associate nudity with sex, but clothes are also pretty cool, and I like spending the majority of my time in public clothed, basically. In private is another issue entirely - there's something really relaxed and intimate about spending time naked with someone with whom you are involved, not necessarily doing anything sexual, just reveling in the fact that you're so comfortable with one another's bodies that nakedness is easy and feels entirely right. I think at the moment I primarily like the intimacy of being naked with someone, and so in that sense nudity is still, to an extent, on a pedestal for me - it's not for just anyone. Yet, weirdly, I've thought about whether I'd be comfortable being naked for a part in a play, if the part was enhanced by it, and I think I would like to do that. Maybe I associate nudity primarily with both intimacy and art.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Mon May 24, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

Yeah, in theater there have been several shows where I've to go braless and wear super revealing panties for the costumes. Backstage you just dont have time to care who sees your nipples or undies or whatever. Most of my friends have seen me at least partially naked and I have yet to notice anyone caring. If I'm not sure about someone I just turn away or whatever. Nothing like theater to get you used to the human body. Then again I've always been pretty relaxed towards nudity. I spent a lot of times in museums as a kid and got over the Oh me yarm BOOBIES! thing pretty fast. In first grade when we went to MOMA I got really pissed off when a teacher wouldn't let me into an exhibit that included some photos of naked women. It was silly. It's just people.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon May 24, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

This is an issue that's always been confusing for me as well. Back in middle school, when I had my first experience with a women's locker room, I used to be totally petrified of exposing anything, and did my best to get changed under my clothes. The other girls were quite mixed in their changing strategies, with some barely showing so much as an elbow and others comfortably walking around in their underwear, changing their bras, etc. After a while, I decided it was particularly ridiculous to be embarrassed of my body in front of other women, so I started just changing as was comfortable rather than doing my best to conceal everything. Nobody commented, and I felt pretty liberated.

In my later experience as a massive theater geek, I also got accustomed to the forget-propriety-this-is-a-quick-change mentality, and have gone so far as to get guys to help button my scanty dresses if necessary. They all saw me partly naked, and I saw all of them partly naked. It just ceased to be of any importance rather quickly. Theater requires a certain level of comfort with your body, and I'm quite glad to have it.

And yet I mostly agree with GG in this regard: I love clothes far too much to ever want to part with them, and I still am pretty self-conscious about my body a lot of the time. Not that I'm embarrassed to have one, but sometimes I wish it looked nicer in some way. I also prefer to reserve nudity for a private thing (either by myself or with somebody who matters to me). I understand the appeal of a naked-friendly society, and I'd not be against it, but in the current way of things I'd like to keep it intimate.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Mon May 24, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

I've never really had much experience with changing clothes in the company of other people, other than changing for P.E at school (age 12-16). I eventually felt comfortable with it, but obviously going through puberty and being big chested and general embarrassment meant that it took a while. I've shared changing rooms with friends and stuff like that.
kellsbells wrote:And yet I mostly agree with GG in this regard: I love clothes far too much to ever want to part with them, and I still am pretty self-conscious about my body a lot of the time. Not that I'm embarrassed to have one, but sometimes I wish it looked nicer in some way. I also prefer to reserve nudity for a private thing (either by myself or with somebody who matters to me). I understand the appeal of a naked-friendly society, and I'd not be against it, but in the current way of things I'd like to keep it intimate.
This pretty much describes my feelings on the matter.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Mon May 24, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:I've never really had much experience with changing clothes in the company of other people, other than changing for P.E at school (age 12-16). I eventually felt comfortable with it, but obviously going through puberty and being big chested and general embarrassment meant that it took a while. I've shared changing rooms with friends and stuff like that.

High school P.E. is the worst place for getting changed in 'public'. I was terrified, because I used to get called flat-chested all the time, which at the time really bothered me, so I refused to undress properly.
Weirdly though, in the same high school, but in the drama shows, I was quite happy to strip between scenes for quick costume changes, despite there being boys around. And yes, I too had instances of having to get a boy to help me into costume.

I think theatre is just wonderfully uncaring about any of societies 'norms'.
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue May 25, 2010 12:55 am UTC

You know...something happened while I was out bowling recently. I was there with my boyfriend, a friend, and her boyfriend. After we had been bowling for a while, an older women from the lane next to us leaned over to my friend's boyfriend, and said, "You need to teach those ladies some bowling etiquette."

This bothered me first because...really? It was a lame bowling alley, where everyone was just there to have fun. You weren't in a league, and weren't even that good. But whatever. Some people just perpetually have sticks in their asses. My boyfriend was a smartass to them, and I got over it.

But later, I realized that something else bothered me about it. If she had a problem with something my friend and I were doing, why didn't she direct her concerns to one of us? We aren't the property of those men, they aren't in charge of us, and it isn't their responsibility to keep us in check in public. The way she phrased it just really irked me, but maybe I'm being silly about it, I don't know.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue May 25, 2010 3:33 am UTC

Ashlah wrote:You know...something happened while I was out bowling recently. I was there with my boyfriend, a friend, and her boyfriend. After we had been bowling for a while, an older women from the lane next to us leaned over to my friend's boyfriend, and said, "You need to teach those ladies some bowling etiquette."

This bothered me first because...really? It was a lame bowling alley, where everyone was just there to have fun. You weren't in a league, and weren't even that good. But whatever. Some people just perpetually have sticks in their asses. My boyfriend was a smartass to them, and I got over it.

But later, I realized that something else bothered me about it. If she had a problem with something my friend and I were doing, why didn't she direct her concerns to one of us? We aren't the property of those men, they aren't in charge of us, and it isn't their responsibility to keep us in check in public. The way she phrased it just really irked me, but maybe I'm being silly about it, I don't know.

The way you described it sounds like the guy she chose to spoke to DID have good bowling etiquette, but that he was the only one. Of course I wasn't there so I don't know for sure, but that's the vibe I got from her jibe.

Weird that she would speak up like that though. I did bowling for a couple years and the only etiquette things that seem noteworthy are not yelling really loudly and drunkenly, not spilling your beer on the alley, and not stealing strangers' bowling balls if they share a ball return with you. Oh, and make sure your ball doesn't cross into someone else's lane.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 25, 2010 4:06 am UTC

The only bowling etiquette I know is to not go up to bowl when someone in the lane right next to yours is going up to bowl. Something about mixing juju or mojo or something.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 am UTC

^ What ST said. If you're actually concentrating on your ball and someone runs up and hucks their ball down the lane before you're done with your swing, it's distracting and considered kinda rude by bowling etiquettistas.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue May 25, 2010 8:41 am UTC

I must be the world's most inconsiderate bowler :( It doesn't help that my balls fly roughly 12 feet through the air before crashing heavily on the polished alley with an echoing thud, to the chagrin of all around me.

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:I spent a lot of times in museums as a kid and got over the Gee Willikers BOOBIES! thing pretty fast.
1.) teach me how to get over this, too and 2.) before you do, take me to these museums.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue May 25, 2010 8:49 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I must be the world's most inconsiderate bowler :( It doesn't help that my balls fly roughly 12 feet through the air before crashing heavily on the polished alley with an echoing thud, to the chagrin of all around me.

And that's before you've even discussed what you do with your bowling balls.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue May 25, 2010 10:39 am UTC

If it helps, I do frequent the family area of my bowling alley.

mommy mommy what's that strange man doing
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue May 25, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

Does anyone else remember that time in FaiD when someone said that the LSR subforum should have a big line of text that just says "TALK TO THEM ABOUT IT"?
This article is basically that, but particularly for women. Also includes stuff on why bemoaning casual relationships and "hookup culture" as harmful for women who want more committed relationships is missing the point.
[M]aybe, I don't know, find a guy you like and ask him what he wants, on the assumption that he is not, in fact, completely interchangeable with every other man in existence? And tell him what you want, recognizing that if your desires and needs aren't going to be met, he is probably not the guy for you? And if that doesn't work out, find an entirely separate human being and try again with the talking about what it is you both want? Maybe?

Related question: have you ever felt pressured to only pursue one kind of relationship, whether it be casual or serious, and felt like you'd be shamed if you tried to pursue another kind? When I got into a friends with benefits situation last year, I sort of surprised myself - all through high school, I'd thought I was the sort of person who didn't do anything sexual outside a relationship framework. Turns out that actually, I was the sort of person who didn't like doing anything sexual with anyone I didn't trust and care about, and, in the school I was at and the company I was in, it was considered inconceivable to be in a casual relationship and not be either slutty or miserable, so I didn't really consider the option.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue May 25, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Golly, I'm a bit late, but wanted to add to the changing rooms discussion: the yoga place I use has a unisex changing room. They don't tell you this, so it's a little surprising the first time you use it, but after a while it just becomes... normal. I hope everyone who uses it feels that way.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue May 25, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Related question: have you ever felt pressured to only pursue one kind of relationship, whether it be casual or serious, and felt like you'd be shamed if you tried to pursue another kind? When I got into a friends with benefits situation last year, I sort of surprised myself - all through high school, I'd thought I was the sort of person who didn't do anything sexual outside a relationship framework. Turns out that actually, I was the sort of person who didn't like doing anything sexual with anyone I didn't trust and care about, and, in the school I was at and the company I was in, it was considered inconceivable to be in a casual relationship and not be either slutty or miserable, so I didn't really consider the option.

I had a similar attitude when younger, when I was less experienced sexually. I also thought that I would be the type of person who would only do anything sexual in a committed relationship. But I think as i've grown, i've realised sex can mean many different things on different levels. I really, really, really like sex, so why deny it to myself if it's with someone who likes it too and it's with someone I trust and care about? I've never done a one night stand, which is something I would have ruled out completely when younger, but now? In the right circumstance, if I felt safe in the situation and we both knew we just wanted to get down and dirty and nothing more...then definitely.

Also, not really on topic, but I tried to start a project recently of taking a picture of my outfit per day for the rest of the year. It would encourage me to make up intriguing combinations with the clothes i've already got (and not shop) and also be a handy guide for what looks crap.

Of course, it failed, because for the last two weeks i've been working away and forgetting to take photos. But here are the few I remembered to take a picture for.

Spoiler:
Untitled-1.jpg
i dare you to take me on...

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue May 25, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

tin is pretty and has good fashion sense. :)

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue May 25, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

Tin is so hip and adorable I can barely stand it. :D I'm particularly loving (and coveting) the first one, that blue dress.

The photo-a-day of my clothes is actually a brilliant idea, and might encourage me to make more of a creative effort with them in the morning. And that's something I really need to do. Tin, I may be stealing this idea.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue May 25, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

Thanks Sungura and kells! Also kells, that's a camera fail. That first dress is more of mint green. It's lovely, but creases like a motherbitch.

You should definitely give it a shot! I used to be part of an online fashion group on Livejournal, and they'd always be shots of people with their outfit for the day and where the things were from. The most interesting outfits were the ones where most of the items of clothes were from charity/thrift/vintage shops.

I'm going to endeavor to keep this idea up in the summer, because I find it easier and more fun to dress for hot weather. :)
i dare you to take me on...

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue May 25, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

I have like 8 pages to catch up on, but in honor of my week early shark time, linky.
it's a web comic, no worrying
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue May 25, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

I wish I had the time, money, and good fashion sense to pull together outfits like you do, Tin. If I took daily pictures of myself, it would go something like "Sarah, wearing jeans and a tshirt. Sarah, wearing jeans and a tshirt. Sarah, wearing jeans and a tshirt. Sarah, wearing a shirtdress and boots holy shit she shook it up a bit! Sarah, wearing jeans and a tshirt."
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue May 25, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

My photos would go "Skirt and top...skirt and top....jeans and t...skirt and top...skirt and top...skirt and top..." and be rather boring too.

Also, woo shark week? I found Party In My Pants at the local Whole Foods (they didn't have glad rags) so I'm going to try these. I only go two 'cause they are still like $10 each but worth a try, right? This is the *only* thing I have not tried. Oh crap I forget to get a bucket to soak them in. Grrr. Guess I'll do that in the sink or something. Last chance for something that works for me for shark week! So far...feels soft enough and no rashes yet. Bad thing is it still feels like I'm peeing/leaking all over the damn place and I hate hate hate hate that feeling.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue May 25, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

Yeah I'm a heavier girl and I use pads because they are less mess to change. But I have a squishing/leaking problem if I sit in one position too long :(
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue May 25, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The only bowling etiquette I know is to not go up to bowl when someone in the lane right next to yours is going up to bowl. Something about mixing juju or mojo or something.

That's what it was about. Which is understandable, she was just kind of rude about it, I don't know. And after she said that, other people who were with her did the same thing, so it was just silly. It kind of seemed like she might have been the only person in their group who really cared enough to say anything. Oh well.

I've thought about doing the photo a day before. I've definitely been mixing up my outfits more than I used to, but I do jeans and a t-shirt and black jacket often enough that it would be boring.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed May 26, 2010 11:59 am UTC

Spoilered for Shark Week whinging.
Spoiler:
Shark Week is nearly a week late (so far), which is pretty much unheard of for me. Since I got my IUD in November, my cycles have been 30-32 days, and I'm now on day 37. There's no way I'm pregnant, as I have an IUD and more importantly haven't had sex in months...so it is just my body being weird, I guess. It could be stress from exams I guess, especially as my eating has been a bit all over the place compared to usual, but no worse than it is at home. I also know if I get stressed about it I'm only likely to be making it even later, but it's incredibly annoying and just a bit worrying because I've always been able to predict the start to a day or two, even when I wasn't tracking online. I've been using my Mooncup pretty consistently anyway, because the last thing I want is for Shark Week to start in the middle of an exam and have to deal with it, but that also means I'm not going to know immediately if it does start.

You know, I used to always moan about the fact that I've always been perfectly regular and never got the chance to have a few months off when I was younger and supposedly you are normally irregular, but now I am starting to think maybe I haven't appreciated my regularity enough. Because this is annoying and stressful and it means I can't work out anymore if I'm likely to have to worry about Shark Week when I next see my boyfriend or when I'm on holiday. Not impressed at all. D:
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed May 26, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

*hugs cassi* odd you ninja'd me since I was coming here to do just the same.
Spoiler:
Cloth pads. Grrr. They aren't going to work my flow is just too heavy I think. I really need a combo of methods to be good. So in goes the cup. I just used the small one I'll deal with leakings but I think I lost whatever technique I had with it because I couldn't block the pain upon insertion. garblefuggerwiggersnurgurgh.

I HATE MY UTERUS.

I would totally go and try to get the IUD *NOW* if I had someone to go with me. Grrr.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu May 27, 2010 8:38 am UTC

AHHHHHH!!!!! FOUR DAYS LATE!! FOUR DAYS LATE!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

now, please return to your regular programing.
ImageImageImageImageImage

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Thu May 27, 2010 9:01 am UTC

As much as I sympathize with all the lateness-worry, at the same time I feel a stab of envy for having regular enough cycles that I'd even know when it's late. :| My cycles lately are so erratic as to be completely impossible to track. I need to get that resolved somehow, it's driving me mad.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu May 27, 2010 9:10 am UTC

mine are only regular due to the pills.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu May 27, 2010 12:32 pm UTC

Photos! Don't click if you don't like blood, yesterday's photography project was Psycho so I did the blood swirling in the drain...I'll let you all guess /how/ I got the blood part :P
Spoiler:

Return to “General”