[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Sandry » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

I think it's just because they're a popular request, not a statement on yours particularly. :)
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

For about one year of my life I plucked my eyebrows, when I was roughly 24 I think. And sometimes I remove hair, I did earlier this week.

It was actually a really interesting thing for me. I was pulling hairs out of my face one by one causing enough pain that my eyes were watering and it was not only socially acceptable but almost socially required. It is an odd thing to think about, that societal pressure makes life painful literally.

I think I like how my eyebrows look right now, but I am certainly not going to make a habit of this. I had a roommate in college who was pretty obsessive about it and I want to ensure that does not happen.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Also, some of the women actually got the safe time period wrong for skipping the Pill accidentally and then taking it later (said 24 hours rather than 12 would be fine without using alternate protection for 7 days). That shouldn't surprise me - not all women are sexually active, and of those, not all have tried being on the Pill - but it did still surprise me a little, which made me examine my assumptions about 4th year students.

Hm...I'm curious whether this varies by pill, because I specifically checked the information that comes with mine when we stopped using condoms, and it said if I went without for 24 hours that I would be find without extra protection. It isn't until I miss a second pill that I need to be concerned.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

It does. Some have larger wiggle rooms than others. Pretty much since they came up with another form of hormonal birth control in edible tablet form, it's not really been possible to give a 100% "This Is How The Pill Works" statement because there's no such thing as The Pill. There's gobs of different pills that use slightly different methods of making your ladybits think they're already babified or however the hell it works. Tiny cowboys maybe. I think a lot of the problems come in with many of the pills having very similar if not identical stipulations that you start to assume they all work like that and have to be taken within this time window and if you miss one you have to take your next one by this time and so on. I've heard of some pills that want you to double-dose if you miss, some that say just keep on like nothing happened, some that apparently function like a morning after pill as well, I think. They're all different... so while I'd go ahead and follow various advice on what chemicals (St. John's Wort, for example) make it ineffective before researching it on your own, any comment on how you should take it if you miss or whatever should..probably be directed at whomever prescribed it in the first place.

Also, I can, in context (sorta), post Keo's freeze dried cowboy comic.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:47 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:For about one year of my life I plucked my eyebrows, when I was roughly 24 I think. And sometimes I remove hair, I did earlier this week.

It was actually a really interesting thing for me. I was pulling hairs out of my face one by one causing enough pain that my eyes were watering and it was not only socially acceptable but almost socially required. It is an odd thing to think about, that societal pressure makes life painful literally.

I think I like how my eyebrows look right now, but I am certainly not going to make a habit of this. I had a roommate in college who was pretty obsessive about it and I want to ensure that does not happen.
Ah, see, it doesn't hurt for me. And I only pluck the sparse ones that grow in below my brow line, which means like 10 per week when I notice them. Not that big a deal to me.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

I think I probably fit into the 'finely scultped' category for eyebrows - I've had them done by a professional since I was about 16. They have an ok shape naturally but if left alone they'd meet in the middle, which I hate (on me, I hasten to add). I'm not very good at shaping them myself so I get them either waxed or threaded about once a month. The last couple of months I've had them threaded, but I think I might go back to waxing - I like the line threading gives but I hatehatehate the way it feels and it seems I'm not getting used to it. Threading is what I imagine being a piece of velcro feels like. Urg.

EDIT: Wow, I feel like my eyebrows have killed the Woman Thread..
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

katethegreat

Postby katethegreat » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

Threading is pretty awful. I did it at first because I thought it'd be less painful than plucking.... Boy was I wrong. :roll: Plucking is good because your body anticipates it (like if you pinch yourself it doesn't hurt as much), it's only one hair at a time, and it's kinda numb after a bit.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

My eyebrows don't meet in the middle, so I'm pretty much fine with the way they are. They're pretty wild, but with all the insecurities I have with my face I ain't adding eyebrows to the list on top of everything else.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

Almost 10 days straight of spotting. Oh IUD, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???

At least no cramps, and I can just use a light pad for the whole day, but still...starting to get "raw" and sore again...IUD you were supposed to cure this and you were doing such a nice job...
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:48 am UTC

katethegreat wrote:Threading is pretty awful. I did it at first because I thought it'd be less painful than plucking.... Boy was I wrong. :roll: Plucking is good because your body anticipates it (like if you pinch yourself it doesn't hurt as much), it's only one hair at a time, and it's kinda numb after a bit.

I find that if I hold one finger pressing down on the root of the hair that I'm plucking, it magically makes it not hurt at all. You have to get the pressure in just the right spot though.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:24 am UTC

I thought I'd more or less finished with the sadness for a while, but I was wrong. I has more sad today.

Kitty-cat is terminally ill, diagnosis finally made this past weekend. We is on palliative care now, painkiller cream in the ear every night and a few different health-supporting pills or powders here and there, as much as she can tolerate taking.

The vet said I should give her the painkiller (fentanyl) every day. She's had this tumour for a while, so she's certainly in pain. She's starting to ask for the fentanyl an hour or two before the 24-hour mark now, and her beseeching eyes are so hard to resist. So I give it to her.

Fentanyl is known to be short-acting. She is a (lately underweight) 8 or 9 pound kitty and not a 100+ pound human, so I can hope that it lasts longer for her, but when do I increase the dose to twice a day? Or more? The vet said it could well end up being three or four times a day after a while. I don't want to think that we're getting there already, but, y'know, reality should win over my hope here. My comfort level is way less important than hers right now.

I've emailed the vet to ask about this. It will be an agonising day or two until I hear back. I didn't want to feel this bad, but I knew it was coming. (We first saw the shadow on the x-ray in April.)

Life goes on, and then it doesn't. Loss hurts. We bring a pet into our home with the full knowledge that we will likely outlive this little life, and then it throws us to the wall when the outliving happens. And still, we will one day have a pet again. The love that accumulates through the years will see us through the grieving, and eventually out the other side.

Spoiler:
maisy_pic.jpg
In younger days
maisy_pic.jpg (107.33 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:07 am UTC

@poxic: I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. I've been there/done that twice in the last couple of years and it was an awful experience. I know how you feel about welcoming and caring for a fellow creature with a shorter life-span than yours. The only way I can look at this is that she does not see it as a short life and meeting you has made it a full and happy one. However, I really feel for you at a time like this.

[sorry, feel like a trespasser posting here with my Y chromosomes, but I had to say something]
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:13 am UTC

She's beautiful Poxic, and it sounds like you're taking extremely good and attentive care of her. Just heartbreaking but I bet being your cat was a very good life to have.
Rice Puddin.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:24 am UTC

I'm so sorry. That is heartbreaking. For what it's worth, it sounds like that cat has had the best life possible by virtue of having such a caring companion as you.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

*hugs for poxic* I'm so sorry to hear that. It is coming up on a year that Misty has been dead, he died from oral cancer. :( Pets are so hard to lose.

As to the fentanyl...I might be able to help with that question if your vet doesn't get back to you although the IANAV clause but yeah...experience with it in humans (my mom and all) and neuro experience it's a pretty common drug. Is it injectible or patch or what? What dosage? I mean, if you want. Or PM me or something if you want. Otherwise ignore my further questioning just thought maybe I could give some peace of mind if the vet is slow. *hugs*
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

*hugs*
I'm sorry, Poxic.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

meridian

Postby meridian » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

Hate hate hate losing a pet. They are such wonderful companions and losing that fuzzy support is horrible. They are definitely part of the family and I have taken days off of work when any of my fuzzy ones have passed on. Hell, I even got an extension on a college paper due to the passing of my Buttons. Many hugs for Poxic.

Re: Eyebrows.
I pluck mine so they have shape. I have a weird relationship with body hair and grooming it that runs rampant with my mood. I actually shave more during the winter as my skin dries out and the hair folicles stand on edge and rub against the sheets when I'm trying to sleep - and while lotioning them down works, it's easier to be rid of them. Under arms are shaved when I don't think my deodorant is working. Eyebrows?

Well, being artistic, I like to paint my face from time to time and make sure my brows have a bit of arch, since they would otherwise sit above my eyes like lazy fat catepillers. It's genetic. I should show pictures some time of my little brother. He has the worst set, the thickness measuring almost a half inch in some places. I also know that possibly the more expressive portions of my face are my eyebrows. I use them when I talk and when I listen and convey emotion with them better than just the squint of my eyes and the quirk of my mouth. It's part of my personal presentation, so I figure that the convention of plucking works for me.

When I'm highly motivated, I trim the hair too, making it nice and short so the strands don't curl, then shape it so it compliments my eyes. I keep the width, for the most part, since it does draw people in, and don't get them done professionally, because I rather take hair off the top than the bottom, and I don't like explaining that to people. Generally, I try to pluck them clean every week or so, just so I don't have a major reshape when the mood does strike again.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:40 am UTC

(((HUGS))) Poxic, really big loving ones.
I don't know anything about Fentanyl I'm afraid. But as agonising as the wait is, I'm sure she will be OK for a couple more days, and it's only an hour or two before the 24 that she's asking you. Alternatively, if you're particularly worried, you could see if you can find any after hours vets that would be willing to give you some advice over the phone? If such things exist. There's a quote from a book by Khalil Gibran that I've found quite helpful in the past, remember that the pain you now feel is a direct result of the wonderful time you've spent with your beloved pet and the happiness she's brought you. Like you said, the love you've accummulated through the years will see you through the grieving. Right now is difficult, but she's had the best life she could've hoped for being with you.
"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed."

On an entirely unrelated note, do any of you have any words of wisdom for putting together CV's and cover letters? I'm applying for a job in the real world, and it scares the heck out of me. :?
I need to gloss over the fact that I only have a leaner's drivers licence, and convince them that I'm perfectly capable of doing everything listed in the responsibilities, when currently I'm not... I know it's under "key responsibilities" rather than "the successful candidate will possess", and that it IS a graduate position and they'll provide training, but I still find it terrifying!

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:17 pm UTC

Cat sad is sad :( I wish I had anything helpful to offer, still not really over my own one going... and it wasn't even my friend Catherine :?

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:On an entirely unrelated note, do any of you have any words of wisdom for putting together CV's and cover letters?

Weird follow up question - are you US based? ... In the UK, a lot of agencies / organisations will earmark employers who only want people with a fill drivers licence as discrimination unless there is a good need for it in the job. I uh... have done interviews, helped other people getting their heads round CV and cover letter writings, and I currently work for a recruitment agency. I'm no expert, and I'm not sure how much stuff I know would apply across the pond and/or to different industries.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

Poxic, I am so sorry about your kitty. At least she will be with you, who have cared for her and played with her and petted her, up until the end. Losing pets is one of the harder things I have experienced.

Shark week related grrrr: It is late. Again. A full 7 days late. Last time it was 5 days late, so I am not freaking out yet, but I am not pleased.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:50 pm UTC

Oooh, that's handy e_e! It kind of is discrimination really, isn't it - when every job asks for one and bugger all of them actually need it.

Unfortunately I think it probably is a necessity for this job, but the job has been referred to me by a friend, who has mentioned to the employer my lack of license so hopefully it isn't too huge an issue, it just looks bad. Employer said that another employee in a grad role only has his restricted license... I'm on learners (and have done very minimal driving) but as I've been on it for a year if I took truck-loads of lessons in a short amount of time I can theoretically get my Restricted at any time. So long as no children or small animals get harmed in the process.

My Mum/Sister/brother-in-law think it's important to put the name of who you're applying to at the top of the letter, rather than just "to whom it may concern" or the likes, but I wouldn't want to get it wrong! I have a fair idea (if the employer my friend mentioned is the main/only person in the company it goes to), but am nervous. Also, "to sam bloggs" sounds harsh, and "dear sam bloggs" sounds overly friendly? Or maybe I just worry too much?!

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

"Dear Sir" or "Dear Madam", if you know the gender of the person you are sending it to, or "Dear Sir/Madam" if you don't, is, I believe, the accepted standard.* (The issue with names is that most companies won't have just one person dealing with hiring, and the letter may get passed from person to person - plus, getting the name completely wrong will look really bad.)

I am deeply curious as to what sort of graduate job would require driving. The only driving-required jobs I can think of mostly involve manual labour or home visits, such as postal workers or caretakers or social workers...

*Oh wow there are a lot of commas in that sentance. It seems I've got a lot left of my yearly punctuation allowance to use up...

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:17 am UTC

Geologist position in the mining industry. So while I need my degree for writing skills and understanding of mineralogy and structural geology (what quality is the ore, what's the surrounding geology, where does the layer go next, etc), I'll also probably be needing to be able to drive a four wheel drive about the mine to collect samples and watch over things and the like.

serhina

Postby serhina » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:43 am UTC

I'd imagine that, if you're otherwise qualified, companies would probably be willing to work with you as far as getting your license, maybe while you're doing other training, so that once you're fully trained you'd have the license as well? Of course, each company would be different/have different polices, and I don't really know much for sure, since I'm kinda in the same place you are with applying for real jobs for the first time. It's true, it is kinda scary. I never feel like I'm saying the right things in cover letters to convince them that I'm awesome and they want to hire me... :? As far as who to direct them to, I usually put "Attention: HR Department - Name of company" when I don't know who it's going to. "Dear Sir/Madam" can also be a good start, from what I've been told, but I prefer the bit more formal sound of the first one.

poxic, I'm sorry to hear about your kitty, losing a pet is never easy. I've had to go through that too many times, but I'd never give up the time with them to avoid the sadness when that time comes. I believe that both your and their lives are made better by spending time together, and it sounds like your kitty's had one of the best people she could have had, and that you'll make the rest of her time with you the best it can be. *hugs*

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:19 am UTC

Not particularly about jobs, but as business letter or email headings when I don't know who I'm talking to, I really like "To Whom It May Concern" because, even though it's a little old-fashioned, I really prefer the non-gendered nature of the greeting. It doesn't assume a the gender binary! Yeah! I want salutations like that to come back, even in email.

But if you are applying for a job, and you have been told who to address the cover letter to, address the cover letter to that person! Your suggested greetings (probably with a "Mr." in there, unfortunately for my non-gendered ideals) sound just perfect.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

I use "To whom it may concern" all the time if I don't know who it is going to :)

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

When writing a cover letter, you do start it with "Dear Mr./Ms. So-and-So." If you don't know the gender of the person, you're meant to look it up online (most big companies will have the full names of their top employees on their websites) and guess from the first name. If you really can't guess the gender then it's better to go with "To whom it may concern" than to assume the person is male/female. I've done loooong internet searches trying to find articles on employers so I can figure out their genders.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:15 pm UTC

Plasmic-turtle, that sounds like a pretty awesome job! I shall add it to the list of unusual jobs I did not relly think about existing before.
I got the cover-letter-addressing advice from a recruiter, when I first started applying for jobs, but I think I prefer the other suggestions... recruitment agents live in a strange world anyway.

So, I have to go view houses for me to possibly live in tomorrow. And I have to do it on my own, because everyone else I know is busy at work, and this is all quite short notice. Guh. There's enough time for me to pick up an alarm before I go, though. There are a lot of adverts for the Ila Dusk around as of late, but the idea behind it (it screams like a woman, apparantly) doesn't seem like a particularly great thing. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone have any suggestions for personal alarms, or good places to get them in London?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

On the topic of facial hair; I noticed in early November the hairs on my lip are getting darker, and decided to leave them there for Movember :D It's dark enough to annoy me now, but not a proper manly 'tache or anything. I've decided I'll donate the cost of an upper lip wax to prostrate cancer. I will be waxing it myself come 1 December though, I really like the skin on my face to be an even colour in the places it's supposed to be an even colour, the acne is bad enough in that respect right now.

Also, hugs for poxic :(
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

As far as cover letters, CVs, and all writing things, when I'm in doubt, I use Purdue's OWL.

Also, hugs and yummies for kitty and kitty's owner :( You are loved, kitty!
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

You have acne? I seriously didn't notice.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

Yay :)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

Yeah, I didn't know you had acne either, Moo. COULD'VE FOOLED ME! I didn't notice any liphair either. But my upperlip hair darkened a few years ago and so I shave it off when it gets long enough to bug me every coupla weeks or so. Waxing just sounds painful.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

My thought after I got over the confusion of seeing red this time of the month: Well, I guess I don't have to worry about that cramping stuff that was going on earlier today. Either that or I have to worry more now.

After 40 days, 28 was surprisingly early for me. Go figure.

This new during the week thing is interesting.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:48 pm UTC

Hooray, Blood!

...only 8 days late. I guess I should be pleased that my non-birth control regulated cycle seems to be lengthening. More time in between shark weeks is nice. I just wish it didn't make me so damn paranoid.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

*yay blood high five*

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

*throws blood in the air like confetti*

I wish my partner's cycle was more regular... instead of every 3 months.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:23 am UTC

Went to a department store I don't usually go to today, and was rather annoyed by the fact that the signs throughout the building pointing to toilets are "MEN'S TOILET" and "powder room". I know I shouldn't be annoyed, the store was first opened in 1863 and prides itself in being all old style and traditional and rather snobby. But still. It's like the implication is that women are too prissy to say "I need to use the toilet" and instead say "I'm just going to go powder my face" or some bullshit. I don't like the way it sort of boxes women into being all about make-up and appearances. Grrrr.

On happier news, a friend let us know about an art gallery/workshop in town, Vincents, so today me and my partner went to check it out. There are 2 tutors on hand to help you, and it has everything: clay, glaze, a kiln, paints (all sorts), paper, canvases, pencils, string, a woodwork shop, the list goes on... and it's FREE to use! It gets about half it's running costs from the government, and half from independent trusts. It's been around for 25 years and the original idea was for it to be for people with mental illnesses of whatever sort to use, particularly for those who've just left a psychiatric ward, as a creative outlet and something to do - BUT anyone is welcome! Is that not one of the coolest ideas ever? I've lived here for 6 years and am still discovering little gems like this! Everyone we met there today was lovely, too. I'm still a student at the mo, and I don't want to exploit the place, but there are koha (donation) boxes around the building so I can put in a bit of cash when I use it, and when I get a real job I could make a bigger donation. SO EXCITED!!!
Oh AND they have a women & children only day on Thursdays, which as much as it sucks for my boyfriend and other men, is good to have so there's a place where women who've been abused can feel safe.

Jessica is your partner's cycle a reasonably regular 3 months at least? Has she been to the doc about it? Sorry if you've already told the thread and I've forgot! :(

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:14 am UTC

Spoilered for sad and quite rambly.

Spoiler:
Kitty is down for the count. She ordered me (don't ask how I know) to not give her any more fentanyl (heroin-like pain med) last night, so I mostly stopped it except for one dose just before I left for work today. It probably lasted until an hour or two before I got home.

When I got home, she was ready for doing things. She wanted into the bathtub so she could play with drips from the faucet. She did that for probably 20 minutes, way longer than she'd done before.

She wanted catnip, so I gave her a good-sized dose at her sniff-and-scratch station. She spent much longer there than usual, really cuddling up to the cardboard scratchy thing she loves.

She wanted onto my lap when I sat at the computer, then spent longer than usual licking all different parts of herself (for once, I didn't stop her from licking her trouble spots). She was totally ready to spend ages on my lap, but my legs started to give out (she's on my crossed legs), so I had to kick her off after a longish while.

I'd turned the fireplace on and (unusually) put a chair in front of it for me. She saw me sit there, thought about asking for my lap, then decided on camping on her long-neglected cushion in front of the fire instead. We sat there for a while until I decided to make up her lamb treat that had been defrosting.

One treat of a teaspoon or two of barely-browned ground lamb, just out of the pan, with some cool water. I usually save the second tsp-or-two for the next day, but she wanted more, so I gave her the rest. Then some cream, which I usually don't let her have because it makes her itch and lick her trouble spots. She was obviously enjoying herself immensely, though it was through her pain.

Some cuddle time on the bed. One last long wander through the hallway on our floor, around the far end where she hasn't been for a long time, with me waiting as usual in our doorway so she could come running back home when she wanted to. And finally, a request for the pain medication.

I think she's ready to go. I think she knows what's going on, and that I have the ability to do what she wants. I called the vet's office this morning to get some options -- we can go in sometime Friday afternoon or Saturday, afternoon or evening. They're closed on Sunday and Monday, so I hope we're ready before then. I don't want a complete stranger to do this. I want our own vet, the woman with the cat-print surgical gown and the weakness for taking needy kitties home. I want to take Maisy there in her carry-box, on foot, the longish route around the block so she doesn't have to be scared by traffic noises. Our vet is the only one I can get to on foot while carrying her.

I want Maisy to be perfectly at peace until then. I want to know, really know, that it's the right time, and to not be wracked by doubt and guilt. I know she will want me there with her when she goes. I want her to be on my lap, and I want to be looking in her eyes. I want to get through this, with my memories of her intact and joyful, knowing that even with all the mistakes I made, I always did the best I could for her.

Mostly, I want this to not be happening. I want to wake up tomorrow to the idea that this was all a bad dream, and that Maisy is young and healthy and happy again. I can't have that, though, so I'll take the next best thing: life goes on. I will remember my kitty with love and sadness, and that sadness will decrease over time. One day, I might be ready to bring another little set of paws into my life. I won't rush it. Life will bring that to me when both I and the paws are ready.

2010_maisy_drink.jpg
2010_maisy_drink.jpg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 3499 times

2010_maisy_snooze.jpg
2010_maisy_snooze.jpg (36.07 KiB) Viewed 3499 times

maisy_puzzled.png
maisy_puzzled.png (201.27 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:18 am UTC

*massive hugs for poxic*

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Maisy is lucky to have you.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Return to “General”