[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shivahn

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Shivahn » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:06 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Shivahn, if you're not yet comfortable with overtly feminine accessories, maybe more gender-neutral necklaces or rings would work? Head to etsy or your nearest market and have a look at some of the leather-thong-based necklaces, or simple pendants on chains; maybe there will be something there that you find suitably feminine but can also pass as neutral if you need it to.

I'll look into that, but I'm planning on making myself a pendant within the next nine weeks (or two, I know you end up with a product from the casting class, not sure about the beginner's fabrication one).

The one I want to make is... decidedly not something I'd wear outside of my clothes, though.
Spoiler:

So yeah, I might end up heading to Etsy after all :P

So many choices. Fashion is hard!

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:12 am UTC

I like that design. It would make a great tattoo.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:08 am UTC

Thanks! It totally would. I really like it too, but it's not exactly something I want to be flashing around everywhere. If I get the courage to wear it, it's going under my shirt.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:20 am UTC

My tattoo. Right between the shoulder blades.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:21 am UTC

Neat! I'm glad someone beat me to the idea :D

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:35 am UTC

<3 tattoo and necklace.

Is all.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:00 am UTC

@ sungura:
Spoiler:
I have a Paragard, and while blood definitely makes a star appearance on 1-2 days, before the blood and after the blood, stringy, brown vessel-y things and clots play a pretty important starring role. And my IUD's finally settled, I think - I'm now back to normal length, normal volume periods, just with a different distribution.
It's not the 12 hours of bleeding I had on the NuvaRing - literally I could time it to the half hour. Oh, it's Thursday and 11 a.m., should put a pantyliner in, will start spotting before noon! - but I also like having my normal sex drive. Plus, not needing to worry about it for 10-12 years? Awesome.

Also, on the button shirt thing, for anyone in the US with access to a Sears, the apostrophe line has a button up called "the essential" that I can actually wear a medium in, instead of needing to go to a L-XL for boob coverage and then being baggy/too long everywhere else. The buttons stop mid-way up my cleavage, but with a cami underneath it looks professional, and actually is flattering.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

That is a pretty great tattoo, Jessica.

katethegreat

Postby katethegreat » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

Shivahn:
You might want to buy some belts. I always find that wearing a belt at my waist (my thinnest point) helps create an hourglass figure and eliminate the pregnant look that some loose clothes can make. :lol:

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:27 am UTC

Re: Fitted shirts-- I love button ups so much. My problem with them is that while they do sometimes allow for boobs (SOMETIMES), they never allow for my stomach. Most of the ones I've found are built for completely flat stomachs. As my stomach is not and will never be flat, I have to size way up to avoid the buttons pulling.

Also, I love the waist-belt! It looks really cute. Though I don't mind the pregnant look either, since that's just what my body naturally looks like and I try to avoid feeling like I need to hide that.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

manictheatrefan

Postby manictheatrefan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Hello Woman Thread!

I have a question (questions, actually) about sugaring... specifically for my armpit. I don't want to bother with legs or bikini area as the weather's getting colder and I'm not going to be exposing those areas anyway. I've heard sugaring is less painful than waxing and more permanent than shaving... but I'm a bit confused about how it actually works. My local drug store sells "body sugar" in units of 140ml (bottle? box? no clue what the container is like as I'm browsing online right now). So if I want to do sugaring, I buy it and... ?! Do I need some sort of strip to pull the hair off (IS that how sugaring works? I have no idea) ? Or do I only have to purchase the "body sugar"?
Thanks!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:46 pm UTC

Okay remember when I posted about my role this year in the murder mystery? Well this is what I came up with. THe skirt does have 2 pockets so I can hide a flask or two (since I'm supposed to be a drunk with a history of roudiness, theft, and prostitution and can't keep out of jail haha) I think this works, yeah? :) I like it anyway. Gonna see if I can find some yellow or green? tights but I'm kinda liking the bare leg look too...thoughts?
Spoiler:
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:03 am UTC

wonderful, garish, and amazing all at once. I wish I had that kind of wardrobe, lol... well, at least the shirt.

the way you are dressed just screams troublemaker 8) and I mean that in the nicest possible way :)
The colour combinations are impressive

IMHO, I'd stick with the bare legged look. The tights would just be overkill. You'd look too much like someone who just jumped into a bucket of tye-dyed paint.
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:55 am UTC

manictheatrefan wrote:Hello Woman Thread!

I have a question (questions, actually) about sugaring... specifically for my armpit. I don't want to bother with legs or bikini area as the weather's getting colder and I'm not going to be exposing those areas anyway. I've heard sugaring is less painful than waxing and more permanent than shaving... but I'm a bit confused about how it actually works. My local drug store sells "body sugar" in units of 140ml (bottle? box? no clue what the container is like as I'm browsing online right now). So if I want to do sugaring, I buy it and... ?! Do I need some sort of strip to pull the hair off (IS that how sugaring works? I have no idea) ? Or do I only have to purchase the "body sugar"?
Thanks!

I think "body sugar" sounds more like an exfoliant for scrubbing your skin with while you shower, but I don't know anything about sugaring to remove hair.

manictheatrefan

Postby manictheatrefan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:01 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
manictheatrefan wrote:Hello Woman Thread!

Thanks!

I think "body sugar" sounds more like an exfoliant for scrubbing your skin with while you shower, but I don't know anything about sugaring to remove hair.

Yep, that's what I thought at first too, but there's a description and it specifically says the sugar is for hair removal...

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:32 am UTC

Have you tried googling the specific brand for reviews/instructions? That's what I always do when I'm unsure about a purchase. Some reviewers even go so far as to create instructional YouTube videos but that seems less likely in the care of armpit hair removal...
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

manictheatrefan wrote:I have a question (questions, actually) about sugaring... specifically for my armpit. I don't want to bother with legs or bikini area as the weather's getting colder and I'm not going to be exposing those areas anyway. I've heard sugaring is less painful than waxing and more permanent than shaving... but I'm a bit confused about how it actually works. My local drug store sells "body sugar" in units of 140ml (bottle? box? no clue what the container is like as I'm browsing online right now). So if I want to do sugaring, I buy it and... ?! Do I need some sort of strip to pull the hair off (IS that how sugaring works? I have no idea) ? Or do I only have to purchase the "body sugar"?
Thanks!
Purchase + Knowledge, apparently. Given it specifically mentions that getting the consistency right is hard, it may be difficult to do at first, and you may end up making several different batches trying to figure it out. I'd suggest even trying it at a salon or something first, but apparently it's difficult to find one that actually does it, and not just some sugar/wax combination.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

@Sungura: Faaaabulous. But actually, I'd go for the tights. Maybe I'm skewed from living in a college town, but right now to my eyes that outfit is only barely tipping the scales of trashiness very slightly - tights is what would really push it into true tastelessness.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

But only really sparse fishnets, in my half-considered opinion. Perhaps with some cosmetic damage.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Yeah, runs in the stockings would be a characteristic touch. Maybe go for smeared lipstick, too - applied as the night goes on and you imbibe more deeply from your flasks?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

For an extra touch of trashy keep the flask in your cleavage and not the skirt pockets. Also, temporary tattoo.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:52 pm UTC

Jacque wrote:something I was too distracted to read
That is one freaky avatar, sir.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:43 pm UTC

Mavketl wrote:
Jacque wrote:something I was too distracted to read
That is one freaky avatar, sir.

I aim to please.

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

I'm late to the party on this one, but Jessica, I love your tattoo! One of the best I've seen in terms of really meaning something. Shivahn, make sure you post pictures of this pendant when you make it!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

awwwe thanks :)

I love my tattoo.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

crystal_owl wrote:Shivahn, make sure you post pictures of this pendant when you make it!

Of course!

Provided it does not shame me :P

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:02 am UTC

Hm...third month on my new pill. I still haven't had any breakthrough bleeding (yay!), but I'm having an especially heavy period this month. Nothing too intense, I just had to use one extra tampon today than I usually would. I'm just glad I had an extra one with me. Still no effect on the acne. Hard to say yet whether it's really affected the length, especially with this weird one. I'm going to keep with this one for a few more months to see if its effects are still in progress.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:26 am UTC

YES I'm not pregnant!

I suppose the missed shark weeks have been due to massive amounts of stress. Doesn't my body realize that scaring me like that will not help the stress issues, though?

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:17 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote: Maybe I'm skewed from living in a college town, but right now to my eyes that outfit is only barely tipping the scales of trashiness very slightly - tights is what would really push it into true tastelessness.
Same here. I immediately thought "well that looks pretty normal...". I think some torn-up fishnets would be lovely... particularly colored ones if you want to head towards a rebellious punk look. Mess around a bit with your hair (poofy ponytail?) and heavy makeup, and that outfit is pitch-perfect.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 pm UTC

femtometer wrote:YES I'm not pregnant!

I suppose the missed shark weeks have been due to massive amounts of stress. Doesn't my body realize that scaring me like that will not help the stress issues, though?
Bodies are stupid.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

Strange thing from this morning. Last week I just could not find my sea sponge tampon (near the end of the week). No big deal. I found it this morning.
Spoiler:
In my vagina.

So it was in there for like a week. And the only thing that happened was a stronger smell, but not a bad or unusual one. I had sex, did all my normal life stuff. Everything is fine.
I forgot that sponges are sort of built for that. My natural flora just spread to the sponge too. So everything is fine. Except I am apparently forgetful enough to lose a sponge in my body for a week (almost). It does explain why the end of Shark Week was so strange. I was not 'bleeding', but I could squeeze out blood when I went to the bathroom. Cause I was wringing out my sponge.

Weird.
Moral: the sponges are so comfortable you might forget about them.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:59 am UTC

Two lady rants:

1. My two months of Yasmin (the lower-dose Pill my lovely new doctor gave me for free because she had free samples of them in her office) have run out, and I can't afford to buy the same brand and formulation regularly because they cost a whopping $80 per month. So I went back on my old BC, and within 2 days, a mere 2 days, *poof*, libido disappears again. Knew the Yasmin was a good idea, though it didn't put me back at my pre-Pill libido levels, but had hoped that some of the libido loss and regain might have been somehow psychosomatic, and now I'm beginning to feel almost completely sure that it is not. When she prescribed the Yasmin, the doctor was all, "See how you like it - maybe you'll find that it's worth the money." Well, that's just dandy - even if the Lad pays half of it, we still really can't afford an expense like that.

2. Gah, lipstick should not smell like Clag glue. Especially when the sample didn't.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:56 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Two lady rants:

1. My two months of Yasmin (the lower-dose Pill my lovely new doctor gave me for free because she had free samples of them in her office) have run out, and I can't afford to buy the same brand and formulation regularly because they cost a whopping $80 per month. So I went back on my old BC, and within 2 days, a mere 2 days, *poof*, libido disappears again. Knew the Yasmin was a good idea, though it didn't put me back at my pre-Pill libido levels, but had hoped that some of the libido loss and regain might have been somehow psychosomatic, and now I'm beginning to feel almost completely sure that it is not. When she prescribed the Yasmin, the doctor was all, "See how you like it - maybe you'll find that it's worth the money." Well, that's just dandy - even if the Lad pays half of it, we still really can't afford an expense like that.

2. Gah, lipstick should not smell like Clag glue. Especially when the sample didn't.

Ouch. Not to be preachy, but have you looked into getting an IUD instead? Even if you don't have any help to pay for it, the whole procedure would be less than a year of Yaz pills at that rate... and if you get a non-hormonal IUD, you have no libido side effects to worry about.

Sorry if this is unwelcome advice.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

I'm ok with receiving any and all advice. And I will be looking into the IUD, though the new doc seemed reluctant to discuss it as an option; she pretty much skipped right over it, saying something along the lines of, "We tend to only give those to women who've already had kids", which, well, yeah, doctors do like covering their arses in terms of liability, but I'm pretty sure that is not the standard response of all medical practitioners in this fine country.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

My doctor didn't even ask if I had kids before she gave me the IUD. I guess she (hopefully) was doing her job, and read the extensive health questionnaire they made me fill out, so she knew that I hadn't had any pregnancies. It didn't seem to be an issue.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

The general consensus with IUDs seems to be that finding an understanding doctor is half the battle, so keep asking. I used to be on Yasmin until my migranes meant I had to stop taking the Pill, and it made my shark weeks much more bearable as well - they were lighter and it completely stopped the cramping. If it weren't for the migrant-blood-clot-worry thing I would probably still be on it. Sigh.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

What about the generic of Yasmin? Ocella, I think it's called? I would imagine it would be substantially cheaper... You've probably already looked into that, though.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:10 am UTC

Ashlah, I had not, but I certainly will now.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:40 am UTC

Hello, woman thread, I need some advice again.

I'm going out with a friend tomorrow, shopping. I want to get flared jeans, hair clips, ribbons, etc.

And makeup to cover my beard shadow.

Which would be fine, if either my friend or I knew anything about makeup.

So, I guess my question is: if neither of us knows anything about makeup, should we bother trying to get it? Or should I wait until someone more experienced can come with us? I think what I'm looking for is foundation. Do I just get one that matches my skin tone, or are there other qualities I should look for?

I'm sorry to keep asking these basic questions, but again, I'm kind of stepping into a new world, and there is... a lot I don't know about it.

It's pleasant, but sort of overwhelming at first :P

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:44 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:Hello, woman thread, I need some advice again.

I'm going out with a friend tomorrow, shopping. I want to get flared jeans, hair clips, ribbons, etc.

And makeup to cover my beard shadow.

Which would be fine, if either my friend or I knew anything about makeup.

So, I guess my question is: if neither of us knows anything about makeup, should we bother trying to get it? Or should I wait until someone more experienced can come with us? I think what I'm looking for is foundation. Do I just get one that matches my skin tone, or are there other qualities I should look for?

I'm sorry to keep asking these basic questions, but again, I'm kind of stepping into a new world, and there is... a lot I don't know about it.

It's pleasant, but sort of overwhelming at first :P

You don't need to know anything about makeup to buy some. Just buy something inexpensive so if it turns out wrong for you, you can try something else. I don't know anything about makeup, I always just eyeball the shade when it comes to foundation. With 2 pairs of eyes I'm sure you guys will come up with something that's close enough to your skin color.

I recommend getting a liquid foundation and use it as the base (apply using fingers or triangular makeup sponges, they're cheap and keep your hands cleaner), then get a powdered foundation (with a large brush) to brush over the liquid. That way it sets the color in your face and it won't melt off if you sweat.

Return to “General”