[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue May 10, 2011 1:38 pm UTC

So lasses, does anyone know where one might procure shoes that are not just comfortable, but actually good for your feet/back/posture? I have awfully flat feet, and would like some shoes that don't leave my feet achy at the end of the day, so cheap flats will not suffice. I'm thinking of something more akin to those old Clark's school shoes, but with elegant designs.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue May 10, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

Modcloth.com has been recommended before for dresses, but they have some fabulous shoes, some of them in the reasonable 30s. The site is pretty much hipster central. Though the Madame Herringbone heel would be perfect for someone's steampunk costume.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue May 10, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

Someday, when I have money, I will SO buy Fluevogs. Especially these.
img-thing.jpg
img-thing.jpg (25.55 KiB) Viewed 4931 times

But maybe in red!
10213301_Z4ELbw6D_b.jpg
10213301_Z4ELbw6D_b.jpg (6.93 KiB) Viewed 4931 times
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue May 10, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have experience with pepper spray?

I just moved to a part of the city that's a bit more sketchy. My actual neighbor hood is quite decent (old houses that have been moved into and fixed up in the last 10 years or so - it's actually pretty cool) but just outside of it is a bit sketchy (not too bad - just some abandoned houses and stores)

The library is only a mile away from my house, and the farmers market is only a half mile away. With gas as expensive as it is, and just for the environment too, I'd prefer to walk but my boyfriend has expressed some discomfort with that. (Note that he grew up in a very much suburban city and is very uncomfortable in more inner-city situations - I grew up in suburbia too, but I was only 4 miles from Detroit)

Add to that that I wouldn't stick out like a horrible sore thumb in this area (there's a mix of black and white people - I'm pasty white) and I know not to be out alone at night, and I'm really not that worried myself, but I'd like to make my boyfriend feel better.

There's no way in anything that I'd actually be able to defend myself. While I'm 5'10", I'm weak as anything and fairly uncoordinated.

Would pepper spray be a decent idea? (Note: I'm in Illinois so I'm pretty sure it's legal)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue May 10, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

You might get a better answer in the Smoke Pit. :P They're required to be sprayed with various agents depending on their training so they'll be able to tell you more about the specifics..

I carry around a pepper spray can on a chain, but never had cause to use it. Apparently the important things are to try to maneuver yourself upwind (so it doesn't spray you too) and to carry it without making it obvious that you're carrying it (otherwise the first thing they'll do is slap it out of your hand).
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

Pepper spray is good, wasp spray is better.

Spoiler:
The tricks I taught the female airmen in my self defense class included keeping your keys in between your fingers, to add a stab to your punch. Doesn't matter if you're 5 nothing and a featherweight. Hit someone in the eyes or throat with a key? They'll not enjoy the sensation.

Do not hold back, your opponent won't. Ball-strikes are only effective under certain conditions. Better to aim strikes at the throat, and eyes. Learn how to kick a joint, cripple their knee and run like hell. Your feet are your best friends, because in a prolonged fight against someone like me you won't win. But if you slow me down and run faster? You're golden.

But yeah, pepper spray hurts, but you *can* build an immunity to it, like I have.

If you want more advice, or if you want me to shut the hell up, I'll do either.
Last edited by Oregonaut on Tue May 10, 2011 6:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue May 10, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

I'd add a +1 to Oregonaut's advice. eyes, throat, knees, feet. A good knee to the ribs/stomach can slow a person down some too, but you have to be in close to deliver it, which is not a good place to be when violence is happening.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

crowey wrote:I'd add a +1 to Oregonaut's advice. eyes, throat, knees, feet. A good knee to the ribs/stomach can slow a person down some too, but you have to be in close to deliver it, which is not a good place to be when violence is happening.
Spoiler:
There are three parts of the human body that will continue to function, even when broken. The web between your thumb and forefinger, the base of the palm of your hand, and your elbow. Learn how to strike with them. Jam the web between your thumb and forefinger into their throat and you will do damage. They grab your hair? The heel of your hand should hit their chin. Rake their eyes, jam your thumbs in them, whatever. If they're behind you, an elbow to anything you can hit will have good striking damage. The more you move, the less energy you have, so focus on leveraging your arms into vulnerable points.
Last edited by Oregonaut on Tue May 10, 2011 6:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The EGE wrote:

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue May 10, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:I grew up in suburbia too, but I was only 4 miles from Detroit

Grosse Pointe ?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Tue May 10, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Do not hold back, your opponent won't.

Spoiler:
I'm interested, Oregonaut (or anyone else in a training situation), in how you taught your female servicefolk to identify when a random person becomes an opponent and it's time to strike. Even women who are big/strong and/or have martial arts training (or the like) and are capable of defending themselves often do not do so because they're just not sure if they're really justified. Or someone approaches them and they feel threatened, but are not willing to strike first. I've also seen the opposite (although far far more rarely), where some guy walked up to a girl and did the obnoxious "hey baby" thing and she immediately gouged out his eyes. So, how do you decide when it's time to drive your keys into somebody's throat? Do you wait until they've slammed you into a wall, or do you take action before they get that chance? If some jerk pinches my butt, do I take out their kneecaps?
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue May 10, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

A polite request, could the more specific descriptions of graphic violence be put in spoilers? I can read them normally, but there are some times when my imagination is feeling particularly vivid that I need to not see that kind of stuff.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

@Hammer
Spoiler:
My first instinct is to twist out of a grip, then run. Degrees of escalation - 1. get out of physical contact. 2. if they keep coming after me, then I imagine that's when more extreme defenses are called for. Luckily I've never had to go past 1.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:Do not hold back, your opponent won't.

Spoiler:
I'm interested, Oregonaut (or anyone else in a training situation), in how you taught your female servicefolk to identify when a random person becomes an opponent and it's time to strike. Even women who are big/strong and/or have martial arts training (or the like) and are capable of defending themselves often do not do so because they're just not sure if they're really justified. Or someone approaches them and they feel threatened, but are not willing to strike first. I've also seen the opposite (although far far more rarely), where some guy walked up to a girl and did the obnoxious "hey baby" thing and she immediately gouged out his eyes. So, how do you decide when it's time to drive your keys into somebody's throat? Do you wait until they've slammed you into a wall, or do you take action before they get that chance? If some jerk pinches my butt, do I take out their kneecaps?

Spoiler:
If some jerk pinches your ass, don't engage in physical escalation. That will cause a fight, one you don't want. The best fight is the one you avoid. Tell him off, sure. Give him three pieces of your mind, ok. But if you hit him, be ready for a fight.

If someone grabs your arm, twist your body to remove grip and engage. If they've engaged in physical restraint, take their ass down. If you have three people surrounding you and crowding in, warn them, they ignore your warning, engage.

The best advice I gave them was do not BEGIN the physical violence. A pinch is disgusting, sexist belittling behaviour that is disgusting and inappropriate and thirty other bad words I could use. It is NOT violence. The courts won't see it as such, and YOU will be held accountable for beating his ass. He slaps you, let at him. You have to be able to stand up and say with full honesty that you felt threatened with physical violence. That he/she was intending to harm you and that you fought in self-defense. There is a line that you have to feel, more than see. Threatening is not violence. Menace is on the line and could go either way. Physical contact that constitutes legal battery? Showtime.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:A polite request, could the more specific descriptions of graphic violence be put in spoilers? I can read them normally, but there are some times when my imagination is feeling particularly vivid that I need to not see that kind of stuff.

Did I get it all Aaeriele?

The EGE wrote:

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Oregonaut, I have to say your advice works here.
Spoiler:
I have been told by police multiple times that if you believe someone will assault you, all engines are go. I then used that advice during a mugging (someone pulled a knife, I broke his wrist), and was commended for such by the police.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue May 10, 2011 6:42 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:A polite request, could the more specific descriptions of graphic violence be put in spoilers? I can read them normally, but there are some times when my imagination is feeling particularly vivid that I need to not see that kind of stuff.

Yes, thank you.

(Also to clarify, what I have problems with are specific descriptions of injuries/things that cause specific injuries, e.g. the first part of the spoiler in this post. My imagination takes those and runs with them to where I can literally feel a phantom version of what it might feel like, and that is no fun at all.)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:

Yes, thank you.

(Also to clarify, what I have problems with are specific descriptions of injuries/things that cause specific injuries, e.g. the first part of the spoiler in this post. My imagination takes those and runs with them to where I can literally feel a phantom version of what it might feel like, and that is no fun at all.)

Roight. I'll keep that in mind. If there is anything else that I can explain, or provide more advice/details on, please ask. I'm all about helping people learn self-defense.

The EGE wrote:

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue May 10, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

I used to do some self defense stuff and I have one thing to add.
Spoiler:
Re: Keys between the fingers.
I have never had a strong punch, but with the keys between your fingers you can sort of rack them across. Like a downward hit. This can help get some DNA in the groves of the skin and will be less likely to push the keys back into your hand. It can also help for knowing when to do it. You are not going to kill someone this way, but you will cause pain (and maybe a facial mark, making them easier to identify). Since you know you are not going to kill them you don't have to be as afraid of using it as you might be to punch someone in the face/neck with keys.
In terms of when to use force in general?
Spoiler:
I slowly escalate. If someone is touching me, I will physically stop that from happening. The more they are persistent the harder I push/elbow/etc.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue May 10, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:I used to do some self defense stuff and I have one thing to add.
Spoiler:
I have never had a strong punch, but with the keys between your fingers you can sort of rack them across. Like a downward hit. This can help get some DNA in the groves of the skin and will be less likely to push the keys back into your hand.

Spoiler:
MosDef. The goal is to damage them. Do not be afraid to hurt them, if you have reached go time. Again, please understand that through experience teaching this I've seen too many women afraid to engage, DO NOT be afraid to hurt them. Hurt them bad. If they're going to hurt you, make them earn it. The technique Sophy talks about here is called "Cat claws", because it hurts about that bad. Shove the key in their eye, up their nose, wherever. It's a piece of metal, and you'll take them out. If you can't do that, for whatever reason, rake it across their eyes, their throat, shove it in their mouth and break their damn teeth. Fight. Your life is on the line, defend it. I guarantee you that you are more valuable than someone who would resort to violence to do what they want to do to you.

The EGE wrote:

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue May 10, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

*takes copious notes on self defence*

Re: shoes. I need a pair of flats that will give me some ankle support and last longer than a month (I'm on my feet at least 8 hours a day, doing a fairly hectic job), that will not result in crippling pain (so I can cook when I get home from said day)...any ideas/recommendations? Sometimes I wish I could wear heels but my ankles are just not upto the task, unless they're a) small and b) exactly the same width as the sole of the shoe. And even then, maybe not.

I'm wearing Karrimor walking shoes at the moment but I've just about wore them out. Shoes, they are awkward as fuck, and shouldn't be. They're kindof important.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue May 10, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

Shro wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:I grew up in suburbia too, but I was only 4 miles from Detroit

Grosse Pointe ?

Actually Royal Oak - so a pretty nice solid middle class suburb, but I'm fairly used to the 'it's dangerous to go alone!' thing and I've been in Detroit a fair amount.

Thanks for all the tips on self defense. I've deliberately taken out my keys when I have to walk in the dark, even just in a parking lot somewhere. I don't want to be paranoid, but I would rather be prepared.

When I first went to college, it was surprising how much the 'don't walk alone!' thing was ingrained in my mind. I go to school in a town with a population of 6000. It's in the middle of nowhere. The worst crimes that happen are public intoxication (and only when someone pukes) and trespassing. But I was paranoid so I filled up my nalgene and carried it - figuring that a blow to the head with that would at least disorient people for a second.

Another thing that gives me some confidence is that I can run pretty fast, especially when I'm scared. I may not be the most in shape person ever, but I can sprint if need be.

Still, I think I'll try to find some pepper spray just for another level of protection - just in case.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I know that my local (Victoria, Australia) laws of self defence specify that one's first step should be to avoid confrontation (run away to a safe place), and if that's not possible, one ought to respond with proportional force within reason. Of course, this is not the sort of thing you want to be thinking about when in an actual self defence situation; such legal perspectives exist mainly to prevent people from starting fights and then one-upping each other out of a sense of wounded pride.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed May 11, 2011 12:14 am UTC

Careful with pepper spray...issues being things like...it's in your purse...people tend to grab purses or they get knocked from you. If you *can* fiddle it out, peeps tend to spray themsleves in the mess, not paying attention to the arrow direction or wind direction, etc. I know of way more horror stories of peper sprays helping the person attacking rather than the attackee.

Anyway! I had a great time this weekend and I love caving. I sometimes don't like being short with guys who are taller and more climbing ability (but I'm getting damn good at it over the months!) but the most fun for my womanlyness was a bascially 3D tight maze in breakdown (boulders various sizes and shapes making small crawling or squeezing passages basically) and ah-ha! If I had known the way through it I would have easily left the two guys I was with in the DUST. Agility, flexibility, and knowing my body. I'd be warned "now this part here be careful becuase xyz" I wouldn't even *notice* xyz and just slide through without issues.

Also, ticks like to hide between and under mah boobs where I can't easily see. This can make for some humorous tick checks.

And, girls with long hair can do the rappel thing without cutting their rope after catching their hair like Sanctum (who did not see that coming? heh!) but I need a bandana to keep the little wispies away for added safety. I think I lost a grand total of two strands. Maybe. I dunno.

Oh, and I totally carried the 250 ft rope for the guys uphill on the 1 mile hike. All uphill. Did I mention uphill and climbing? And on the way down another girl was along that day, she carried it down. I'm not sure what the guys were packing but their packs were heavy. I think they need to learn to pack lighter. Haha.

Okay I'm just in general feeling a "fuck yeah I'm a women and I do cool shit just as good as the guys do!" right now :D
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

manictheatrefan

Postby manictheatrefan » Wed May 11, 2011 12:30 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:So lasses, does anyone know where one might procure shoes that are not just comfortable, but actually good for your feet/back/posture? I have awfully flat feet, and would like some shoes that don't leave my feet achy at the end of the day, so cheap flats will not suffice. I'm thinking of something more akin to those old Clark's school shoes, but with elegant designs.

I have flat feet too (they are also wide and size five), and I think Dansko shoes support well and promote good posture, and people like nurses who have to be on their feet all day rave about Dansko clogs. Some of the styles are a bit clunky, but if you happen to stumble upon a pair that's cute, I guarantee they'll be really comfortable and last you quite a while. (Pricey, though.) My mum used to wear the Dansko clogs for her work (she basically does x-rays of all sorts, and is running about all day, moving machinery, etc.) and I own a pair (Dansko Danielles—discontinued) that I wear as "choir shoes." A pair I've been coveting: http://www.dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/V ... l%20Grain/ they are purdy and look really comfy and sturdy. (I'm 4'9", so a three-inch heel never hurts.)

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed May 11, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Not very elegant, but for flats I swear by birkenstocks. They aren't especially cheap, but they are SO comfy and have good foot support. I live in mine from April to November.

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Wed May 11, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Kind of a dumb shoe question - do shoe repair places also clean shoes, like white satin shoes?

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed May 11, 2011 12:49 am UTC

maybe, the dry cleaners might be worth asking too...

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed May 11, 2011 1:10 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:I used to do some self defense stuff and I have one thing to add.
Spoiler:
I have never had a strong punch, but with the keys between your fingers you can sort of rack them across. Like a downward hit. This can help get some DNA in the groves of the skin and will be less likely to push the keys back into your hand. It can also help for knowing when to do it. You are not going to kill someone this way, but you will cause pain (and maybe a facial mark, making them easier to identify). Since you know you are not going to kill them you don't have to be as afraid of using it as you might be to punch someone in the face/neck with keys.
Spoiler:
this is my key ring:
Photo 108.jpg
it has the advantage of not being uncomfortable and being easy to grab when caught unprepared. even if it is in my bag, i'm capable of blindly reaching in and grabbing it from amongst the mess easier than a set of keys or perpper spray. it does have the disadvantage, however of not being serated. so it won't catch skin bits and is probably less good if you go with this method of sophy's. i however am more likely to swing from the side with the back of my fist when in defensive mode, because i know that that's a way i can hurt people. as such, if i have that spike coming out the right side of my fist, i'm golden, and having the whippy key tail doesn't hurt either. for purchasing, i don't know what stores sell it, mine was a gift. the one time i tried to find it online i believe it was listed as a ninja spike.
ImageImageImageImageImage

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed May 11, 2011 1:25 am UTC

a few words of warning though, in the UK carrying something like that can get you in to serious trouble with the police. If they had a reason to search you/your bag and found it and you didn't have a good reason to carry it ("just in case" is not a valid reason here) you'd possibly get jail time or a massive fine. Similarly, if you were attacked and used it in self defence, you still face trouble for carrying and using a weapon.
Realistically the police might show some discretion, but IMO it's not worth the risk of having something obviously weapony.
I have a good set of keys (half of which I don't know what they open, but the rozzers don't know that). One of my friends carries a marlinspike with the idea that she sails so can pass it off as just a thing she sometimes carries or forgets about in her bag.

Obviously the rules in the US about weaponry are different, but it's worth looking in to and figuring out what might get you in to legal difficulties if you ever had to use it.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed May 11, 2011 6:09 am UTC

SamaraLexx wrote:Kind of a dumb shoe question - do shoe repair places also clean shoes, like white satin shoes?
The shoe place near me does. They got shoe polish off of my friend's satin shoes (it got scuffed on from another pair of shoes that hadn't sufficiently dried).

meridian

Postby meridian » Wed May 11, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I had a party last night with Sophyturtle and H.E.L.E.N and we all looked absolutely fabulous. It was a 'fancy dress party' so some people were like, 'coctail dress?' and others were like, "Costume Party?" and generally we all managed to look classy as hell, Sophy and I in dresses and Helen in a suit and Tophat. (Clearly Human).
Hendu, Meridian and Azrael followed the same dress code of shirt and vest. I loved it. It's nice to have an excuse to be all femme (if I want to) from time to time.
Stay Classy, XKCDians.
carry on.

I had a jacket too! It was just too warm.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:awesome stuff

That sounds like so much fun. You go, girlfriend!

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Wed May 11, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

I hate everyone right now. I also hate the fact that although I'm not having a period because of hormone shots, I feel like I'm in a constant state of PMS which makes the fact that everything keeps shitting on me even worse and also puts me at a real risk for road rage. Dear body: My whole world is falling apart, I really don't need hot flashes and cramps as well.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed May 11, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:They consider the risk for anestesia (this might be the wrong word, but I can't be arsed to get my dictionary right now) and surgery complications too big if your BMI is above 30. And since I'm very short (150cm), have a pair of freakishly huge boobs (J-cup) and have a lot of muscles (hi kickboxing!) my BMI is up around 35 somewhere. So if they only look at the numbers and don't take anything else into account they will not approve the application unless I get my BMI down below 30. My hope is that they will look at the height and use their brain a bit, but my previous experience with these things aren't making me too hopeful.

Anyways, if they do tell me that I need to get my BMI down to get the surgery I will fire up all my rage, track whoever made the decision down and make them see it my way.
...That they haven't previously looked at (at least) your height and your breast size and realised that they're kindof in the way of you getting you're BMI down is ridiculous. I understand that guidelines are needed but surely the doctors can also use their own judgement in these things?

Jessica wrote:I can't see them just looking at one number and then saying no.
They may only look at the numbers, but they probably also look at more than just BMI, no?

Shro wrote:I think in certain cases, it just has to go through an extra stage of approval if the BMI is over a certain level, and get approved on a case by case basis. Hopefully the process will not be too tough/long and it's just a little paperwork.

That was what I was hoping for. That they'd look at the other numbers too, or that I'd get the chance to be reviewed on an individual basis. But alas that is not the case and my application was denied. Apparently now the demands are for a BMI below 27 (28 if you are older than 50), and for me to get there would require me to lose about 20% of my current body-weight. I will make an attempt though. I was very unsure if I wanted this surgery at all but now that they're telling me I can't get it I'm definitely going to do everything in my power to prove them wrong.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed May 11, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:That was what I was hoping for. That they'd look at the other numbers too, or that I'd get the chance to be reviewed on an individual basis. But alas that is not the case and my application was denied. Apparently now the demands are for a BMI below 27 (28 if you are older than 50), and for me to get there would require me to lose about 20% of my current body-weight. I will make an attempt though. I was very unsure if I wanted this surgery at all but now that they're telling me I can't get it I'm definitely going to do everything in my power to prove them wrong.

Ugh @ them. I hope you're able to get them to change their minds.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed May 11, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

:( that sucks. A lot.
I'm sorry AS.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Wed May 11, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

For f***'s sake, it's breast reduction surgery, how can it not occur to them that your breast size will influence your bmi? If it didn't, you wouldn't need any damn surgery. Gosh I want to scream at them. 20% seems quite a bit to lose - if you feel healthy as you are I'd recommend you do a fair bit of raging (perhaps in a less ragey way, as it might be more effective if you're pretending to be nice & polite to them...) about height and muscles and boobs before limiting your food intake too much.
Also, try not to let your anger influence your decision about the surgery too much! Proving someone wrong is not always the best reason to go through with something. Prove them wrong about relying solely upon bmi, but then consider whether or not you want to go ahead with surgery quite separately.
*hugs*

Also, thanks to everyone for the thesis congrats!

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed May 11, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:For f***'s sake, it's breast reduction surgery, how can it not occur to them that your breast size will influence your bmi? If it didn't, you wouldn't need any damn surgery. Gosh I want to scream at them. 20% seems quite a bit to lose - if you feel healthy as you are I'd recommend you do a fair bit of raging (perhaps in a less ragey way, as it might be more effective if you're pretending to be nice & polite to them...) about height and muscles and boobs before limiting your food intake too much.
Also, try not to let your anger influence your decision about the surgery too much! Proving someone wrong is not always the best reason to go through with something. Prove them wrong about relying solely upon bmi, but then consider whether or not you want to go ahead with surgery quite separately.
*hugs*

Also, thanks to everyone for the thesis congrats!

I think it does occur to them, but my guess is that the insurance company of the hospital have some demands aswell which they don't dare go against. As with most things it probably comes down to a matter of money and regulations. I will rage, as soon as I figure out who to direct that rage at, up until then however I will focus on what I can actually do myself.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed May 11, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:
Sungura wrote:awesome stuff

That sounds like so much fun. You go, girlfriend!

Thanks! If any doc says I'm overweight or something again, I'll whip out this photo. Shows off me muscles very nicely. Can't have muscle, arse, and boobs and not be overweight by stupid BMI!
(photo taken by Emily on her cell phone)

*hugs for AS* btw
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu May 12, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

Oh, hello shark week. You're early. About a week early, in fact. It has only been 25 days. My shortest cycle since going off of the bc has been 30 days, with the average being 36. I must admit, I'm not pleased to see you so soon.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Return to “General”