[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:03 am UTC

When you buy a foundation, you should be matching the colour to the skin along your jawbone, and it should match that colour when you're standing in natural sunlight - try to go to a shop with an exit that leads out into the street so you can see how the colour looks in natural light, and bring a handmirror with you.
You can apply foundation with a sponge, or a brush, or your fingers - I always have the most success with fingers.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:11 am UTC

I always match to the inside of my wrist. It's easier to see in the shop compared to my jaw. :wink: mind you, I'm a pasty pale person so all of my skin is pretty much the same colour...

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

Try out the foundation on the inside of your wrist - you're looking for it to blend in smoothly and offer light coverage. If it looks orangey or pale then try a different shade. The best way to apply liquid foundation is with a foundation brush - you can get really nice ones that are expensive, so for now just look for a relatively cheap one to try out. Get some sponges too, as they can be useful for blotting if you have a particular blemish you want to cover every now and then. When you're applying it don't layer it on thickly - without seeing you I can't tell you how easy or difficult your beard stubble will be to cover, but if a thin application doesn't cover it just add another. It'll look better if you layer it on gradually rather than putting on one thick layer, and it'll feel much more comfortable for you too.
When looking for a powder foundation I suggest looking for one that advertises itself as being mineral based or natural, as this will clog your skin less. You can get either loose powder or pressed, but as you'll be using it to set the liquid foundation I suggest you get a loose powder as it'll easier to sweep on with a large powder brush - again, just get a cheap one until you're sure it's the right one for you.
Wearing foundation can make you look a bit too pale, depending on where you're wearing it - if you're just going to use it to cover the beard area of your face then you should be fine, but if you decide to cover your entire cheek area you might want to look into getting a light blusher to give your face some colour. If you do this avoid the red shades - get one with pink undertones as they're much more subtle, depending on your colouring. As with the foundation, try it on your inner wrist - you want it to give you a gentle blush of colour - if it looks like your skin has been rubbed at then it's too dark, try a lighter one. You can either put this on with your powder brush, or some blushers come with a little brush in the pack.

Shopping for makeup is fun, so just plunge in and experiment! Make sure you've got a nice cleanser to take it off again at the end of the day, and moisturise your skin morning and evening to keep it healthy. Never sleep with your makeup on! It really doesn't matter that you and your friend don't know anything about makeup, you'll soon learn what you like and how to use it. If you were in England I would take you makeup shopping!
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

regarding beard cover. While I was attempting to cover my beard, I found the best product I found was Studio finish by MAC. It's a small container of concealer, but it does a really good job of hiding the beard underneath.

Other than that, it's all try and buy. I've also found that makeup stores (or kiosks) generally have people who work there that know a bit about makeup. They will usually try and sell to you, but that doesn't mean that they don't know what they're talking about.

Hope you can find something!

-Jess
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:47 am UTC

Thanks everyone! I went shopping today as I said I would. I got some foundation that works pretty well. The only problem is that the foundation seemed to all be for pale->tan->brown ladies. I am peachy. But it works, my cheeks just look sort of flushed :P

I got some hair clips, a cute mirror, some hair ties (cheap ones, but I wanted a pink one to wear in lab because I need to hold my hair out of the deadly toxins SOMEHOW), a cute hat and some gloves. On the plus side the gloves are really awesome red-and-black fingerless stretchy ones with a stretchy tube around the wrist.

On the downside, they don't fit me at all and were one of the only two items that were unreturnable.

But me being me, I'm just going to go to the fabric store sometime this month and get some stretchy striped fabric, then make my own. I think that's cooler than store bought stuff anyway.

So what else. I went to Old Navy, which was having a sale so jeans were about half off, and got myself two pairs of girl jeans. I felt indescribably awesome trying them on. I got teary in the store. It was a... complicated feeling.

So, yes! Shopping trip was a success. Both the friends I went with want to go again, so once my wallet (and legs, we were at the mall for hours and hours) recuperate, I'm headed back to try on button down shirts, get more T shirts, try on a waist belt, and maybe more hair clips and other miscellaneous things. And more pizza, because lunch was delicious. And my friend said that my jacket made me look thin, which is neat, and that she loved the contrast (I do too, it's a black jacket and a magenta/pink shirt under it).

Anyway I am just really happy right now. I can't wait to go back and try the rest of your ideas.

And I'm really excited for jewelry class - we're starting the wax carving at the end of class Tuesday, and I can start trying to perfect what will eventually become my pendant then.

Jessica, I wish I'd seen that right before I went out. That is cheaper and looks better than what I bought. I know what I'm getting when I run out though :D

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

Ahh, I really want to give you a hug right now! I'm just happy at the thought of you being so happy finding nice makeup and jeans and getting teary in the shop. I'm a sentimental little thing! :P

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:57 pm UTC

Woman Thread: Proud Mum.

I am super glad you found a bunch of things that you like and that suit you! I hope you have the same luck when you go back for more shopping!
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:04 pm UTC

Congratulations on a successful shopping spree!

Less cheerful shopping story:
I went shopping with my teenage sister yesterday, so we hit a lot of those 'cool' stores for teenagers. There were so many really young girls in those stores... one girl I swear could not have been older than 8 was there with her mother, hair dyed and arranged in a super adult style (the girl, not the mother), worriedly discussing if piece of clothing X suited her figure well enough. What the hell, world? It was really depressing.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

Thanks everyone! It really was pretty neat.

Mavketl wrote:Congratulations on a successful shopping spree!

Less cheerful shopping story:
I went shopping with my teenage sister yesterday, so we hit a lot of those 'cool' stores for teenagers. There were so many really young girls in those stores... one girl I swear could not have been older than 8 was there with her mother, hair dyed and arranged in a super adult style (the girl, not the mother), worriedly discussing if piece of clothing X suited her figure well enough. What the hell, world? It was really depressing.

That reminds me of one sort of... depressing/obnoxious thing. When I was in the makeup store, my friends and I were playing around with the nail polish. Two of the first ones on the top row were "Domestic Goddess" and "Iris I was Thinner."

It's sort of depressing to see gender roles and oppressive body ideals being idolized in product names :?

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

Yay Shivahn!!! ^_^

I really need to learn how to do makeup one of these days...
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:29 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:Hello, woman thread, I need some advice again.

I'm going out with a friend tomorrow, shopping. I want to get flared jeans, hair clips, ribbons, etc.

And makeup to cover my beard shadow.

Which would be fine, if either my friend or I knew anything about makeup.

So, I guess my question is: if neither of us knows anything about makeup, should we bother trying to get it? Or should I wait until someone more experienced can come with us? I think what I'm looking for is foundation. Do I just get one that matches my skin tone, or are there other qualities I should look for?

I'm sorry to keep asking these basic questions, but again, I'm kind of stepping into a new world, and there is... a lot I don't know about it.

It's pleasant, but sort of overwhelming at first :P

The typical advice is to get a color that blends into your jawline. Really try to make sure there aren't any noticeable makeup lines. That was my biggest issue when I started using foundation. I second the powder makeup - that and concealer is pretty much all I use. It gives a much more natural look, and is much more forgiving for first-time makeup users, and may help hide some lines you missed.

A word of warning though - I'm not sure how well makeup will cover a beard shadow. First off, I'm unfamiliar with beard shadows, and what they actually are, but I'm assuming they exist because your hair is growing back. Makeup can even out color, but hair might be a bit tough for it to handle. Still, you can try it out. My guess is that the best bet would be to have a really close shave though.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:32 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:A word of warning though - I'm not sure how well makeup will cover a beard shadow. First off, I'm unfamiliar with beard shadows, and what they actually are, but I'm assuming they exist because your hair is growing back. Makeup can even out color, but hair might be a bit tough for it to handle. Still, you can try it out. My guess is that the best bet would be to have a really close shave though.

In case you're curious, generally the attempt is to hide the shadow created by the bits of hair that are beneath the surface of the skin, since it's impossible to shave that off.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:02 pm UTC

Yesterday was a good day for me and irrational fears! I've been really wanting to go swimming for a while but because hearing aids aren't water proof I can't wear them in the pool, so I've never actually been swimming by myself before. So yesterday I decided to take the plunge (no pun intended) and just go for it. It was really fun, though I'd forgotten what hard work it is. Also hilarious - I told the lifeguard I was deaf so wouldn't hear him if he called a warning and he said, completely seriously, 'That's fine, we tend to throw stuff at people if we need them.' Excellent lifeguarding skills on display there! So that's one fear conquered. But it gets better! After swimming I went to the sauna attached to the pool, as I love saunas but hardly ever get to use them. I'd been in there for a few minutes when a guy came in - older than me, solidly built, wearing (of all things) a speedo, but perfectly courteous, said hello and just sat down a few feet away. And I didn't panic at all. I didn't have to give myself my usual mental lecture reminding me that not all guys are bad, or going to hurt me or try it on or anything. I was perfectly fine with him being there - it was just two people enjoying weirdly high temperatures. I left a few minutes later as it was getting too hot for me, but I made a point of smiling and saying goodbye so he didn't think he'd scared me off or anything. Not exactly a big event, but in a way it was a big moment for me, as those feeling of irrational fear are something I've been fighting for ages, and this is a big step forward!

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

Sounds like a great day crystal_owl. I should try to go swimming more often in winter, but I really prefer outdoor pools/lakes--and those are a bit chilly here this time of year.
Rice Puddin.

Enid

Postby Enid » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Crystal_owl, that sounds awesome! I am a massive lurker, but I just wanted to chime in and say that the way you just seem to be charging forward and living the way you want to is really inspiring.

So a bit of somewhat positive from work yesterday. I was working the customer service desk and pulled a man from a regular checkout line because he only had two items and I wasn't doing anything else. He starts joking around saying, "I guess it is all about who you know!" It isn't really funny, but I laugh because...that's what you do when customers tell jokes. He follows that with,"Yeah, I get that a lot from women." My laugh this time is decidedly uncomfortable. The good thing is, he actually apologized! He seemed to immediately realize that what he said was kinda crossing a line and made me uncomfortable, so he apologized and was very courteous as I finished the transaction. It turned an encounter that would have made me kinda unhappy and angry for a bit into one that actually made me smile. :D

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

Yay Shivan!
Yay owl! :D
Yay enid!

This must be a week for successes as I have one of my own to share too! I was a bit nervous about going to the fall TAG CaveIn (1200 people! Of which I was going with one person I know, and ended up I saw three people there I know, and two I met on a cave forum, but actually had a lot of fun with 2 new friends) and usually I don't do well in large strange groups, but I was fine! Which was awesome. And to top it off, one of my new caver friends is actually a massage therapist type person and I actually asked for a neck massage (and he did give me one Oh me yarm it was amazing). Like, the fact I did that, shocked me. New guy never met before, my father's age therabouts (probably not as old but next generation up), asking and then letting him touch my neck? holyshit. (background - my father was abusive and tried to choke me so I'm uber sensitive and scared of having my neck touched by anyone) It was an amazing massage though...heh he commented a few times about how awfully tight I was and it was too bad he didn't have his table and a few hours to work everything out. But sheesh, even in like, 5-10 min, my neck hurt a lot less! And I didn't feel like freaking out either even once, even when both hands were working on different sides of my neck so it was almost fully encircled!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

We all rock this week! Drinks all round!

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

Yay success(es)!

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:09 am UTC

So, after reading the above tips concerning make-up, I finally step out to admit my total ignorance and need for help in this topic. Though I am female, I avoided "girls mags" like the plague in my teenage years, and now find myself completely clueless where make-up is concerned. I would appreciate any practical and theoretical tips and tricks.

I guess I'll ask the questions in the forefront of my mind first. What is foundation, what does it do, when/why should I wear it, how do I apply it? Why do I have to pick one fitting my jawline and not some other part of my face? What else do I have to use if I wear foundation?
What role does concealer play? In what order do I put all these products on? What do I have to pay attention to when using different products together? How long does it take to put everything on in the morning and off at night? What do I look for if I don't want the stuff getting on my clothes? At which stage do I put in my contact lenses?

It all seems so strange to me, like reading about a different world or something. I suppose these questions are "Life 101" for most people.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

michaelyw

Postby michaelyw » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:56 am UTC

paulisa wrote:So, after reading the above tips concerning make-up, I finally step out to admit my total ignorance and need for help in this topic. Though I am female, I avoided "girls mags" like the plague in my teenage years, and now find myself completely clueless where make-up is concerned. I would appreciate any practical and theoretical tips and tricks.

Here's an 11 Step series of videos taking you from foundation to blending:
http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/foundation-makeup-application

About Paula's Choice:
"Each product is carefully formulated, tested, and refined until it meets Paula's exacting criteria, and all claims are based on published, scientific research concerning proven ingredients. Whether you choose to use Paula's products or others she recommends highly, Paula and her team are dedicated to helping you find the best products for your skin."

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

Don't get me wrong, michaelyw, there is a lot of useful information in there. However, it could maybe be a bit intimidating for a beginner. If I would consider to start using make-up and I would be told that I need 15 products and 20 brushes to get a 'really basic look' done, I would probably just stop considering it right away.

Maybe something easier (and cheaper) would be a good idea? Once again, I don't think that the information you're offering is bad, just that it could be a bit overwhelming.

I'm sorry that I can't really offer any advice myself, I know jack about these things.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:46 pm UTC

paulisa wrote:I guess I'll ask the questions in the forefront of my mind first. What is foundation, what does it do, when/why should I wear it, how do I apply it? Why do I have to pick one fitting my jawline and not some other part of my face? What else do I have to use if I wear foundation?
What role does concealer play? In what order do I put all these products on? What do I have to pay attention to when using different products together? How long does it take to put everything on in the morning and off at night? What do I look for if I don't want the stuff getting on my clothes? At which stage do I put in my contact lenses?

in order:
Foundation is makeup that you use on most/all of your face, it evens out skin tone and covers minor blemishes, some brands also have SPF, which is good for the preventing cancer. Some people (like me) wear it every day, others only do when they're getting dressed up and feeling fancy, some people never wear foundation. That part is just personal preference. It can be applied in many ways since you can get liquid, cream or powder foundation. Personally I use liquid foundation, it has the same consistency as sun cream. I use a pea sized amount and just rub it over my face with my hands. Other people use makeup sponges or brushes, so your mileage may vary. It's generally a good idea to match to your jawline so that it blends nicely and you don't get some awful orange face/white neck combo. Generally speaking your jaw is paler than the rest of your face, so you'll get a nicer blending. You don't have to use anything other than foundation if you don't want to. If you use a liquid foundation you might find a face powder helps keep it in place, you might also be interested in concealer, bronzer or blusher. The latter two add some colour if you're using fairly pale foundation, but again, it's preference and what you find looks good on you (eg. I never use bronzer because I'm pale and it looks weird).
Concealer is basically thick foundation (usually like, fancydress face paint consistency) that you can use to cover over bigger blemishes like spots or dark circles under your eyes. Depending on what your skin is like you might not want to bother with it, it's important to match the colour to your skin/foundation (if you're wearing it) otherwise you'll end up with orange dots highlighting the bits you've tried to cover up, which is less than ideal. I go foundation, concealer, powder, but other people put concealer on first then use the foundation to blend the colours better. There isn't anything specific you need to worry about when using things together, only that the colours are a fairly good match, which usually (but not always) means buying the same brand for everything.
I don't usually bother taking my makeup off at night (I wash my face in the shower in the morning), which makes the ladies in cosmetics shops gasp in horror when I tell them. It doesn't take long though, cleanser (or soap), warm water and a flannel will do the job in a minute, easily. I put my makeup on after getting dressed so I avoid smearing my clothes, other than that generally avoiding rubbing your face on your clothes is good. I guess if you're wearing white you'd need to be extra careful.
I'd put my lenses in before starting, but then I'm fairly blind so I need them to see. As long as your hands are clean it's all good. Definitely put them in before you do any eye makeup, since watery eyes+mascara=panda eyes.

Hope that wall o text is helpful. I should add that not wearing makeup is just as good as wearing makeup, and I wouldn't want to pressure anyone into feeling like they *had* to have a full face on before they are remotely feminine, or whatever.

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

Wow, that Wall-of-text is really helpful, thank you very much. I asked partly because I want to be able to "talk shop" when some friends are talking about makeup, but also because I use it so seldom and if I do I get comments so I feel like I haven't done it right. I think I would start wearing foundation normally and only doing stuff with my eyes and lips when I go out at night or some big event.

Also, now that I'm starting to think about job interviews I read a lot of tips-for-interviews kind of stuff and more than half claimed that women without make-up were showing that they're ugly. One even said "without make-up, this person looks unhealthy." That majorly freaked me out, because to me she looked perfectly normal. My hope is that these "rules" are more for people in law or business economics rather than engineering.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

paulisa wrote:I think I would start wearing foundation normally and only doing stuff with my eyes and lips when I go out at night or some big event.

Not advisable, sadly - foundation, in evening out your skin tone, tends to make your face look more monotone than it actually is, thus making you look kind of ill. What I tend to do for things like job interviews is put on a layer of foundation, a very light blush (a very natural, skin-like pink) with a pouffy brush on the apples of my cheeks (the part that rounds out when you smile), a little brown eyeshadow blended into the creases of my eyes (a soft faun or brown suits many complexions), and a lipstick with pink and brown tones that looks good when I try it on in the shop.
One great way to learn this kind of thing is to head into your local library and search for books on applying makeup - there'll usually be at least one in a section on personal image and lifestyle.
(I wrote a makeup guide once for a friend who'd never used it before; wonder if I could borrow it back from her and scan it in. It had diagrams.)
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

I can't really advise on interview looks, but I'd guess fairly neuteral would be good, just a little cram/brown eyeshadow or black/brown eyeliner + mascara would be enough to stop you looking washed out. I suspect the "rules" of appearance are a bit different between law/business than engineering, I know law certainly places a lot of value on appearance and any deviations from that are frowned upon quite seriously. For jobs that don't require tailoring and nice shoes I think it's a bit more relaxed.

Tinted moisturiser might also be worth trying out, in that it looks more makeuppy than bare skin, but not quite as caked on as foundation can be.

meridian

Postby meridian » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

Ditto on the no foundation-only tactic. Single color skin is not considered lively.

My stages of make-up go like this:

Night time going out: Mineral foundation, concealer, blush/bronzer, three colors of eye shadow with eyeliner and mascara, light lipstick. (If I do a bright or bold lip, I will cut back on the eyeshadow. I only emphasize one feature at a time. (UNLESS ON STAGE.))

Daytime professional interview: mineral foundation, concealer, blush/bronzer, two colors of eyeshadow (the lighter colors), eyeshadow as eyeliner, lipstick. (My sister prefers a clear mascara only instead of eye liner during the day, but my eyes don't like that.)

Daytime professional daily: powder concealer if necessary, two colors of eyeshadow, eye shadow as eye liner, lip stick or gloss. (When extremely lazy, lipstick only.)

Generally, I don't wear make up, but I keep a tube of lip gloss or baum around to ward off the 'dead' look. This is usually caused by pasty/papery lips or red rims around the eyes - the latter fixed with a little powder or liner.

(Edit: spelling)
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

I don't use makeup but I would recommend the tinted moisturizer if you don't do anything. It is not thick enough to wash you out or clog your pores but it can help even out skin tones and things. I used to try it as a concealer too I believe.

Maybe I should get more of that stuff. I have been thinking about the dark under my eyes for a bit lately. I try not to wear anything normally because I have these great freckles to show off, but I always wear moisturizer with spf 15 on my face.

Make-up. I don't know tons but it seems to me that if you wear just enough to make yourself pleased you are wearing plenty.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

I don't wear makeup all the time (about a third of the time?), but when I do, there are two methods I use. The first one is to wear tinted moisturizer (I use Physician's Formula Organic Wear), followed by a light dusting of powder to take the shine off the noise and forehead, and some blush or bronzer (also mascara and some tinted lip balm). The second one is pretty much the same as the first, but instead of tinted moisturizer, I just use regular moisturizer, followed by dots of concealer on red spots and undereye circles. The only foundation that I've ever found that I liked is mineral foundation.

I know that I've said it before, but Kevyn Aucoin's book "Making Faces" is a great guide to makeup. It's fun and written with a sense of humor, it doesn't push expensive product, and it is inclusive of different genders, ages and races.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Is there anyway to use foundation/tinted moisturisor on dry skin or excema? Whenever I try it, it looks really flakey and really obvious I've got it on, so I end up rubbing most of it off.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

I have dry skin, and have also had the problem with flakiness, and the tinted moisturizer I use works fine. Powdered mineral foundation also works fine, as long as I moisturize first. Liquid and cream moisturizers I've been much less successful with.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

As far as engineering interviews/job fairs go, it's an unfair balancing act.

Sadly, at least from my experience, the people they send to job fairs are mostly from HR, and they tend to focus on how "professional" you look. This tends to mean that you're supposed to spend time making yourself appear "pretty" by societal standards. If you don't, then people in HR (again, from my experience) tend to take this as "You don't care what other people think about you, and because you're a girl, that's bad. This means you'll be a total bitch and have no team skills." How this logic makes sense, I don't know.

On the other hand, if they bring engineers along, and they often do, they tend to focus more on your skills (which is nice), but if you look "too pretty" or "too made up" or like you spent "too much time" on your appearance, they'll take this as "You're a total airhead and you have no idea what you're doing and you probably got the grades you did because you're pretty and a girl." Again, how this logic makes sense, I have no idea.

(Again, this is from my experience, talking to recruiters and interviewers "off the record" and from talking to other females)

Their suggestions: Attempt to make yourself look as "natural" as possible. (How you can look "natural" with makeup on is beyond me, but they're words, not mine.) Apparently, "as natural as possible" means foundation, concealer, blush, and maybe some mascara and neutral eyeshadow. If you're going to use lipstick/lip gloss, choose a color as close to your natural color as possible. A female acquaintance in HR mentioned that chap stick or something to keep your lips from chapping is probably better, since you have to keep reapplying lip gloss and lipstick can smudge and fade and end up looking "weird".

edit: because I can totally spell
Last edited by mochafairy on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

I'm lucky I'm not an ambitious person: if I have to wear makeup during an interview in order to get a job, I'm just not going to get that job. I completely refuse to support that particular gender expectation, even if it costs me a certain amount of economic security.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

Makeup is, like clothes, hairstyles, and many other "girly" things, a choice and one with a lot of flexibility as well. The makeup instructions given above are all wonderful, and pretty in-depth. I personally am like sophie, I love showing off my freckles (and have clear skin that I fear messing up with too much stuff covering it) but I wear big glasses so I tend to put fairly bright makeup on my eyes, plus lip balm and nothing else. Usually for me it's one medium shade of eyeshadow (gold-brown, or dusky lavender) with a darker shade in the crease of my eyelid, then dark brown eyeliner and black mascara, just on my top lashes. Then again, half the time I wear no makeup at all.

For interviews I also try to look "natural", which is a silly term for it, but there you go: concealer to even out my skin tone, pale pink and cream eyeshadows, brown mascara. I think for jobs and the like the goal is to look put-together, but not like you're wearing makeup... which is a ridiculous doublethink, but not too difficult to pull off, fortunately.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

Thank you all very much for all the advice, I'm less clueless than I was before. Thank you for the experienced insight mochafairy; I've heard of these "logics" before and they always seemed rather strange to me. On the other hand, most of out external lecturers (came in to talk about their projects and companies) made rather snide asides towards their HR-people so I guess once I'm in it's more about my skills than my looks. And probably no one cares what I wear under a lab-coat anyway.

I've encountered the "made-up to look natural" doublethink before and I've seen people who can pull it off, but I never managed that. It's probably too much of a time-investment for me to be bothered. I'm not sure I understand "neutral eyeshadow". Doesn't that pretty much not show up at all? So what does it change/make better?

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

If you're only worried about makeup for job fairs, then have a professional do makeup for you early in the day (tell them you need to look natural and professional, they will be able to pull it off on any face (except maybe if you're green like the Hulk). There's a beauty school in my area that will do your makeup for like 10 or 15 bucks. I'm sure you can find something similar on a college campus.

I am with Enuja. I am a cis female and don't wear makeup anymore for any reason (except Halloween when I'm using it to look not-human). Including job interviews.

It's one thing if you WANT to wear it because it makes you feel pretty, as above with a transwoman who wants to look and feel more feminine. It's another thing entirely if you feel like you should be wearing it but really don't want to. Be true to yourself =/
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

Shro taught me a bit about makeup. I never learned myself and I never wanted to not look natural, but I have a lot of redness to my face and I break out a lot still - and not always pimples, also allergies. I always wanted to have a bit smoother looking skin and not so redandspotted look.

So, this is what Shro taught me:
Use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer, it's a liquid foundation type thing, really light, if you forget to wash it off it won't clog your pores either, I matched it to the inside of my wrist. This covers up the redness and while pimples and allergy spots are still visible it's not a bright HEY LOOK AT ME! and it smooths out my skin tone really well and takes care of that red. Apply with a round pad thing is what I do.

Then use thisand apply to apples of cheeks (i sometimes do on the tip of my nose and top bit of forehead too) which gives some depth and not just a one-tone look.

If i'm feeling fancy I do a bit of eyeliner, I like the Almay product line, I have blue eyes so I just got products from that. They have it broken into "for hazel" "for blue" "for green" etc eyes to bring out the natural color. Works well, easy and coordinated already for use :) My eyes are my favorite physical feature of me and so I love bringing them out a bit more. Especially since I wear glasses, it can kinda hide their color a bit, and using just the bit of eyeliner really seems to make them pop out again :)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:20 pm UTC

I was maybe a bit bitter above: I do support makeup for people who want to wear makeup. I did wear makeup for a year or so when I was in high school, and then on special occasions for many years past that. At the time, I really didn't have any problem with gendered expectations, and I don't recall ever feeling that I had to wear makeup: I simply wanted to. When my SO met me, he was somewhat disappointed that he couldn't borrow my makeup on occasion, because that was something that he was accustomed to doing with girlfriends.

If people of all genders were expected to wear makeup to interviews, I'd feel different about it. As is, the expectations feel like one more secret class/gender password that people are simply expected to know. In other words, it feels like a way to discriminate against people who weren't raised in a particular way, like much of the rest of the interview appropriate rules are. I jump through some of those hoops, but it bothers me how all of the "look appropriate" hoops are a way to discriminate based on class and on income (maybe I don't have the cash to buy a nice suit: that means I shouldn't get a job?!?). The fact that makeup is a class and gender issue rolled up all together just pushes me past my current personal limits for following cultural expectations.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

A cry for acne advice again:

There's a row of zits along my right jaw that won't go away. They've been hanging around for a month now and show none of the usual signs of the typical zit life cycle. Benzoyl peroxide (2.5%) face wash hasn't helped, and neither has benzoyl peroxide (10%) cream. And when the rare one finally subsides, it leaves a dark, splotchy scar. Help?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:A cry for acne advice again:

There's a row of zits along my right jaw that won't go away. They've been hanging around for a month now and show none of the usual signs of the typical zit life cycle. Benzoyl peroxide (2.5%) face wash hasn't helped, and neither has benzoyl peroxide (10%) cream. And when the rare one finally subsides, it leaves a dark, splotchy scar. Help?

hmm. A few questions:

do you favor sleeping on that side?
do you hold your head in your hand on that side?
does your hair hang around that area of your face?
are you having any hormonal issues? late/weird periods, facial hair? have you ever been diagnosed with pcos?

I believe that acne in that area CAN be hormonally-caused, based on something that I think picturesarah said several pages back.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

Hmm...it's about that time again - Shark Week, I mean - but as I said, these have been around for weeks now. Good points about sleeping on my side and putting my hand there, though. I do have a tendency to lean my cheek or chin on my hands at my desk.

Any ideas for some kind of spot treatment to get rid of these suckers at least temporarily? I've heard tea tree oil recommended, but if benzoyl peroxide didn't work...
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Return to “General”