[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KestrelLowing

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:Sandry, can I just say that I absolutely love your hair. That is all.

I really like it too!!

I think you've got the same texture as me (relatively fine hairs that like to go everywhere! but a fair amount of them), just with more curl opposed to wave. So I'll definitely have to check that stuff out.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:Sandry, can I just say that I absolutely love your hair. That is all.

I really like it too!!

I think you've got the same texture as me (relatively fine hairs that like to go everywhere! but a fair amount of them), just with more curl opposed to wave. So I'll definitely have to check that stuff out.

Yeah, the fine hairs all over the place does pretty well describe it, particularly once summer hits.

And thank you both! :oops: I am a bit proud of it, probably my best feature.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:Yeah, the fine hairs all over the place does pretty well describe it, particularly once summer hits.

Yelp, that's mine too. (Especially if I let it air-dry after a shower...)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Like The Wind

Postby Like The Wind » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
Sandry wrote:Yeah, the fine hairs all over the place does pretty well describe it, particularly once summer hits.

And mine too!

The part that bothers me the most is that after a couple of days it gets better (yay!) , but then my scalp gets greasy so I have to wash again -> POOFF! and it starts all over again : (

It's mostly the top layer of my hair that's the problem, and whatever I put on there to solve the issue usually just makes the rest of my hair greasy faster, so I haven't found a good way to deal with it yet.

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:On iron tablets -- I get really badly nauseated if I take them on an empty stomach, but if I take them immediately after a meal I am completely fine, so that would be my best advice on them. :)

Good to know. =]
AngrySquirrel wrote:Also try to take some source of vitamin C along with iron supplements, it helps your body absorb the iron so it don't just go straight through.

Also, and this might be a bit TMI
Spoiler:
It's completely normal that your poop turns greenish or black when on iron-supplements.

Also good to know. (And a bit funny.) =]

Just got candied ginger slices. Looks tastey.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

Like The Wind wrote:
Aaeriele wrote:

And mine too!

The part that bothers me the most is that after a couple of days it gets better (yay!) , but then my scalp gets greasy so I have to wash again -> POOFF! and it starts all over again : (

It's mostly the top layer of my hair that's the problem, and whatever I put on there to solve the issue usually just makes the rest of my hair greasy faster, so I haven't found a good way to deal with it yet.
If you brush your hair a lot (so, brush it 50 strokes in morning or at night, making sure that the hair brush reaches your scalp) then it helps to redistribute the grease, and you can go longer without having ot wash it (I picked this up from my grandmother's 70's hair styling book from back before it was the done thing to wash your hair every (or every other) day, which seems ot be the norm in England anyway). I generally go about 5-7 days without brushing my hair, because it looks nicer when it is slightly greasy.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I generally go about 5-7 days without brushing my hair, because it looks nicer when it is slightly greasy.

Did you mean 'without washing'?

I tend to alternate between washing my hair and not washing my hair (just getting it wet) about every other shower or so.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Like The Wind

Postby Like The Wind » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

Angua wrote: If you brush your hair a lot (so, brush it 50 strokes in morning or at night, making sure that the hair brush reaches your scalp) then it helps to redistribute the grease, and you can go longer without having ot wash it.

I've actually heard or read that before, but somehow I never considered it as something that could help me.
I guess I'll have to try it!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
Angua wrote:I generally go about 5-7 days without brushing my hair, because it looks nicer when it is slightly greasy.

Did you mean 'without washing'?

I tend to alternate between washing my hair and not washing my hair (just getting it wet) about every other shower or so.
oops - yes, that
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

Sandry, I think we have fairly similar hair... I've been using plain coconut oil instead of conditioner for the last couple of months and it's working really well. I use maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon in total (I have bra-strap length and quite thick hair) and I have stopped using styling products too, since I like the natural wave I have going on.
When my hair is wet I work the coconut oil through it and then twist small sections so that they curl together when they dry. if it's going frizzy I just work a tiny bit more oil in.

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

I thought the candied ginger would taste like candy. It burns, haha.

Anyone have luck with birth control pills to stop period-related nausea? I'd rather not use pills, and I don't want to have to go to a gyno (eww, humilating), but I'm not sure what else to do if the ginger and iron supplements don't help. I just started a job, so being up until 5:00 in the morning a few days once a month because I'm sick isn't going to work out well. =/

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:02 am UTC

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:49 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Bit off topic from the monkeys (sounds awesome by the way!), but does anyone (chemistry background a definite plus!) actually know if different shampoos/conditioners really do different things?

I've really been attempting to find hair products that will actually work. My hair is really the only thing I'm vain about and will spend a good deal of money on. So it's not even a lack of money that's holding me back, it's more or less a lack of knowing what actually works! I have tried virtually all the typical drug store brands and am moving on to the salon ones. Nearly all of them made a difference for a small time and then did nothing.

Am I just expecting far too much from hair products? My hair is healthy, I just want frizz control that doesn't eliminate waves or require me to use heat on my hair.
no chem background but i can tell you that they do do different things, and not in too terribly a predictable matter because not all hair is chemically the same so not all hair will react the same to a certain chemical combination.
for your problem where the various products stop working i would suggest switching it up more. each shampoo has a list of things it strips from your hair, you need to switch shampoos to make sure you're stripping away everything you don't want, but watch out for combinations that over strip. i'm not saying you need to alternate daily, personally i do it bottle to bottle. if your hair generally stops reacting in under a bottle's time then maybe try every half bottle. this could get cluttered though, depending on your storage space, i recomend having three different ones atleast. the same goes for conditioner, different conditioners are fortifying different things, so switch it up. I also find that matching different brand shampoos and conditioners works well for me.
i've spent some time here and there are many hair types reviewing many products, and it can be helpful if you find someone whose hair is just like yours, but otherwise i find it just gives you new ideas. for example: if you search for hair care tips there are many pages that will tell you to avoid cones. but then i find many girls on this site who swear by them.
tl;dr: hair vs shampoo/conditioner is very much ymmv
ImageImageImageImageImage

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/19/skinny-women-make-more-money_n_872799.html

Well, fuck.

*slams head into desk*
I can't think of anything original to say.
*thud*

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:51 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/19/skinny-women-make-more-money_n_872799.html

Well, fuck.
I made the mistake of starting to read the comments. Ugh ugh. I do not recommend.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:12 am UTC

Spoilered for being ranty and off-topic and about arachnids.

Spoiler:
F---ing spiders, why do they exist?

More to the point, why am I so incapable of dealing with the fact that they do, indeed, exist?

You know what happened tonight? I went to go take a shower. I happened to notice a spider, dangling on the back of the door to the shower room. A big one. In the five seconds it took me to put down my stuff, run back to my room and come back with something to smush it with - it just disappeared. There's no discernible crack under the door or anything, no way it could have actually left the room in that space of time, so I knew it was still in there somewhere, just couldn't see it, and the thought that it was in there, hiding, could come out at any moment while I was taking my shower and take me by surprise - that was enough to get me to grab my stuff and run. I actually had to go upstairs and use the showers on the next floor because I couldn't bring myself to go back in there. God I'm a coward.

My building usually has a surprisingly low incidence of spiders - I can count maybe three times since I moved in in October that I've come across one. And all of a sudden they're everywhere, popping up when we least expect it, and my roommate finds it mildly annoying but not that big of a deal, and I'm just panicking. There's something about eight legs and the way they hang there and the way they wave them at you that just makes me fall to pieces, and now I can't get my mind off of this and I probably won't sleep much tonight.

Goddammit, I don't need this. I really don't need this right now.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Well, fuck.

Really, this is just about the same as taller men earn more. Society has an image of the perfect figure for both men and women, and if you deviate from that norm, you're punished. The ideal female figure has come to mean Twiggy supermodel skinny instead of the perhaps equally unattainable Marilyn Monroe figure. Therefore very skinny women are looked more fondly upon. After all, pay raises are nearly entirely subjective.

There also may be some confounding variables. It may not be just the weight, but what the weight has come to represent in our culture. Losing weight has been shown as the epitome of self control and discipline. Perhaps subconsciously people believe that skinny women have better self control than ones who are not as skinny.

As for very skinny men taking a pay drop, that's mainly because no one particularly thinks that a 'scrawny' male is attractive. They should have a little meat on their bones.

Sadly, women's appearance always seems to matter more than men's. Age is another good example: an older man with wrinkles can look distinguished and wise, while women must avoid wrinkles at all cost.

Wish I knew how to fix it, as this is pretty ingrained in our culture.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

The comments to the article also included remarks on how a lot of manufactured clothing is tailored to thin women, which also affects subjective standards. And that curvier women may represent a more sensual appearance whereas the Twiggy physique is more androgynous and less threatening. No idea how much of this is borne out in research, though.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

Hofstadter'sLaw: I don't get period-related nausea, but I did start the pill recently, and I think that Shark Week has affected me less over all this month. For example, I did get moody before hand, but not for as long as I used to when not taking the pill. My cramps were also less intense...well, except for one 15-minute period when they were oh-my-god-I'm-dying painful, but they had pretty much receded while I was looking up whether or not it was safe to take ibuprofen. I've only taken one pack of pills so far, though, so I don't exactly have a pattern to go off of. (Sorry, this probably wasn't particularly encouraging, but I didn't want to leave your question unanswered....)

Well, fuck.

Well, that's not fair. :\ I doubt it's intentional though. Not that that makes it better, but it does mean that there's probably less that can be done about it. Changing how society views different female shapes isn't exactly easy. :\

existentialpanda: *Hugs* Spiders suck. They should not be allowed in showers. You're not the only one who can't shower after seeing a spider in there. :)

Another off-topic rant. Also kind of angsty and definitely TMI. Not expecting it to be read, I just need somewhere to get it out.

Spoiler:
I...fail. So hard. I just recently had my second gynecology appointment recently, and though I won't get into why, she suggested that I try using tampons. In the past, I stuck to pads because I was squeamish about sticking stuff up my vagina, and even after I got over it (or so I thought), I decided that pads were easier. My mom never pushed me to try tampons, so I thought that would be the end of it. But, after the gyno's suggestion, I thought, "You know, it might be good to try it. Even if it doesn't become my main method, it's probably good to know how to use one."

So I did. Yesterday and today. It went badly. I think I was sticking it up the right way, and I followed the directions in the package, but, I couldn't get more than the tip up. It hurt. Yesterday, I kept worrying that I needed the "light" absorbancy, since Shark Week was so light (I was using regular). Thinking that was the problem (since it was making it impossible for me to relax), I asked my mom, and she happened to have some. So I tried those this morning, but it hurt, probably at least partly from yesterday. And I realized something: I don't want cardboard up there, not even for a little bit. I don't want plastic up there, either. More importantly, I don't want what is essentially a sponge up there! I can't help but imagine it sucking me dry, especially now, when I'm having the lightest period I've ever had. I also like the idea of menses flowing out naturally, instead of getting stuck up there for a few more hours.

The thing is, I can't help but feel that this makes me immature. I feel like the attitude out there is: women use tampons, or even better, menstrual cups. But pads are for girls. And the truth is, my squeamishness is immature. I should probably just get over it and try again. My gyno did warn me that it'd be uncomfortable.... *Sigh*
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

Aightynine, if you don't want us to respond to what you've got spoilered, you've got to tell us. Because here I go, replying, under a spoiler to respect your opinion about public discussion of these issues (which I actively enjoy discussing publicly).
Spoiler:
Tampons and cups are not more mature than pads. My mother only used tampons will swimming, and the same was true for me before I got a menstrual cup. I'm extremely comfortable with my vagina, but that didn't make me want to use tampons. I'm really shocked that your gynecologist warned you that tampons are uncomfortable or painful: from the very first time I used one, they were perfectly comfortable, just not as convenient as pads. I don't know why your gynecologists thinks you should use them, or why you want to use them, or what will make them more comfortable, but I want you to know that tampons are not supposed to hurt, and pads can work perfectly well. I love my cloth pads (which I mostly use as a backup for cups, but they make wearing pads so much more comfortable, with soft cotton flannel against my flesh), and they don't seem at juvenile.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

Aightynine wrote:Another off-topic rant. Also kind of angsty and definitely TMI. Not expecting it to be read, I just need somewhere to get it out.

Spoiler:
I...fail. So hard. I just recently had my second gynecology appointment recently, and though I won't get into why, she suggested that I try using tampons. In the past, I stuck to pads because I was squeamish about sticking stuff up my vagina, and even after I got over it (or so I thought), I decided that pads were easier. My mom never pushed me to try tampons, so I thought that would be the end of it. But, after the gyno's suggestion, I thought, "You know, it might be good to try it. Even if it doesn't become my main method, it's probably good to know how to use one."

So I did. Yesterday and today. It went badly. I think I was sticking it up the right way, and I followed the directions in the package, but, I couldn't get more than the tip up. It hurt. Yesterday, I kept worrying that I needed the "light" absorbancy, since Shark Week was so light (I was using regular). Thinking that was the problem (since it was making it impossible for me to relax), I asked my mom, and she happened to have some. So I tried those this morning, but it hurt, probably at least partly from yesterday. And I realized something: I don't want cardboard up there, not even for a little bit. I don't want plastic up there, either. More importantly, I don't want what is essentially a sponge up there! I can't help but imagine it sucking me dry, especially now, when I'm having the lightest period I've ever had. I also like the idea of menses flowing out naturally, instead of getting stuck up there for a few more hours.

The thing is, I can't help but feel that this makes me immature. I feel like the attitude out there is: women use tampons, or even better, menstrual cups. But pads are for girls. And the truth is, my squeamishness is immature. I should probably just get over it and try again. My gyno did warn me that it'd be uncomfortable.... *Sigh*

Spoiler:
If it makes you feel any better, it's uncomfortable for most people the first time they use a tampon or menstrual cups. I actually still feel squeamish about tampons (the whole sponge thing - I only used them when I went swimming, and even then reluctantly), although I use a menstrual cup now. BUT!!! There is nothing juvenile or immature about using pads. Some people, like my sister, aren't supposed to use tampons because of certain issues, so you're not alone. As far as I know, most people switch to tampons as their primary method during the daytime just because of convenience. If it's not convenient for you, why would you do it?

If you do want to use tampons per your gynos suggestion (which may be a good idea depending on why), first thing I'm going to suggest is get the tampax pearl ones. They've always gone in much better for me. Also, I know this is really hard, but tensing up will just make it so much worse. It's best if you're "in the mood", but I was a late bloomer for that sort of thing and never was when I was actually using tampons. If you're relaxed though, it will go much easier.

Finally, I'd actually suggest whether you want to use tampons or not to get familiar with stuff down there if you're not already (not during Shark Week, but sometime). Get a hand mirror and just kind of look at yourself. I was probably 18 until I actually knew where I peed from. Unfamiliarity can lead to annoyances with tampons and the like if you ever find yourself needing to use them.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I still get some discomfort from using tampons - I think I must have a small vagina or something, because it's like a dull ache that gets worse as they expand :P I still use them (though I refused until last summer because they were so uncomfortable, but it was a lot less worry about having blood around in south america where I wasn't allowed to flush toilet paper down the toilet - it all had to go into a bucket next to the bin)! If it hadn't been for that, I would probably still be using pads - I don't think you're immature for wanting to stick with them. I now deal with 3 and a bit days of a faint dull ache, (it doesn't hurt so much when I go to the lightest ones) because I've got into the habit, and it is kind of nice not having so much blood to deal with.

Tampax pearl are definitely the most comfortable to put in for me
GNU Terry Pratchett

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I put in another vote for tampax pearl or playtex sport. If you aren't too squeemish about blood I suggest trying on a heavy time. Also try out different positions while inserting. I now use legs slightly bent and spread apart, but when I was first learning I put on leg up on the bathtub and looked a bit like a dog peeing.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Another vote for the Tampax Pearl. I started using tampons in my late teens because I was knew I was going to go swimming on a vacation. I never stopped after that because, for me, they were so perfect. They were never uncomfortable for me (in fact I found them to be much more comfortable than pads.) But the few times I had to use a cardboard applicator, it wasn't as pleasant. But, yes, as everyone has said, do whatever works best for you, without regard to what others think (unless your gyno has a specific medical reason for you to use tampons).

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Different positions will make a big difference, yeah. Sometimes when I'm relaxed I can manage it with my legs bent and spread while standing. Most of the time it's just easier to sit down on the toilet. That will naturally spread your opening out a little and help you get a better sense of the easiest angle.
Last edited by podbaydoor on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

I always liked OB when I used disposable stuff. I was pretty bad at applicators, and I like that they absorb round instead of long (other things sometimes tried to poke out unpleasantly).
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:13 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I absolutely detest tampons. They make me feel all stuck up and unable to move the way I want. So if not using tampons makes me immature, then fuck being mature.

Another thing that I forgot to mention about iron supplements: If you can, avoid milk and other heavy sources of calcium when taking them, since those tend to dampen your bodys ability to absorb iron.

This might also be useful if you feel like reading.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

On tampons, without spoilers:

I'm surprised that many of you use tampons with applicators. I used o.b. tampons, the rounded ones without applicators. Looking back on it, putting in tampons with applicators wasn't a particularly comfortable experience, so maybe that's the part of the problem? I suspect that some people use applicators because they aren't comfortable with putting their fingers in their vaginas, but your finger gets so much feedback, and it's so much simpler!

The o.b. website says that o.b. is the only applicator free tampon sold is the US: that's crazy! I wonder if there are other brands of tampons designed to be used without applicators in other countries?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

ob is the only ones I have seen at home (in the Caribbean) and in South America (it was actually quite funny because before I got there, my group had come to the conclusion that they didn't sell tampons there because they didn't recognise the brand/picture on the front).

I haven't looked around for non-applicator tampons in England, so I don't know what they have here.
GNU Terry Pratchett

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

Life, you are too ironic for me right now
Spoiler:
I am tired, yet I can't sleep.
I feel really good right now, yet I'm blowing my nose every two minutes because of some stupid allergen
Aside from my depression, I feel really good physically and mentally, yet my doc wants me to get blood drawn :(

I passed my learner's permit test today! :D I can drive again!!!!! Next step: driver's license... look out So Cal :twisted:
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

If you happen to...ah...accidentally destroy LA with your new driving powers...I don't think anyone will mind that much.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote:If you happen to...ah...accidentally destroy LA with your new driving powers...I don't think anyone will mind that much.

Let's hope I don't destroy anything... last time I had my permit I ran over a bunch of flowers and nearly destroyed a mailbox.
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:The o.b. website says that o.b. is the only applicator free tampon sold is the US: that's crazy! I wonder if there are other brands of tampons designed to be used without applicators in other countries?

UK: I've never heard of o.b.
there's quite a few brands of non-applicator tampons here, lilets spring to mind but all the supermarkets and chemists have their own brands too. Looking at the boots products page I'd say maybe 1/3 are non applicator, maybe?

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

On tampons, I use a non-aplicator kind from Whole Foods that is like...natural cotton? or something, basically, I found the "natural" pads and tampons cause less bad response (aka less itchy red painful rashes!). If using an aplicator kind, I prefer the plastic one because it doesn't feel chaffy like cardboard does. I never could get anything in right looking at the drawings they give...I just sit on the toilet spread my legs a bit like you do when ya wipe and insert in that same position. In fact, if I try to do it standing up or whatever, it *hurts*. Must be the angles. Also, I slide the tampon down from higher up between the inner lips until I find the opening, as on the lower (buttside) of the opening is where pain is if pressure is applied so coming at it from the top kinda slips it in around that bit o' skin (which I am guessing is my hymen) but the only way I can seem to get that slide in from the topside angle is as I said - sitting on the toilet.

I am still not a fan of things inside me either...I find tampons handy for when I'm doing active things because pads tend to not stay in place then, so I can't rely on them. But other than that, I still use my cloth pads.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:Aightynine, if you don't want us to respond to what you've got spoilered, you've got to tell us. Because here I go, replying, under a spoiler to respect your opinion about public discussion of these issues (which I actively enjoy discussing publicly).

I spoilered it because I thought that there would likely be someone who wouldn't want to see it, since I think a lot of people would consider it TMI...though upon seeing all the replies, maybe I shouldn't have worried. ^-^; Also, it would've been kind of a long post without the spoiler.

Anyway, thank you, everyone. ^-^ I didn't think about trying different positions, but it does make sense that that would make a difference. If I try it again, I might try OB or something...I almost think it'd be easier without the applicator, and I don't mind a little blood (also, the no cardboard/plastic is a plus). That said, I now feel better about dropping the matter entirely. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure where I got the idea that there's a stigma around pads. Though the fact that there aren't a ton of people I can talk to about this in real life probably didn't help. You guys (er, gals, rather) are awesome. :D

existential_squirrrel wrote:I passed my learner's permit test today! :D I can drive again!!!!! Next step: driver's license... look out So Cal :twisted:

Oh, nice! Good luck! I too am trying to get my permit back so I can get my license (the first one expired). The application's in the mail still, so it may be awhile.... XD
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:31 am UTC

Aww Aightynine you'll find this is a great place, really nothing is TMI and basically everyone reads spoilers spoiled for "tmi". :) If you have time...work on reading the whole thread. SO MUCH good info.

Spoilered for being a rant, just wanted a safespace to rant this in.
Spoiler:
So I needed a good pair of caving boots in January. couldn't find anything here, no one was carrying hiking boots. Some places had hiking boots for men but not women, but most places had none. I figured it was a "I live in Michigan & it is winter" thing, found nice ones at the REI in Atlanta.

Cue today. My shoes are litterally falling apart. The additional beating they have taken the past few weekends has the top part of the sole on my right foot flopping some, no padding on the heels of either (and holes htere, hence all the padding has fallen out), some holes in the top parts...these are past done. My mom has $20 off and 30% off at Khols. So guess what? Even in the freakin' summer, they have hiking shoes for men, but not women. I check out other various shoe stores and our REI, and SAME THING.

The ONLY things I can get here for women footwear are: sexy shoes because we all know heels are a must, cute sandles because flip flops are getting so old school we have to cutify them up and we can't forget the sexy beach footwear, and running shoes because ya know we have to keep our sexy bodies all toned by running this summer. Oh, and "shape-ups" for getting our arses looking better. But hiking shoes or boots? meant for trails and woods? where there are bugs and dirt!!?!?! Why would any woman want that?

GRAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And no, guy shoes don't fit me right even going to an equivilant size.

Also, even if they did, I should be able to get shoes meant for women, for hiking.

I want to go on a rampage right now.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Your local REI didn't have women's hiking boots? That's insane! I've been to REI stores in four states (Washington, Florida, California, and Illinois), in all seasons, and they always have women's, men's and children's hiking boots. Call the store: maybe there was some strange supply issue, that is now over. Also, if your old boots were good boots that you just used a lot, the style you bought is still being made, and you can still read the size of your old boots, you should be able to order them online.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:34 am UTC

I ended up just ordering a pair online...hopefully it works. The style I have is over 3 years old (I've worn them well!) but I went onto Sierra Trading Post which is where I got these all those years ago, and so for $40 I have a new pair of hiking shoes coming. But still, the fact that I can't find shoes in store is shitty. I'm not even talking something complecated with sizing like pants with all the various dimentions those have to cover. I'm talking carrying *any* hiking shoes!!!! At all!!!

katethegreat

Postby katethegreat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:09 am UTC

Aightynine- don't feel discouraged if you aren't having much success with tampons. I remember when I first started, it was hard. I could still feel it inside me, which they claimed in my getting to know your changing womanlyish body and puberty books shouldn't happen. It's totally normal, especially if it hasn't absorbed much fluid yet and or if you're moving around and stuff. During one of my early tries, one actually got stuck in me in the wrong angle and it was not fun.
Here are my tips!
1. If you can't get a tampon out, poop. Seriously. Your pelvic muscles will make the right pushing motion, helping you get the tampon out when you pull on the string.
2. Use spit to lubricate the applicator. It'll make it easier and more comfortable to insert.
3. Avoid the really super ginormous ones. Super is fine after you get accustomed to inserting, but larger, be careful. Even if you are comfortable with inserting it, it can be a different story when it's expanded and you have to pull it out.
4. Take advantage of free samples!!!! Seriously. You can go on the different companies' websites, sponsored sites like beinggirl, etc to get samples of their products. Not only do you get to test our different brands and sizes, you save money. You can get pads this way too. Yay!
5. Not all tampons are created equal. Personally, while the applicator may be nice, I don't like tampax. The actual tampon expands widthwise, which I find uncomfortable and can feel inside me more. I like playtex because it expands in all directions. Find what works for your needs.
6. This is because I'm lazy, but a tampon+pad combo is awesome. You won't have to worry about messed up undies, and you won't have to worry about changing the tampon as frequently. Especially nice on a school day when you have loads of tests and things afterschool.

Don't get too discouraged, and good luck!

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:08 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Aww Aightynine you'll find this is a great place, really nothing is TMI and basically everyone reads spoilers spoiled for "tmi". :) If you have time...work on reading the whole thread. SO MUCH good info.

I'm beginning to see that. ^-^ To be honest, I prefer being very open about things when I can, but this often directly conflicts with my desire not to offend anyone or gross them out. The whole thread, though? x.x Sounds long. XD As for the shoes thing...well, I can't say I'm much of a hiker, but shoe shopping tends to suck, in my experience. I hope the ones you ordered online fit.

katethegreat: Yay, more advice! ^-^ Seriously, thanks. *Mood steadily improving*

Return to “General”