[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Plasmic-Turtle

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:09 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:...if you take her initial and read it with her surname, it's an innuendo. And, given her birthdate is 24-7-69, it's just extra hilarious. Especially given that she's kind of prudish.
Thanks for making me laugh out loud e_e! Great start to the morning. Your poor Mum though, I hope it doesn't bother her too much!

existential_elevator wrote:I also have always assumed I'd never, ever be a "Mrs", even if marriage happened. My ex- was marginally offended by these notions.
I'm like that about the 'Mrs' thing too. I'm very resentful of the way that society has pretty much done away with "Master", or that if it is used, a male still becomes "Mr" by default of going through puberty, whereas for a woman the way we are addressed is entirely defined by our marital status. I'm trying to get my name listed as "Ms" on everything and plan to keep it that way. I'm lucky to have found a man who'd be supportive of all my decisions about such things, but unfortunately I'm going to be leaving him behind to go overseas in a few months :( There better be a bunch more men like him out there, I have high expectations now!

PictureSarah wrote:I'm only slightly concerned about what will happen if we have children. I would like it if there was some sort of "team name" to unite our family under, but there isn't. I know one couple who got married (I was their wedding photographer), where his last name was Suskind, and her last name was Roseman, so they both changed their last names to Rosekind, which I thought was sweet. Unfortunately, my last name and my husband's last name can't really be combined in any kind of graceful way.
My parents played around by mixing the letters of their last names together and deleting any letter double-ups, then re-arranging the letters into something that sounded OK. The name they came up with actually works very well, though they only used it to name my Dad's library, not for the family. I'd be OK with kids keeping the husband's name, cause they'd be getting my mitochondrial DNA which is a pretty special maternal-line thing! Or there's the Spanish way of doing things, carrying two surnames?

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

It could be fun to just pick a completely new surname for the both of you.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

Last names... That's interesting. I like my last name, since it's cool, and it's decently rare from the country of origin (unlike my mom's last name, which seems to be the Smith of India :roll: ). And whenever I thought about losing my last name I felt bad since no one would keep it going on, as far as I know personally, and it's a cool last name. So I would be sad if it got lost.

If I got married, I would like to keep my last name. And pass it on to any children that I may have.

And I didn't have to shave my legs in the end, though my dad did bring it up once or twice during the vacation. Sigh.

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

I changed my whole name (first middle and last) as soon as I was old enough. It only cost me $50 and wasn't really that much hassle to change all my documents. My new surname was one my girlfriend and I came up with together, and it felt really right - it fit me much more. I thought a lot about how surnames came about in the first place - people were named after what they did or who they were. Smith; Baker; Chandler; Johnson... Lots of people just made up surnames.

Anyway, it didn't work out with my girlfriend, but I really like my name. I kept it when I got married, and my child has my surname, not her dad's. I said to her dad; if it's really important that all the family have the same surname, he's welcome to chance his name to match mine.

but the point of this long ramble is: I think couples coming up with a new name to suit them both is awesome.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:27 am UTC

Chandani wrote:Last names... That's interesting. I like my last name, since it's cool, and it's decently rare from the country of origin (unlike my mom's last name, which seems to be the Smith of India :roll: ). And whenever I thought about losing my last name I felt bad since no one would keep it going on, as far as I know personally, and it's a cool last name. So I would be sad if it got lost.

If I got married, I would like to keep my last name. And pass it on to any children that I may have.

And I didn't have to shave my legs in the end, though my dad did bring it up once or twice during the vacation. Sigh.

My name is also like a Smith of India. Only it's very regionalized and people can tell I'm Bengali right away by my name.

Also- I didn't chime in on the original conversation, but it sounds like your parents just want to protect you from possible teasing. I started shaving when I was really young, probably around 13 or so. The downsides of being a hairy Indian. Now, it's just second nature to shave, and barely takes any time at all. I shave every day in the summer, and around every other day in the winter. I like how my skin feels all nice and smooth. For the wedding, I got my face, my arms and my back waxed. Also the bikini area for the first time. That was an interesting experience.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:50 am UTC

I've been listing myself as "Ms" rather than "Miss" since my early teens - basically, since the time when I got to choose how to list myself - and don't yet know whether I'd like to be referred to as "Mrs" someday. My current SO and I have talked about the naming thing, and we toyed with the idea of both changing our names and using a hybrid (our names actually blend really beautifully, so I was quite fond of the idea), but he felt like it would be too much identity loss, and I've already got a decent amount of art and writing out under my name (which I seem only to share with an Israeli singer), so I think we're just going to keep our names if and when we get married.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:46 pm UTC

I have kept my maiden name, which MY family was very happy about, but which confuses the hell out of HIS family. Practically speaking, I'd be better off with his name as I live in an English speaking country and I have a distinctly Dutch last name which is a bitch to pronounce and spell but I don't care.
I can't really explain why I feel so fierce about it - maybe a feminist thing, maybe identity, maybe both. I even refuse to pronounce my last name the English way to make life easier for people as hubby keeps insisting.

Though on that note - I occasionally cheat and use his name when booking a reservation of some uninteresting sorts to save me the hassle of spelling.

I do insist though that he changes his name when he gets a Dutch passport through marriage next year, but I mean that more as a joke - defying conventions I guess :mrgreen:
This too shall pass

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:I've been listing myself as "Ms" rather than "Miss" since my early teens - basically, since the time when I got to choose how to list myself
Same here! And I only got that legally changed in January. The stuff that still says "miss" is annoying.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

Yes getting your title changed is a pain. My bank didn't want to change my title if I couldn't provide them with a marriage certificate even though I HAD NOT CHANGED MY NAME.
How difficult is it? It's not like it comes with extra benefits! :evil:
That took some shouting.

I forgot to say Yay Cathy welcome back! (:
This too shall pass

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

Neither of my parents changed their names when they married. My brother has my mother's last name as a middle name and my father's last as his last. I have my father's last as my middle and my mother's last as mine. This makes sense to me. The person I will marry/breed with is very chill on most things, and sees this as being a reasonable naming situation. And actually, he already has a male offspring so in case of another we talked about my father's last name as a new male offspring's name with the middle name from his side.

It is funny, how strongly I hold not changing my name. I am the only me, and if you google my name you come up with an embarrassing video that went viral a while back. I don't care. I would rather try to live down this embarrassment than change my name. Of course, I also identify strongly with my name. It means wisdom (first) heart-dagger (last). Pretty bad ass.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

I'm certainly nowhere near a situation where this would be a concern at all, but I've been torn for some time now on two decisions like that...would I keep my name, and would I propose? Because I might want to take his name simply because I liked the sound of it, and I almost certainly would feel more secure being the proposee. But I hate the idea of going the conventional route. Hatehatehate it. As if it would validate all the sexist crap around me or something. :S
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:15 pm UTC

Yeah, the one thing my man friend wants (in the traditional gender role thing) is to propose. Which I have basically been the delay on since I am more afraid of commitment than a spider/snake hybrid carrying needles in the dark with creepy music on (or some such).
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:30 pm UTC

I've got to admit, I don't really get proposals. Surely it's a conversation that you have, which ultimately ends up in the two (or more)* of you being engaged?

* I think I would only take wedding vows on the condition that whoever is presiding says "marriage is a union between two or more people..." :P Definitely none of that "marriage is a union between a man and a woman" nonsense...

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

Yeah, I bought some type of promise ring with built in time delay. No marriage for me until my mothers' marriage is recognized (or at least not outlawed).

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

We very specifically modified the language of our marriage vows so that "man and woman" was not used at all. I'm not sure if we used "between two people" or just "between people," though. And when we were announced, we were announced as "Alex and Sarah." "You may kiss the bride" became "You may now smooch!"

We really tried to make our ceremony as equitable and meaningful to us as possible, and I thought it was nice.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

That's kind of the other thing...vows...in my religion, you basically have to use a very specific set of vows or risk ostracism - identical for each gender, except that the female version includes the promise to deeply respect her partner. -_-

But then I don't want a relationship anyway so why do I even think about these things??

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

I haven't found any issue with the title part. any time I sign up for something, they just ask me what it is, and I've never had anyone with a problem when I've wanted to change it. *shrug* Could just be Australia though.

My daughter was born in Brazil, where *every* child is named [firstname] [middlename] [mother's maiden name/surname] [father's surname]. I think this is a nice system and makes things fair and equitable. The Brazillian authorities had a really hard time understanding why we (being foreigners) didn't have our parent's full names in our passports or ID. In brazil, your parents' names get put on pretty much everything.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:48 pm UTC

When the swiss consolate sends my mom mail they send it to [first name] [maiden last name]-[married last name]. That was the first time I had ever seen that done -- I think it's pretty cool that Brazil does it too. I'd like to know more about my mom's family and having good records of maiden names helps that out hugely.

<3 Artemisia
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:24 am UTC

When spi and I get married (in 2 weeks yikes!) I will be keeping my name. I feel a very strong bond with my family, and I like having a different name from my future-husband because it personally makes me feel more independent, which is important to me. Spi said he would be happy no matter what I chose to do with my name, and that we can figure out the kid-name later. In some ways I'd really like to have a name of our own, but maybe only when there's more than 2 of us. For now I'm going to keep my own name.

Also, I finished making my wedding dress today! There was so. much. sewing. But it was fun to bond with my grandmother. With so much time spent stitching together, we found lots in common that we never noticed before, like how much we like eating bananas and have hammer toes and like eating dinner that's cold. And we discovered some interesting differences, like how I would rather hold the shorter material edge with my left hand when I cut or sew, while my grandmother prefers to put the larger piece to her left. Also I put the unsewn portion coming towards me from the front, opposite from what a sewing machine would do, which my grandmother says is backwards. But then she laughed, and talked about how her mother gave her all kinds of grief for never using a thimble when she sews.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:26 am UTC

studyinserendipity wrote:Also, I finished making my wedding dress today! There was so. much. sewing. But it was fun to bond with my grandmother. With so much time spent stitching together, we found lots in common that we never noticed before, like how much we like eating bananas and have hammer toes and like eating dinner that's cold. And we discovered some interesting differences, like how I would rather hold the shorter material edge with my left hand when I cut or sew, while my grandmother prefers to put the larger piece to her left. Also I put the unsewn portion coming towards me from the front, opposite from what a sewing machine would do, which my grandmother says is backwards. But then she laughed, and talked about how her mother gave her all kinds of grief for never using a thimble when she sews.

That is awesome. :) Making one's own wedding dress (especially with family) sounds like it would be really neat. (And a lot of work, but still, really neat!)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:26 am UTC

Oh my goodness you must be the QUEEN of sewing or something. O_o

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:41 am UTC

Oh, wow, I remember (I think) you posting about finding the pattern and working with your grandmother last summer - you must be thrilled that it's finished.

As for last names, I'm almost certainly not changing mine should I ever marry. My SO has a hyphenated last name - his parents each kept their own when they marries but their kids (my SO and his sister) are hypenated momlast-dadlast. He's published under that name, and my thesis and all of my clips from my university newspaper are under my name. Plus, it's pretty unusual - I'm not the only one to come up on google (and all of my facebook accounts are ungoogle-able) but it's mine.

As for proposals, I'd like to have agreed beforehand that yes, we'd like to get married and sometime in the near-ish future but have the actual "will you marry me" bit be spontaneous. Whoever does the asking.

Edit: now --> not. Thanks, Enuja!
Last edited by semicharmed on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:06 am UTC

I'm always curious about two people with hyphenated surnames getting married and hyphenating their surnames. seems like that could get really messy!

natraj

Postby natraj » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:06 am UTC

I recently changed my name anyway for entirely unrelated-to-relationships reasons, but previously my last name had been hyphenated with both my parents' names. My SO's last name is also hyphenated the same way, so we liked to joke about the appalling potential combinations. Maybe we would both end up with FOUR LAST NAMES or maybe we'd just inflict that on potential kids. It would be the best.

haha, ninja'd on THIS VERY TOPIC.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:12 am UTC

that's the fun of being a parent. we can inflict any name we like on our unsuspecting offspring! Bwahahaa :twisted:

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

feyayeruka wrote:I'm always curious about two people with hyphenated surnames getting married and hyphenating their surnames. seems like that could get really messy!

There are naming customs that allow this. Certain Spanish naming customs involve taking both the father's first and mother's first surname. Of course, some people decide to take all their parents surnames which is how you end up with things like Pablo Picasso's full name: Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso.

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

Picasso had an awesome name!

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 am UTC

I definitely want to take my future husband's name when the time comes. I feel no connection to my last name and honestly, it comes with a lot of strings and baggage. In an ideal world, I'd marry another Jew and finally have a Jewish last name. Or maybe Jewify someone's last name as my way of stamping my identity onto my last name.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Having payed to change my name, i'm kind of attached to it. Even though I didn't change my last name, I could have. Didn't want to.

My partner has talked about changing her last name to mine because she likes it. That's about the only reason I can think of to change your name - liking it more than your current one.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:14 am UTC

yeah, I've had 3 partners now change their surname to match mine. So there's actually whole host of us out there. Kinda funny really.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:27 pm UTC

My mum changed her name back to her maiden name when she got divorced. When she married my stepdad she kept her maiden name; partially because of her name being fairly well known in her local industry and also because "I've changed it once and back again and it's too much of a pain in the butt, so it ain't going to happen again". When I stopped talking to my bio-father and as soon as I was old enough to not need both parent's signatures, I changed my last name to mum's maiden name too. It costs just over $100AU and they issued me with a new birth certificate with a new section at the bottom listing my previous name. Everything else was free to change, it just took a while and I still get bits and pieces that show up in the mail with my old name.

I am not sure what I'd do if I got married. Changing my name to mum's last name was a fairly big deal, and my sister did her's as well as soon as she was 18 (it was part of her birthday present). It holds significance for me for a number of reasons. I'd probably just end up keeping my name or hyphenating or just adding on the husband's name.

I do really love the idea of coming up with an entirely new name just for the two of you though, I've thought about that previously and I think it's something I could do.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:
Spoiler:
Congrats! Sorry to break in on you, but perhaps you (or anyone else) could help.

My BF and I are not planning to get married anytime soon, but if all goes according to plan, it's a likely step in our future. We've been dating for nearly 3 years so this is definitely a serious relationship and I really would like to marry him someday, when I'm not 21 years old. We had a short conversation about name changing tonight. He would want me to take his name. I want to be completely fine with it, but I'm just not. It's partially a feminism thing, but mostly an individualism thing and a family thing.

I have a very unusual last name. I am directly related to everyone in the US with that last name. I am the only person with my name in the world, at least according to google. You google my name, you get me, and only me. Things I was involved with, things I am proud of. However, due to my common first name, I got to the point where I wouldn't answer if someone yelled my first name down the hall because, being shy and introverted, the yell was never for me. In high school, I was called a shortening of my last name quite frequently as it was easier to distinguish.

His last name is more common. I google my first name his last name, and there's at least one other person with that name, possibly more. One of them is his cousin, although one he never sees.

Also, I am very attached to my family. I never had many friends, but I could always count on my family and I still can. Growing up I idolized my older siblings and loved spending time with my dad. My mom is my best friend. They're responsible for everything I am, genetics and nurture! I like being visibly connected to them.

I asked him to think about what would happen if he were to change his name. He said that people would think it was weird because a man isn't supposed to change his name. I totally get that, it's emasculation and puts him in a very uncomfortable place. I wouldn't wish that on him.

But, he just doesn't get the loss of identity that comes along with it. Can anyone think of a way I can get that across to him?

Realistically, I'd take his name and shove mine to a middle name. But I really want him to understand what that means. Sadly, the common alternatives just really don't work. Double-barreling would be horrendous just in sound and I'm really not comfortable with forcing people to call me two last names. Changing both our names I guess would be possible, but I still think it would have a slight emasculation effect. Keeping my name professionally and his name socially is what I'd like to do, but I'm going into engineering. I'm not a scientist with a publication record, or an actress or author whose notoriety is tied to their name, it would just be flippant to keep my name professionally.

So, I just would like him to understand that this actually is a Big DealTM. Any suggestions
?

[illegal]
My parents kept their last names, then gave me and my sister hyphenated last names. My mom is L F, my dad is D E, both me and my sister are M E-F. It worked out well, I think, though wanting to share a name does change things. I would imagine there was a greater feeling of unity after they had children who had both names, but that may not work for you if you (collectively) do not plan on having children immediately. On the plus side, my parents doing it the way that they did made things easier when they decided to get divorced.
I don't really know where I am going with this. My $0.02, I guess.
Also: finally egosearched!

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:10 am UTC

I'll definitely take my BF's last name when we get married. My maiden name is pretty common and so is his so I might as well just change it. Plus my first name and his last name would make me sound really really Irish.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:29 am UTC

I had to drop off my car this evening to get it repaired... eep. I hope it isn't broke!

I need good ideas on how to go to sleep earlier. I need my sleep and I try to get to bed early and I just lie there wide away with thoughts whirring through my head... I kind of want an "off" switch so that I can just *rest*.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:49 am UTC

Me too. :|

About the only thing I've found, and it totally isn't a cure-all, is tuning in to the body. As in, forcing myself to examine every body part, one after the other, paying careful attention to how it feels. Temperature, tenseness, restlessness, how relaxed it is, all of that. It's a form of meditation, in a way. You're pretty much forced to stop buzzing around your own head and move the attention into your body.

You can also focus on relaxing every part of the body as you examine it. That's what all the "helpful hints" things say, though I've never made that work for me. In fact, attending to all of my bodily sensations tends to make me feel more like I'm itching, or uncomfortable, than anything else. Still, it does help the buzzing slow down, especially if I think things like "it's okay that my body isn't perfectly comfortable right now. I'm just going to observe all of the sensations for as long as I can stand it".
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:48 am UTC

I've been having a really hard time getting to sleep, especially with the "whirring brain" feeling. after trying many things, what worked like a MIRACLE:
I got a script for Melatonin from my doctor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin I made a pact with myself that I set a firm bed-time, turned off *all* screens an hour before said bedtime, and took a melatonin. Then I'd have a hot bath or shower, especially a bath with magnesium salts, just to relax. Then into bed, maybe with a few minutes of reading something a bit boring to help me nod off, and I'd play a little relaxation tape when I turned the light off.
The hard part is sticking to the routine, and forcing myself to turn the computer/ ipad off ;)

after 4 months I weaned myself off the melatonin, and I have to say it was the best thing ever.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

Yeah, creating a bed time routine that includes shutting down external inputs (screens, etc), a muscle relaxant shower or bath and some quiet reading will cue your body/mind to fall asleep. We do it for kids, and it works for adults too. The melatonin makes you sleepier, so you drop off sooner.
It can also help to make sure your bedroom is dark, to minimize people wandering in and out, and to have a white noise generator-I just use a small fan as like the feel of moving air when I sleep anyway.
But it's the routine that will help the most. It got me through 6 years of working nights.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:35 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:But it's the routine that will help the most. It got me through 6 years of working nights.
Agreed! I do puzzles (crossword, sudoku, etc) on my DS or in a book for about 10-15 minutes before I go to bed. Now it's really tricky to do those things during the day without feeling sleepy!
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

Be careful with sleep aids (in pill form).

I state this, not because it isn't obvious, but because I'm currently unable to sleep without my sleeping pills. Which has caused me a lot of distress. Stupid pills. Tried going off them again last night. Took one at 3 am because I couldn't sleep. :(
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

Just out of curiosity, how many posters in this Awesome thread study any sort of Martial Arts, more specifically boxing?
The studio I am training at currently is a blend of boxing and traditional Tae Kwon Do that has been modified to be a "functional martial art" (limited to kicking from the ground, knee strikes, elbow strikes, and closed hand strikes). I struggle with the boxing footwork.

12 years in traditional ITF Tae Kwon Do (no sine wave) makes the striking easier, but I can't grasp the concepts for boxing footwork very well. Part of it stems from the fact that I can fight "Southpaw" and would rather fight that way than the traditional left foot forward, and the other part of it is that I'm so used to kicking all the time. My brain is all jumbled up.
Who knows? Maybe it was my ADD monkey that kicked in last night (my antidepressant makes me unable to really focus for a short while) or maybe it's the fact that it's only my first time trying to implement footwork into a fight scenario?

I love my friend Catherine, but he's such a pain in the ass! He was whining at me all last night until I went to bed because I was reading with the light on. This morning, he was being a big pest while trying to eat my mom's pants, so she threw him on my bed. He started howling, and I promptly tossed him out of my room. grrr. He's whining for food, and his bowl is full :roll:
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

Return to “General”