[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

my friend is about to start a job at boeing. by my understanding she sits in a room and double checks someone else's math in regards to wing construction. dunno what that is though.
ImageImageImageImageImage

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:30 pm UTC

Re: glumpy moom. I heat it up a bit more every time it starts to get really thick and hard to spread. Basically because if I don't I sometimes pull a hair or too off on the applicator and then can't put it back into the stuff for fear of hair in my hair remover.
Also, yeah, not nearly enough strips. I bought more, but since they sold just strips near me it was pretty easy.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:35 pm UTC

Can the Moom strips be rinsed and reused (once dry)? If the stuff is water-soluble, it should work unless the strips are too flimsy.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 am UTC

Oh, the whole point is to wash and reuse. I bought a suppliment pack back when I started using it 3 years ago and the strips that I have not lost are still kicking. I even put them in the laundry (wash and dry) and only a few have a string hanging here or there.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

eaglewings51

Postby eaglewings51 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:47 am UTC

So my boyfriend asked me to marry him on Saturday. No big deal or anything except

Spoiler:
YAAAAAYYYYY!!! :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: EEEEEKKK!!! SO EXCITED AND HAPPY AND IT'S AWESOME AND AMAZING AND HE'S THE AWESOMEST GUY IN THE WORLD AND I LOVE HIM SO MUCH AND I COULDN'T STOP SMILING FOR LIKE TWO DAYS AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE HIM AND I'M SO HAPPY! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

*Spoilered for extreme happiness.

If you want the long version, click here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=22072&p=3040454#p3040454

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:29 am UTC

That's wonderful!!!!
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:50 am UTC

eaglewings51 wrote:So my boyfriend asked me to marry him on Saturday.

Woooootles and cheers!! Now, enjoy the respite of bliss. And then don't let the wedding industry get to you.

KestrelLowing wrote:Do you know any female engineers? If so, what type of work do they do? I've come to the realization that of the female engineers I know, all of them are either project managers or something similar. I also know one who's also in technical sales (basically, she has to actually know what the product does as she's selling it to engineers).

I know a handful of female computer programmers (software engineers? haha). And grad students in engineering (electrical, mechanical, biomedical). And some technical project leads... academia research staff. In industry, (senior?) VLSI design engineer, MEMS design engineer. That's all I can think of in the last 2 minutes. But yeah, women tend to move toward more anthropology-type of jobs. I'd like to think because men tend to suck at them... grandiose thinking after a few beers.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 am UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Ok, so this doesn't really need to go in the woman thread, but I couldn't really figure out where else to put it:

Do you know any female engineers? If so, what type of work do they do? I've come to the realization that of the female engineers I know, all of them are either project managers or something similar. I also know one who's also in technical sales (basically, she has to actually know what the product does as she's selling it to engineers).

All the female engineers at my current internship are product managers, as were the ones in the two internships I had before this. Also, when going to a few 'women in engineering' events in high school, all the female engineers that were there were also product managers.

I got put in another product management role this internship. I'm terrified because I suck at it. I know the only way to get better at things is to practice, but I'm just really, really bad at it and it's the type of thing I really shouldn't be doing because I'm so bad at it. I'm starting to think I get pushed that way simply because people think I 'should' be good at it - people skills and everything.

...A lot of engineers end up being project managers, irrespective of gender. It's the nature of the work that most of us have to rely on, and therefore manage, other people to get what we need to do our jobs. The women engineers I work with are pretty much as varied as the male engineers, there's just less of them. If you're being pushed into project management or any less technical role because you're a woman, find a better company to work for, because the wider engineering community isn't always like that.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:23 pm UTC

I know a fair number of women engineers (both the software and the not-software kind) - most of them classmates from college or coworkers. Obviously there's some sample bias involved here, since most of us are only a few years out of college at most, but there are plenty of non-product-managers among the group.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:28 am UTC

I know plenty of male and female engineers, although most of the ones I know are young (mid twenties).

Most engineers do end up in some type of manager-like position, although for some "manager" is just a title. The older engineers (mostly male, because they're my dad's age, and let's face it, there weren't many female engineers 30 years ago) that I know all have some type of "manager" job title, but they still do a lot of design work as well. The degree to which they do design work v. manager work varies between each person and department.

I know at my SO's job, the engineers that he works with tend to do very little computational work and spend more time making designs and determining if the numbers "look right" (which is a trait we engineers are supposed to have, a knack for knowing if the numbers make sense). There's another group of engineers that kind of "manage" the project and the different teams working on the project, the idea behind it being that the engineers will understand why the project is the way it is, why the design is the way it is, why the schedule is the way it is. This "management" group of engineers also "translates" from engineering speak to other departments, like sales.

The female engineering professors I had at uni (granted, very small percentage) did their own research but also managed their graduate student's research, and same with the male engineering professors.

At my dad's work, he and his cohorts tend to do their own designs and number crunching, along with "translating" to non engineering speak. I think this might be why he works 80 hours weeks more often than not.

When I volunteered/interned at a government agency doing engineering work, my boss (an engineer herself) was more manager/politician and I did more design/information gathering.

I'm an Electrical Engineer, EIT, looking to go into power systems with an emphasis in transmission. There are very few female electrical engineers (it seems to be more of a "boys club" than some of the other engineering disciplines...I can recall on many occasions being the only female taking a class), and not many electrical engineers go into power systems, and even fewer go into transmission, so, I'm like a super anomaly. When I finally get enough spoons and get a job, I'll let you know the approximate break down of politics/paperwork/design/number crunching.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:56 pm UTC

Ok, so I just haven't met enough female engineers. And a lot of the ones I have met are older, so it does make sense that they'd be 'moving up'.

It was just peculiar to realize that. Now I just have to figure out how to aim my career so I never have to do management...

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:31 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Ok, so I just haven't met enough female engineers. And a lot of the ones I have met are older, so it does make sense that they'd be 'moving up'.

It was just peculiar to realize that. Now I just have to figure out how to aim my career so I never have to do management...

Here in what I swear is engineering capital (Huntsville) lol I see lots of female engineers although i dont know any personally. Sad thing is, based on tales from friends, seems the ones they interact with are a good decade or more out of date in current applications, and are annoying as hell to work with because they have seniority, think they know better (and really dont), hate being proved wrong (which is easy to do pulling out the current references and such), and they already have the (likely true, especially considering being in the field for a while and what they likely had to deal with ages ago to get into the field) "im discriminated against because I'm female" outlook all the time. This is apparently a decently sized problem with the older (40 and 50 year old) and all those combined they come off like pompous dumb jackasses. Which you know, really makes us (women engineer/science types) look /great/. :roll: Luckily, the "current generation" seems to have less these problems and being in such logical fields most folk "judge" person by person and not jump to "Oh me yarm all women engineers are stupid".

this is just what I have heard living here a bit now...ymmv.

As to not doing management - don't take those sorts of promotions. They'll likely ease you in slowly and it happens before you realize it. So just pay attention to what assignments and such you are given and negotiate around ones that put you in >50%time in management. (at least....science research seems to work this way).

@eaglewings51 - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Congrats! :D

@modularblues - ::hugs:: good luck with the zillas...dang.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:54 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Here in what I swear is engineering capital (Huntsville)....[Alabama]
NASA being all up all over Huntsville probably has a lot to do with that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Sungura wrote:Here in what I swear is engineering capital (Huntsville)....[Alabama]
NASA being all up all over Huntsville probably has a lot to do with that.
NASA, Boeing, Redstone, having the most PhD's (population based, aka highest concentration of PhD's) in the US...yeah. Definitely.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:05 am UTC

Mini-poll: Do you take it as a compliment if someone calls you swole or thick? My first instinct is to punch them, but people are telling me it's a good thing.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 am UTC

If someone called me 'thick' I wouldn't take is as a compliment (here it means 'stupid', I don't know what it means there), and I've never heard 'swole' before. I did just look up the definition, and it would be very hurtful to me because I'm a trans woman.
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:35 am UTC

It is generally a compliment along the lines of well built or fit. Stacked is another. These reflect cultures with different standards of beauty that favor muscled, fat or other non-normative body types (or that favor large asses at the least). See "gordita" as a term of affection. I've been called thick a few times and due to context was able to take it as a compliment. It can also mean fat as in unattractive, big-assed as in hot, or stupid as in "as a brick".
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:49 am UTC

i know both those terms to be compliments in reguards too the body. if someone calls you think in reguards to your brain, then you're being insulted
ImageImageImageImageImage

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:59 am UTC

"Swole" seems like what you would call someone who has been stung by too many bees.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:07 am UTC

How many bees is "too many"?

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:11 am UTC

three's company, you know how they say like
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:29 pm UTC

"swole" in particular is a reference to being muscular. if it's in the same context as thick here, then thick is probably also about being muscular.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:39 pm UTC

Spoilered for difference to current conversation
Spoiler:
Does anyone else occasionally get itchy nipples? It's so annoying, because the itchy one ends up erect all the time (probably because I keep rubbing it, which I'm trying to stop - thankfully I'm at home and not at work or something!). It's been like this for a day or two, and it's happened before, so it should go away - just wondering if it's happened to anyone else?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

PurplePenguin

Postby PurplePenguin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:47 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Spoilered for difference to current conversation
Spoiler:
Does anyone else occasionally get itchy nipples? It's so annoying, because the itchy one ends up erect all the time (probably because I keep rubbing it, which I'm trying to stop - thankfully I'm at home and not at work or something!). It's been like this for a day or two, and it's happened before, so it should go away - just wondering if it's happened to anyone else?

Spoiler:
Somewhat frequently happens to me, yep. Could it be to do with what you're washing your clothes/bras with?

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Usually people use it here to refer to curvy, I suppose. I associate it mostly with fat and therefore immediately get offended, regardless of context.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:31 pm UTC

My mother lately advised me to go to a new gyno, who specialises in hormonal abnormalities (I probably have PCOS, but not my last gyno said that if I don't want to use hormonal BC at all it's not worth testing). I looked at his website and am getting distrustful, because he mainly offers hormonal anti-aging therapies and the like and you have to pay cash.

One of the things he offers is hormone-aided weight-loss, injecting hCG every day for a few weeks, along with a 500 kcal diet, to directly attack the fat in the buttocks and thighs. Since I'm not a medical professional and there are no sources (just vague "studies in recent years in europe have found benefits, previous studies in south america found no benefits but were methodologically unsound") I have no clue how benefitial this "therapy" is. I assume that pretty much everyone looses weight on a 500 kcal diet, but it's mostly discouraged because it leads to yo-yo-ing.

So my question to all you knowledgeable ladies: is this kind of therapy useful? Can it be harmful? Is someone who sells this kind of stuff trustworthy? Should I look for another gyno who maybe specialises in hormones in youger people?
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

They don't sound trustworthy to me. WebMD is generally pretty good. I'm not sure if you need someone who specialises in younger people, per se, just that this one seems to be a bad one.

Given that the only effective treatment for PCOS seems to be hormonal birthcontrol (as far as I can tell), your old one is probably trying to save you money if you're going to refuse the treatment anyway, which is actually the sign of a good doctor. If you think it's something completely different, maybe you should just try an endocrinologist?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

mayhaps

Postby mayhaps » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:27 am UTC

I've done the HCG diet. You have to want to lose at least 20lbs, and it does work, but it's hard to maintain your lower weight unless you're ready for some lifestyle changes (better diet and exercise after you stop taking the shots [it's also available in an oral form]).

Please PM me if you want more info, I can't write more now as I'm traveling, but would be happy to let you know my experience.

paulisa

Postby paulisa » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:18 am UTC

Thank you both very much, I guess I'll stick to my current doctor unless something weird crops up.

I was worried about the hCG-diet because my mother is on it at the moment, and she tends to not evaluating methods and medicines in general, and the doctor's website was very much like advertising, that I was thinking it may be a harmful scam. However, if it's at least not more harmful than other such extremely low calorie diets I'm not going to bother fighting about it. I will try to talk to her about lifestyle changes, especially more exercise, but I don't have much hope that it'll help.
The smallest unit of time in the multiverse is the New-York-Second, defined as the period of time passing between the traffic light turning green and the cab behind you honking. - Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:49 pm UTC

Erg. A friend of mine just moved to a more rural area college town. She evidently was taking a walk this morning and had some man come up to her and say "was the walk of shame worth it?"

WTF! Now, you have to realize that this friend is really not comfortable with sexuality and that makes it that much worse. What is wrong with people?

While I doubt this will ever happen again, I'm trying to think of a good one-liner that could be useful in this instance. Anyone got anything? I'm really bad at that sort of stuff.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:18 am UTC

There are all sorts of 'well aren't you talking to me for no reason' 'taking way to much interest in my life to not be creepy' type things.
But real clever things.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:24 am UTC

Actually, this is one time when Ms. Manners really does have the best response. You stop, look at the person with polite incomprehension and say "excuse me?" in a very calm, chilly tone. Then you walk on. Get out your phone and pre dial 911 and if they approach you again, dial and tell the operator you are being harassed and describe the person. If the guy doesn't scamper at that point he deserves to get arrested, or at least talked to, but waiting for the police may take time you don't have.
It's a shame that there are all kinds of classes in protecting yourself from getting raped, but very few/no classes in how to not rape and harass people.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:32 pm UTC

"Are your creepy attempts at humour worth your probable lack of friends?"

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:29 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Erg. A friend of mine just moved to a more rural area college town. She evidently was taking a walk this morning and had some man come up to her and say "was the walk of shame worth it?"

WTF! Now, you have to realize that this friend is really not comfortable with sexuality and that makes it that much worse. What is wrong with people?

While I doubt this will ever happen again, I'm trying to think of a good one-liner that could be useful in this instance. Anyone got anything? I'm really bad at that sort of stuff.

Ugh. That's creepy as all get out.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 am UTC

I feel like I'm always here with birth control questions, and here's another...

I've been suffering from a really low sex drive and some negative moods lately, and I'm having hard time pinpointing why. Recently I started to think it may have lined up with when I started intentionally skipping periods (I take active pills for six weeks instead of three). But is this actually a thing that happens? Does it make any sense that taking active pills for a slightly longer length of time between periods would cause an increase in hormonal side effects? Or shall I continue my search for the cause? (I'm also considering that the effect this pill has on me may have changed over time--I had to change pills once before after a few years because I started having breakthrough bleeding and acne).

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:30 pm UTC

Hmm...I've never tried to skip periods with my pills before, but it sounds reasonable to me. How long ago did you make that change? For me, at least, the regularity of the pill seems to be key. Whenever I've missed even a day, I've felt noticeably off (it's been a while since I've missed one, so I don't remember exactly how it affected me, but I think it made me nauseated and moody). I realize that's the opposite of what you're doing, but I guess my point is I wouldn't be too surprised if changing the way you take the pill causes some changes in how it makes you feel. Or maybe going twice as long on the hormones without a break is too much for your body. I dunno. The only way I can think of to know for sure if it's your pill is to go back to the old pattern and see what happens, though not knowing why you made the switch I don't know if that's possible/advisable for you.
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:57 pm UTC

It was just out of convenience, so I think I might try going back and seeing if it helps. I've tried some other changes in my life, and they haven't worked yet. Hopefully this will work. Though it'll be a bummer going back to having periods every three weeks :P

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

I've definitely noted differences over time with my birth control - my libido is finally starting to come back! (Although I think it may also be somewhat suppressing my appetite, but that could just be the summer)

Also, I'm just excited because my potential adviser for grad school isn't as potential as I thought. He asked me for a picture today to put on the website and in a presentation about the lab. So that's awesome! However I of course have the thought that he may be trying to pad out his lab presentation with a female face (as far as I know, there are no current female grad students or post docs). Eh, whatever. It still means I actually know where I'll be living for the next couple years!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 pm UTC

spoiler for ot (moom followup)
Spoiler:
Second time around it went easier. Changes I made:
- Heated it up more than they said to. This allowed it to spread much more thinly. It was a bit hot, but didn't burn except on my multiple cuts and scrapes, haha.
- Stupid wood tounge depressors they give you work like shit. I pulled out my frosting knife from my cake decorating kit. Worked much better. I dipped it in, let extra drizzle off, blew on it (one blow along the length) to cool it a bit, and then *quickly* spread it on
- Put it on over a large area and let it set up before adding the cloth/patting it down/ripping it off
- The one with the lavender in it was gentler on my skin.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:53 am UTC

I just got a Brazilian wax for the first time. First time getting anything waxed professionally. Hurt like a motherfucker. I am mostly smooth now, though, although she did seem to miss a few spots that remain fuzzy.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Return to “General”