[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:03 am UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:Considering how hard I have to restrain myself from slapping Hasidim whenever I encounter them, I'd have to say that's a rather measured and reasonable response.

Seriously. Next idiot in a stupid hat to tell me I'm not a real Jew gets a solid kick to the nuts. Or a pork chop to the face. Whichever's more satisfying.

:shock: That's never been my experience of Hasidic Jews. I know there's a different culture of Judaism depending on your region, levels of religiosity, local media and such, but that's really surprising to me, to the extent that I had to reread the sentence and go, "Hasidim, are you sure?" Of course, I grew up with Chabad Hasidim, a group that's very passionate about kindness, outreach and nonjudgment. They're usually the ones handing out candles on Friday nights and matzah on Passover eve. I do know of other groups of Hasidim that have some pretty exclusionary attitudes toward people who don't do exactly what they believe, but honestly, I would hate for any of my Hasidic friends to be judged based on the actions of those groups.

It can be hard dealing with the interplay of bad experiences with religious people or precepts and Jewish identity. There's a weird mental disconnect, because on the one hand, I want to support people who have felt victimised or insulted by aspects of religion, because yes, some people are assholes about religion, and in some cases there is assholery woven into the fabric of the religion itself. But on the other hand, I'm a Jew (even though I'm agnostic, Jewish culture and history is still meaningful to me, and Jewish religion was instrumental in forming my ethical system even though I frequently disagree with Jewish teachings on morality), some of my closest childhood friends are very religious, and I don't like it when good people get tarred with the brush of crappy people.

One of my favourite high school teachers was a Chasidic rabbi, and he knows all about my attitudes to the world (because the community gossips), knows my boyfriend isn't Jewish, and still treats me with respect and camaraderie. And the idea of someone hitting him in the face with a pork chop because of their crappy experiences with orthodoxy makes me really upset and kind of furious. I can understand wanting to criticise religion or a certain kind of religious person who tries to force their views on you and judges you unfairly, especially as someone who frequently used to criticise it from the inside (when people were trying to convince me I needed to live by the halachic laws, or gave bullshit reasoning for certain principles), much to the chagrin of my religious education teachers. But I felt like that comment went kind of beyond the pale, especially since I know we have religious and/or practicing Jews right here on this very board who are perfectly lovely.

So yeah, could we maybe not do that?
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:23 am UTC

If you have Hasids who would be willing to teach in a school that is not exclusively Hasidic, you are dealing with a very different community or flavor of Hasidism than is common round NY. Which may both be different again once over from the groups near VA and Zohar.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:26 am UTC

So quick question/matter of potential opinion - I've always felt that when the pants make the ass crack when you sit or bend, it's because the pants don't fit properly. Lowrise or not, ass crack occurs because of hip to waist ratios being different than the designer intended, or otherwise having the wrong size pants on. Correct or not?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:28 am UTC

People with whom we disagree act like dicks to a person with whom we agree due to an issue on which neither side can agree. In retaliation, the person with whom we agree acts like a dick to the peope with whom we disagree. Naturally, we side with the person with whom we agree, not because that person's actions were justified, but because we agree with their politics.

I trust you all supported International Draw Muhhamad Day
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:34 am UTC

doogly wrote:If you have Hasids who would be willing to teach in a school that is not exclusively Hasidic, you are dealing with a very different community or flavor of Hasidism than is common round NY. Which may both be different again once over from the groups near VA and Zohar.

Once again, it does depend on the flavour of Hasid - I've met a fair share of NY Hasids who migrated over here and are lovely people, and spent time in Israeli Hasidic communities and some of them are also lovely people (though some of them are awful, like the people on that bus). There is terribleness over in those communities - I personally found them stifling and couldn't leave fast enough, and whenever I'm in a position to challenge something they do wrong I'm so there, because the issue is personally meaningful to me and I don't like it when my people hurt others - but I still don't want to see the Good HasidimTM tarred with their brush, and the thing is, they do all dress alike, and there is no way to distinguish a good'un from a mean'un.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:26 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:Lowrise or not, ass crack occurs because of hip to waist ratios being different than the designer intended
this is correct.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:27 am UTC

I sincerely apologize for insulting your friends and for generalizing to that degree. I should know better.

Unfortunately I have had some very nasty experiences with the orthodoxy and the Hasidim as have many of my family. I try to be open minded but it has become difficult to lose the sense of suspicion when I encounter people of certain sects. This of course does not meant that all Hasidim or those in the ultra-orthodox are bad people, disrespectful or cruel. It is extremely unfortunate that my personal experience and that of my Mom's doesn't reflect that and I do hope to get over that prejudice. It's going to take some work but I am making every effort and looking at what I wrote I am rather shocked that I fell back to that degree. I will do my best to moderate myself far better in the future.

Once again: I am very sorry for being so offensive.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:59 am UTC

It's ok, and totally understandable - I've felt that enormous frustration too, and when it comes from person after person from the same community, it's so hard not to get resentful and angry at the whole group, since anger at the individuals and their attitudes is so justified, and also often really comforting and healing. It's why I don't spend much time around the community as a whole, and only pick and choose the people who I don't feel are constantly judging me. Back when I was stuck inside the community with no choice in the degree to which I had to follow their dress and conduct rules, or listen to the more unbalanced theories of morality, I had a helluva lot of anger, so I absolutely get where you're coming from - and that was in a relatively relaxed religious community. I never had to live in Bnei Brak or Meah Sha'arim, or even Boro Park.

So, er, hugs?

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:02 am UTC

Yay hugs!
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:50 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:There is terribleness over in those communities - I personally found them stifling and couldn't leave fast enough, and whenever I'm in a position to challenge something they do wrong I'm so there, because the issue is personally meaningful to me and I don't like it when my people hurt others - but I still don't want to see the Good HasidimTM tarred with their brush, and the thing is, they do all dress alike, and there is no way to distinguish a good'un from a mean'un.

I think a good start to distinguish a good'un from a mean'un is when they insult people (strangers or not) for not conforming to their rules. That counts for religious nutjobs people just as for people of non-religious ideologies.

I guess I can relate to both sides here, it's not nice to be called offensive just because some people of your community are, but I find it majorly crazy to be insulted for not following a religion "properly". It pisses me off when some guys think they can talk shit to me because I wear pants and don't cover my hair, or some girls who do that call me slut, but I'm proud that women have fought for their rights to be equal to males and I *will* keep fighting even if it pisses off certain religious people. I guess some of those men just grew up seeing women as "lesser" and never thought about it, and some thought about it and use religion as an excuse to be dicks, but both get on my nerves.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:58 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:the thing is, they do all dress alike, and there is no way to distinguish a good'un from a mean'un.

It's almost like they're people too. Huh.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

V_A was specifying pork chops to people who were 1) perceptibly idiots and 2) lecturing her on not being a real Jew. Nothing about pork chops to non-exclusionary, non-idiotic people.

In other news, Shark Week is coming to an end.

I skipped two months this time and had a lot of anxiety. I wish there was some method of birth control that's less stressful than just condoms and didn't involve stuffing me full of hormones. :(
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

*cough cough coper IUD cough*

Of course, I might be forgetting something about your situation. I just love mine to pieces.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:V_A was specifying pork chops to people who were 1) perceptibly idiots and 2) lecturing her on not being a real Jew. Nothing about pork chops to non-exclusionary, non-idiotic people.

In other news, Shark Week is coming to an end.

I skipped two months this time and had a lot of anxiety. I wish there was some method of birth control that's less stressful than just condoms and didn't involve stuffing me full of hormones. :(

Copper coil? Many many times more reliable than condoms, no hormones at all, slightly stressful during insertion but then you forget about it for five years.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

Hm, I'd forgotten about that. I don't have PCOS or any other complications that I know of, too. I will have to investigate.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Hm, I'd forgotten about that. I don't have PCOS or any other complications that I know of, too. I will have to investigate.

They're honestly brilliant. Not great if you have really heavy periods or whatnot but otherwise fantastic things.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Yea, I am a big fan of mine. No hormones, nothing to do except check the strings once a month or so, and good for 10 years.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

My partner has been looking into birth control again. I think she's going to start the hormonal one if she sees her doctor. What are the pros/cons of hormones over IUD? She did like what the hormones did for her skin, that's for sure, but they probably will cause some weight gain, that she may not be happy about (she just lost some from discontinuing SSRIs, and grieving over family death... and other stress...)

Sorry this probably has been covered, but I usually don't pay attention, as my parts, they be different.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

@pod - another vote here for the copper IUD. Good for 10 years, but the NP at Planned Parenthood told me that 12 is the recommended max. Also, it's changed the distribution of how I bleed - for the first 6-8 months, especially, there were more uterine chunks and all the shedding lining would seem to come in the first 2-3 days. It's been just over a year, though, and there's definitely been less chunks lately. But I still am significantly heavier for day 2&3 than I was before, with less bleeding on 1, 4 & 5. Now there's kind of a long tail of spotting, at least when I'm not having PIV sex. Which for 10 of the past months, I haven't been since the SO is a continent and an ocean away.
I like to think of the IUD as an investment in my baby-free future. Also, getting a DivaCup has been awesome, since they deal with chunks so much better than tampons. The only negative is that my SO can feel the string in certain positions, and he says it can be uncomfortable. Not quite painful, but not pleasant.

@Jessica - I've only ever used the NuvaRing and the copper coil, and everyone's reaction to hormones is different so Y(G)MMV, but I definitely experience side effects while using the ring. No weight gain, and my skin's always been clear except for the occasional period pimple, but my boobs were slightly tender all the time, I was getting a lot less wet during sex of all kinds (and consequently chafed/sore afterward) and my sex drive just tanked. The last one I didn't really grok to until the then-SO and I ended things, and then I realized that I was ohmygod horny. For the first time in a year. Right after a really bad breakup.
So for me, IUD over trying to find the right BC pill - as the ring wasn't an option, and I didn't want to try the patch/shot/implant for the same reasons - was an easy choice.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

I have not had a partner be able to identify the string, but then I have also had vaginal sex with a sea sponge tampon in and no one was the wiser.

My Vagina: Sure, there is room for that?
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:36 pm UTC

The string-feeling was right after it was inserted (well, after the waiting period but as soon as it was okay). He didn't say anything about it the last time sexytimes were had, so maybe it softens after a while? Or at last works its way into less-pokey configurations? I know I sometimes have to feel around more for the string than I did when it was new.

But also, my last partner said he couldn't feel the ring during sex. And that was way more rigid than the IUD string. And from other things you've said about the sea sponge tampons/I've read about them, they're a lot squishier and vag-like than plastic rings and strings..

... and now I'm tempted to buy one as an accompaniment to my divacup. And experiment! For science!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

Jessica - I have the Mirena IUD (the hormone one) and so erm...big post incoming LOL

Insertion: Mine went really well, I have a very small vagina (apparently, the gyno exclaimed in shock so uh...guess she'd know? heh) and a huge fear of things being in there but it went "better than textbook!" according to her. I just tried to relax and breath deeply and calmly seemed to work. Also, she used Lidocane to relax my cervix (I would recommend requesting this if they don't automatically do it) it didn't hurt me at all. It was a bit weird, I could feel things happening but nothing hurt. The next 36 hours I had some "rollarcoastering" cramps - fine for a while then gradually worse then reallybad then relaxed again over and over but even the reallybad was nowhere near what I was used to dealing with during shark week, actually. (say scale of 1-10, 1 being slight twinge 10 being curled up in bed with a heating pad dopped up on meds and cramping so bad you are passing out from the pain, my normal shark week cramps was around 7-10, and this hit maybe a 5 at worst). I've never had kids and never had sex and wasn't even on Shark Week when they had an appointment open and it all still went that smooth. =)

String: yeah check for it once a month. It kinda feels like a really thin fishing line to me? but it's gotten 'softer' over the (wow almost year) that I've had it and there are times I can't feel it

Side effects I've noted:
- basically, none overall, it's local not systemic like a pill, I don't get any crazy mood swings I don't notice really anything different other than a few key things...
- I get acne during shark week now instead of every week but shark week (I know weird eh? it was reverse before the IUD than standard)
- I never used to be able to feel my boobs at *all*. Now, a few days of the month around shark week, just the tips of my nipples will be UBER sensitive, I feel everything, and it's so damn annoying I wish I couldn't feel anything at all like it's been my whole life. I really hate being able to feel my boobs but it's more a few days annoyance I guess.
- Instead of 27 day cycles with 10-14 of those days being shark "week" I now slow bleed for about 36 hrs, spotting a bit for the day before and after. Slow bleed = 1 tampon would last half a day easily. I used to be so heavy I'd have to go to the bathroom every 2-3 hrs to change things no matter what I used, so I love this change!

that's...about it. No weight gain. No mood swinging. Less acne than before. Less bleeding and shorter periods. And a few days of annoying boobs.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Like The Wind

Postby Like The Wind » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

On the topic of mirenas:

I got mine last november and I've been spotting ever since. There's been about two "periods" where the bleeding was significant enough to call it bleeding, the rest of the time it's just brown muck. My uterus just doesn't seem to be calming down.

What's everyone elses experience with this? From what I understood from my gynaecologist, it usually doesn't take this long to get to a more normal rhythm or atleast to get some dry days, but I was hoping someone else out here has experienced something like this.

Right now it still seems much better than the hormone rollercoaster that is the pill, and I'd rather spot a bit all the time than go through the heavy periods I get without any bc. But if it's not gonna get better, well I'm not sure what I'll do then, actually...

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:31 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:My partner has been looking into birth control again. I think she's going to start the hormonal one if she sees her doctor. What are the pros/cons of hormones over IUD? She did like what the hormones did for her skin, that's for sure, but they probably will cause some weight gain, that she may not be happy about (she just lost some from discontinuing SSRIs, and grieving over family death... and other stress...)

Sorry this probably has been covered, but I usually don't pay attention, as my parts, they be different.

If you scroll down this page it has some good basic info: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Contraceptio ... ption.aspx

I've been on the Pill and now I have an IUD. I found the worst side effect of the pill to be mood swings. I have depression anyway and it did make it worse sometimes. I didn't gain weight although my boobs got bigger, and it did help my skin. I'd say if things are difficult mood wise at the moment I'd avoid the pill. I also found it really hard to remember to take the buggering thing, which is why I'm not on it any more.

The IUD is fabulous. It makes your periods a bit heavier and a bit longer but for me it's not been too drastic, to be honest. I basically really like being off hormones for a while, and not having to think about it.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

Thank you for the info!

The longer/heavier periods probably aren't really going to turn her on to them. She's been having really sporadic periods which are very heavy and painful. As in before last month she hadn't had one in 6 months. The real reasons she wants to go on birth control (other than the extremely small chance that during PIV sex with me (a rarity in itself) that she'll get pregnant), is to help regulate her periods. Also, I'm pretty sure that among her many metal allergies, copper is probably one of them.

Damn.

thanks everyone :)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Thank you for the info!

The longer/heavier periods probably aren't really going to turn her on to them. She's been having really sporadic periods which are very heavy and painful. As in before last month she hadn't had one in 6 months. The real reasons she wants to go on birth control (other than the extremely small chance that during PIV sex with me (a rarity in itself) that she'll get pregnant), is to help regulate her periods. Also, I'm pretty sure that among her many metal allergies, copper is probably one of them.

Damn.

The Pill is utterly brilliant for controlling periods. On it, mine were clockwork regular (to the extent that I knew they would start on a Saturday morning) and really light, like 3-4 days max. I'm told the Mirena is very good for reducing/controlling periods too, although it might make them stop altogether.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Thank you for the info!

Damn.

Yeah, I would strongly recommend the pill. It sounds perfect for her. Great protection rate, period regulation, lightened periods..

It sounds like a pretty good fit from what you've said here :)

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:Yeah, I would strongly recommend the pill. It sounds perfect for her. Great protection rate, period regulation, lightened periods..

It sounds like a pretty good fit from what you've said here :)

The pill has a rubbish protection rate :lol: If taken perfectly, it's 99.something%, in practice it's more like 80-85%. Due to stuff like forgetfulness, illness, medication interactions, etc.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

So she needs to make sure she takes it right. It isn't that difficult. I would hardly call it rubbish.

illiterati

Postby illiterati » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

Jumping into this thread a bit out of the blue, so please forgive the topical disorientation. Just wanted to throw out 2cents & a query since I saw discussion of The Pill. Great stuff, but very much not for everyone. Was on Orthotricylin-lo for a few months recently + had some severe depression reactions to it. Puzzled my GYN because that's supposed to be the one that WONT fuck you up emotionally. However, i've never felt so disoriented & not-myself in my life & it got incredibly scary. So....curious if any other women have had problems w/ the Pill and if any solutions were found? Am trying to decide where to go from here. My current no-sex solution is decidedly less fun. :twisted: :lol:
"Baby seals are jerks. They deserve to be eaten. They're all horribly racist! They think Hitler was a pretty okay dude! And if there's one thing killer whales hate, it's Nazis." ~ Questionable Content

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:So she needs to make sure she takes it right. It isn't that difficult. I would hardly call it rubbish.

It is that difficult. Everyone thinks 'oh, that's okay, because I'll just take it properly', but a huge proportion of the abortions performed in this country are on women who were on the pill when they conceived. Nearly everyone who's on the pill has failed to take it properly at least once.

We all want contraception to be as close to 100% as possible, right? 90-odd percent is acceptable, but I'd say when it's that important, 80-odd percent counts as a bit rubbish.

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

illiterati wrote:Jumping into this thread a bit out of the blue, so please forgive the topical disorientation. Just wanted to throw out 2cents & a query since I saw discussion of The Pill. Great stuff, but very much not for everyone. Was on Orthotricylin-lo for a few months recently + had some severe depression reactions to it. Puzzled my GYN because that's supposed to be the one that WONT fuck you up emotionally. However, i've never felt so disoriented & not-myself in my life & it got incredibly scary. So....curious if any other women have had problems w/ the Pill and if any solutions were found? Am trying to decide where to go from here. My current no-sex solution is decidedly less fun. :twisted: :lol:

The pill did nasty things to my mood, although it doesn't sound as bad as your experience. How about non-pill contraceptives?

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

Oi. Let's not turn the pill-taking-schedule thing into a fight; both points are valid. Yes, the pill can be less effective if it's not taken properly, and yes it can sometimes be hard to take it properly (and/or one might make a mistake). But some people are better about taking pills regularly et cetera than others, so whether it's a good choice really varies from person to person.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:33 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:So she needs to make sure she takes it right. It isn't that difficult. I would hardly call it rubbish.

So much truth here.
I like being on the pill, I can control my periods if I want to skip one I can skip one. I know when they're going to occur. I haven't had any side effects. I'm very good at taking them so I'm not worried. But everybody is different and it's about finding the one that works for you.

Ninja'd by just about everyone but I think Aaeriele says it best.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:Oi. Let's not turn the pill-taking-schedule thing into a fight; both points are valid. Yes, the pill can be less effective if it's not taken properly, and yes it can sometimes be hard to take it properly (and/or one might make a mistake). But some people are better about taking pills regularly et cetera than others, so whether it's a good choice really varies from person to person.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make it a fight. I was just pointing out that compared to others it's not all that reliable and it's starting to fall out of favour amongst UK ob/gyns for that reason. If it works for you as an individual, it's great.

Hope_ wrote:

So much truth here.
I like being on the pill, I can control my periods if I want to skip one I can skip one. I know when they're going to occur. I haven't had any side effects. I'm very good at taking them so I'm not worried. But everybody is different and it's about finding the one that works for you.

Ninja'd by just about everyone but I think Aaeriele says it best.

I liked it too. I was just crap at taking them :lol: and lots of people are, too.

Knowing when one's periods are going to happen was a hell of a bonus, though.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

Yes, sorry, no fight needed. I reacted strongly to seeing something that is so useful for some people get demonized (little stronger than the word I want, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment...). But I know it doesn't work for everyone. Hooray once again for contraceptive choices! :lol:

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

I can't feel my cervix when I stick fingers in my vagina. How would this affect checking for the string of IUDs?

Does it seem like a good idea to get the Mirena when I haven't tried any other hormonal BC methods, and thus don't know how hormones affect me? Or are the dosages so dissimilar that no real information can be garnered from the pill anyway?

illiterati

Postby illiterati » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

ashtraygirl wrote:The pill did nasty things to my mood, although it doesn't sound as bad as your experience. How about non-pill contraceptives?
Yeah, I need to do a bit more research & talk to my doc again. I guess i'm just hormone-shy now because I'd been hearing how incredibly safe pills were & never expected to have such a bad experience. It made PMS mood swings look like zen-state. Sad too, because I never forgot a pill and loved the other benefits. Irony! :lol:
"Baby seals are jerks. They deserve to be eaten. They're all horribly racist! They think Hitler was a pretty okay dude! And if there's one thing killer whales hate, it's Nazis." ~ Questionable Content

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:The longer/heavier periods probably aren't really going to turn her on to them. She's been having really sporadic periods which are very heavy and painful.
While the MIrena doesn' thelp with regularity, it does stop the heavy and painful problem. The pain is due to the breakdown of the endometrium, which is why when it's very heavy, it's also very painful. Mirna stops the endometrium from building up in the first place, so there is nothing to break down, so there is no pain. Kinda awesome! It is the sole reason I got it and it did exactly this and I've not looked back.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:00 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:Yes, sorry, no fight needed. I reacted strongly to seeing something that is so useful for some people get demonized (little stronger than the word I want, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment...). But I know it doesn't work for everyone. Hooray once again for contraceptive choices! :lol:

I know it's useful for some people, but I do honestly think there are much better options for most people, it's just that the pill is so heavily publicised they tend to think it's the only one, yaknow?

Hooray for choice indeed!

Return to “General”