[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mieulium

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.ne

Postby mieulium » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

Does anyone feel the need to trim their pubic hair (yes i mean down under there)?

Its interesting because my mum always tells me not to trim and I need to, otherwise I would be extremely uncomfortable, especially during periods.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

^ Never felt the need to shave down there. Trim, yes sometimes but otherwise it's just meh.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

I didn't realize anyone did this until last year at some point. I actually ended up shaving it all off because it was bugging me that much - it's always bugged me. I remember when I was like 15 and it finally all showed up and was thicker and I was all "wtf, this stuff itches and when I'm working out it just gets all sweaty wet and is gross" so I was absolutely all for the TAKE IT OFF method and I have been doing that for about six months now and love it. So. Much. Better. I dunno about others, but I sweat a lot especially doing karate for hours on end in the summer heat without air conditioning and it sucked. But it's much better now!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:... so I was absolutely all for the TAKE IT OFF method and I have been doing that for about six months now and love it.

What is this TAKE IT OFF method? Probably not in my neck of the woods.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

Oh, just totally shaving it off. So it's smooth. Yay smoothness!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

i pluck the top inch or so off, and the thigh stuff, the rest is trimmed real short unless i am in the vicinity of my bf in which case it gets shaved like every 5 days or something.
ImageImageImageImageImage

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

i trim, either with scissors or a beard trimmer. It's pretty key, because I loathe the feeling of shaved skin and yet also loathe the feeling of having too much hair hanging about, holding in heat and catching sweat and sometimes blood. Bleh.
I do the same thing with my armpits because I decided shaving is bullshit unless you actually *want* to do it.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

I shave most of my body, though not as much as I used to. It helps me feel more feminine.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:59 pm UTC

I've given up on most de-hairing, except the pits (odour control) and upper lip/between the brows. I'll shave the legs once in a great while, for a special occasion. I've never liked messing with the pubic stuff -- even trimming makes sharp ends that get all pointy up in my sensitive bits. I end up walking funny for a couple of days as I try not to scratch in public. >.<
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

I shave the pubic hair more towards the groin, and trim the other hair in that region. I'm not dexterous enough to shave all my pubic hair in my tiny tiny shower. When I had a bath I shaved all of it every now and then. I shave my legs every now and then, and shave my pits regularly.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

poxic wrote:even trimming makes sharp ends that get all pointy up in my sensitive bits. I end up walking funny for a couple of days as I try not to scratch in public. >.<

Exactly this.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

i was the kid who hated body hair and freaked the fuck out when i grew my own, so psychotic OCD like passion to remove hair makes for good practice in future situations.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

I shave for comfort. If I had a beard-trimmer I'd rather use that, I don't like the prickly just-shaved feeling. If I use scissors it ends up strange and uneven, like a series of little grass patches, so shaving it is.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

namaize

Postby namaize » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:49 pm UTC

I use Moom--found out about it from this thread, actually (yay Woman Thread!). I hate the itchy stubble from shaving, so Moom is really nice. Used to trim, but I've gotten used to it smooth and prefer it that way.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

I trim with scissors, whereas I shave my armpits and lower legs (when I remember and can be bothered, which isn't all that often).
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:54 am UTC

I'm disappointed with the current fashion of shaved/waxed/absent pubic hair, but of course, I'm very often disappointed by fashion. Ironically, I do shave my own pubic hair, because my spouse prefers it, the shaving part is kinda fun (esp. now that I don't shave my legs and underarms, it gives me something to shave when I'm in a shaving mood) and I've become accustomed to it on myself. I still think it looks really funny on other people, and I wish it were a minority fashion, but I do it. I used to just trim my hairs occasionally (usually right before Shark Week every other month) to keep the hairs from getting all gunked up with endometrial lining, and I liked that.

And, FYI, there is a Grooming Downstairs thread in LSR for the more gender neutral version of this discussion.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:39 am UTC

I shave everything off except for a wide line down the middle, which I prefer to trim with a pair of scissors but often never get around to. (Yes, a landing-strip, but I HATE that term, it makes my body sound like an object for penises to land in or something, which it's not, it's mine).
I find this is simple and means that I can wear bikinis and the like without anything sticking out, and I prefer the feeling of less hair... though not the itchy just-shaved feeling. Maybe I should try Moom-y type things?

I also shave legs and pits, but tend to leave my eyebrows alone for the most part - mainly cause I don't trust myself to shape them properly or have them both looking relatively the same, and because plucking them hurts and for some reason makes me sneeze :-< Oh, and cause I'm lazy.
I'm leaving the top lip for the moment too cause I only just grew it, it's very fine and blonde and hopefully not too noticeable, and I'm not entirely sure how to deal with it. If I was a boy I'd totally dig it too, it's grown in a super styley way.

Irony&Paradox I loved that video, cheers for sharing it!

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:22 am UTC

may i ask why you choose to do the line bit? like is it the way things do or don't show? i just don't see how there'd be more advantage than triming the sides.
i'm trying to sound curious, even if it reads as rude, sorry

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:37 pm UTC

Hey Gals and Gallies,

I just wanted to drop a note in here:
About a year ago, I emailed ThinkGeek to point out that their catalog included no images of women except as product (Princess Leia bikini posters and suchlike) - only men. I listed some reasons why they should look into changing that, both for the state of women interested in technical fields and for their own benefit. They thanked me and said they'd look into it. I just got their new catalog and it includes a number of women and girls using ThinkGeek products - and not only the "girly" ones. The sexualized product pics are all gone. Where the person depicted is a ThinkGeek employee, it also gives their name and job title, so it's clear that these women aren't just decorating the products - they work as coders and such. They show action shots of customers, a number of whom are female. They have a group picture of their staff, many of whom are female.

In other words, they really made a significant effort and improvement with nothing more than having it pointed out to them that they could. We yell about about people and companies doing it wrong, but sometimes a company does it right and should be yelled about too so...yay ThinkGeek!

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program. :D
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:42 pm UTC

Yay! ThinkGeek!
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

Additionally, I was pleased by the fact that their "GeekDad Competition" never mentioning the word "son".
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

Have you followed up to say well done for awesomeness?

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:Have you followed up to say well done for awesomeness?

I have indeed.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

Sweet.

*goes off to browse products with a clear conscience*

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:Hey Gals and Gallies,

I just wanted to drop a note in here:
About a year ago, I emailed ThinkGeek to point out that their catalog included no images of women except as product (Princess Leia bikini posters and suchlike) - only men. I listed some reasons why they should look into changing that, both for the state of women interested in technical fields and for their own benefit. They thanked me and said they'd look into it. I just got their new catalog and it includes a number of women and girls using ThinkGeek products - and not only the "girly" ones. The sexualized product pics are all gone. Where the person depicted is a ThinkGeek employee, it also gives their name and job title, so it's clear that these women aren't just decorating the products - they work as coders and such. They show action shots of customers, a number of whom are female. They have a group picture of their staff, many of whom are female.

In other words, they really made a significant effort and improvement with nothing more than having it pointed out to them that they could. We yell about about people and companies doing it wrong, but sometimes a company does it right and should be yelled about too so...yay ThinkGeek!

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program. :D
^ One more reason why both Hammer & ThinkGeek are awesome.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

That is cool Hammer.

I still have problems with their newest line of shirts - Women in Science stuffs. They are ONLY on the "women' shirts which let's be honest are the baby doll junior sizes. They don't have them on the "mens" shirts which are more unisex. They don't carry the "womens" shirts in the larger sizes (the 2XL would NEVER fit me yet a "mens" large does). Also, why can't guys like different women in science? And why can't a more "normal" sized WOMEN wear their shirts styled for girls with boobs and hips? I love their designs, but I can't buy them.

So right now, while that is awesome Hammer, I'm pretty ticked at ThinkGeek.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:So right now, while that is awesome Hammer, I'm pretty ticked at ThinkGeek.

Well, okay, but telling me about it doesn't do much for you. Tell them, especially since they seem to be pretty responsive about such things.

[edit] Even better...collect a list/count of people who want these shirts in the other styles. Since they have to order stock, proving that there is a market would help motivate them to expand their product offering in that direction. They won't have stock printed if they don't think they will sell.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

Oh we are - they posted them on their FB page and there are hundreds of comments - about 1/4 (on a quick scan) are "Oh me yarm YAY LOVE THEM" and the other 3/4 are "you jerks so wait guys don't want to wear these and I can't even wear one because I'm not skinny enough?" so they are getting a lot of "MAKE BETTER SIZES" feedback. Now it's just if they do it. And yeah, I wrote them too.
Last edited by Sungura on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

yeah, i noticed the command shirt has an xl=37in chest....

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

I sympathize with your argument and I also agree that they should really carry other sizes, but please... don't call me a "skinny stick". I think a wider variety of sizing would be better for everyone, but that doesn't mean those sizes are "better". Maybe I'm off base here, but this feels a little harsh. :|
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

Yeah I need 44 inches around. 45 would be better but that's an odd size I don't see often. So the half-method they seem to size shirts by I need 22. Which is a guy's large. The women's XXL is only an 18 inch chest. That is 4 inches shy (8 total since they measure it flat not around). I can't even pull it down over my boobs.

Ninja edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound bad. I will go edit it out, it does sound a bit harsh. Please just take it as my uber frustraition that I can't find cute shirts because I'm not skinny enough. Which is my main issue with why I feel fat all the time. And why I hate my body. I should be able to wear cute shirts too. :cry:

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

I agree, the sizing is off base. It's just the name-calling I dislike. Thanks for fixing. :)
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:06 am UTC

I HAVE AMAZING PINK SHOES MY GOODNESS I LOVE THEM THEY ARE AWESOME.

PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINK SHOES!
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:39 am UTC

Wow. Now that's a shoe.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:05 am UTC

jmrz wrote:I HAVE AMAZING PINK SHOES MY GOODNESS I LOVE THEM THEY ARE AWESOME.

(img)

:o

Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:06 am UTC

jmrz wrote:I HAVE AMAZING PINK SHOES MY GOODNESS I LOVE THEM THEY ARE AWESOME.

OOOH, they remind me of those that I saw at shoe show! Wanted to buy one, but then my shoe size is too big for shoe show D:

"OBJECTION!"

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:38 am UTC

The best thing is that they were on sale!

Originally $189.95AU ($161.50USD/109.94GBP). On sale for $50AU! ($42.52USD/28.94GBP)
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:21 am UTC

What...beautiful shoes. *wipes away a tear*. Pretty good bargain too!

I should really start rocking heels.
i dare you to take me on...

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 am UTC

HoverHeelstm, now in rockin' pink. Seriously cool.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

Cute shoes!
I now have 5-finger-shoes.
And I have the Mirena. I hope this helps me out. I had to go to a different place than the one I went to with Shro because of appointment times. I actually liked this other gyno better. There was a trainee in the room too. So yeah it went well I guess. The gyno was like "oh wow you are petite in here!" haha I wasn't even on shark week (ended yesterday) but there were no problems and I have some cramping but on a scale of 1-10 (and i'm used to a lot of 10's from earlier years) they are cycling between a 1 and 4 and actually now they've dropped off and I just feel tight (not actually crampy sore, just tight/tense)...and tired so I'm going to go nap. Apparently I was a model for perfect insertion though. She did give me some lidocane injections to numb up and relax my cervix. Interesting note: since there aren't really any nerves there for pain the shots didn't hurt at all - I barely even /felt/ them. So maybe that's half of why it went smooth my innards were drugged up xD but I highly recommend asking to get the lidocane injections to anyone thinking of getting one. Most I could just feel pressure or odd sensations from things but never any actual pain really. And like I said, 2 hours later and my cramps have settled from the rollarcoastering they were doing to almost nill. I'm just very sleepy feeling right now so I'm going to go nap.

Return to “General”