[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hope_

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Hope_ » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:42 pm UTC

I'm also 19 and I've been on the pill since I was 16. It's called microgynon and just was the sort of default one doctors put women on. I think it's really good, I didn't have any weight gain or mood swings going on it and my periods are regular now, which is nice. Before I never knew when I was going to be having one.
My periods have been generally ok, still hurt but not too bad and last about 4 days. They've got heavier recently but that could be any number of other factors (I recently moved to a different country for example, not sure what effect that would have but some probably).
Also I'm able to run up to three packs together, so skip two periods at a time without adverse effects (I don't get spotting or anything). I've been told not more than three packs at a time and usually only skip the one period and only if it conincides with something ie. the trip I'm going on this week or the chance of sexy time.

The thing about the pill is when I'm at home I remember to take it perfectly. Over here when there is no chance of sex (no boyfriend over here) I've been being forgetful about it. So if you are a naturally forgetful person and don't have that drive to take it everyday it might not be the best method for you.

But as everyone has said it entirly depends on you and your body, what's best for you.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

On BC:
Spoiler:
I have the Mirena too and the only downsides are the insertion (mine caused 2 days of cramping worse than my periods, plus nausea and dizziness, but people's experiences vary hugely on this) and the risk of expulsion (if your body rejects it and it comes out, and you paid all that money for nothing). However, the insertion pain was 2 days of sad for 5 years of awesome, and the risk of expulsion is quite low, so to me, the benefits greatly outweigh the downsides.

I wanted the patch when I originally began looking for BC, but my doctor argued against it saying it's very high-dose, and has a higher risk of blood clots than the pill. She advised me to use Nuvaring instead, which has similar benefits to the patch but better-- you only have to change it once a month rather than once a week, and it's got a much lower dose of hormones. It does go in your vagina though, meaning you need to be comfortable enough with yourself to insert it. It could be annoying during sex (though I never had a problem with it). Most of the reason I switched off it was because it was lowering my sex drive a bit and causing a lot more dryness during sex, a problem that a few people here have had.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:54 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:But as everyone has said it entirly depends on you and your body, what's best for you.
Case in point, microgynon is horrible for me. Awful, awful moodswings. Same with Dianette, with added nausea and it killed my libido. Cerazette seems the best choice for me, even if I have a hard time convincing doctors that really, I'm fine not having periods, honest.

I'm sortof tempted to ask about having an implant fitted next time I see a doctor, but I'm quite worried about side-effects, especially as it's inside of me, rather than something I can stop taking if the worst comes to the worst.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

One thing I think that made insertion of my IUD much better than perhaps others around here (I had cramping for a few hours, but nowhere near as bad as general shark week cramping) was that I got lidocaine to relax my cervix. I'm not sure anyone else here had that for their IUD insertion? Anyway, it was, I think, what made it so eventless for me. And it's exactly why my gyno used it - it basically relaxes everything so no cramping so no pain. Yes, it is injected, but you don't have pain sensing neurons there so it doesn't hurt. I remember getting that slight "ick cramp wha?" feeling when they did a pap smear - it felt like that for the first injection (she did 3 in various spots) and the subsequent 2 I didn't feel at all. And it made the whole insertion painless and crampless and like I said I didn't really have any troubles after, either.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

I got a pain-relieving injection (not sure if it was lidocaine exactly), and the insertion itself didn't hurt at all. The cramping started an hour or two after the insertion, and the nausea and dizziness was immediate. I had to lay down at the medical center for 45 minutes afterward before the dizziness had gone away enough for me to stand, and when I left I had to take a cab home and almost threw up during the ride.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

I was given an oral anti-cramping medication aber 15 minutes before the insertion of my IUD, as well as another one to take before going to sleep (my insertion was at half past 5 in the afternoon). I had minor pain during the insertion, similar to what it feels to stretch a muscle after exercise. The next two or three days I had some kind of strange feeling in the area, not really pain and not something I've felt before or after. I got a prescription for some more of the anti-cramp stuff and some anti-anxiety med, but since I had no pain or discomfort I didn't pick it up. Also, not being a totally stable person has me scared I'd get hooked on the anti-anxiety meds, or keeping them in a drawer and taking them when I feel like it even though it could be dangerous.
My periods since then have mostly stayed the same, and they were quite heavy, painful and rare before so I told the doctor "I suppose the pain can't get that much worse and since I hardly ever have a persion anyway I don't care". I had about 10 natural periods since my first because of my PCOS, I had lighter periods on the various pills I've been, and one or two a year when I didn't take anything.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:27 pm UTC

Thank you for sharing your stories! :) I realize it's different for everyone, but I think it's still good to hear stories; that way, I know what might happen. It sounds like even though some people have had a hard time with pills, others haven't, which I find reassuring. I'm thinking that I'll try some sort of pill first, and see how I react. I think I'll probably manage to do it properly, but if not, maybe I'll try the patch instead. I'm not considering IUD because my mom had a pretty hard time with it, and I have a feeling my experience wouldn't be much different (though it sounds like that's been really awesome for a lot of you; maybe I shouldn't be so paranoid). I'm also a little squeamish about anything that involves leaving things in my vagina, so NuvaRing is probably out as well, unless I get over that.
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

I was on microgynon for about a year and a half, I think? It was okay, but did pretty massively decrease my sex drive (I didn't really realise how much until I came off it, mainly because I was in an LDR). I've had my copper IUD for over a year now, and have been really happy with it. The insertion was no issue at all (though I think it went incredibly well, as the doctor said she wished it always went like that), I was just a bit crampy that evening. Shark week is probably a bit longer and heavier than it used to be, but it's still regular (but then I always have been) and very manageable. I love having the peace of mind of knowing I don't have to worry for 10 (well, 9 now) years, and not having to do anything (I was never particularly amazing at remembering my pill).
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

Hi Woman Thread! (I'm usually a lurker, but I come to you for advice!)

I wanted to ask you what you think of this situation:
My boyfriend's brother is getting married and wants to know if I will be coming to the wedding. The wedding is during the school year and I'll have to take a day off of classes. While that will put me behind, it won't be suicide. My boyfriend attends the same college I do so we'd be driving together (The wedding's about 9 hours away from our school). The logistics are doable for me if a bit inconvenient.

The thing is, I've never met his brother or his fiancée. We've been dating for 2.5 years, but his brother lives in Texas and I'm currently going to school in Michigan. I've only met his parents twice - once for a week visit, and once for a weekend - as they live in Florida. I have not met the rest of his family. My boyfriend says it wouldn't be weird if I was to attend (no one in his immediate family would think 'who the hell is she?!') but I'm not positive if he's right.

So what would you do in this situation? I know weddings are kind of a touchy thing and emotions run high. I fully intend to continue dating my boyfriend for many years to come, so I really, really don't want to insult his family in any way.

TL;DR: Should I go to the wedding of my boyfriend's brother when I have not met his brother?

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

From what I understand, people are often expected to bring "dates" to weddings, especially if they are long-term significant others. Especially since you are planning to be with him for a long time, and therefore be a part of their family, I would say yes, you should go to the wedding. (Or at least, no, it won't be weird if you do want to go). Plus, it sounds like it was the brother who asked if you were coming? I would take that as a sign that he wants you there. I guess I can only speak for my family, but I think they would want you go come in this type of situation.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

The first time I met my fiancee's family was at his sister's wedding. It was a little overwhelming for me because it was SO MUCH FAMILY all at once, but everyone was very welcoming. We had been dating for a couple years at that point. His family knew about me, knew I was a significant person in his life, and therefore I was considered part of the family too. It sounds like your boyfriend's family has a similar mentality. You should go to the wedding and have a great time!
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Weddings can be really fun. :) Since you aren't an immediate family member, there shouldn't be much in the way of strict expectations or responsibilities directed towards you, so I'd say go, meet people, and enjoy it. :)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

I agree with the others, it sounds like your boyfriend's brother wants you to be there, so if you can take the time off, go for it!

Entirely unrelated: http://ofanotherfashion.tumblr.com/ is cool/interesting, the site describes itself as an alternative archive of the not-quite-hidden but too often ignored fashion histories of U.S. women of color.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

I think it's pretty normal for weddings to be a 'plus one' scenario unless otherwise stated. If they've made it clear that you're welcome, it shouldn't be a problem.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:26 pm UTC

I would go. While not a wedding, my cousin brought her serious bf to our family's reunion. He was super cool. Cousin, him, me, her brother, and her mom, the five of us ended up hanging out a lot and got bored one afternoon and went geocaching around Purdue. (oh wow lots of geocaches in that area!)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:21 am UTC

Yup I'd put in another vote for attending if you're OK with it.

If the brother wants to know if you're coming, that sounds like an invite from him - suggesting he wants you there or is at least happy to have you there! You've been with your boy for 2 1/2 years which is quite a while really, and even if you haven't met much of his family, his parents have quite possibly mentioned you to a number of them.

It's a good way to meet more of his family in a fun environment, and become more involved with them. Plus, as all the excitement and hussle will be directed at the wedding, you're probably not going to have to suffer so much inqusition as if it were a trip specifically for them to meet you for the first time.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:28 am UTC

Thanks for all the help! I talked briefly to my mom as well and she said it would be pretty normal too. I've never gone to a wedding (aunts and uncles already married when I was born, no cousins or friends have gotten married yet) so I'm really uncertain about the whole etiquette around it.

I'm not positive if his brother asked - it was relayed several times. But, I think that his brother's fiancée asked his parents who asked him who asked me. (Whew!) My guess is they're working out logistic stuff with families now. My boyfriend will be visiting me in a couple days, so I'll probably talk a bit more with him then - particularly if he minds me being his shadow for the day.

Providing I can cling my boyfriend, I think I'll go. I'm not sure if he's in the wedding party, but if he is, I'll have to see if I'd still be comfortable. (I'm not great with large social situations) I guess this means I actually have to find something besides jeans to wear :)

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:57 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:I guess this means I actually have to find something besides jeans to wear :)

But at least least means you get to spend the day with you boyfriend in a suit! (Sorry that would be a pull for me). I completely see why you're nervous, but see it as being efficant. You have to meet his family at some point, might as well get it out the way and at an event where most of the attention will not be on you. Small talk should be ok as well, you can comment on dress, or decorations, or place etc. Good luck!
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:44 am UTC

hello womanthread, some may remember me from a loooooong time ago, and I finally have some more time to browse the internet as I've just started a new job. I will be lurking here again.

*waves to everyone she knows, and doesn't know*

[edit] awesome, my 1000th post
This too shall pass

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

*wave* Yay for internet time!

I vividly remember staring at your avatar for, like, 15 minutes when I first browse the xkcd fora. It's so cute and licky and pink. o.O
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

hahaha yes I've had that comment before. my ava is indeed awesome :mrgreen: thanks!
This too shall pass

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

Welcome back, and congrats on new job!
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I still don't know what's up, medical-wise.
My EKG was clean. Ish. Heart rate was reaching 160 over intervals where I was walking around, which is higher than it should be. But otherwise good. No abnormal heart sounds - means it's probably not mitral valve prolapse -, no arrythmias.
But there were abnormalities in my EEG. The thing where you strap electrodes on your head and they try to induce seizures.I didn't seize, but there were irregularities in the background radiation. Or something.
So I went for an MRI. And I seem to have cysts in my sinuses - probably totally benign - annnd enlarged ventricles Or whatever the proper name is for the places where cerebral fluid hangs out.
And at this point, everything in my file is sent to Washington. Where the Medical office passes it off to a neurologist, and I wait. And worry. And try not to be worried - because they've ruled out the two things they were mega-worried about. Seizures and heart abnormalities.
At least I'm back home, and not cooling my heels in the office in Kyiv. Tomorrow is a big Ukrainian holiday, so earliest I'll hear from the Drs in Kyiv is Wednesday. But I feel like I'm in limbo. I don't know what's going on, I still have no answers, and everything is out of my control. :?

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

semicharmed wrote:stuff

*lots of hugs*

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

Welcome back Artisima! I remember you!

And *hugs* for semicharmed. They are running similar tests on me right now to find out why I'm blacking out. Except they found same as before (right bundle branch block, mitral and tricuspid valve prolapse, abnormally narrow pulmonic valve...same as always). But I haven't blacked out in a week so hoping it's still just bad reaction to the tetanus shot. It's annoying not having a definite answer though, for sure. I hope you get answers, too.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm UTC

thanks! wow I am amazed at how many remember me :mrgreen: must've read the whole woman thread as I've participated heavily for a while. This is my favourite thread, honestly.

@semicharmed: it's horrible not to know what's wrong with your body. But great that it's not the worst as feared. Now you can settle down and wait for final results. And ask for hugs as you deserve and need them *hug*
This too shall pass

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:12 am UTC

*Jumping on the I remember you bandwagon* Bandwagon Awaaayyyyyyyyy!
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:43 am UTC

Come ask me questions in the member interview forums! ^_^ Moooar questions!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:28 am UTC

I have fun/happy news.
Spoiler:
I ordered a corset :shock: :D

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:51 am UTC

Woo!
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:05 am UTC

Aightynine wrote: I'm thinking that I'll try some sort of pill first, and see how I react. I think I'll probably manage to do it properly, but if not, maybe I'll try the patch instead

I've been on the pill for about three/four years now? I find that if you have trouble remembering to take things, make it part of your routine. I leave mine on my bedside table, so when I am getting ready for bed and I take my glasses off and get into bed, it is RIGHT THERE and I cannot possibly miss seeing it. Alternatively, if you are more of a morning routine person, put it in your bathroom with your toothbrush or something. Keep it somewhere obvious and where you can see it so that when you are doing your thing you remember to take it.

My mother's advice was "just think of the consequences of NOT taking it and you'll get used to it really quickly". That was definitely a huge motivating factor for me.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:33 am UTC

Sungura wrote:I have fun/happy news.
Spoiler:

Obligatory pics or it didn't happen.

I can imagine you
Spoiler:
looking truly stunning in a corset :shock: :P
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:
Sungura wrote:I have fun/happy news.
Spoiler:

Obligatory pics or it didn't happen.

I can imagine you
Spoiler:
looking truly stunning in a corset :shock: :P

Pics will come when it arrives. I ordered it =) Never heard of the site before, so I hope it's good. Steel boning and modesty panel and the construction seems good, only $70 no shipping costs. https://www.corsetwholesale.com/ they have 3 for $150 deal all the time even...might go in with a friend on that deal if I like this one and it seems good. =) Figured would never find actual steel boned corsets for $70, much less basically $50 each 0.o so yeah. I'm excited! Decided to risk ordering one :)

edit: i got this one in black/green https://www.corsetwholesale.com/product ... hp?pid=194

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

corsets are very feminine. They also make it barely possible to breathe.

Hope you like yours!
This too shall pass

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:49 pm UTC

I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

I've never had a corset but they are uber pretty so I've wanted one for a long time =) the real ones have just always been really expensive, this is the first time I have found actual steel boned ones that i like in more of my price range =)

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:59 am UTC

they're really pricey aren't they!!

I have one proper one, of denim fabric with a zipper. But since my move to England I haven't worn it as I gained a stone and not being able to zip the thing up anymore without adjusting the strings on the back was depressing.

I should really get over that and adjust it to the new me, though, I'm still pretty :mrgreen:
This too shall pass

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

=)

I had a bad time this morning. I have lost about an inch off my waist the past few months and my pants are falling down. Good, right? I need some jeans, had coupon (30% off) and lots of sales at the store. So I go, expecting to find the same pants as last year just get them a size smaller!

...no. The cut was changed. I tried on every jean every cut (except skinny jeans, I don't like those) they had. The only sizes I could get *on* were a size *bigger* than what I'm currently in, and of course, at that point, there was nothing holding them up and they looked like crap.

I found the same style shirts I really loved last year, they had new colors, I thought, at least I will get shirts, shirts usually are easier to fit!

...no. They changed the cut. The same size was too tight and pulling open at my boobs. I went up a size. I was swimming in a baggy shirt that barey fit my boobs but did nothing for my body shape other than I may as well wear a garbage bag for a top.

So apparently, the fact that I am *more* curvy now that my waist lost but not boobs or butt, is making it even *harder* to find clothes.

I'm pretty depressed about this right now. I just want to cry. I feel worse about my body than I have in a long time.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

No, you're fabulous. It's the mass manufacture industry that's failed you here. Have you tried going to other stores? Lots of coupons on Facebook and the like.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

I've tried other stores...usually i find clothes at Kohls (that is where I was) I have tried Pennys and LandsEnd (used to be able to order jeans that worked, not anymore), old navy....I dunno where else to look. Someone told me to try gap, but last time I went into the local gap it was all junior sizes and I felt weird having to go to the plus size dept to get normal women's sizes so I didn't like that and won't go back. That was like 2 yrs ago, maybe they've changed? Also, I don't have $70 to spend on ONE pair of jeans. Outside my budget.

Return to “General”