[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

podbaydoor

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.ne

Postby podbaydoor » Thu May 27, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Does anyone else remember that time in FaiD when someone said that the LSR subforum should have a big line of text that just says "TALK TO THEM ABOUT IT"?

YES. I try to preach and practice it. Can be difficult and sometimes I have to battle my "run awaaaaaaay" instinct, but life is SO much simpler for everyone involved.

Related question: have you ever felt pressured to only pursue one kind of relationship, whether it be casual or serious, and felt like you'd be shamed if you tried to pursue another kind?

Yes and no. I used to think I could only do monogamy - as recently as last spring. I think it turns out that what I didn't like was a) being considered secondary, and b) being lied to. I've been in several open arrangements for the last couple of months and it's turned out pretty fine. So the main thing that was pressuring me was just myself. Since I've changed, my attitude towards relationships has also changed.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu May 27, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

I find that rubbing my nipples is quite relaxing. :D

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu May 27, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

Well I hope you brought enough for the rest of the class.

No? Well, had you been paying attention, you would have noticed that there's a line of conversation going on which feels distinctly disrupted.

Cool blood, Sungura. Was it achieved through sacrificing a goat? That's what you scientonomists do, isn't it? Ritual sacrifice for Ba'al?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu May 27, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

If my uterus is a goat, then yes, felstaff :P
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Thu May 27, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

I've always thought that the textbook diagrams of uterus+ovaries&fallopian tubes looks a bit like the outline of a goat face with big horns...
um, yeah.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu May 27, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

Oh. Sorry. I didn't realize it was a reference. My apologies.

(a goat, really? okay then...)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu May 27, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

crowey wrote:I've always thought that the textbook diagrams of uterus+ovaries&fallopian tubes looks a bit like the outline of a goat face with big horns...
um, yeah.
I can see it...if I squint a bit. I was going to find pictures to illustrate but couldn't find a suitable goat picture. I did however find this adorable picture of a baby goat:
Spoiler:

Look how cute it is I want one plz. /derail.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 27, 2010 10:22 pm UTC

/derail
Lamb in house
/rerail

In Middle-Ages Europe, the resemblance of a woman's reproductive organs was used as proof that women are inherently evil. What with Goats = Satan and all that jazz.

So, I just made that up. Why do I also have the suspicion that it's true?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu May 27, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

Hee! bouncy lamb :D
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the uterus/goat/satan thing was true.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

crowey

Postby crowey » Thu May 27, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

daawwwwww sooooo cuuuute!

Sungura wrote:Oh. Sorry. I didn't realize it was a reference. My apologies.

(a goat, really? okay then...)

I don't think it was a reference, I'm fairly sure I'm in a minority of 1 seeing goats in uteri :lol:

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu May 27, 2010 11:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:/derail
Lamb in house
/rerail

In Middle-Ages Europe, the resemblance of a woman's reproductive organs was used as proof that women are inherently evil. What with Goats = Satan and all that jazz.

So, I just made that up. Why do I also have the suspicion that it's true?

Assuming Middle Ages Europe had sufficent knowledge of anatomy to make such a connection, I wouldn't be surprised. However, that's anything but a sure thing.

Also, finally got this thread in my ego search
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri May 28, 2010 7:42 am UTC

crowey wrote:I've always thought that the textbook diagrams of uterus+ovaries&fallopian tubes looks a bit like the outline of a goat face with big horns...
um, yeah.

So, you mean, like a ram?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:49 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
um, yeah.

Business Rule #69: If your advertisements aren't at least vaguely suggestive of human genitalia, you're Doing It Wrong. (What's that? You say you don't have six and a half testicles? I assume you must be inbred...)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri May 28, 2010 11:55 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
um, yeah.

Thank you Felstaff...now I will always see that when I'm studying anatomy. I doubt it would get me bonus points on exams though the way this department is.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sat May 29, 2010 2:26 am UTC

So I've been wondering where all you fashionable ladies shop. I am almost nineteen and have recently become sick of wearing my old clothes from highschool. I just don't feel I should dress that way anymore. Unfortunately I don't know where to shop that isn't the Target junior's section. Help?
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat May 29, 2010 2:40 am UTC

Depends on where you live and how much you can spend. Fill us in?
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat May 29, 2010 2:47 am UTC

if you're not sure what you want and are looking for a new look, i think a good place to start is second hand stores. not necessarily vintage places, but places like savers, value-village, salvation army, etc. there is always great stuff of a wiiiide variety.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sat May 29, 2010 3:12 am UTC

I have a moderate budget. I prefer shopping online so location only really matters inasmuch as how exorbitant shipping costs are. I am currently in California (The Bay Area)

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat May 29, 2010 3:16 am UTC

Old Navy, if you happen to like the styles there, I know is doing a fairly major clearance event for the next week or so (I think it ends on the 6th) - 50% more off of things already marked clearance. You can find some really good deals because of it at the moment (jeans for $12, etc), and their prices are often pretty reasonable even to start.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sat May 29, 2010 9:14 am UTC

I like in the UK, so I couldn't really recommend any shops. But my general rule is charity shops + vintage shops + high street store = win. A nice, affordable mixture.
i dare you to take me on...

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sat May 29, 2010 9:33 am UTC

I second Tin's/cait's suggestions. I get most of my prettier clothes from vintage/second hand shops and supplement with jeans/plain tshirts from high street stores.
Speaking of second hand finds, I got a dress! I was looking for a short summery dress, but I adored the flower, and it was ridiculously cheap :)
Spoiler:
DSC_0006.JPG

So. Twitter

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sat May 29, 2010 9:57 am UTC

That is fantastic dress. I love the floaty bits at the bottom.
i dare you to take me on...

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sat May 29, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

That is adorable in the best way. Thanks for advice. I'm a short BART ride from the stranger parts of San Francisco so I'll probably start there.

symple

Postby symple » Sun May 30, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

hello. you don't know me, but you guys seem pretty good at this sharing stories and talking about lady reproductive business stuff. i am 20, worried. hope i am doing the right thing. spoiler: awkwardness. tmi is the only reason i'm posting here though.

Spoiler:
funtimes. condom, 2x no problem, 1x problem, took morning-after pill. doctor also gave me Pill, for future. yay! have learned lesson! thought everything was fine.

and yet, i'm late. about 10 days. it was due the 1x there was a problem, so post-pill was just to make sure.

and yet over those 10 days: cramps, mood swings, crying, stress. did I mention: cramps. so each day it feels like "this is it, woohoo!", but still no show.

maybe it will be tonight!!! maybe NOT. buying test at uni pharmacy tomorrow. gods.

I have never done this before (obviously). I don't know anyone who has... I may not come back. i just wanted to tell somebody.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun May 30, 2010 12:45 pm UTC

Welcome to the woman thread, symple.

From the comment about "uni pharmacy" I'm assuming that you are in college. When I was in college and had a pregnancy scare, my RA was helpful with advice (and had a stash of pregnancy tests, so I didn't even have to wait for business hours to get one). Your college might not be like my college, but it is possible that your RAs are there to help you with all kinds of problems. You can share your problems with your friends who haven't been through pregnancy scares; they can comfort you anyway, and your experience might be helpful to them in the future. And if you don't tell them what's going on, you might never find out that some of them have already had pregnancy scares.

Stress can cause a delay of menstruation. Your plan to buy and use a pregnancy test makes sense, especially because the likely outcome should decrease your stress! Since you already used the morning-after pill, it is extremely unlikely that you are pregnant. Good luck, and good luck with getting on the pill so that you'll be using two methods of contraception (condoms and the pill) for the future.

symple

Postby symple » Sun May 30, 2010 1:02 pm UTC

thank youuu *hugs hugs*

lol what is this college? RAs? we are just "at uni" in aussieland. =P but yes, i have a counsellor person i have seen for exam stress, that is also my next port of call tomorrow.

that is a good point about the stress. yes! test is logical, sensible action! this is good! logic good! end of stress good! or.. end of "what if" stress. which is worst kind.

Enuja wrote:Welcome to the woman thread, symple.

oh... wow... suddenly i feel responsible and mature ><"

edit: hugs. pregnancy scare yes? scary it is. yes. it worked out for you? :-)

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun May 30, 2010 1:08 pm UTC

Hi symple and *hugs*
Does your campus have a student health centre? They might be able to help too :) Hope things turn out well for you!

@Tin and VA: Thanks for the compliments :)

So. Twitter

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun May 30, 2010 1:25 pm UTC

symple wrote:lol what is this college? RAs? we are just "at uni" in aussieland. =P but yes, i have a counsellor person i have seen for exam stress, that is also my next port of call tomorrow.
RA = Resident Assistant, an American position much like a hall monitor or dorm warden or something in the UK unis, and possibly in the Australian ones. If you're in halls, and you have a sympathetic one responsible for you, you might want to tell them since they'll be more easily accessible to you than your counsellor. But going to your counsellor is a great idea, especially if you're not in Halls/other University managed accommodation.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun May 30, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

I had a condom break, and was probably about a week or two late, I don't really remember; it was years ago. I was not pregnant. I wasn't very regular at the time, and in the US emergency contraception required a prescription (and I don't know if I'd heard about it yet: it had recently been approved by the FDA), so I just took a test and was relieved by the outcome.

In the US, I'm pretty sure that all undergraduate institutions (colleges and universities, places that give out Bachelor's degrees), have Resident Assistants, live-in older college students who get a break on their housing fees and help other college students out (or police those other college students, depending on the institution). With no location to go on, I didn't know that you were in Australia, with the system that college and university are different and university is better. This is not true in the US: in fact, small colleges are often seen to be better educational institutions than large universities, because large universities often focus more on research and graduate student education, and often treat their undergraduates more like cattle than students.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun May 30, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

Most Australian uni students don't live on campus, so they wouldn't have exposure to RAs. Your uni health centre is definitely the first port of call if you are unsure about any medical issues; your counsellor is probably a good bet too, but for obvious reasons can't give you medical advice.

symple

Postby symple » Sun May 30, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

*nods* Thank you very much re: clarification, actually the RA thing has always puzzled me. Sounds really sweet actually :-)

Spoiler:
Hawknc wrote:Most Australian uni students don't live on campus, so they wouldn't have exposure to RAs. Your uni health centre is definitely the first port of call if you are unsure about any medical issues; your counsellor is probably a good bet too, but for obvious reasons can't give you medical advice.

True, true, all true. *nods seriously*

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon May 31, 2010 9:04 am UTC

WEEK LAT! WEEK LATE!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImageImageImageImage

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Mon May 31, 2010 9:37 am UTC

Extrapolating wildly from my own personal experience, Australian residential colleges do have RA's, and they are indeed awesome people to talk to for advice. If you live on-campus, GO BEFRIEND YOUR RA. Especially if you're a nervous introvert.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Mon May 31, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

Just popping in here to say hi, and that I found something I thought the woman thread might enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6wJl37N9C0&feature=related

I'd add some comments and thoughts about it, but I think it needs no explanation.
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

symple

Postby symple » Mon May 31, 2010 11:54 pm UTC

Woohoo!!! I go to take test, and well what do you know, i am saying hello to my good friend shark week (is that the term around here?), who i have not seen in some time. :oops: I guess I get to take a pill today instead!!! This is exciting stuff :D

crowey

Postby crowey » Mon May 31, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

yay symple! that must be a big relief... I wonder if it's worth taking the test anyway, just in case...?
Shark week is indeed the term, in fact "my period" and "your period" get autofiltered to it :lol:

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:46 am UTC

Yep, sharkweek is the term around here. It's said to have come from this, but I'm not 100% sure about that. :wink:
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

That sounded like a horrible state for your organs to be in, but I laughed. Cute cartoons.

I seem to recall a discussion about Discovery Channel's Shark Week coinciding with Meaux's cycle one month, which is where I thought the term came from. Either way, I've started using shark week in real life and other people seem to appreciate it.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:
<3 this.
Indeed.
"Pretty is a word unworthy of everything you will be." is quite a lovely sentiment.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Return to “General”