[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

manictheatrefan

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby manictheatrefan » Fri May 06, 2011 2:57 am UTC

*sigh* Really? I live in Vancouver too and I just cannot believe this. ugh.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri May 06, 2011 3:05 am UTC

What was that thing Harper said when he won a majority government (basically due only to the split in the non-Harper vote)? Something about "no secret agenda, no surprises, it'll be the same old thing as before"?

I wasn't terribly comforted by that statement. This sort of shit is why. >.<
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Fri May 06, 2011 12:22 pm UTC

There's an abortion debate going on in the show thread. I'm going to ramble about it here because it's really annoying me but I don't want to be involved over there.
Spoiler:
It's a load of men deciding what I should be allowed to do with my body. If it were a load of women it would be the same problem. Some of them make very good points but I just wish they would all get the fuck out of my uterus. Frankly I am past the point of caring whether someone else thinks it's moral or immoral for me to have an abortion. It would make absolutely no difference to their lives if I had one but it would make a hell of a lot of difference to mine.
People can and should take whatever moral view of abortion they like, but please respect my right to take whatever moral view I like and act on it if necessary. I am so fed up of having the same debates over and over again, just stay the fuck out of my uterus and I will stay out of everybody else's.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri May 06, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:There's an abortion debate going on in the show thread. I'm going to ramble about it here because it's really annoying me but I don't want to be involved over there.
Spoiler:
It's a load of men deciding what I should be allowed to do with my body. If it were a load of women it would be the same problem. Some of them make very good points but I just wish they would all get the fuck out of my uterus. Frankly I am past the point of caring whether someone else thinks it's moral or immoral for me to have an abortion. It would make absolutely no difference to their lives if I had one but it would make a hell of a lot of difference to mine.
People can and should take whatever moral view of abortion they like, but please respect my right to take whatever moral view I like and act on it if necessary. I am so fed up of having the same debates over and over again, just stay the fuck out of my uterus and I will stay out of everybody else's.

Here is my own rant.
Spoiler:
I think it's absolutely stupid too. What are they scared of? That if women won't be forced home have our body/time be used as a baby-incubator what will happen? I just sometimes it stems from a positively neanderthal wish to maintain "breeding rights" and that they have to "pRotezks thEE baab33s!" It's happened throughout history in one form or another throughout history (and probably before) and I just want to be like "Really Society? Aren't we over this yet?" I also think that some people have this weird dystopian view of what the future would be like if complete reproductive rights, from the femtosecond of fertilization were given to the woman? That we end up with all the power in the relationship, we get to decide wether or not we're going to procreate. That women would actually get to start picking responsible baby daddies? That if men wanted to have kids, they'd have to be, you know, fathers? That getting some chick pregnant no longer enough to have your genetic line spread? My fiance's mom is a pharmacist and my mom is a computer scientist. My mom was doing her graduate degree while I was growing up. They have the same expectations of babies from me as I do for myself. Not until my thirties - and I can tell that this is something that they wanted for their daughters - the ability and opportunity to have a independent career before having babies.

Here's an article, but you will most likely want to rant too after you read it. Probably not the article, but what the article is about. And you won't want to get into an abortion debate, but sometimes you just need to talk to some women about it. We're here for you.
Last edited by Shro on Fri May 06, 2011 2:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Fri May 06, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

Hope_ wrote:There's an abortion debate going on in the show thread. I'm going to ramble about it here because it's really annoying me but I don't want to be involved over there.
Spoiler:

Having just checked out the thread, can I just say I agree with all of this you just said? I don't understand why it is so hard for people to get that my body = my choice.
i dare you to take me on...

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri May 06, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

Guys, that whole (most recent) business started because I tried to say politely that because a lot of people on the forum share views on some things it's assumed everyone does and those who don't are ignoramuses who get talked about and giggled at behind their backs. It's not the case, and that's why there are abortion threads for those discussions.

I know that's not what you guys are doing right now, but there is a certain critical mass of "I know, rite??" posts that end up making it feel like a space you can't participate in if you don't hold the popular view.

I am NOT looking to tell anyone what to do or not to do with their bodies, but I am asking the discussion be held in appropriate threads. I get it's pissing you guys off, and I understand and sympathize. I just please don't want to feel like I'm the only kid in school not wearing the cool thing and thus all the cool kids are laughing at me and it's easier to just cut school. Hope I'm making sense. Apologies for any stepped on toes, not intended.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri May 06, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

There is a place for "I no rite??" posts, too. It is nice to have a place to rant without having to fight against a bunch of opponents like in a proper abortion debate thread. But now "I no rite" posts have been banned in the abortion safespace thread, and you jump on them whenever they appear in the Women's thread or the Rant thread, so we're not ever allowed to have some outrage therapy?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Fri May 06, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:There is a place for "I no rite??" posts, too. It is nice to have a place to rant without having to fight against a bunch of opponents like in a proper abortion debate thread. But now "I no rite" posts have been banned in the abortion safespace thread, and you jump on them whenever they appear in the Women's thread or the Rant thread, so we're not ever allowed to have some outrage therapy?

I thought actually Moo's point was entirely fair and well-stated. This thread is a safespace thread, and it shouldn't be threatening to anyone.

If we need a place to talk this over besides the initial, let's make another thread, or find a more suitable space. I don't see why this isn't that place.
Last edited by Sandry on Fri May 06, 2011 3:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri May 06, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

Thanks Sandry, you saved me from posting a response not befitting this thread.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri May 06, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

I think it is a little tricky, because that is more tailored to people who have had abortions and their experiences verses being upset with the fact there is a debate in general. I mean, I am cool with opening up that space a bit to include simply thoughts around abortion that are not judging women who have had them but that was not really what it started as.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri May 06, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

No, ranting was already banned in that thread. I'm frustrated because there is now no place for these types of gatherings.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri May 06, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

Start a thread?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri May 06, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

Hmmm...has there ever been a "Rants just for X Particular Topic"? How open would it be for people to enter and just turn it into a regular abortion fight thread again? Hammer suggested FaiD but I've never been interested in posting there.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

roband

Postby roband » Fri May 06, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Hmmm...has there ever been a "Rants just for X Particular Topic"? How open would it be for people to enter and just turn it into a regular abortion fight thread again? Hammer suggested FaiD but I've never been interested in posting there.

Male here (but whatever), if you can have a safespace for one side of an argument, surely you can have a safespace for the other side?

*runs away to leave the ladies to their own devices*

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri May 06, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

You could always just go to the rant thread. That's exactly what it's for :wink:

I agree with Moo. While I mostly agree with what everyone is saying, I don't fully and it does leave a sour taste in my mouth. I don't want to debate here, but sometimes it's hard not to.

Just like one of my previous posts here (about my weight, specifically) was a little objectionable to the community as a whole, I think this is as well. Everyone may, or may not, agree, but it's a little like talking, in gruesome detail, about periods in a typical engineering company. There's just a better place somewhere!

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri May 06, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Hmmm...has there ever been a "Rants just for X Particular Topic"? How open would it be for people to enter and just turn it into a regular abortion fight thread again? Hammer suggested FaiD but I've never been interested in posting there.

Unless it is a bona fide safespace, I predict it would take very little time at all.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri May 06, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

I find that ranting using vague terms (in the ranting thread) helps when I want to rant about something that some people will argue against me. It helps me get things off my chest, and keeps people from replying.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri May 06, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:You could always just go to the rant thread. That's exactly what it's for :wink:

No, I've seen people get jumped on for that in that thread. And it WILL turn the thread briefly into another fight.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri May 06, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

And I feel like this is the only safespace people feel they have for talking about things like that without getting jumped on. And things are making me angry and really mad at people, and I need somewhere I can spit some GRAAAAHHH without people telling me I'm being political or controversial. There needs to be a place for emotional release about the subject, because it has the potential to be so offensive, but sometimes you just want to yell at things, and it's better to keep these things out of places that they will start fights. (Which is why I believe, they were spoilered to try and avoid debate). But if people are uncomfortable with that as well, I have no problem moving the talk to another thread, but can we please not have "Abortion" in the title?

I made this thing:

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri May 06, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:You could always just go to the rant thread. That's exactly what it's for :wink:
No, I've seen people get jumped on for that in that thread. And it WILL turn the thread briefly into another fight.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The rant thread is not a place to just vent frustration, because it's not a safespace, and people will call you on things there, or pick fights there, or be twits there.

Hence the vagueness.

But, I think Sophy's trying to change this thread into what you need.

There is also IRC for ranting if you can get on there. Or blogs. I created a blog on FAID for my own personal ramblings and mutterings because I couldn't feel safe saying these things in other threads. And I wanted a blog.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Fri May 06, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

I'll figure out what to do about this after I get back from work, if another mod hasn't done so first. Until then, please stop debating what a Safespace is, and return to discussion that we know is Safespace-appropriate. Thank you.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri May 06, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

On to other lady things!

It's the end of shark week, and I have also been riding my bike to work more and wearing heels in the office more. Cue intense lower back pain.
My worry is that it is UTI related not heels plus your bike seat is a little too low and your uterus is spasm-tastic. Cue drinking lots of cranberry juice and water.

Do other people get this with heels? The back pain? I am avoiding them until I figure this out or until that fancy dress party and the Slut Walk on Saturday.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri May 06, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

I had my doctors appointment today. Talked about getting breast-reduction surgery. Good news: My doctor agrees with me and was it up to her I'd get it on the day. Bad news: getting the surgery requires an application to be approved by the hospital. The hospital only looks at numbers. Namely BMI.

Fuck BMI.

Now for waiting. I hate waiting.

sophyturtle wrote:Do other people get this with heels? The back pain? I am avoiding them until I figure this out or until that fancy dress party and the Slut Walk on Saturday.

I tend to get back pains from heels. But then I get backpains from walking normally as well, so I'm not really a good person to judge what's normal.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri May 06, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

I just get fatigue in my legs, added on to scrapings if the heels don't fit well.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri May 06, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:I had my doctors appointment today. Talked about getting breast-reduction surgery. Good news: My doctor agrees with me and was it up to her I'd get it on the day. Bad news: getting the surgery requires an application to be approved by the hospital. The hospital only looks at numbers. Namely BMI.

Fuck BMI.

Now for waiting. I hate waiting.

sophyturtle wrote:Do other people get this with heels? The back pain? I am avoiding them until I figure this out or until that fancy dress party and the Slut Walk on Saturday.

I tend to get back pains from heels. But then I get backpains from walking normally as well, so I'm not really a good person to judge what's normal.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but what does BMI have to do with breast reduction surgery? Still, if numbers prevent you from getting something that will probably just make your general life easier... :evil:

As for the heels, whenever I walk in them (which isn't very often), I usually get sore somewhere - sometimes it's just the feet, but sometimes it's the back. I think that's when I'm just not walking in them quite right (forget they're heels and try to walk like I would in tennis shoes).

So, body image boost of the day: My boyfriend got around to watching the 11th Doctor in Doctor Who. He told me that Amy Pond reminded him a bit of a certain facet of my personality and that I would look awesome in her clothes. :D As she's definitely my favorite companion so far, I don't mind the comparison at all! For those of you who don't watch Doctor Who (By the way, you should really get on that - it's awesome!) or haven't watched the 11th doctor, Amy Pond is The Doctor's companion and is typically dressed in a mini skirt. So it's a bit silly of me, but it's nice that he thinks I'd look good. (Which he tells me all the time!)

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri May 06, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

It's usually my feet that end up hurting. I have a really cool pair of heels that I really should wear more often. I just have to find something cute to wear them with: I don't want to hide them behind jeans.

I made this thing:

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Fri May 06, 2011 7:03 pm UTC

I have some great heels that give me no trouble, maybe because they have a chubby heel not a thin one like these work shoes. I can get away with my sneakers in the office (like right now) but I feel more professional in the heels. Blarg shoes.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri May 06, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:As for the heels, whenever I walk in them (which isn't very often), I usually get sore somewhere - sometimes it's just the feet, but sometimes it's the back. I think that's when I'm just not walking in them quite right (forget they're heels and try to walk like I would in tennis shoes).

Okay, so, tangent: how do you all walk in heels?

I never did anything in childhood to help me develop a graceful natural gait even in flats or sneakers. My normal (read: in flats) walking style has been variously described as "tromping," "steamrolling forward," and "like a man." Now, add to that the fact that I've worn heels only a handful of times, sometime in the last year, and while I can now travel without falling down every other step, I'm worried that my heels gait is probably as clumsy as my non-heels style is. What are y'all's tips for this problem?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri May 06, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Sorry if I'm missing something, but what does BMI have to do with breast reduction surgery? Still, if numbers prevent you from getting something that will probably just make your general life easier... :evil:

They consider the risk for anestesia (this might be the wrong word, but I can't be arsed to get my dictionary right now) and surgery complications too big if your BMI is above 30. And since I'm very short (150cm), have a pair of freakishly huge boobs (J-cup) and have a lot of muscles (hi kickboxing!) my BMI is up around 35 somewhere. So if they only look at the numbers and don't take anything else into account they will not approve the application unless I get my BMI down below 30. My hope is that they will look at the height and use their brain a bit, but my previous experience with these things aren't making me too hopeful.

Anyways, if they do tell me that I need to get my BMI down to get the surgery I will fire up all my rage, track whoever made the decision down and make them see it my way.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri May 06, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

Usually my heals don't fit, so they give me blisters, as well as just general foot pain.
The ones that do fit though just hurt on the balls of my feet.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Fri May 06, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:They consider the risk for anestesia (this might be the wrong word, but I can't be arsed to get my dictionary right now) and surgery complications too big if your BMI is above 30. And since I'm very short (150cm), have a pair of freakishly huge boobs (J-cup) and have a lot of muscles (hi kickboxing!) my BMI is up around 35 somewhere. So if they only look at the numbers and don't take anything else into account they will not approve the application unless I get my BMI down below 30. My hope is that they will look at the height and use their brain a bit, but my previous experience with these things aren't making me too hopeful.

Anyways, if they do tell me that I need to get my BMI down to get the surgery I will fire up all my rage, track whoever made the decision down and make them see it my way.
...That they haven't previously looked at (at least) your height and your breast size and realised that they're kindof in the way of you getting you're BMI down is ridiculous. I understand that guidelines are needed but surely the doctors can also use their own judgement in these things?
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

I can't see them just looking at one number and then saying no.
They may only look at the numbers, but they probably also look at more than just BMI, no?

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri May 06, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

I think in certain cases, it just has to go through an extra stage of approval if the BMI is over a certain level, and get approved on a case by case basis. Hopefully the process will not be too tough/long and it's just a little paperwork.

I made this thing:

ashtraygirl

Postby ashtraygirl » Fri May 06, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

Maybe ask your GP to write a note about it in the referral letter? He could ask the anaesthetist to review you individually?

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri May 06, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:As for the heels, whenever I walk in them (which isn't very often), I usually get sore somewhere - sometimes it's just the feet, but sometimes it's the back. I think that's when I'm just not walking in them quite right (forget they're heels and try to walk like I would in tennis shoes).

Okay, so, tangent: how do you all walk in heels?

I never did anything in childhood to help me develop a graceful natural gait even in flats or sneakers. My normal (read: in flats) walking style has been variously described as "tromping," "steamrolling forward," and "like a man." Now, add to that the fact that I've worn heels only a handful of times, sometime in the last year, and while I can now travel without falling down every other step, I'm worried that my heels gait is probably as clumsy as my non-heels style is. What are y'all's tips for this problem?

When I remember, I usually walk like I'm tip-toeing. This helps because you don't get the sudden jarring of the heel because your heels are so much taller than normal. For me, if I tip-toe, I usually hit the toe a little before, but usually at the same time as the heel. This allows you to "glide" like in Ms. Congeniality :) I figured this out one band concert in high school when my friend and I raced down the hall in heels. It's a lot easier to run for me because it's pretty natural to run on your toes.

However, I hardly walk in heels, so someone who does so more often may have a better idea.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri May 06, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

Just for reference the Abortion Thread Where Meaux Might Yell At You in FaiD is probably where you want to go if you want to sit around with me and say things like, "Wow, i love how men will never have to have an abortion but they think they have a right to tell me what I should do." It's not a safespace, but it's a damn sure full of yelling space.
So y'know it's better than here or in the other abortion thread in Dear SB because you don't have to be nice just because you're talking to another person.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri May 06, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

Hmm...well, that might be a reason to join FaiD (and sink even more time into this forum D: ) I can get pretty abrasive when I'm in yelling mode. A lot of passionate feelings about this subject. I will consider this. Thread sounds awesome, though.

Edit: Heels, thank you Kestrel. Googling guides seems to bear out the walking on tip-toes strategy, although I should pretend I'm not on my tip-toes? They're telling me to come down heel first.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Fri May 06, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Hmm...well, that might be a reason to join FaiD (and sink even more time into this forum D: ) I can get pretty abrasive when I'm in yelling mode. A lot of passionate feelings about this subject. I will consider this. Thread sounds awesome, though.

Edit: Heels, thank you Kestrel. Googling guides seems to bear out the walking on tip-toes strategy, although I should pretend I'm not on my tip-toes? They're telling me to come down heel first.

You're not a FaiDite?

Holy shit.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri May 06, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:Sorry if I'm missing something, but what does BMI have to do with breast reduction surgery? Still, if numbers prevent you from getting something that will probably just make your general life easier... :evil:

They consider the risk for anestesia (this might be the wrong word, but I can't be arsed to get my dictionary right now) and surgery complications too big if your BMI is above 30. And since I'm very short (150cm), have a pair of freakishly huge boobs (J-cup) and have a lot of muscles (hi kickboxing!) my BMI is up around 35 somewhere. So if they only look at the numbers and don't take anything else into account they will not approve the application unless I get my BMI down below 30. My hope is that they will look at the height and use their brain a bit, but my previous experience with these things aren't making me too hopeful.

Hopefully if you can get them to see that most of your excess weight is muscle, not fat, you will have a better chance as it is the fatty tissues that can cause most of the complications a lot of the time as it changes the way you absorb and metabolise the anaesthetic. Though I'm not a doctor yet, so I don't know the actual procedures, just the science :P Definitely try and make sure they take that into account and good luck.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri May 06, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

I don't mean this to sound wrong, but if you're doing kickboxing and you're a J-cup, I applaud the hell out of you. Seriously, mad cheering props. That's flat awesomesauce.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Return to “General”