[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Veora

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Veora » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

beyondweird wrote:
Sungura wrote:*shrugs* ok guess I took it too hard then. For me it was "oh hey, something cool for once YAY I dont hate my body so much right now because there is something funny cool I can focus on!" and then I felt a bit blasted with the rant and was all "oh. nevermind. I hate my body again now. so much for trying to be somewhat okay with myself because it upsets people too much."

That's what went through my head. And I'm much more worried about hurting someone else than I am about my own feelings towards shark week so I wanted to make it clear I would totally lay off being somewhat happy if it was hurting people.

Something that may amuse you about the syncing up of periods. I can understand it when it happens with me and my mother, or even me and my female friends! But I have discovered something new and amusing!
My male friends sync up with me too!
Now, I know what you are all thinking, that I am foolish and these men cannot sync up for they lack a vital thing - a uterus.
But for one week a month, they become grumpy, complain of aches and pains, and get overly emotional in comparison to normal. And, funnily enough, it is always the week that my (and my female friends because of the syncing up thing) hormones too are playing havoc.

Coincidence? I choose to believe not, for tormenting these men about having sharkweek gives me great amusement, and stops them tormenting me :D

I... o.O I'm male and i do this. i especially did it in school.
<Witty and funny signature here>

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:18 pm UTC

Male partners of pregnant women have been shown to have a similar effect, I have heard of that.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

I just want to say sports bras are awesome. I ride my bike to work and they stop the pain from bumpy breakdown lanes.
I just had to get over the fact that I already have small breast and sports bras almost make them look bound. With my hair like it is I look pretty butch.

I am okay with this.

it means I can do all the girly things I had no interest in when I had long hair because I always looked girly.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:23 am UTC

+1 to the love of sports bras, they stop me getting black eyes when I go for a run :lol:

entirely unrelated, but ooooh so pretty: Delhi corture week http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010 ... -2010.html
so many shinies!

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:27 am UTC

Wow, there is some amazing stuff there. Really intricate fabric.
I like the skirted clothes for the male models; they look better than some of the attempts Western designers have come up with. Practice makes perfect, I guess.
Ⓞⓞ◯

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:58 am UTC

I adjust my bra unconsciously all the time. I never noticed until recently when I've seen these conversations, but yeah, I need to do it all the time so I do. My bras fit fine, but I'm generally pretty active and my boobs tend to shift.

On an entirely different note, I just got these shoes and I'm itching for an occasion to wear them. (I don't want to wear them without an occasion, they're too pretty to wear out!)

Picture 222.jpg
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:58 am UTC

Oh wow, lanicita, I adore those shoes. Seriously. Where did they come from, and how can I get some?
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:10 am UTC

They're like stained glass!
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

apricity

Postby apricity » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:26 am UTC

I bought them from TJ Maxx for $30, but they're originally Nine West :)

Edit: Found them on Amazon! They're really comfy too, and true to size. If you're between sizes you should buy up though.

(she/her/hers)

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:18 am UTC

so virizon has a new advertising scheme called 'rule the air' this includes a commercial that features a bunch of teen girls being like 'air doesn't carry the opinions of a man faster than a woman. the air doesn't care if i am black or white, and if it knew it wouldn't matter. so it stands to reason that if my ideas are articulate and clear then they...' i forget, but essentially it builds up this righteous sort of feminine power for teens thing, and then is like 'cell phone service!!' i find it quite disapointing and am annoyed every time i see it, also it makes me not want virizon.

also, i need a way to dress that is not tanks/t-shirts and jeans/cargos. i'd like to be able to look more dressed up with out putting on a dress. it'd be cool to once in a while be able to pull of the subtly sexy thing. and i should probably own a short skirt that isn't plaid, pleated, or denium. but when ever i go shopping i can't manage to buy anything different than what i already have. anything else i try on just doesn't look right in my brain for some reason or another. it's like my mind doesn't want me to dress anyother way. i wish someone else could dress me and take me shopping and stuff.

so maybe both of these are little rants for the rant thread, but they are womanly rants, so yeah.
ImageImageImageImageImage

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:54 am UTC

I just bought all these things! I hope they fit! I ordered smalls for everything except the coat (which I got a medium for). All from modcloth.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:19 am UTC

Those are fantastic.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:40 am UTC

I love love love the coat, and the dress above it.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:50 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:also, i need a way to dress that is not tanks/t-shirts and jeans/cargos. i'd like to be able to look more dressed up with out putting on a dress. it'd be cool to once in a while be able to pull of the subtly sexy thing. and i should probably own a short skirt that isn't plaid, pleated, or denium. but when ever i go shopping i can't manage to buy anything different than what i already have. anything else i try on just doesn't look right in my brain for some reason or another. it's like my mind doesn't want me to dress anyother way. i wish someone else could dress me and take me shopping and stuff.

Get tanks and shirts with ruffles, ribbons, buttons, designs, the little "frou-frou" flourishes. It's kind of the same principle with those dresses jmrz posted above: they're all basically the same dress, but it's the details that make them: lace, girly prints, etc. Same goes for skirts.

Also, maybe wear more fitted collared shirts - show off your shape but they're more formal/dressy than t-shirts. And they go with basically any kind of pants. And then, of course, there's jewelry.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:53 am UTC

jmrz wrote:I just bought all these things! I hope they fit! I ordered smalls for everything except the coat (which I got a medium for). All from modcloth.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Gaaaah! I want it all! Dammit, Jmrz. You're making me want to go shopping.
i dare you to take me on...

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:54 am UTC

lanicita wrote:I adjust my bra unconsciously all the time. I never noticed until recently when I've seen these conversations, but yeah, I need to do it all the time so I do. My bras fit fine, but I'm generally pretty active and my boobs tend to shift.

On an entirely different note, I just got these shoes and I'm itching for an occasion to wear them. (I don't want to wear them without an occasion, they're too pretty to wear out!)

Picture 222.jpg

:shock:

Cool
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:also, i need a way to dress that is not tanks/t-shirts and jeans/cargos. i'd like to be able to look more dressed up with out putting on a dress. it'd be cool to once in a while be able to pull of the subtly sexy thing. and i should probably own a short skirt that isn't plaid, pleated, or denium. but when ever i go shopping i can't manage to buy anything different than what i already have. anything else i try on just doesn't look right in my brain for some reason or another. it's like my mind doesn't want me to dress anyother way. i wish someone else could dress me and take me shopping and stuff.

Get tanks and shirts with ruffles, ribbons, buttons, designs, the little "frou-frou" flourishes. It's kind of the same principle with those dresses jmrz posted above: they're all basically the same dress, but it's the details that make them: lace, girly prints, etc. Same goes for skirts.

Also, maybe wear more fitted collared shirts - show off your shape but they're more formal/dressy than t-shirts. And they go with basically any kind of pants. And then, of course, there's jewelry.

i get what you're saying, and i like the idea of working out from the base i have as opposed to completely new things. i will keep this in mind next time i go shopping and hopefully i will convince myself to buy something different. thanks! =]

apricity

Postby apricity » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

Also, you'd be surprised how sophisticated you can look in darker jeans and nice shoes.

(she/her/hers)

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:49 am UTC

Relatedly to the dressing-up issue, I generally consider myself fairly stylish but now that I have my big fancy internship that requires professional dress, I'm struggling. I'm sick of wearing black pants and some variety of non t-shirt every day. Bah. :( I know there are plenty of options for work-appropriate style, but I'm having trouble transitioning from the stuff I wear at college to the stuff I wear at the office.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:08 pm UTC

Congratulations, jmrz! I love modcloth and those dresses all look fantastic!

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:43 am UTC

Thanks for all the lovely comments about the dresses and coat! I will post pictures when they actually arrive.

In other lady news: http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-video ... e-a-shark/

"Nothing makes a lady feel as sexy as being told that her vagina is like a shark. In this funny vaginal education video, we learn that part of our natural vag lube has the same ingredient found in sharks’ livers. Awesome! I would like to thank this video for making me terrified of my own ladyflower."

I've not watched the video, but Shark Week now has a whole new level of meaning.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:03 am UTC

jmrz wrote:Thanks for all the lovely comments about the dresses and coat! I will post pictures when they actually arrive.

In other lady news: http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-video ... e-a-shark/

"Nothing makes a lady feel as sexy as being told that her vagina is like a shark. In this funny vaginal education video, we learn that part of our natural vag lube has the same ingredient found in sharks’ livers. Awesome! I would like to thank this video for making me terrified of my own ladyflower."

I've not watched the video, but Shark Week now has a whole new level of meaning.

This made my day, (shark) week, and month. :D
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:11 pm UTC

jmrz wrote:I just bought all these things! I hope they fit! I ordered smalls for everything except the coat (which I got a medium for). All from modcloth.

I love the wee turquoise dress! And the shapes of the others, but I'm trying to stop wearing really dark colours, which I did for years, so I'm less drawn to the black and grey.

In other news, I have 11 hats, and no-where to wear them to. (Also, I'm a wee bit worried about one of the hatboxes, which was fine before I fiddled with them, but now looks like it might topple off the wardrobe if I look at it wrong...)
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

What sort of hats are they? If you have that many hats you totally have reason to wear them everywhere.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:What sort of hats are they? If you have that many hats you totally have reason to wear them everywhere.

Well...six of them are so fancy they live in boxes so they don't get hurt - five of them are weddingish hats (one big, four 'saucers', all involving feathers and all adorable) and one which is so...black...it's...awesome...a sort of stiff felt or something, with blackblackblack feathers lying on it, and a kind of twirly decorative felt...bit...
Anyway - all a tad festive for everyday use.

The others, though, really should get out more. There's an actual waterproof hat, which manages to be waterproof, and also look ok at the same time. And there's my Magic Hat, which is a summer hat with blue and white stripes that makes everyone nice to you if you wear it. And two new floppy summery things I got in Italy, with wee flower-type things on them. And a wee black tam/beret thing my mum bought me during the cold snap, which I've yet to wear.

...you did ask.

(I love my hats, can you tell?)

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:25 pm UTC

Sounds like a bunch of hats you can wear every day :)
Perhaps not the fancy live-in-a-box ones but the others sound great!
Ⓞⓞ◯

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:43 pm UTC

I wish I had a magical hat that made people nice to me!

Really though, I wish I was into hats, or had any at all. I get tired of doing my hair every day and sometimes it'd be nice to just shove a hat on and be good to go.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

jmrz

Postby jmrz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:14 pm UTC

Alder wrote:

I love the wee turquoise dress! And the shapes of the others, but I'm trying to stop wearing really dark colours, which I did for years, so I'm less drawn to the black and grey.

In other news, I have 11 hats, and no-where to wear them to. (Also, I'm a wee bit worried about one of the hatboxes, which was fine before I fiddled with them, but now looks like it might topple off the wardrobe if I look at it wrong...)

I am glad someone else likes the turquoise dress! My mum said it looked old fashioned and she didn't like it, but she liked all the others. The turquoise one is different to the things I'd normally wear, which is why I bought it, I think it's cute. If it doesn't look right on, I'll return it.

Also re: hats. Apparently I am the type of person who really suits hats. I have a couple, but I just don't wear them. They make me feel kind of awkward.

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

jmrz wrote:I am glad someone else likes the turquoise dress! My mum said it looked old fashioned and she didn't like it, but she liked all the others. The turquoise one is different to the things I'd normally wear, which is why I bought it, I think it's cute. If it doesn't look right on, I'll return it.

Also re: hats. Apparently I am the type of person who really suits hats. I have a couple, but I just don't wear them. They make me feel kind of awkward.

A) That's so funny! I thought the grey ruffle-y one was more old-fashioned (not in a bad way, in a retro way...)

B) I didn't used to wear hats at all. Then I had a winter coat that didn't have a hood on it, and I pretty much had to get a hat or freeze, and then it turned out they suit me. It *can* make you feel a little 1950s housewife on occasion, though: "Wait! I can't leave the house without my hat...!" :D

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

I bloody love hats. I must own about 20, mostly of the knitted wooly variety. I used to have an excellent tricorn, but there was some rum and something happened, the details are hazy, but I no longer have an excellent tricorn.

jmrz, I'm a bit late, but those dresses are ace! I particularly like the coat, and I am somewhat jelous that it is yours.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:31 am UTC

I love hats. I used to have a fuzzy angora floppy beret that I adored...it got left on the train from Providence to NYC! :(

Sadly, I can no longer wear almost any hats. My skin has become incredibly sensitive to irritation, and wearing hats usually leaves me with a red, itchy rash that gets dry and scaly on any part of my forehead that the hat touches. I thought at first it was a wool allergy, but I actually think it's just anything touching my forehead skin now. Luckily, scarves are still ok.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:14 am UTC

I wish I could wear hats, but there's just no way I can one on over my fro. It's a bit annoying in winter, when my ears are cold.

I can just get away with head scarves, fascinators and berets at jaunty angles, but they usually have to be pinned on to my hair within an inch of their life.
i dare you to take me on...

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:39 am UTC

I admire the way most hats look on most women and I always think "wish I could pull that off" but most hats look silly on me. If my hair's just right I might get away with something like my beloved cow hat, but usually when I try them on in shops I just look silly. So I stick to bandanas and head scarves for bad hair day emergencies.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:46 am UTC

Why do kilts have to be so expensive? I wanted to get one of those Utilikilts (admittedly, a men's product, but they don't make utilikilts for women) but they're way too expensive. I wanted to use it as a skirt that I could wear like most people wear jeans or cargo pants. The pockets that don't get all horrible and bulgy are a plus. But nooooo, they're almost 200 frickin' dollars and I can't find a comparable product.

Damn you, Utilikilts!
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:46 am UTC

yeah, i saved up for one (which i then bought my boy instead of for myself, but it looks better on him) on me it looked.....well it made me look scrawny and stuff cause it looked like a pair of male cargo shorts on me, all baggy. they do make skirts for women there, but no where near as awesome. what we should do is demand that they make shorter more attractive versions for women. yes. also with the lack of fabric it would cost less. OH!! chai, where do you live? when not in italy? cause the shop in seattle carries the mess ups for cheaper and you could look for one that way, that's that i do. sometimes the mess up is large enough that it cuts the price in half but it doesn't actually affect the functionality (or it only takes a little sewing know how to fix)

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:06 am UTC

I was just in Italy for the month on an opera program; normally I'm in Los Angeles. Money isn't plentiful for me to get up to Seattle, though, as a student; it'd be cheaper for me to order one full price than to go up there!

I'm not sure scrawny would be a huge problem on me, but it might minimize my hips (and thus appear to thicken my waist) a little more than I'd like. Mostly, I'd just like to see how the durn things fit! I look horrible with anything in my pockets, and 95% of my skirts don't even have them, so I appreciate the pockety-ness of the kilt. I just wish they made things like this for women. Y'know, functional clothing, even at the expense of fashion?
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:20 am UTC

yeah, i never really look scrawny, but the kilts are bulky. the pockets don't look bulky on the kilt due to the entire skirt just being engulfing. it got rid of my hips, didn't know what to do at my butt (which is a good bit larger than your average male's) and my legs, which are decently meaty, looked really small sticking out the bottom. also the lengths all kinda hang awkwardly around my knees (though one of the mess ups is that sometimes they're too short). i'm not trying to talk you out of it, i'm just really good at talking people, myself, out of buying things that cost a lot of money. but i do advise trying one on, but i feel this way about everything even plain tank tops. on the other hand, if you tell me your size and what you want out of it (style, pockets, length, price range) i'd be happy to keep my eye on the sale rack for you whenever there.

edit: i appologize for my babbling

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

tin wrote:I wish I could wear hats, but there's just no way I can one on over my fro. It's a bit annoying in winter, when my ears are cold.

I can just get away with head scarves, fascinators and berets at jaunty angles, but they usually have to be pinned on to my hair within an inch of their life.

Earmuffs with a super arch?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

Shark Week is coming on Discovery again!
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Return to “General”