[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

crystal_owl

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby crystal_owl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

You guys! I am having so much fun flitting round the forum finding topics to post in, exploring the different areas and everyone is so friendly and actually talking to me and I am having conversations and it is so exciting!

Meridian, sorry to hear about the acne issues. I wouldn't say give up as they're always coming up with new lotions and potions and it can take ages to find the right one for you, but being comfortable in your skin is way more important than having perfect Hollywood skin. I mean, when was the last time Kate Moss looked genuinely happy? Anyway, good luck with the ASL immersion! As long as you know how to sign 'slow down please, I'm still learning' you will be fine. I still have to be reminded sometimes to sign more slowly for my Mum and hearing friend Liz as BSL tends to go quite fast, so don't worry about that.
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:16 am UTC

Hey crystal_owl, since we were talking about how you were kinda this thread's little sister or something, anyway, this is the image I have of you in my mind :)
owl.gif
owl.gif (32.66 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

Little fluffy owl! I like that. Weirdly I can also see where you're coming from with that being me...usually I'm represented by barn owls, but I'll make an exception here!

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:22 am UTC

Girls! I know it has been discussed in here before, but talk to me about Moom Hair Removal? I shave my legs etc and I've only ever tried waxing for my eyebrows. I don't cope with waxing pain very well and I don't really know a lot about Moom and I thought I might try and give it a go if it comes with high recommendations and I can get it in Australia.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:30 am UTC

I've never tried Mooming, but my eyebrow recommendation would be tweezing, only because it means that you control both the pain and the precise shape. (I was always too nervous to try anything that removed more than a maximum of two hairs at a time there, because that precision is really important for me and my oddball brows.) It also comes out significantly cheaper than most other methods. But you've more than likely thought of this already, and thus, I am no help.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:33 am UTC

Oh, I do tweeze my eyebrows (which I don't need to do often and it's only a couple of random stray hairs). I was more talking about Moom for legs/bikini line/underarms etc.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:48 am UTC

Ah, right, yes, reading comprehension fail, carry on.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:08 am UTC

Woman Thread! I wanted to share my exciting news with everyone :) Spi and I have found the perfect site for our wedding next summer!! It is a day camp place in south-eastern Massachusetts called Camp Kiwanee. It's got a lodge where we can have a ceremony on the covered back porch overlooking a lake, and have air conditioning inside if it is too hot outside, and the BEST part is that we've rented a whole bunch of cabins for the night so once the reception is over we can move the party to a campfire and set up a projector to watch movies. This works out so much better than any other place we considered, and my mom likes it too! She was really concerned about the whole "but what if it rains?!" deal with getting married outside, so having a covered area that still is airy and outdoorsy is the perfect compromise. I'm seriously so excited and inundated with ideas that I'm having trouble sleeping at night!

The other cool thing is that I got fabric for my wedding dress, and will be making it next month with my mormor. She's the grandmother in the middle!
the grammies and me.jpg

We also found this lovely blue ribbon to accent the waistline and give the illusion that I actually have hips.
Materials Compiled.jpg

Thanks for letting me squeeee all over the thread!
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:22 am UTC

Congrats, and squee all you like! :D

Mormor... you're Danish? (I used to work at Farfar's Ice Cream Shoppe. We learned about the mormor and farfar [and morfar and farmor] thing when we started there.)
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:44 am UTC

Oh that is awesome! Sounds like an amazing wedding! :D I want to see the dress when it is finished!! :)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:46 am UTC

poxic wrote:Congrats, and squee all you like! :D

Mormor... you're Danish? (I used to work at Farfar's Ice Cream Shoppe. We learned about the mormor and farfar [and morfar and farmor] thing when we started there.)

I was going to ask, or Swedish? One of my good friends from elementary school called her Swedish grandmother Mormor. Also, a camp sounds like an awesome idea, especially with cabins rented too.

And I think half the purpose of this thread is squeeing. That dress pattern is also fantastic(!!!). I think that cut/style is similar to the cut on my killer little black dress (a Ralph Loren green label, all silk, with ingenious pockets(!) that I found for <$30) that I'm dyinnnng to wear again, but it's at home in NY. It seemed excessive to bring to Ukraine.

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:07 am UTC

That's so exciting! It sounds like your wedding is going to be beautiful and really fun too - a campfire is such a great reception idea! I love that blue, you're going to look gorgeous. Squee away!

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:10 am UTC

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to take pictures when the dress is coming together so you can all see how it comes out.
Concerning 'mormor' - it is Swedish! (Although you were close with the Danish, poxic. I think it's like the whole Italian/Spanish closeness.) To be fair, she is technically my farmor, and my grandfather my farfar, but my cousins got here before I did so they got the correct name. My family just continued with it to be consistent :)
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:45 am UTC

poxic wrote:Congrats, and squee all you like! :D

I thought Danish had bestefar/bestemor?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:39 am UTC

Bluh, just had a weirdly heavy flow - completely soaked through to the point of leakage one of the regular sized tampons that usually lasts at least several hours. Guess my uterus at least gets points for enthusiasm this month?

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

Hey crystal_owl, I know I don't post all that much anymore, but I do lurk, and I just wanted to say that I'm really glad you (and others) post in here and I feel lucky that I'm able to see how things have turned out for you vis a vis the whole tampons thing, among other stuff. Seriously, it's freakin' awesome to see positive changes happen even a little bit because of the Woman Thread.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

_jess, you're absolutely right, it is awesome how the Woman Thread helps. This is my second period using entirely tampons and when I think back to the days when I was too nervous even to try them...this thread has had a real practical impact! We're a lucky bunch of ladies.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

jmrz wrote:Oh, I do tweeze my eyebrows (which I don't need to do often and it's only a couple of random stray hairs). I was more talking about Moom for legs/bikini line/underarms etc.
I like moom a lot. The pain is very low, but there still is some sometimes (but it really is very very little amounts).
My problem: I get bored. The last time I moomed I did about half of one leg then went 'F it' and went to socialize. This was useful however. I ended up shaving the rest of the stuff and when hair was growing back not only did it take longer on the moomed areas but it grew in thinner when it did come back. Noticeably so.

Maybe I will moom soon. I just need to find something to keep me going for the hour it can take.

tl/dr: Awesome, keeps hair gone longer and it comes back thinner but it takes longer than shaving.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

Watch a movie?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

I think that is my plan next time. I mean, the hair is gone for weeks mostly.
I should note, moom can only grab hairs if they are long enough. Like, 2 weeks from your last shave long. Also it is easier because of the changes in hair follicles after 2 weeks? I don't know, but I often have tiny hairs that I cannot see but can sometimes feel.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

I've not come across Moom before but a bit of googling has got me interested. I usually shave simply because it's so quick but my legs often feel a little irritated afterwards and it grows back quickly. I had a salon wax once but it was expensive and not that impressive, and the one time I bought some normal home waxing strips I ended up cursing like a sailor and wimping out after two strips as it hurt so much! My only question is why does it take so long? I'm not sure how long I can be bothered to dedicate to my legs when they'll be covered by tights all winter...

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:14 pm UTC

Well, it takes a while because you can only do 3x2 ish inch sections at a time. Roughly. Also, I find the moom cools faster than I would like so I have to reheat it every 10 minutes or so. And I am likely a little slow with the application. YTMV

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

I used Moom a fair bit last summer, but then I ran out and I couldn't be bothered to buy more when my legs weren't on show in the winter, and then never got around to buying more this summer. I should, though, because it is overall less effort than shaving, since it lasts so much longer, and it can be done while watching tv or something...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

Hmm this moom sounds interesting. I have to shave everyday, it grows so fast. Like, maybe 2-3mm/day growth? And I have dark hair on my legs and it's decently course. So I prettymuch do have to shave every day. If I let it go a week or so, it's back to normal nonshaven length.

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

Sounds the same as me, Sungura. Having fast-growing hair is great on my head as I don't have to worry about it being cut too short (I like it long) as it'll grow back so fast, but when it comes to legs and underarms I wish it would just slow down. Especially my underarms as I like sleeveless t-shirts and my hair is dark enough that it's noticeable if I don't shave it one a day, or every two days at most. Not sure I could bear to leave my arms two weeks to Moom them though, I'd feel gross.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

You would need help to moom your pit. You need to hold the skin with one hand and pull with the other (so you don't just tug at the skin) and I have never figured out how to do my pits alone. Or at all really. I sweat so much that by the time I put the cloth strip on I have almost sweated off the honey moom stuff.

Unrelated: Moom tastes good and I once had to ask a roommate to stop eating it.

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

Moom tastes good and I once had to ask a roommate to stop eating it.

You should absolutely submit this sentence to the testimonial section on their website! :lol:

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

Having pale skin and dark body hair, I have pretty much abandoned shaving my legs, and only shave elsewhere on occasion. I've finally just got comfortable with my body-hair and am no longer afraid to go au naturel in public :D Up until my friend's wedding the other day (I didn't think they were quite ready for my ideas on hair freedom), I had quite respectable pit bushes, which I had grown rather attached to :wink: It was a kind of closure; the last time I was anywhere near as hairy was before I started shaving, at like 13. Then, my body hair was a source of shame and disgust. Now, I can be the happy, beautiful wookie that I am.

That said, if and when I feel like some hair removal, I might try some waxing...

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

So Moom is just a version of waxing, right? But it's less painful? I'm tempted by the fact that it lasts longer than shaving, although I don't know if I have the patience to sit down and wax my legs.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

Yeah, I have not shaved my armpits in over 6 months and I think I removed my leg hair in June. it is sort of amazing to let yourself be your own personal definition of sexy without regular maintenance. Like, you wake up and are sexy. It is hard to do in Western culture.

When I first stopped shaving it was winter and my love was all 'I get it, it is cold and things' and by the time it got warm he got used to it. He actually keeps some areas better trimmer than I do (though I have less back hair).

Yeah, I don't remove hair really, but when I do I moom.

Moom is a sugaring kit, so instead of using hot wax you use a warm honey like substance. The warmth and the good for your skin formula seem to help with the pain issues. The first time I did it I did not flinch, much to Meaux's surprise. Unlike wax excess stuff can be removed with water, and the cloth strips that come with the kit are reusable.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

I tried sugaring last summer, it worked pretty well for my legs and didn't hurt very much (for me personally), but I found it to be too much of a hassle and I could never get it to work on my girl parts area.
Rice Puddin.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

I find moom works great in the bikini area, but I don't go too close to anything (just what would stick out of my suit).

Trimethylxanthine

Postby Trimethylxanthine » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

just posting to vent, really...

I got the implant back in august and have become emotional... probably average girly level of emotional, but WAAAAYmore than usual (i can recall crying twice since i was about 14) but I'm like WTF.

I have no idea how to deal with emotions and crying and stuff and its really weird and confusing - I've gone from barely expressing emotion and never crying to almost bursting into tears at really insignificant things.

so, has anyone else had this and how did you deal with it (currently trying teddybear and a book :p)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

Well, first, not feeling guilt about it. Your feelings, hormonal or not, are valid. And anyway, guilt just magnifies it and makes it into a bigger deal.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:43 am UTC

I can't tell what is hormonal and what is a problem anymore. If I start crying at lunch time, four times on the way home, and then after I get home I can't eat because of the crying...that's a problem, I think. But I also took the NuvaRing out on Sunday. But I also do that every month, and it's not normally this bad. But I've also been having cramping and spotting since last...Thursday, I think? Which is a week ahead of schedule, and I've NEVER had even a hint of bleeding or sharkweeking before taking the ring out before.

I don't know. I am confused and upset. I am basically taking Excedrin at work every single afternoon for the headaches, and taking Ambien every night that I feel like sleeping. I'm having uncontrollable sugar cravings and going on candy binges (whish is SO against the rules of what I'm supposed to eat). I feel horrible and vaguely nauseous all the time, and I'm having heart burn a lot when that's never in my life happened before. Has anyone else had this type of experience and have it be ladyparts-related? I just don't even know what to make of it all.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:00 am UTC

That is just about what happened when I tried to go back on the pill after stopping for a couple months. O_O Heartburn, general crappy feeling, severe lack of appetite, frequent abject despair-- after a couple weeks I decided "fuck it, I cannot deal with this shit" and went back off. (Luckily contraception is not an issue for me atm. >_>) Looking it up on the internet it seems to be a fairly high-dose brand, so I've been hoping that maybe if I go on a lower-dose prescription I will get the same old benefits without being nearly suicidal for a couple of months? (But the acne's finally clearing up, so I don't know if I care enough to bother going back on it anymore... was originally put on it at 15 due to lack of period, stayed on it for years due to apathy/pronounced disinclination toward pregnancy despite ~0% chance of it happening/fear of the hormonal insanity I had getting on the damn thing recurring. Stopped because I was getting a lot of spotting and mid-cycle crampish things, and also because I was curious to see if I could.)

Sorry to tangent into my own story, I've been toying with the idea of posting it here for ages. To sum up: rather similar hormone-related symptoms, even if the situations don't seem like they should be analogous. For what it's worth. *hugs*

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

*Hugs* for everyone with hormonal sadness. I can't really help other than offering internet cuddles...

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

Okay so no one really knows this yet but I found out two days ago that I might never be able to orgasm or feel anything during sexual intercourse. It can be rectified by some expensive medicines and stuff but I don't have that kind of cash right now. I know it may be fine when I finally have money but that will take a long time and I'm really _really_ sick of waiting >.< They said I have something called "Sexual Arousal Disorder" or whatever. It's like I *WANT* to get there but I can't. Maybe because of my depression. I hate this.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:17 pm UTC

:( *hugs hugs hugs*
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:46 am UTC

:( Try to remember that this is a temporary state and it can be treated. So while right now sucks, the future may not suck as much...
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Return to “General”