[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Moo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

No, such offers are sweet, thank you :)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:25 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Small note of caution: be weary of taking Ibuprofen if you have any stomach weaknesses as it's quite harsh on the stomach lining. Ideally always take with food and/or a glass of milk. Aspirin, too.
Though Asprin is worse than Ibuprofen rather than the other way around.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Moo wrote:Small note of caution: be weary of taking Ibuprofen if you have any stomach weaknesses as it's quite harsh on the stomach lining. Ideally always take with food and/or a glass of milk. Aspirin, too.
Though Asprin is worse than Ibuprofen rather than the other way around.

nah ibuprofen is famous for causing ulcers. Aspirin is mild.
uhhhh fuck.

Moo

Postby Moo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:02 pm UTC

The amazingly scientific method of GoogleFight disagrees: 96400 results for "aspirin ulcer" beats 42000 for "ibuprofen ulcer".

On a more serious note, no aspirin is not mild in the way you imply; both are NSAIDs and both can cause dyspepsia and gastrointestinal bleeding; the most common explanation for a difference in the occurrence is that ibuprofen is coated and aspirin usually isn't.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

NSAIDS of all kinds can also be troublesome for people who have renal issues. The more you know!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:42 pm UTC

Huh. And here I thought part of the major difference between the two was the aspirin is both a COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor, whereas Ibuprofen is much more COX-2 specific (about 7 or 8x greater inhibition to -2 over -1). COX-1 is present normally in the body at all times, whereas COX-2 comes up during inflammatory pain pathway. When COX-1 is inhibited, since you /do/ need it even in a normal body state (and COX-1 levels stay relativly the same in a normal and pain state) inhibiting it is what causes more of those side effects like ulcers, GI bleeding, etc. Whereas Ibuprofin, having a much higher inhibition for COX-2 than COX-1, much more specifically blocks the inflammatory pain pathway.

I've honestly never heard the coated vs uncoated reasoning before.

(obligatory IANAD note...I did work in oxidative stress and inflammation projects back when I worked in biotech, most of our products were directed at studying such pathways as COX. And this was also the explanation in every biochem/biomed class I had on the subject. Interestingly most of the time meds cause side effects is because of nonspecific interactions or "nonactions" causing problems with related pathways. Take for example Claritin, the allergy med. Now they have Claritin-D which is purely the same thing as Claritin, but it's stronger and has fewer side effects because it is only the D isomer as they discovered that was the biologically active one.)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

ginadagny wrote:NSAIDS of all kinds can also be troublesome for people who have renal issues. The more you know!

As can Tylenol and its clones (acetaminophen?), but they're generally easier on the kidneys. Just don't take a lot, y'know.

/is enormously happy that menses don't hurt more than 1 or 2 tylenols these days, usually
//when things go otherwise, a srs round of *ahem* self-help works well
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

If lemons and limes are good enough for 7-Up then they're good enough for fuckin'. That's my motto.
- pseudoidiot

That's inzest.
- ObsessoMom

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:25 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Huh. And here I thought part of the major difference between the two was the aspirin is both a COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor, whereas Ibuprofen is much more COX-2 specific
This is what I thought also.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Moo

Postby Moo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:44 pm UTC

OK, that was my understanding; please can you phrase it less passive aggressively? If you know something is true, phrasing it like "huh, and I thought all this time" actually comes across condescendingly. Tell me I'm wrong, I'm happy to learn.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

I'm sorry Moo, it was not meant in that way :/ It was meant how it was worded "huh, I thought it was this" simple like that. I am sorry that text on the Internet passed off the wrong tone.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Moo

Postby Moo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

Sorry I misunderstood, then, I just assume that if you think it's something different to what I do, it must be because you have much more knowledge in this field. Didn't think you might actually think I know better than you, it is incontheivable! :)

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

Wait acetaminophen is easy on the kidneys? I thought that one was bad for the kidneys... (specifically, I remember accidentally overdosing on it, and peeing blood... yay)

oh well.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Yay for shark week, even if it is 8 days late and I already bought and used the science you pee on (preggers test -neg) not coming while I was in DC for the Rally or during my GRE.

Also, sharing my happiness: I improved my GRE score by over 100 points! 670/670! My verbal is high enough to make me feel secure about applying to UConn now! Yay!
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

Congratulations on the GRE, I'm taking it soon (if I hit a lull this semester or early next). Yay grad school!

Let's see, my sister got engaged this weekend! I'm her maid of honor so there will a lot to help her do. He's a great guy, a real catch, and on her behalf, everyone agrees he would've been a fool to let her get away. I'm very excited and hopefully they'll hash out some of the major points (date, location, who's involved in the wedding party) pretty soon so we can start working on it. I think she wants to get married pretty soon because he's deploying to the Middle East in late March or early April, so there will be a lot to do in a short time. It'll be a great affair and I'm really looking forward to it.

Have any of you been in weddings as bridesmaids and have stories to share? It will be a traditional military wedding, so I think the rule book has already been written, but if you have any advice, I would to hear about it. I've never been in a wedding before so it's all new to me.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:03 am UTC

Jessica wrote:Wait acetaminophen is easy on the kidneys? I thought that one was bad for the kidneys... (specifically, I remember accidentally overdosing on it, and peeing blood... yay)

oh well.

Sorry to hear. :( But yeah, if you have kidley prollems, you're generally advised to 1) take nothing at all, but 2) take one or two acetaminophen tabs if you absolutely must (i.e., if you'll be ripping out the nephrologist's lungs through his ears if you don't get some pain relief).
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

If lemons and limes are good enough for 7-Up then they're good enough for fuckin'. That's my motto.
- pseudoidiot

That's inzest.
- ObsessoMom

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:30 am UTC

I totally just started a women thread on cavechat. http://www.forums.caves.org/viewtopic.p ... 259#p93246
It is kinda funny so far. I started it with my question - how the heck to change a tampon in a cave. Since my uterus decided to hate me and give me a late full old-fashioned shark week this time around if that continues caving in January down in TAG is not going to be fun uterus-wise! Amazingly too, the first reply was saying to get a diva cup. :shock: Actually I shouldn't be *that* shocked, cavers tend to be a lot more open about things I've noticed, and also very into anythingtomakethingseasier women-wise (peeing standing up comes to mind as an example).

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:58 am UTC

Jessica wrote:Wait acetaminophen is easy on the kidneys? I thought that one was bad for the kidneys... (specifically, I remember accidentally overdosing on it, and peeing blood... yay)

oh well.

You know, I was curious about this so I did a bit of google-fu and found that there can be some renal problems with acetaminophen overdose, but the biggest worry is hepatotoxicity (This was drilled into my head with my nursing training and what not).

NSAIDS are tough on the kidneys. Whenever I give a patient voltaren (ketorolac), I always have to check their glomerular filtration rate, because acute renal failure = bad news bears.

Anyways, my personal preference for shark week pain is ibuprofen. I only take maybe one tab a month so I'm not too concerned about my renal function.

Edit: Jessica, sorry to hear about that accidental overdose, must not have been fun! This pales in comparison, but I accidentally took too much salbutamol which gave me tremors and tachycardia.

meridian

Postby meridian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:12 pm UTC

I've entered the dreaded 'it's coming!' phase of my menstrual cycle. I've never been regular as far as I can tell and am always envious of women who can plan things out or know when they are late (then again, not having any penis in my life wards off any pregnancy scares, so whee!). What I get is this evil sense of foreboding, a teensy bit more squishiness in the nether regions, mood swings galore and intestinal issues as something is diverted away from regularity there and forced into cleaning out the uterus. OH and break outs, but that's an entirely different issue. If I skip a period, this 'warm up' lasts the entire month, but thankfully that's rare - rarer, the more physically active I am.

Yesterday, I almost cried at a billboard.

I was driving home from work, something I do on Mondays to save my dog's kidneys, and spotted a billboard saying 'Dedicate' (the 'ate' portion of the word in red text) and something about working toward an end to starvation until everyone says 'they have ate.' (Which in the end, was a bit of an annoying slogan as I cannot find the website anywhere linked to this billboard based off my shoddy memory. Marketing fail!)

I read it over in the limited amount of time I had in my car at that junction on the highway and literally wanted to cry. I hate hormones and my cycle and the ridiculous nature of my mood swings just as much (apparently) as I hate people going hungry.

I am not likely to check into birth control or hormonal options as I am half hoping that if I continue to spew out eggs on a monthly basis I will simply run out sooner rather than later and have a nice, happy menopause in my early to mid forties. As I am 30 now, this sounds like a wonderful plan and think I can put up with a little more crazy until then. This plan also works with the fact that I am single and not interested in random sex or a relationship at this time. (Then again, I've only been officially single for about a month now.)

----

And on a more related note: for my periods, I prefer ibuprofen, just for how it reacts with my symptoms. I've pretty much tried everything at one time or another, but always return to ibuprofen. I also use it for aches. For actual pains or fever, I'll turn to acetaminophen. And if my nerve damage acts up, then I go on a annoying regiment of as little naproxen sodium as I can stomach once a day until it clears up. I hate naproxen with a passion as it really sets my stomach to roil. I have wonderful acid reflux from time to time too, but this really sets it off. It is, however, the only thing that makes the ache of ulnar tunnel issues die for me.

Truth be known: I try to never take pain relief if possible. Someday, I'll see about switching to herbal cures instead, but right now, I'm just of the 'grin and bear it' persuasion. (Well, with lots of hot baths and massages.)
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

Eh. It's been a while since I ODed accidentally on OTC pain meds. It's always a concern, since I take them regularly, but I'm generally careful about it.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

I really liked Willoe Bark Extract when I had it. For pains in general.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

I might take a look at it in the future. Though, if I did switch to willow bark, I'd have to give up ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve), as they are contraindicated. Isn't willow bark what Aspirin was derived from?

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I might take a look at it in the future. Though, if I did switch to willow bark, I'd have to give up ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve), as they are contraindicated. Isn't willow bark what Aspirin was derived from?

Willow bark has salicylic acid in it, and a better drug, acetylsalicylic acid was synthesized from it. So, yeah, it's sort of rudimentary Aspirin.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

Feverfew can work pretty well for cramps too. And migraines I'm told, but it never helped my migraines.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

Meridian:

I once started tearing up at a cell phone commercial because they were bringing families together. My hormones aren't normally that bad though, so I'm sorry you have to deal with that monthly.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:26 am UTC

Aw that sucks Meridian - how long does that horrible "it's coming" phase usually last? I'm lucky in that mine is usually only the same day or the day before shark week arrives, and when it follows it's usual pattern I can recognise it and realise it's just pms, and that I should have some pads or the like at the ready. Unfortunately, the usual pattern is to bitch at everyone, feel incredibly irritable, want to throw things, and then burst into a ball of self-loathing tears. 3 such lovely cycles rudely interrupted what would have otherwise been a wonderful sunny Saturday: there was pecan nut flavoured gelato ice-cream, costume-hunting, free asparagus rolls on the water-front, markets, a free water-colour art exhibition and both a halloween party and a 21st. Biology is stupid.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:07 am UTC

When I was younger - still in high school - there'd be days when I'd be sitting on the couch with my sister, and all of a sudden she'd be breathing. Breathing too. Damn. LOUD. Or irregularly, or something... those would be the days with the tears, with the yelling, and when it was really bad, days when my mother and sister would avoid me, because even suggesting that it would be a good day for me to head into my room and not talk to anyone would end badly.

I was, in retrospect, pretty awful for 2-3 days every month between the ages of 13-16/17ish. Now my PMS is so much better, more crankiness and fidgitiness than anything, and I also know how to cope better. I.e., some days I just need to go somewhere and be alone, since I'll find myself being unpleasant.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 am UTC

I feel fairly lucky about PMS. I barely have it at all; only a very small amount of moodiness, easily suppressable, two days before Shark Week, and not even every month. I did have spectacularly bad cramps (of the kind where I did consider taking the day off school to literally curl up in bed and just groan) before I discovered Naprogesic and later the Pill, so I guess it's a tradeoff. They're negligible now. Woo, messin' with body chemistry!
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

I'm pretty lucky. No PMS at all (maybe mild crankiness, that's irregular enough that I can chalk it up to the random stresses of life) and on the first day I get a couple hours of cramps. But I've had enough experience with cramps that I can walk and talk and function through them even if they really suck, and I'm guessing my cramps rate on the lower end of the pain scale.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

I get overly sensitive the day or two before Shark Week, and stuff that would normally stress me out becomes unbearable. Case in point, Monday night I was sobbing because I didn't want to call in sick to work on Tuesday. And I was definitely sick, so it wasn't like a lie or anything. But I felt very guilty about it, and I always feel awkward having to call people, and my piano students would miss me, and why couldn't I be strong and just will myself to not be sick, etc etc. But cooler heads (ie. spi) prevailed and I managed to calm down long enough to call in. I didn't think of it at the time, but all the crying should have been a huge clue that it was shark week time.

Which meant that yesterday was spent being sick with a fever, chills, stuffy head, and cough AND bleeding and cramping heavily on top of it. SO GLAD I called in sick.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:17 am UTC

I never noticed being PMS'y (other than crankiness due to feeling like shit and wanting to curl up in bed with a hot pad and doped on painkillers and cry myself to sleep and make it all go away...but I would say that was more due to cramps that almost landed me in the hospital a few times rather than PMS) until I got my IUD - now day before and first day I tend to be negative. I'm usually a positive cheerful person and for a day or two I just find bad things with EVERYTHING. But it's to the point now I notice it...and so I can kinda hide it and fake it.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:41 am UTC

I have noticed a drop off in PMS or negative feelings before Shark Week in the last few years. It used to be cry at the drop of a hat, irrational nonsense I couldn't stop. But I feel almost energetic during this time now. Not that I'm complaining about it. I still get cramps on the first day--but aside from that everything is pretty smooth sailing.
Rice Puddin.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:49 am UTC

Of interest: I have at least one male friend who finds that he has cyclical mood swings on a one-month basis, almost like clockwork. (It may be more of a self-fulfilling prophecy by now, though.)
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:46 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Of interest: I have at least one male friend who finds that he has cyclical mood swings on a one-month basis, almost like clockwork. (It may be more of a self-fulfilling prophecy by now, though.)

Mine take about three months to cycle through.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:43 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
GraphiteGirl wrote:Of interest: I have at least one male friend who finds that he has cyclical mood swings on a one-month basis, almost like clockwork. (It may be more of a self-fulfilling prophecy by now, though.)

Mine take about three months to cycle through.

I've never counted the time mine take. But I do have them. o:
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

meridian

Postby meridian » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

PMS: In the classic trend of all things irregular, it varies in length. Sometimes, it's 1-3 days before period start, generally growing worse until the beginning. When my cycle pretends to be regular to add to the chaos of 'unreliable predictions,' it's exactly one week to the day. This time?

I'm Still Waiting.

It's partially stress related. As of last night, things should be calming down now, but I'm still a worrier and therefore have to worry about everything I can worry about. I am getting a massage tonight, so that should help. The other cause is likely my uterine fibroid. This was an extremely helpful and unhelpful diagnosis, as it explains some my problems, like constipation, painful periods, feeling "full" in the lower abdomen, and urinating often. It was unhelpful in the fact that mine is small (1 inch diameter - but if you think about a normal uterus being the size of a pear... that's big to me!), and there's really not much to be done that isn't horribly invasive or new. I will likely get it checked periodically (but not yearly as I don't like jamming a ultrasound wand up my vagina) and not do anything unless it gets BIG (by medical standards).

Male Cycles: When I was in high school, one of my best friends had the most predictable cycle in the world. I knew from observation that he would grow more flirtateous at the end of each month and try to shack up with someone. I got caught by one of the cycles unawares and was quite frustrated when it didn't pan out as his interest waned as time wore on. When that frustration passed, it was hilarious to play anthropologist and watch him go on the hunt until he finally found himself someone he wanted to date when he wasn't at the height of his cycle. ;)
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

This is hilarious!
Spoiler:
The other day while sounding out the words on a Web site called The Rumpus, I saw this article asking for women to submit more comedy pieces. So I put down my giant chocolate bar, stopped crying, and thought, yes, that is what I will do.

I will write a comedy piece. But just as I sat down in my bay window (filled with pillows that I knitted myself while waiting by the phone for potential husbands to call) and opened my pink Mac laptop, I happened to see a lady walking down the street with a baby of her very own.

So then I started crying again because I don’t have a baby. I cried big rolling tears that fell down onto my “Mrs. Stamos” T-shirt that I purchased off of eBay and photographed myself in for my eHarmony profile. I always say, “Dress for the job you want,” and the job I want is being Mrs. John Stamos! So, once my shirt was soaked, I had to go change it. I walked into my closet, which is gigantic because women love to wear lots of expensive clothes and shoes all the time, and I thought, “I know what will make me feel better! I will feel better if I try on all my clothes and shoes to the tune of an upbeat Motown song such as ‘My Girl.’”

And so I did that. I tried on all my clothes, and I felt better until I tried on one pair of pants that didn’t fit me anymore. And then I totally started to cry again, because I am so fat. I cried for a little while on the floor while my cats crawled all over me, purring and being symbols of how lonely I am. My cats love to be symbols of my loneliness. Sometimes, I have to be like, “Stop signifying so loudly guys, I’m watching Grey’s Anatomy!”

At this point I still had not written my comedy piece written by a woman. So I went back to the window, opened my pink computer again and looked at pictures of cute baby ducks for awhile until I felt like writing. But then I remembered that I hadn’t made anything for dinner! Every night, I like to make an elaborate dinner. Then, I set it on the table and open all the windows. My fondest hope is that the wafting smells of a home-cooked meal will lure men who are passing by to come inside and eat dinner. And then after they eat dinner, I hope they’ll eat something else. If you know what I mean. Get it? Eat something. I mean dessert. I want them to eat dessert. Because the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. Also, they are always leaving the toilet seat up! Am I right?

Anyway, twelve hours later after I had cooked, baked, cried, sewn a blanket for my hope chest, called a telephone psychic, had all my favorite Cathy comic strips laminated, and then stayed up all night trying on all my clothes and shoes again, I finally felt ready to write my comedy piece. I decided to start by asking myself, “What’s funny?” That is a tough one for me because I have no sense of humor. I mean, I assume that I have no sense of humor because all of the funny things that are made especially for women like me, such as Sex and the City, 27 Dresses, and yogurt commercials don’t even make me laugh. But I guess my humor deficiency is one of those womanly crosses I have to bear, along with P.M.S., making seventy cents on the dollar, and paying for my own rape kit. You know what they say though, you can’t make the willing pay for their own rape kits! I think they say that. Probably somebody said that. God knows I didn’t say it myself! I only say things like: “What are numbers?”

Oh, there I go again on one of my tangents. I guess it’s time for me to get serious about writing this comedy piece. Emoticon. I mean, I probably shouldn’t even try to write a comedy piece since Christopher Hitchens wrote an article in Vanity Fair saying that women just aren’t funny. He’s probably right. And even if he isn’t, I think it’s great that we live in a country where you can say anything you want, like that women aren’t funny or that Christopher Hitchens is a huge douche who runs a successful child pornography business and has an inability to get an erection unless he’s reading Nazi literature.

Well, would you look at that? I’ve totally run out of time, and now instead of writing a comedy piece, I have to go report to my regular day job knitting tampon cozies and being best friends with everybody.

Oh well, I probably would have been terrible at it anyway.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:14 pm UTC

Goddammit I have to go to work right now but man, that was HILARIOUS. Meta-comedy for the win.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:25 pm UTC

That was very good indeed :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

meridian

Postby meridian » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:56 am UTC

Yay. Waiting is over. As... 'yay' as one's period can be.
Spoiler:
- Sherlock

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:50 am UTC

So, I'm now on month #2 after going off of birth control. Shark week #1 went without a hitch (except for being almost a week late). 5 days long, and cramps only on the first day. Heavier than the shark weeks with birth control, but not unmanageable at all.
Also! (stuff about sex-related side effects)
Spoiler:
My libido is back! Like...really. I didn't realize it had left. I was still having fairly regular sex, but it has become much more regular, much more fun, I am more easily turned on, produce much more natural lube, and most importantly, no pain! I don't know how long it's been since I've had sex with *no* pain. Don't get me wrong, the sex was still very much worth having, but I was always pretty sore afterwards, even with lube. The only problems now are that my sex drive has become a bit of a distraction at times, and also that we're only using condoms. I'm a little afraid of only using condoms, but so far we haven't had a problem with them (although I hate the pause in the proceedings that is required to put them on).
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Return to “General”