[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby poxic » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:33 am UTC

Backpack. I don't carry a purse or bag anymore, if I can help it. Everything goes into the gorram backpack.

It's a straps-held-on-with-safety-pins six-year-old Nike thingummy, with an awesome little pouch on one strap right in front of your left shoulder that I use to hold my keys. Could hold a cell phone, too. When this thing finally falls apart for good, I want another one just like it.

Couldn't find a Googlepic of it, probably because of its age. (And because my patience ran out after the fourth page of results from the third set of search terms.) I bought it because I was starting to have neck and shoulder problems, apparently caused by carrying a heavy bag on the same shoulder for 25 years combined with a minor-ish traffic accident 20 years ago. (Getting old is ASS. Have I mentioned that yet?)
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:59 am UTC

Man, I'm the opposite of everyone. I only like putting small things in my pockets (ie keys, chapstick). When I stuff my pants full of things I feel...lumpy. When I go to work or school I use a backpack. When I'm off causing a ruckus, I use a large purse of some sort.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:05 am UTC

To everyone upset/angry/disgusted at the tone/contents of the thread in N&A, this article is one of the best that I've seen in a long time. Details under spoiler.
Spoiler:
It's by Ta-Nehsi Coates, from the Atlantic, and without being condescending or self-righteous (all too common, I find, in articles written by men) sums up his position as someone who is staunchly pro-choice while also being pro-life. Like PictureSarah said.

Edit: Tag fail. Thanks, Felltir!
Last edited by semicharmed on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:12 am UTC

semicharmed wrote:To everyone upset/angry/disgusted at the tone/contents of the thread in N&A, this [url="http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/02/on-labor/70976/"]article[/url] is one of the best that I've seen in a long time. Details under spoiler.
Spoiler:
It's by Ta-Nehsi Coates, from the Atlantic, and without being condescending or self-righteous (all too common, I find, in articles written by men) sums up his position as someone who is staunchly pro-choice while also being pro-life. Like PictureSarah said.

This here is some serious tag fail. (edited to fix the spolier)
Last edited by felltir on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:27 am UTC

While N&A isn't a safespace, just a reminder that if you see something written that you think might violate the rules in that abortion thread (or anywhere else) please report it. That thread moves so fast it's hard for us to keep up with it and I don't want people to feel uncomfortable being there.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

Yes, please do--all of the threads in N&A move very quickly, when I catch things I deal with them but a lot of the time I rely on reports.
Rice Puddin.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:46 am UTC

I've started a blog so that everyone in my life is on the same page through the whole cancer thing. http://thegoodhodgkins.wordpress.com/

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:01 am UTC

Dear Eyeball of stupidity:

I DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT appreciate the living hell you are putting me through right now... it sucks :( As of right now, I am still undiagonsed and am waiting for a call back from an eye dr. that I called to get a second opinion. This is not helped by the fact that I look like a pirate and have zero depth perception. I keep nearly falling down staircases, walking into bushes, and crashing into doorframes. I am relearning how to do basic tasks so I can function without completely looking like a klutz.

On the bright side, I got help from disabilities services. sooo happy :D
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

existential_squirrrel wrote:On the bright side, I got help from disabilities services. sooo happy :D

That's brilliant! :) The other stuff sounds awful and I send you hugs, but at least that went well.

On an entirely unrelated note: I should remember to buy bras that you can take the straps off of so I don't keep ruining bras by putting the straps in the dryer and have them go curly. Any tips for this anyone?
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Try using a lingerie bag. Sometimes that helps. It really depends on the material used in the straps.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:28 am UTC

Stop putting them in the dryer. Just don't do it. It ruins the shape of them which therefore ruins the whole point of wearing them for support.

When I wash mine I just put them in a lingerie bag and then hang them up over the shower rail or a coat hanger and hang it somewhere where it will get enough air/heat to dry.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 am UTC

the straps it is seriously just a material problem, personally i mostly just deal with it. as for the dryer making them mis-shapen, jmrz, do you mean the cups and not the straps? also, with the cups, that only applies to ones with wires, right?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:18 am UTC

I don't remember anymore whether the cups specifically get out of shape when run through the dryer. I just remember learning not to do that at some point, and now I hang them all to air dry.

(I found a wooden drying rack for cheap somewhere a while ago. All my undies, bras, socks and sweaters now dry on that. Most other things I put on hangers and stick on the shower curtain rod. Jeans and other heavy things still go in the dryer. It's cheaper and involves less wear-and-tear on the clothes. A bit more ironing in some cases, but I'm gradually working out the balance between hot drying, cold drying [no-heat dryer cycle], and air drying.)
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:48 am UTC

*That's* what I keep forgetting to get when I'm at the store... I lost my old lingerie bag and I keep thinking I should buy a new one, but then every time I'm at a place that would actually sell them, I forget.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:19 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:the straps it is seriously just a material problem, personally i mostly just deal with it. as for the dryer making them mis-shapen, jmrz, do you mean the cups and not the straps? also, with the cups, that only applies to ones with wires, right?

Any kind of bra with a cup that still has a shape sans boobs will get misshapen in the dryer. Underwires with fabric cups are usually okay, though. It's the material in the cup & straps, not the underwire. Usually. I haven't dried a bra in a long time, not since I destroyed two of my favourites in the dryer.

Edit: word-order fail.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:38 am UTC

I've said this before but I'm a huge fan of washing my bra whilst I'm wearing it in the shower and then air drying it. Mainly because bras are expensive and I am poor and so need to stretch their life as much as I can.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

I didn't realise the cups would get misshapen as well, but it makes sense.
Thanks, I will both buy a lingerie bag and start air drying them, should have thought of it before really.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:08 pm UTC

As someone who is very lazy about laundry, How much does a lingerie bag actually help? The main thing I've seen them do is give my bra hooks more places to get caught. That's the main problem I've had, the hooks get caught and tangled and wind up all bent out of shape. The cups probably aren't as sturdy as they used to be, but I guess that doesn't really bother me. Some of them are probably over padded to begin with (or rather... 2 because I only have about 4 that I can wear). Some people take issue with that, but I just see it as a short cut to actually getting the shape and size right.
poxic wrote:Backpack. I don't carry a purse or bag anymore, if I can help it. Everything goes into the gorram backpack.
Backpacks are pretty great and convenient. Even though Lately I haven't been carrying enough stuff with me to make it worthwhile, and.. I kinda wish it was classier to lug around and shove full of groceries and other purchases.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

I hate how often I destroy bras accidentally. Not even destroy-beyond-wear but the even worse destroy-so-still-wearable-but-not-boob-looking-optimally since I'm too cheap to just toss them. For me, the clasps tend to be the thing that gets caught in the wash and then bent all out of shape.

Effing boobs and my need for support!

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

I wear padded bras all the time, especially during the winter. My boobs have gotten used to the extra layer of insulation they provide, and don't like normal bras when I go outside in the cold, even if I'm bundled up properly otherwise. Also, I'm only a B cup to begin with so I don't think they make me look too large.

Edit: I think I feel too sexy if the bra isn't padded. Like I'm wearing something considered more "lounge wear" or something. But the truth is (we need a fun euphemism for boobs) my boobs don't need all that much support.

Hey, so has anyone ever put their boobs in cold water to make 'em perkier? I remember watching Persepolis, a movie based off a graphic novel about an Iranian and her childhood and adolescence growing up during the revolution (you should also consume this media that I just mentioned, it's great) and there's a part where her grandmother tells her the reason her boobs haven't gotten saggy is because she soaks them in ice water. And then I think I read about it again in one of those "Women's Interest" magazines.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

charolastra wrote:I hate how often I destroy bras accidentally. Not even destroy-beyond-wear but the even worse destroy-so-still-wearable-but-not-boob-looking-optimally since I'm too cheap to just toss them. For me, the clasps tend to be the thing that gets caught in the wash and then bent all out of shape.

Effing boobs and my need for support!

Effing boobs indeed. I would love to be spared the expense and hassle of bras, but I really am more comfortable with a bra on. And I find underwires more comfortable than sports bras. I'm a Dish, though, and I obviously haven't been soaking in enough ice water. "Perky" is not a word that describes my breasts.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

Ha! It sounds horrible though, doesn't it? Some sort of tortuous thing that women go through for "beauty". I tried it once though, when I was PMSing and had sore breasts, and it felt pretty good, honestly. Just the coldest water that comes out of the tap though, I didn't put ice in it.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:15 am UTC

I wash my bras in the shower. I figure that if the soap is getting me clean and still gentle enough for skin, my bra can handle it. I don't know if this'll extend the lifespan of my bras notably, because I just replaced all of them. If I don't suddenly drop or gain a cup size, I'll see how long this set of bras lasts me.
Is anyone else so picky about their bra that when you find a style you like, you buy several and wear them almost exclusively?

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:39 am UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:Is anyone else so picky about their bra that when you find a style you like, you buy several and wear them almost exclusively?
Yes. I wear the "favorite t-shirt bra" from Gap Body almost exclusively. It has full coverage which is really important for me (I just pop out of anything else, I don't get demis at all), and they have lace ones and different colors, and it's on sale pretty often.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:56 am UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:Is anyone else so picky about their bra that when you find a style you like, you buy several and wear them almost exclusively?

I'm at the point where I'm just happy when I find a bra that fits. They don't normally carry my size, so I'll find maybe 2 at a store at a time, and then they tend to be a bit more pricey because the only brands that carry the size are the more expensive ones...

I avoid bra shopping. :(
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:28 am UTC

Oh, ye gods, yes. My senior year at university, I finally, finally found a style of bra that fit in such a way that I could go a whole day without readjusting the girls.

And because they were buy 2, get 1 at Macy's, my mother got me 6 as a Christmas present. Which because the bras were so awesome, didn't even lead to an "aww, man, underwear for Christmas!" moment. And then last year it was repeated, since I knew I'd be leaving for the Peace Corps and wanted bras that would have a chance of lasting two years.

But i've lost enough weight here that it's started coming off the boobs too, and now they don't fit as well. But slightly too big is better than slightly too small, and I really don't want to have to go bra shopping at the bazaar here. Everything is lacy and frilly and adorned, and demi cups. Which I pop out of.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:15 am UTC

I hand wash/air dry my bras--they last a lot longer that way, particularly those with an underwire or a shaped cup. I use Soak, you put a capfull of this stuff into a wash tub/sink basin with your delicates, let it soak, remove (don't rinse, press out water but don't wring) and hang to dry.

Takes very good care of my bras, haven't had a bra underwire pop out since I started using the stuff (though it coincided with my wearing properly sized bras which was part of the problem).
Rice Puddin.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

If you hook the bra closed before you put it in the machine, then it doesn't get stuck on the machine or on other clothes. I put mine through the machine in cold water and hang-dry them.
Ever hear of the pencil test? You stick a pencil under your boob, and if it stays there, you pass. It was how to tell if you were big enough to need a bra. Very popular with 7th and 8th graders in my town.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

I'd fail the pencil test with flying colors. But I wear bras anyway because nipples drive men out of their minds with lust, oh noes.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

Yeah, there is no way I am holding up a pencil. However, my friendly friendly nipples require bras so I can actually make eye contact from time to time.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

I think I'm doing it wrong.

Spoiler:
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

That would be the E+ test.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

One day I'll try the pencil trick.

Edit because I want to post and I'm the last poster:
I just read this blog entry, and wanted to show you all. Because I <3 fat acceptance.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Oh ye gods yes.

I have... ample bosom, I'll say, and having found something that supports well, doesn't hurt, doesn't tend to have underwire break often and try to assassinate me, *and* is plunged enough that I can wear low cut tops with it, I have now bought like... seriously thirty of these bras? Something ridiculous.

But seriously, not having to stop and think, "oh, do I have a bra I can wear with this shirt so that no one will see it?" is such a pain in the arse. Or worse yet, not having that thought and leaving the house, then realising I did not choose well.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

Do you mind sharing the brand/style of said bra? As another ample-bosomed lady who would like to wear low-cut shirts sometimes, I could use this information. My issue is that unlined bras almost never work with low-cut shirts, but the molded cups never seem to fit right. Either they're too big, or my cup runneth over and I have quadro-boob. :(
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

i always buy the same brand of panties, but not bras. i have a similar fit problem in that region, and get really excited over panties that my ass won't eat by the end of the day.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Oh ye gods, the horrors of quadro-boob and its opposite issue of the weird too-much-fabric cup.

Yeah - the ones I've been getting are from Cacique, who are owned by Lane Bryant, so not a one size fits all solution (but then what is?). The website is describing them as "smooth plunge bra." They have a bunch of colours and patterns within that sort of general area.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:10 am UTC

Sandry I need the link too I hate not being able to wear lower stuff!
And what do you do if you want to wear a tank top? The larger bras always have such thick straps that are so ugly with tanks...

spoilered if tmi?
Spoiler:
with all this capi and caving I'm losing diameter on me. I was a 36E and had to get 38DD since I couldn't find any 36E's but the 38's are def way too big but boobs are the same so technically by measurements now I'm a freakin' 34F. Where the hell am I supposed to find that? Right now I'm just using my current ones and stitching the bands narrower as needed since the cup part fits correctly still
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:49 am UTC

For a good plunge bra I always look for Freya or Fantasie--they are UK brands and my absolute favourite. I wear a 34G usually and I find they are supportive even in the plunge and low cut styles--no double boob and usually nice comfy shoulder straps.
Rice Puddin.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

Trigger alert.
Spoiler:
I opened up the student political/radical blog at the university I attended and now work at to find this comparison of slaughtering an animal for food to a gang rape. After writing a frantic response, I burst into tears in my very open cube. Eff people.

http://innermostparts.org/2011/02/15/on ... ment-20420

Return to “General”