[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Sungura » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

I second get a different doctor.

I wore braces for 2.5 years or so, had top and bottom retainers for 6 months to wear all the time, then 6 months only at night, and then I was supposed to keep wearing them at nights but I stopped long ago. I threw them out when I moved this past May. The top would still fit, but the bottom was one of those invisaline ones that is clear plastic moulded, and I have a tooth that shifted catywhompus again so it didn't fit on. My teeth are quite straight still there are two that aren't "perfect" in the line but you can't really tell. I dunno, I don't care. I did need braces (too many teeth, pulled 8 total plus all 4 wisdom teeth, straightened stuff into place, corrected some bite alignment issues) but everything is fine now, other than 2 shifted teeth. I've not worn a retainer in....6 years? 7 years?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

My braces came off sometime in high school, and I stopped wearing my retainer regularly, mm, maybe four years later? I never wear it now. I think it's been irretrievably knocked out of alignment. There's only the one tooth that's slightly crooked, and I admit I do stress out over it. Not sure that it can be moved short of more braces, though.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

So I've been looking though the last couple of pages, and I just wanted to come in and say hi!

*waves*

I'm Mary :3

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Hi Mary! Welcome to the place to ask and discuss anything and everything and an awesome group of gals and sometimes guys who pipe in too. (I"m guessing guys read this thread just to learn things, ha!)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:50 am UTC

I don't know I if have the option of switching to a different doctor--insurance, this guy is very good, moments of jerkitude aren't actually that frequent. I'm wearing my retainer at night, and I'll probably keep on wearing it pretty regularly. Unless I'm on vacation, in which case it's staying at home.

Hi Mary!

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:26 am UTC

Thanks for all the encouragement and hugs :)

Things are chilling out a bit. Drama is still there, but it's shifted into more of an underlying issue
suddenly morphed into an insomniac...

few less things to stress about these days
got all the possible questions that could be on my Science of Sports Injury final
found out that one of my finals is take home
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

Thanks guys :3
I love how having a uterus can bring so many people together :P
My friend is having a baby, and quite frankly it's brought my ovaries to the point of ruin. He was talking about how his girlfriend's stomach hops up and down because the baby CAN FREAKING HICCUP.

How adorable is that????

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

prattmt wrote:I love how having a uterus can bring so many people together :P

I know you didn't mean it, but... :(
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
prattmt wrote:I love how having a uterus can bring so many people together :P

I know you didn't mean it, but... :(

I'm sorry... clue me in? I'm confused.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

Handy little tip: not all ladies have uteruses and ovaries and such. Same with gentlemen.. not all of them have testicles and prostates and the like. Outward meatshell doesn't match the internal selfspace and so on.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Handy little tip: not all ladies have uteruses and ovaries and such. Same with gentlemen.. not all of them have testicles and prostates and the like.

Ahh, I forgot. My apologies for the oversight, everyone. I hope you understand I meant well by it. I come from a tiny town with little diversity, so being close-minded sometimes happens, but I don't mean any harm by it.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Handy little tip: not all ladies have uteruses and ovaries and such. Same with gentlemen.. not all of them have testicles and prostates and the like. Outward meatshell doesn't match the internal selfspace and so on.

Fun fact: Something like 1/3 of American women have their ovaries and/or uterus removed at some point. Which is why my TA for Anatomy Lab (i.e., the only scalpels in, full-body dissection class offered to undergrads in the country!) was SO. RIDICULOUSLY. EXCITED. when one of our cadavers had an intact uterus.

Also, the thought of baby hiccups makes me super-greatful for my IUD.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

semicharmed wrote:Fun fact: Something like 1/3 of American women have their ovaries and/or uterus removed at some point.

Wow. That surprised me! Are there lots of reasons to get those removed?

Also, thanks for the mothering. I went out and bought a package of spaghetti and suddenly remembered how much I love spaghetti and ground-beef meatballs. Mmmm. And cheap, too!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

semicharmed wrote:Also, the thought of baby hiccups makes me super-greatful for my IUD.

It makes me grateful I'm on the pill. The idea of that freaks me out no end.

But wow that is a really high percentage of women, how interesting. Do you know why? Is it a 'well these may cause you medical problems' deal for most, or simply 'I don't want kids' type thing or a mixture?
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:05 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:
semicharmed wrote:Fun fact: Something like 1/3 of American women have their ovaries and/or uterus removed at some point.

Wow. That surprised me! Are there lots of reasons to get those removed?

cancer and similar tumor-ey things are quite common in abdominal organs and can often spread to ovaries/uterus etc. Also complications during childbirth and the long-term after effects combined ageing related things.
Treatments for some of these are better now, but often the medical answer is just to whip it all out. I'd imagine the vast majority of hysterectomies happen in women aged over 50.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

There's a lot of reasons - reduces risk of ovarian cancer (somehow.. Magnets, I bet), helps with excessive menstrual bleeding (can't imagine why) and so on being reasons I can't easily make jokes of.

That said, I... for some reason have the impression that it's done in a lot of cases when it wasn't necessarily needed simply because it's faster and easier than long term treatment, but it's entirely possible that's just my brain making things up again, like Sharnalga or Scotland.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

I believe my mom already got a hysterectomy (or just got her ovaries removed? I'd have to ask to be sure, and don't want to bring it up, actually) done because after the breast cancer and finding out she was positive for BRCA gene issues, she didn't want to take any further chances with going through all that again.

I really ought to test for BRCA gene mutation at some point... I also really don't want to know, in some ways.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:I don't know I if have the option of switching to a different doctor--insurance, this guy is very good, moments of jerkitude aren't actually that frequent. I'm wearing my retainer at night, and I'll probably keep on wearing it pretty regularly. Unless I'm on vacation, in which case it's staying at home.

Next time he's being an arse, direct him to the WHO guidelines on pain management. I will find you a link later when I have time, but one of the very first things it says is: Believe the patient's assessment of their pain.

Or, this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8949129

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:I really ought to test for BRCA gene mutation at some point... I also really don't want to know, in some ways.

Please please do it at some point. I can completely understand not wanting to know, but if you know you can move on with your life either way. My mum has ovarian cancer and we had no warning of it before, it was a complete shock and that made it harder to go from fine to suddenly having to deal with that.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:That said, I... for some reason have the impression that it's done in a lot of cases when it wasn't necessarily needed simply because it's faster and easier than long term treatment, but it's entirely possible that's just my brain making things up again, like Sharnalga or Scotland.

I know that for some thing - like repeated uterine fibroids - a hysterectomy was seen as the best option for a long time, especially for someone who didn't want to use the Pill/Patch/other similarly-dosed hormonal options. But after her last D&C, which was her 3rd or 4th in 6ish years, my mom actually is getting a Mirena whereas 10 years ago, she probably would have gotten a hysterectomy.

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Personally, I have all of my parts and I haven't had kids, but it's pretty much doomed in my family that you turn 40, get cervical cancer and have to have a hysterectomy. I feel like I'm doomed to get it too, because I've had cancer already, too. Out of my mom, aunts, and cousins who are 35+ (about 5 of them), only 1 person still has their uterus, and I just don't like those odds.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:32 pm UTC

totally off current subject but....

where do i find cute pajamas? I need some summer pajamas for hot weather. I don't have any. Anything I find is really tween sort of styling and look, or boring, or sexy and reveiling. I just want a cute pair of pajamas is all!

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:totally off current subject but....

where do i find cute pajamas? I need some summer pajamas for hot weather. I don't have any. Anything I find is really tween sort of styling and look, or boring, or sexy and reveiling. I just want a cute pair of pajamas is all!

Have you tried victoria's secret? I get the catalogs and there's usually cute yoga pants and the like. It's not the Pink line, but the actual VS line.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

Here (in England) I would say primark, but I don't know the US equivalent (it just does really cheap clothes - I have some really cute penguin pjs from there). Maybe somewhere like Walmart - I've got cute clothes from there cheaply, but not pajamas.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

prattmt wrote:

Have you tried victoria's secret? I get the catalogs and there's usually cute yoga pants and the like. It's not the Pink line, but the actual VS line.

I've never been to a victoria's secret. I guess I've just always seen them as they have sexy clothes for sexy people and that's it. I'm not sexy, I don't have an SO so I don't need sexy clothes and undies, and I never fit into anything standard anyway (my technical size is somewhere around 36E or 36F but I often have to make do with 38DD or 40D which neither fit right but it's all I can get) so I figure victoria's secret just means I have to pay a ton of money for fancy sexy stuff I don't need and won't fit.

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:
prattmt wrote:

I've never been to a victoria's secret. I guess I've just always seen them as they have sexy clothes for sexy people and that's it. I'm not sexy, I don't have an SO so I don't need sexy clothes and undies, and I never fit into anything standard anyway (my technical size is somewhere around 36E or 36F but I often have to make do with 38DD or 40D which neither fit right but it's all I can get) so I figure victoria's secret just means I have to pay a ton of money for fancy sexy stuff I don't need and won't fit.

I'm not even sure what shirt size that ends up being, because I have a rather average B cup, but this is something cute I found on the website but the biggest size is an XL. You may wanna look around, because they have cute things with sleeves and what not too :) Sorry if it doesn't help!
http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1265437657564&c=Page&cid=1300105517386&pagename=vsdWrapper

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

thanks. I do see some things that I like...the XL size *might* fit, it depends on the cut

I measured myself based on their how to measure for bra sizes, and it looks like their 36DD or 36DDD would be what fits me. I don't know where a store is around here but I'm tempted to go find one and just see how not sexy and not small enough to wear their stuff I am. It will either be a self esteem boost if I actually can wear and look good in some stuff there, because I never have dreamed I ever could, or it will be crushing to confirm my thoughts that I won't. I'm not sure.

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:thanks. I do see some things that I like...the XL size *might* fit, it depends on the cut

I measured myself based on their how to measure for bra sizes, and it looks like their 36DD or 36DDD would be what fits me. I don't know where a store is around here but I'm tempted to go find one and just see how not sexy and not small enough to wear their stuff I am. It will either be a self esteem boost if I actually can wear and look good in some stuff there, because I never have dreamed I ever could, or it will be crushing to confirm my thoughts that I won't. I'm not sure.

I think there is a store finder on their website somewhere, but I hope it works! Some of the stores (like mine) don't have a ton of their clothes in them, so I get them offline.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:38 pm UTC

ordering online though with no idea of their sizing doesn't work. I can do that for some places, like, I get a feel for how their stuff is cut so I know what size I am and what cuts I look good in, and then I can order online. But I dont' know that for VS so I at least have to go and try.

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:ordering online though with no idea of their sizing doesn't work. I can do that for some places, like, I get a feel for how their stuff is cut so I know what size I am and what cuts I look good in, and then I can order online. But I dont' know that for VS so I at least have to go and try.

Well good luck, lovely, and feel free to PM me and tell me how it goes if you do :)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:23 pm UTC

American Eagle and/or Old Navy?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

I found pj pants at Old Navy once...that had real pockets and look cute! :shock: I know. I thought the world was going to end too, but it hasn't yet.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:43 pm UTC

All my PJ bottoms come from Old Navy. And I live in lounge pants. They're quite comfy, but generally at least a size or two too big, so you have to size down.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

My Mum had a hysterectomy, but I was only 12 or so at the time (she would've been ~52 though, which is slightly reassuring) and we never really talked about it. It felt like very shortly afterward that I overheard Mum's side of a phone conversation to my Aunty about some form of prolapse & downstairs area problems that my Aunty was having.... these things panicked my young brain no end, yet despite her having been a nurse, I've still never discussed these things with Mum. I think I should really get on to it.

According to the great source of Wiki, uterine prolapse is one of the reasons hysterectomies are performed, but it's one of those causes that CAN also be corrected by surgery without having the uterus removed. The Wiki page for Uterine Prolapse also claims that:
"About 50% of women who have had children develop some form of pelvic organ prolapse in their lifetime. It is more common as women get older, particularly in those who have gone through the menopause."
Time to get the tubes tied?! I'm not so fond of this idea of my organs all falling out my nether regions. Thankfully, there's no citation next to it, but if my family history is anything to go by... :( Unless the common denominator of Mum&Aunty is the three children each rather than the genetics. Maybe if I stop at two? When we get old Woman's Thread, please still be here for me?

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

charolastra wrote:All my PJ bottoms come from Old Navy. And I live in lounge pants. They're quite comfy, but generally at least a size or two too big, so you have to size down.

I'm a big fan of Old Navy as well.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

thewittyandthedashing

Postby thewittyandthedashing » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:39 am UTC

So I literally just started Shark Week and I wanna cuddle and the dog just ain't cutting it tonight.

What I would give to be not single again right now...

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:55 am UTC

/cuddle

I just got over a yeast infection and shark week and now I have ... the flu. And finals coming up. The world hate me right now! :shock:
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:51 am UTC

All of my PJ pants come from Old Navy, at the moment, and all of my PJ shorts come from Target.
The last batch of PJ pants (which lasted alll through college) was from Kohls. I also usually just pair whatever PJ bottom I'm wearing with a t-shirt or tank top, depending on the weather.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

Peter Alexander has some EXCELLENT pajamas. Slightly expensive but they are super adorable, comfortable and just cute. My sister has some that have inbuilt leg warmers! Amazing.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

Finally made it to VS.

Well that was fail. Walk in a whole bunch of size-0 type teens milling around. See 3 employees doing nothing. I make 3 loops around the store, passing the 3 empolyees (who were together in the same spot) 3 times. I am quite sure I had a deer-in-headlights look on my fact because there was /nothing/ normal in that store, no PJ's or anything. I finally found in tucked away on a rack in the corner pants for pj's. I figured well maybe I could try them on to get an idea at least, to order online. *Nothing* did they have a size above a medium. Which going by the teens grabbing the mediums, ain't no way anyone larger than a size 4 would fit in. The 3 employees enjoyed staring at me and never once asked if they could help me find anything.

I think I was the fat girl there for their amusement.

*sighs*

Return to “General”