[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:34 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Does anyone else use http://www.cyclespage.com to track their menstrual cycle? I haven't been able to access it for a day now, and I am starting to be concerned. If it's gone for some reason, that would be 3ish years of data down the tubes (pun intended)!

I see it as still up, i've used this page for a long time and it's gone down before, once for a month, but came back. I wish i could buy this page, or at least being able to donate toward improving it. Last updated 2007. I've been using it since 2001 and yeah, it's a lot of data. I am pretty sure you can download it though too.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:42 pm UTC

I use http://monthlyinfo.com/ which seems pretty similar.

thalia

Postby thalia » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:00 pm UTC

I like the look of monthlyinfo. I've been keeping track just in my journal for a long time, with little x's, so I can generally predict my own numbers. But why do that when I can do it online and be lazy and have it look all fun and pink? :mrgreen:
One of these days.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:10 pm UTC

I also find the reminder emails pretty helpful. And it's good to know what my standard deviation is :D

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:06 am UTC

I use cyclespage by recommendation of someone on this thread! I'm quite happy with it. I also use a phone app. Having both makes me feel better about having a 'backup.'
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Rpgamer12

Postby Rpgamer12 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:09 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Does anyone else use http://www.cyclespage.com to track their menstrual cycle? I haven't been able to access it for a day now, and I am starting to be concerned. If it's gone for some reason, that would be 3ish years of data down the tubes (pun intended)!

In the 21st century, its not enough for a woman to worry about missing Shark Week, but now she has to worry about the website she's tracking it on going down!

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:14 pm UTC

Some random bloke from Facebook just wrote "feminism is for insecure bitches" which really pissed me off.

The discussion started when I posted links about actual research such as this as a comment to a women-kitchen-joke kind of status.

I really hate how feminism is related to something bad while ANTIfeminism is related to something good.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:37 pm UTC

My sis just shared this in fb, and I thought I'd share it here: http://offbeatmama.com/2012/11/telling- ... -beautiful
Just a little blog post, but it makes a very good point, and one I hadn't thought about. I'd thought about the importance of encouraging children to re-think the meaning of 'beauty' in discussion with them, e.g. about the beauty of a grandparent, spider, etc... but I'd never actually thought about the way I feel about myself and how I show how I feel about myself, and the way that might also affect them.

PerchloricAcid wrote:Some random bloke from Facebook just wrote "feminism is for insecure bitches" which really pissed me off.
Ugh. That would piss me off big time. :-/

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:19 am UTC

I really enjoyed reading that text. I won't post it anywhere now, but I'll sure as hell be sending it to whoever starts talking about themselves as ugly.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:I really hate how feminism is related to something bad while ANTIfeminism is related to something good.
It depends on your circle. Whenever possible I spend time with people who can at least deal with and respect me. Sure, I hear some slut shaming. But sometimes they understand what I am saying. After explaining fat shaming one of them actually instantly put it into practice to call out her husband.
But yeah. All my actual friends are feminists.

I am excited Cycles Page seems to be working again. I have been using it for years after Meaux showed it to me and for my last shark week I had to use My Monthly Cycle. It is a nice page, but I have too much data on the other to really switch.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:06 pm UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:My sis just shared this in fb, and I thought I'd share it here: http://offbeatmama.com/2012/11/telling- ... -beautiful
Just a little blog post, but it makes a very good point, and one I hadn't thought about. I'd thought about the importance of encouraging children to re-think the meaning of 'beauty' in discussion with them, e.g. about the beauty of a grandparent, spider, etc... but I'd never actually thought about the way I feel about myself and how I show how I feel about myself, and the way that might also affect them.

That is a lovely post, thanks for sharing!

I can't really comment on the cycle thing, I use an IUS so I do not menstruate.

@sophy: I'm probably very late to the party, but d'awwww what a CUUUUUUUTE avatar! :)
This too shall pass

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:39 pm UTC

:)
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:11 am UTC

I need to rant a little bit.

Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16342&p=3196411#p3196411

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggg. It annoys me so much when people just don't get it... "it's just how things are" is not a valid excuse for sexism, and is NOT OKAY.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:20 am UTC

I don't understand, but maybe I am not looking at the right thing?

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:38 am UTC

Spoiler:
Re: Aaeriele's post and sophy's confusion - I think Aaeriele is referring to the other person saying that "But video game audiences have always been male! How could they be anything else?"
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

I completely understand how you feel. I just had a similar discussion on Facebook, but with a girl - this is for girls and that is for boys and that's just how it is. Internalised patriarchy really sucks.

Some people do learn, others don't. My response to that kind of stuff is usually *breathe in* *breathe out* enough times (it actually does help you calm down).
It is not worth the change of your mood or your anger or your sadness. You can try to have a rational discussion, but if that fails, go elsewhere (mentally).
*hugs* :)

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:38 pm UTC

Oh, I missed that. All I saw was ships and things.

It really is BS.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:50 pm UTC

Somewhat related, but I think this is a cool idea: http://www.upworthy.com/move-over-barbi ... e-obsolete

Basically, it's a toy made for girls (goldiblocks), but encourages spacial learning as well as the more social aspects typically shown in female centered toys. Basically, there's a story, and you build the things that are shown in the story. I think that bridge could be very important for getting people to buy girls more spacial toys as well as getting more 'girly girls' into spacial type stuff.

Particularly what I'm impressed by in the general language in the video - it's not bashing girls who want to be princesses but instead is saying "your daughter is so much more than a princess" which I think is really good terms for that kind of thing.

Also, I recently was at the store and looked at the lego 'friends' line. I'm not as appalled as I thought I'd be. Yeah, there are more 'girly' colors (but it's not all pink and purple!), and the redesigned mini-figs, but other than that, they look like most every other lego set. The one that sticks in my mind is one set that includes a drumset - so they're trying in the line to broaden the 'female sphere' through these, which I think is pretty cool.

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:33 am UTC

I'm posting this here because of a really helpful clothing tip earlier in the thread. I was just looking for advice on how to approach layering clothing. It's something that always fascinated me looking at women's clothes (I'm a trans woman), and I'm wondering how one determines what can be layered etc.? My sense of fashion isn't very good, so I'm completely lost when it comes to this.
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

I'm by no means an expert, but basically, I think it looks nice when more colorful items that will be slightly shown (at the neck, or out the bottom, or at the sleeves, for instance) go underneath more neutral items. Like...a hot pink camisole underneath a black cardigan. Or an orange long-sleeved tshirt underneath a neutral olive dress with 3/4 sleeves, topped with a scarf. Also, for practical reasons, it helps when the layers underneath are tight-ish, so they don't get bunched up underneath the top layers.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:57 pm UTC

Another good rule of thumb is have the bottom layer be longer on bottom than the top. At places like Target you can get a whole pile of "long and lean" tanks for cheap in lots of colors. I'm very fond of camis with lace bottom parts going as a base layer. And a very bright cami with some ruching underneath a partially unbuttoned shirt/polo is super cute and emphasizes bust. It works best with low scoop or v-neck shirts as a top layer and almost any neckline as bottom. I *might* be cautious of combining a scoop neck with a scoop neck but you can get away with pretty much anything. Layering is a really aggressively casual look so it's hard not to look cute.

Tl;dr: Layering is awesome. Get ALL the colors. Layering!
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

NovaNatalia

Postby NovaNatalia » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:17 am UTC

Thank you both for the advice ^_^
I am the way into the doleful city. I am the way into eternal grief. I am the way to a forsaken race ... You who enter here, abandon all hope.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:37 am UTC

Hello hello, been a while!

I started taking Lo Loestrin FE about a month ago. It's a low-dose estrogen-only pill. I'm taking the active pills constantly to combat nasty period cramps! I was wondering if any ladies here had experiences with this, and what to expect with period stuff. I had a period about 2 weeks in (when it was due) and it was short and light, woohoo! Does anyone know when/if periods stop?

Even though I have the Mirena IUD and have a very very low chance of pregnancy, it's weirdly comforting to have a second line of defense.

I have 3 more weeks of school with finals. I'm stressed as all get out. It'll be reaaaal fun. This degree is kicking my butt. Computer Science takes foreveeeer. I do love it though.

I hope everyone is doing well. This thread has been conspicuously quiet recently! I love you all, women, and I hope life is treating you right. <3 Hugs!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Hi!!! Yeah it has been quiet....I think in the last years the main base in this thread "grew up" and "have lives" and aren't on the forums as much anymore, and simply, ran out of questions for each other, hah! That's my theory anyway. (Stuff in quotes because it's not a bad thing at all I just dont know how else to say it!) At least I rarely see anyone posting anymore that I used to chat with all the time.

Better topics - I am super intregued by what you are doing, as lately about every-other shark week it's long and crazy again, but I have the Mirena, 3 years in now. So you take the lo estrogen all the time then? I like the Mirena because I am horrible at remembering to constantly take pills so I know I'm protected with it, but as a backup to keep shark week managable is how you are using it then?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

My Mirena is at the 3.5 year mark, and I'm planning to get another one when its 5 year timer comes up. I'm quite happy with the Mirena, but unrelated 7 day heavy periods with lots of pain was just not working for me. I do take the active pill all the time. It means I have to get my renewal early because I use 24 of the 28 pills in the packet, but that's okay. Since I have 'mood issues' (aka anxiety) I was nervous about using a hormonal medicine. This pill, Lo Loestrin, is the lowest dose pill out there. I haven't even noticed mood, weight, or pimple effects from it at all.

I'm bad at taking pills every day too. The funny thing is that now that I'm taking this Pill, I'm actually better about taking my anxiety med daily too!! And I don't have to worry about being exactly on time because it's not my birth control - the IUD has that covered.

It's just for keeping away the shark week. Hopefully I won't have one at all! At worst I'll have one but it'll be 3 days and light. Woooo!

Also, having a life and growing up has been pretty good at keeping me away from the forum too, so I completely understand.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:51 am UTC

So does the lo pill stop shark week totally? I just worry about stopping it solidly that it's not quite healthy to do that I thought (mind you i havn't really researched that). Honestly though my plan at this moment is to get the mirena one more time and then if I dont want kids still when that one is up, do something permanent. I'm just not happy with the lack of shark week, the first 2 years it was great it's just coming back.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:54 am UTC

Sungura wrote:I just worry about stopping it solidly that it's not quite healthy to do that I thought (mind you i havn't really researched that).
I have the Mirena and haven't gotten a shark week in 3.5 years (it stopped about 6 months after I got the IUD). There's nothing wrong with stopping it for good.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:01 am UTC

Thanks Lanicita =)

I wish my Mirena worked that way! For a bit it almost did (I'd often skip every other month) but now it's gone so haywire every other month is a short 4-5 day period and the other every-other month is 12-18 days. Yeah. You read that right. I mean, it's slow for both. But enough to bother wearing a tampon or something especially with fast spurts for a few.

I just did some research quick on the lo losterin and I'm not sure it'd work for me, seeing warnings about migraines and such which concerns me, and it lists that it shouldn't be giving to folks with certain kinds of migraines and listed types I do get. Ahhhh well. But now I a curious of doubling-up with something else too. I'm just not ready to go perminant yet, I'd like to be into my 30's before I make that choice.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:39 am UTC

Yeah, I asked my doctor if it was cool to just stop periods and she said that when you're on the pill normally, you don't have a "normal" period where your body sheds the lining and unfertilized egg - your body is bleeding 'cause it's freaking out from the lack of hormones all of a sudden. Weird, huh? So it's perfectly fine to stop having periods.

I have migraines, but I haven't had any since starting this pill. YMMV, of course!

I was disappointed that the Mirena didn't do anything about my periods. It sucks that yours are so crazy right now, Sungura! Sympathy hug. *hug*

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:11 pm UTC

Yeah, I think the main reason that people still have periods on the pill is so that you know it's working.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 pm UTC

So I read about a pill specifically designed to be taken every day and basically stop periods, but it doesn't seem to be available in my country. I did however see a pill with the same active ingredients in very similar doses (one of the ingredients was the same, the other had 0.1 mg instead of 0.09). Would the effects probably be basically the same? Should I just ask a doctor instead?

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

It's pretty common for people to use regular pills just like the "never have a period" pill. You just skip the placebo pills. (There are some pills that have different amounts of hormones leading up to the placebo week, but any that have a flat amount for the entire cycle should work fine to skip). I'm not a doctor, but this is what I've heard from my doctor, my mother, and the internet.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:24 pm UTC

Thanks! I saw that there were pills with the same hormones in varying doses during the month, but some were constant quantities.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

So, finished my last period two weeks ago, and here it comes around again? What's up with that?
Should I worry?
Also augh stomach pain.

(I normally have Shark Week once a month or so, haven't been on the pill since this spring and am not on any meds)

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

Apparently Anonymous wrote:So, finished my last period two weeks ago, and here it comes around again? What's up with that?
Should I worry?
Also augh stomach pain.

(I normally have Shark Week once a month or so, haven't been on the pill since this spring and am not on any meds)

Kind of normal-ish in the crazy-shit-women's-bodies-do-sometimes. Keep an eye on it, note if it is spotting/light/shorter in duration or more like a normal period. The common term for it is breakthrough bleeding. Consult your nearest medical professional if you experience lots of pain, or unusually heavy bleeding, or if it doesn't spontaneously resolve within a couple of cycles or becomes a problem in your life in any way whatsoever.

Some Causes of breakthrough bleeding:
Ovulation
Pregnancy
Oral Contraception
(basically, hormonal fluctuations)
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 am UTC

Now for a look at an alternate universe where in I don't hate Victoria's Secret.

oh, that's lovely. I can almost imagine a scenario in which the company manages to learn something. They won't, but I can imagine it.

On the topic of Victoria's Secret ads actually made by Victoria's Secret, do the fit of the bras look kinda weird to anyone else? I don't know much about how other people's boobs work, but to my eye, in the pictures and t.v. ads they put out the bras always look this odd mix of too small, but improbably, rigidly supportive.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 am UTC

They often use photoshop to make cleave stand out and make the breasts rounder. Combined with the actual location and shape of the torso they often look a little ...off.

And I would totes wear a thong that says RESPECT.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 am UTC

I think I want to write VS and tell them how much I love their new campaign. </pretendingitisntaprank>

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:41 am UTC

VS is kind of in an awkward position right now, because they probably want to sue, but the response to their awesome fake campaign has been so positive, and reacting negatively against something that promotes respect, nonviolence and consent would make them huge douchebags...
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:08 am UTC

Well, I did contact them via their website. Interested to see how they respond.

Return to “General”