[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby ShortChelsea » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:02 am UTC

I'm going to the gynecologist tomorrow for my yearly exam and to get started on my hpv shots. Does anyone else feel sore or achey after their pap smear? I don't know if I'm being a baby about the pain or if it's fairly common.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:13 am UTC

I think it is fairly common.
I think it's weird.

But; It's not weird.
The variety of ways people respond is amazing.

Why?
Lying on your back should not hurt you.
If the speculum fits, it should not hurt you.

I know.
When the MD or Whoever does the Palpations.
They must feel your Ovaries.

That stretches the fallopian tubes in some women.
That Hurts.

Stretching the Ligaments that hold the Uterus in place can hurt, too.
They have to stretch things a bit. They have to feel it.

Maybe, not.
What about ultrasound?

I really have no idea.
Some women that have given birth, still complain about the Yearly.

Ask the Nurse.
Those people become experts in what other people complain about.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:53 am UTC

They say the cervix has no pain sensors. Mine gets bitchy after an exam, so I doubt that.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the second

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:56 am UTC

I've had some exams that I barely experience any discomfort during at all, and have no soreness after, and I've had some that are painful and I'm very sore and cramps after. I think it depends on the skills of the doc.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:36 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:TW: depression/suicide
Spoiler:
Every time I get Shark Week, my depression shoots into overdrive. It's driving me crazy. I go from being generally unsatisfied with life to freaking hating everything and not wanting to live anymore. I don't think it's PMDD though because I don't have any physical symptoms and I do in fact have depression the rest of the month, but this isn't something that can continue happening because I can't function well being this miserable for no reason.

Non-spoiler version since I'd still like help. Shark Week makes my depression much worse. I doubt it's PMDD. What do you think?

Sorry this is such a late reply UniqueScreenname, I can't remember the last time I looked at the fora it's been so long... but I was getting exactly the same thing last year.

Spoiler:
PMS has always been bad for me emotionally (and not physically), and it's usually in a very fast concentrated manner: such that I might snap at someone or feel frustrated, followed very quickly by tears and depression, followed within 0.5-12 hours by the first blood.

I've noticed that over-tiredness from a lack of sleep will certainly make it far worse, especially as I generally need a bit more sleep at that time.

For a number of cycles last year it was much much worse than usual, and after 3 months in a row of feeling suicidal during PMS I went to the Dr. (I haven't got a diagnosis of PMDD, but I don't see any reason why yours (or mine?) couldn't be that, it seems that the symptoms are largely emotional ones anyway? If you need to call it PMDD to receive help, call it PMDD...)

Like Artemisia suggested, period-skipping. My Dr also suggested this, & I think it's helped. I'm on Ava.

Also, depression. Are you currently receiving any help for it? It turned out my PMS issues were pre-empting (or symptomatic of an already present) worse depression, which caught up with me a few months down the track anyway. I've got a fair chunk of genetic disposition for it and honestly think I've spent most of my life, especially since age 12 onward, a bit depressed, so I get so used to it that sometimes I have trouble noticing it. Hell, it turns out that being a grumpy-arse in the mornings isn't even an innate personality trait, it goes away with drugs! I'm on escitalopram at the moment, I've found that far better for me than prozac which I'd been on in the past and which they tried first, and I'm pretty sure that this has also helped with the fact that I'm no longer getting bad PMS.

Hang in there, it can get better again!

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:18 pm UTC

Thanks for responding. I'm not on any treatment right now. I've been doing more with removing myself from triggers. I moved out on my own, ensuring I have as much control over my life as possible, and I haven't felt bad in a couple months, so we'll see. I used to take escitalopram, but I didn't feel like it helped a lot. When I was in school I got Cymbalta for free, and that was great because it helped with the physical pain I have to deal with also, so minus that component I think I was put in just a neutral cloud instead of actually feeling good. But I can't afford Cymbalta, and I'm feeling somewhat better anyway, but I'll keep this in mind if I need to revisit that option in the future.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

I am so sorry UniqueScreenname.
I did not read all of your symptoms.

I am so sorry.
I struggled.

One Doc had me try Progesterone.
It was impossible to take a pill back in the olden days.

I was risistant.
I'll take almost any pill.

She yelled at me.
I took the stuff the way she told me to.

We compromised.
It helped.

While she was discussing what the Progessertone would do,
she told me what I had to do.

"Treat it like a Placebo."
"Change comes from within."

Of course, I went home and got Tears in My Ears.
Placebo or Not. It helped.

Like an anti-depressant, it lightened the load.
It did not reach out, pick me and my burden up and carry us away.

Modern Medicine can do so much to improve, enhance and extend our lives.

And; Well! It! Should!
It! Owes! Us!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:06 pm UTC

I'm that sorry "wooo! drugs!" was about all the advice I had. :-/
That and to just keep trying with the management options you've probably already got in place, like making sure you're eating well, sleeping well, and getting plenty of water and not too much caffeine around that time. You'll know it's coming, and as much as it feels unbearable at the time, you know it is due to your body being sensitive to the change in hormones and it is not you, and it will pass.

Do you have much of a support network? Just any friends who you can call up and say "hey this is pretty bad", and be distracted or chat etc as you ride it out. Nothing has helped me more I think than having some close friends who I can be very honest with, like phoning up to say "I'm really sorry but I just can't meet up with you today as planned, the idea of trying to find some pants that fit and go out into the world has me in tears and panic and depression". It means, if nothing else, that I don't feel like quite as shit of a friend, because I've been able to be honest about why I want to post-pone a date.

I understand a bit of what you're going through, at least, so across the internets there are many people who can relate to it, and even more people who care... if that helps at all.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

So. Was trying to skip periods with the pill.

Attempt 1: progesterone-only. Led to perpetual spotting and serious depression. Went to a gyn who suggested
Attempt 2: Generess FE (progesterone/estrogen, monophasic). Still spotting. Less consistently depressed but still seriously depressed mood swings. Low point so far was 45-minute sobbing bout. This is not my normal.

None of y'all are my doctor, but I can't keep on trying new shit that keeps making me miserable for 3 months at a time; anyone know what makes the most sense for attempt 3?

Option 1: Look, get the message, the skipping periods shit isn't working. Stay on the current pill (or a new pill? try the multiphasic again?) and start taking the placebo days like you're supposed to.
Option 2: No, it's not the skipping periods that's wrong, it's that neither of those formulas were for you. Try a new formula. You won't be miserable for three solid months again with the right one.
Option 3: Look, get the message, the taking hormones shit ain't working for you. Ditch the things and deal with the draggy periods that seem to worsen your chronic heartburn periodically. At least you weren't fucking depressed.
Option 4: Okay, look, I know you haven't been with your GYN long and they kept jerking you around with that ultrasound results thing, but you aren't going to get any meaningful advice anywhere else. Call them or get a new one.

I am going to keep my gyn appointment and ask regardless, I'd just like to have an idea first of what the best way to go might be, if it's possible. Probably isn't. Sorry I only hit up this thread when I need something. So tired.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:36 pm UTC

How about: keep current pills for now but don't skip periods for a month or two. Does this solve the mood-related side effects?

Whether it does or doesn't, it will add a new data point to your decision tree. And you seem to need data points right now.

--

Apropos of not very much: it's a little bit tricky to tell the boss why I need half a sick day when what's going through my head is "I'm crampy and grouchy and need to go home and masturbate to get my uterus to unclench its fucking self".
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the second

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:01 am UTC

amere: have you tried a mirena IUD? being local instead of systemic I didn't have moodswing issues, and it super slows / stops periods. That would be my idea. I can't handle systemic pills.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

addams

Postby addams » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:03 am UTC

Maybe skipping periods is a thing you need to do, sometimes.
Why do you want to do that?

I must have misunderstood.
Maybe I learned it Wrong.
I learned it a long time, ago.

The female body has a rhythm.
Some women have short cycles.
Some women have long cycles.

Everyone has cycles.
It's Human of us.

Modern medicine can make a woman's life longer and more pleasant.
To use it to stop periods for no good reason seems strange to me.

Why do you want to do that?
I know periods are messy and painful and surreal more than normal.

In the long ago days, people believed women were open to the spiritual world when bleeding.
I can understand where they might get that idea.

First she throws a temper tantrum Raging against only God knows what.
Then she cries for a while. Then she wants her Mom. Then she is mad at Mom.

She can be quietly sobbing like a child and with the Click of the Car Keys her head spins around like a demon possession and She's Sargent Wilco!

You wanted to get out of all that fun? ok.
I heard about doing that. I asked.

I was told, "No."
It was more like, "No. You idiot."

Are you doing it medically?
Or; Is your doctor nicer than mine was?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:00 am UTC

Voting as a person with chronic depression, I vote wicked hard for heart burn. If we are working an either or situation, which I don't think we are but still.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:43 am UTC

Amen, Sophyturtle .
A bout of Clinical Depression would take the guess work out of it.

Worse than cramps?
I think so. You?

Well...Cramps and HeatBurn..That's bad.
Headache, Cramps and HeartBurn?

That's depressing.
All of that will give a person the Blues.

Those of us with Gloomy Dispositions as standard equipment are......gloomy...
We are darned funny in our misery, too.

Depressed people crack me up.
And; I am one.

What about being a Woman?
If you had a choice; Would you do it, again?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:50 pm UTC

I would totally choose to be a woman again, but if I did it over I would report my rapists and abusers to the police (and follow through on their punishments, if I knew then what I know now). At least then everyone would get to suffer.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:32 pm UTC

Thanks, everyone <3
poxic wrote:How about: keep current pills for now but don't skip periods for a month or two. Does this solve the mood-related side effects?

Yeah, this seems to be what I'm going to do for now. It was a kind of abrupt decision, but I think it was the right one, because holy god that was horrible bullshit I can't keep putting up with. I have enough other problems.
Apropos of not very much: it's a little bit tricky to tell the boss why I need half a sick day when what's going through my head is "I'm crampy and grouchy and need to go home and masturbate to get my uterus to unclench its fucking self".

I know the feeling. I'm not sure I can suggest a good solution, but, solidarity and things.
Sungura wrote:amere: have you tried a mirena IUD? being local instead of systemic I didn't have moodswing issues, and it super slows / stops periods. That would be my idea. I can't handle systemic pills.

I've been thinking about it, and one good thing about the gyn I found, he seems super open to it-- I came home with like three brochures. At this point I'm just paranoid about what would happen if it didn't work better for me than the pills. I've kept getting the "Oh, you need to give it 3-4 months" thing from my doctors, even when I call in after three complete months saying I'm absolutely miserable. And I think Mirena they'd probably recommend giving it 5-6, I think I read? So I keep imagining still feeling this way, and calling in, and them telling me they'll maybe consider taking it out in a few more months if I'm surrrre I'm having problems, and I have serious concerns about being able to make it that long if I didn't feel better than I have been. Having to go through a gatekeeper before I can drop it makes me nervous. But it might work perfectly, I've heard a lot of people say it's the only thing that did after trying tons of pills. And I've heard people say that it didn't work for them either. And I really very much wish there were a way to tell beforehand which group you'd fall into. We need some goddamn testing for this shit. Sigh.
sophyturtle wrote:Voting as a person with chronic depression, I vote wicked hard for heart burn. If we are working an either or situation, which I don't think we are but still.

It's pretty terrible heartburn, to be fair, and not the kind I can just avoid by food avoidance (though I've been trying really hard all year anyway), but yeah, no real contest. Especially as it doesn't seem to be helping much anymore anyway, sigh. So tired of doctors. So even more tired of being brushed off by them. Still humiliated I had to get my father to call one to figure out what was going on with my prescription refill after getting the runaround for a week and a half. Still disturbed that it actually worked. Definitely holding that grudge for all time. I'll try to be more assertive, but god, it isn't easy...

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:10 am UTC

oh fuck.
I am so sorry.

That shit is still going on?
fuck.

You had to have a man speak for you.
That is Fucked Up!

I have had that.
It so pisses me off.

Not to my Doctor.
Fuck that Shit.

To a Doc it usually works the other way, for me.
I tell a woman. She tells the Doc, man or woman.
She usually stands there, to make sure we don't fuck it up.

I have had to have a man talk for me, loads.
I thought those days were over. We can talk.

I have approached a complete stranger and asked him to stand with me.
I tell him to agree with me. If he agrees, he gets a show and I get My Way.

I introduce him.
The other men look at him and I talk.

They listen! It is so weird.
But; It Works!

Not every time, but often.
You should not have to Do That!

This is the 21st Century!
I have no idea about how to deal with your medical issues.
I have no idea how to deal with a young women needing a man to speak for her, in 2014.

That shit was BullShit a hundred years ago.

Oh! I had an Idea!
Print out and take that Post.

At least you can talk to the Nurse about it.
If the Nurse steps in, it might be better than Dad.

Beware....Nurses are an opinionated group.
The nurse may have ideas of her or his own.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:22 am UTC

I think the housekeeper threw out my mooncup :(((((((((

It was wrapped in paper towel and lying on my dresser.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:03 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
Sungura wrote:amere: have you tried a mirena IUD? being local instead of systemic I didn't have moodswing issues, and it super slows / stops periods. That would be my idea. I can't handle systemic pills.

I've been thinking about it, and one good thing about the gyn I found, he seems super open to it-- I came home with like three brochures. At this point I'm just paranoid about what would happen if it didn't work better for me than the pills. I've kept getting the "Oh, you need to give it 3-4 months" thing from my doctors, even when I call in after three complete months saying I'm absolutely miserable. And I think Mirena they'd probably recommend giving it 5-6, I think I read? So I keep imagining still feeling this way, and calling in, and them telling me they'll maybe consider taking it out in a few more months if I'm surrrre I'm having problems, and I have serious concerns about being able to make it that long if I didn't feel better than I have been. Having to go through a gatekeeper before I can drop it makes me nervous. But it might work perfectly, I've heard a lot of people say it's the only thing that did after trying tons of pills. And I've heard people say that it didn't work for them either. And I really very much wish there were a way to tell beforehand which group you'd fall into. We need some goddamn testing for this shit. Sigh.

The 5-6 months for the Mirena is for stopping the periods totally usually it takes that long, because you have buildup of endometrium and it takes it a bit to get it all gone. Spotting is common for the first month or two but then it settles and periods get lighter and lighter, and usually what you have at 5-6 months is the amount of period you will have (hope that makes sense). I had roller coaster cramps for the first couple days which is really typical. The technique of the gyno for insertion makes a big difference...my first one the gal did a bunch of them, used lidocane (you don't have pain receptors, but the cramping causes pain, and lidocane stops that - seriously use the lidocane) and when you cough the cervix lowers and relaxes some, and she had me cough at certain points so it was easier to do the insertion. The second one, no lidocane, no coaching, very wham bam there done. It hurt a LOT that time, I won't lie. I was shocked at the difference. So def pick a gyno who has done a lot of insertions and has good bedside manner about it. And either way, I would have a ride home and nothing planned for the rest of the day just in case. First time wasn't that bad and I didn't need that, but the second time I did.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

I've started seriously considering getting a copper IUD, after too many months of playing the game of "am I seriously this emotional or is it the pill?". Right now anything I could do that might make me less sensitive sounds good, and being protected against pregnancy for years sounds nice too. I'm just really afraid of the insertion and of the monster cramps and bleeding that I've read tend to come with it. Especially since doctors in Austria are usually not very considerate (at least the men will generally not let me speak out in any context, usually interrupt me in the middle of a sentence and brush of any issues or suggestions I try to bring up), but maybe I can find a woman to do it. I guess I can take painkillers myself before the insertion, do you guys think that would help?

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:10 am UTC

Yes.
I have had experience with IUD's and I am not alone.
I think they are Wonderful!

I had a female MD insert mine.
She knew what she was doing.

It cramped, a little that day.
No trouble from it for... long time.

It never was any trouble.
I rarely gave it a second thought.

It pinched on the way out.
Take aspirin or something on That day.

I am not allergic to copper.
It seems someone that might have been related to me was.

I was OK! with that system.
I highly recommend it.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:40 am UTC

It's generally suggested that you take some advil or tylenol about an hour before the appointment. It's uncomfortable and painful but won't necessarily result in horrible cramps. Some people experience minor pain, some people it's really intense. I would say take the day off work or school and snuggle in bed just like if it was menstrual cramps. If you have the possibility of someone driving you, go for that.

I'm only really giving this many suggestions because you seem anxious. You may not need them. So more importantly relax and try to worry less.

If it helps to hear I took the bus there and back and while it hurt going in it was far from the worst pain I've experienced. I'd say it was comparable with really bad menstrual cramps. I also had the good fortune of a female Dr. who walked me through the procedure and was very gentle and kind. It really sucks that that may not be an easy option for you. If possible I never go to male Drs.

tl;dr I think you might be working yourself up and there's a good chance it's not gonna be as bad as you're afraid of. Take some advil ahead of time.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:32 am UTC

Thank you for your responses! :)

I'll call my gyno as soon as I get back to Vienna and get an appointment to talk about it. Will insist on having the female gyno and not the male one, though he's technically the "main gyno" there. I'm still not 100 % sure on the copper vs hormonal (another thing I considered is trying the nuvaring for a short while as I'd imagine it's sorta similar to the hormonal IUD in the way it works, and takes less effort), also considering I'm kinda anemic, but I'll talk to her about it and hopefully she'll give me some good advice (do think I'll end up with the copper one in the end).

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:18 am UTC

Anemic is so easy to fix.
As long as it's not a metabolic thing.

Iron Pills are Cheap.
Take them With meals!

If hormones make you scream and cry,
Why in the world would you consider another hormonal Blow to your system?

So funny.
Some people Like to be miserable.

Birth control pills are not the worse thing that ever happened to me.
It was a very strange experience for me.
I am fairly certain I am not the only one.

It was effective birth control.
I couldn't get pregnant.

I did not want to have sex.
That helps people not get pregnant.

No one in their Right Mind would have had sex with me.
I was more likely to vomit on a man that sex him up.

The IUD was Better.
None of that pesky Family Planning.

I was Imune!
I hope The Cure works for you, too.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

Well, I'm not actually sure if the pills are having side effects - it could just be that I simply am this sensitive (which is the scarier answer, but oh well, I guess everything can be worked on). I guess I might be more scared of pain than your average person, somehow.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:26 pm UTC

Apparently Anonymous wrote:Well, I'm not actually sure if the pills are having side effects - it could just be that I simply am this sensitive (which is the scarier answer, but oh well, I guess everything can be worked on). I guess I might be more scared of pain than your average person, somehow.

Thank the Gods of Modern Medicine, You can choose for your self.

I don't remember how much you must participate.
If the physical pain is your major concern, Modern Medicine can come to your rescue.

If you have a driver or an escort,
They can "Knock you out." or nearly so.

It is absolutely true, some people are unable to tolerate physical discomfort.
Personally, I don't like it.

A good Nurse hanging out with me and a pain pill half an hour before and I am good to go.
If those stupid pills were doing to you what they did to me, you would not ask The Internet.

Or; You are One Tough Broad....God...It's making me sick to my stomach to think of it....(gack)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:11 am UTC

addams wrote:Or; You are One Tough Broad....God...It's making me sick to my stomach to think of it....(gack)

I'm sorry the pill was so harsh to you :(

What it (potentially) does to me is nothing, really, I just cry much more than I'd like to.
Still, it'd be good to be sure that all of my reactions are "me" and not due to some hormone in my body making me different.
It's strange though, I started reading about the copper IUD in German today (seeing as I live in a German speaking country), and it's all a lot more negative in German, both people's "reviews" of it on foras and such and the doctor pages (even the Pearl Index is lower!).
I'm starting to suspect gynos around here might not be as experienced in inserting them (lots of stories of them falling out of place or people otherwise getting pregnant, which I've almost never read about in English), or that the kinds offered here aren't quite as effective (they don't offer Paraguard).

They do offer something else which is like a copper IUD but like a chain, the most well-known brand is Gynefix. It's supposed to even help with cramps because it's more flexible and adapts to the uterus a bit, and it seems to have a higher Pearl Index here. Maybe I'll get that one? I'll talk to my gyno about it. It's strange though, I have a hard time trusting doctors here.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:51 pm UTC

Are hot flashes common for mid-20's? Last few weeks I've been getting what I assume are hot flashes...periods of about 30 minutes to 2 hours of extreme heat/sweating like I have a high fever combined with sheer weakness and sometimes feverish type hallucinations especially if they happen at night then feverish dreams and such. This better not last for the next 20-30 years...

addams

Postby addams » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:02 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Are hot flashes common for mid-20's? Last few weeks I've been getting what I assume are hot flashes...periods of about 30 minutes to 2 hours of extreme heat/sweating like I have a high fever combined with sheer weakness and sometimes feverish type hallucinations especially if they happen at night then feverish dreams and such. This better not last for the next 20-30 years...

Fuck No!
Not for a woman in her Twenties!

Weakness and a little disassociation?
Get yourself to an MD, Dear.

Keep some kind of records.
The information you gave in that post is not enough to give the medical team boxes to check on the Lab Form.

You asked, "Is it common?"
The answer is, "No."

I have no idea what it is.
Maybe, you are, just, lucky.
It's winter and you are generating enough heat to share.

I, myself, have been ill, of late.
I did not understand why people complained about Night Sweats.
I understand, Now!

What a weird experience.
I wake up feeling icky.
I usually take off for the Loo before becoming completely awake.

I discover, "I am Wet!" "All Over!"
What is the problem with being Wet?
I am water proof. I won't melt.

Fuck! Because, It's Cold!
First, too hot.
Then, Freezing.
Fuck! I wanted to sleep!

Night Sweats Suck!
Do not start that nonsense at 20!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:07 am UTC

Found this, it is a nice interactive info for the various BC and compares perfect use with "typical use" (which is usually less than perfect, of course, people miss a pill, forget a condom, whatever) and incidence of unplanned pregnancy for both. Disclaimer: I did not background check where the source numbers are from.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:27 pm UTC

So I went and had the copper chain inserted!
The insertion was really painful - I had really bad stomach cramps (although according to my doctor that's not normal, he seemed very confused about it), and for at least 30 minutes after it I was just lying on the examination bench(?) and wincing and trying to breathe through it before I was able to even get up (also because I got really dizzy).
The pain killers eventually kicked in though, and after a couple of days I was fine (I still feel this very very light pain in my lower stomach, but it doesn't bother me). Hopefully this means my contraception for the next 5 years is ensured :)

LaSargenta

Postby LaSargenta » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

Diff topix: Data on Representation of Women in Movies

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... i?ref=card

I've kicked in for a project I think is worthwhile. I'm sure all on this thread (and the Board) know about the so-called Bechdel Test -- if you're interested, here's Ms. Dyke to Watch Out For herself writing about how it's morphed over the years: Bechdel Test -- and, well, this isn't it. Instead, this is an attempt by a film critic (MaryAnn Johanson, who, truth in advertising, I subscribe to) to quantify how the representation for better or worse actually goes down.

MAJ's open to suggestions about the scoring criteria ... she's updated the criteria quite a bit since the start of the Kickstarter ... and, even if you can't afford to be part of the supporters right now, I'd think that this would be a project worth keeping an eye on for the results. Passing it along to others who'd be interested and willing would also be good. I am lucky enough to have been able to support it somewhat generously, but, word of mouth is great currency and support, too.

Now, back to lurking. 8-)

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:31 pm UTC

So I'm wondering where the short ladies (like 5ft and under) here get their lingerie? I work in the sex industry and need to have a good selection of sexy things to wear. I've done okay on bras and panties but finding garter belts, corsets and thigh highs has been hell. What do?
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

spacefem

Postby spacefem » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:01 pm UTC

ladies this thread has been going quiet way too often lately!

Apparently congrats on the birth control :) I have a mirena IUD and will never go back to anything else, it is priceless to not have to think about it!

hey are any of you on twitter? I'm @spacefem - would love to find fellow lady geeks to follow.

LaSargenta

Postby LaSargenta » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:48 pm UTC

spacefem wrote:ladies this thread has been going quiet way too often lately!

Well, I tried a new topic -- I mean, who here doesn't love getting some data?! But, no one bit. :(

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 am UTC

spacefem wrote:Apparently congrats on the birth control :) I have a mirena IUD and will never go back to anything else, it is priceless to not have to think about it!

Thank you :)

On another note, do you guys know if I ought to worry about brown/pink discharge in the middle of my cycle? The internet tells me it can be there's something wrong, but I don't know if it's really something I should go to a gyno about. I assume it might just be blood from the copper chain insertion, but that's already two weeks back...so it seems a bit odd to me. No other symptoms except for potentially very light cramping.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:00 am UTC

I wouldn't worry much about it, it's probably just the result of a bit of irritation from the IUD.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:43 am UTC

I have had my copper IUD for a few years, and sometimes I still have mid-cycle spotting. If you are nervous about the IUD placement you can check for the strings and feel around a bit to make sure things are normal.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:41 pm UTC

Thank you for the answers! That calmed me down, I'll trust everything's fine then :) I'm going to the gyno to have a check up in January in any case, so that's also good to know. And yeah, I check the thread pretty frequently (I'm really happy to be able to check that myself), luckily with the Gynefix since it's fixed to the muscle it can't get pushed out of place or anything, so as long as it's there, it's in the right place.

UPDATE: So I was bleeding a little basically every day from the insertion of the IUD (which was during Shark Week) until about when Shark Week should have come, at which point I stopped bleeding entirely. I'm not currently on the 43rd day of my cycle according to Shark Week tracker, which is slightly scary, but I'm hoping it's just the IUD messing things up. I'm also having weird cramps every couple of days which I really hope will stop soon.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

So, I've got my final exams tomorrow, and they are face to face where it's just you and the examiner +/- patient. Should I wear makeup?

I don't generally wear makeup to go on the wards or anything, because I'm really too lazy, but not sure if I should do a small amount for tomorrow.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “General”