[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jauss

Re: Girl Thread: You make me feel like a natural womaaaan

Postby Jauss » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:19 am UTC

lowbart wrote:
CaraInFrames wrote: Any of the gentlemen here have an engagement ring or would have desire for said??

I invite anyone to stand up and contradict me, here, but I feel pretty safe in saying no.

One of my best friends has an engagement ring (gold band with a few little diamonds) because his wife proposed to him.
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:21 am UTC

Aleril wrote:EBONY AND IVORY LIVE TOGETHER IN PERFECT HARMONY.
SIDE BY SIDE ON THESE FINGERS, OH LORD WHY DONT WE?

Wiki if you still dont know what I am talking about.

So, you're a set of conjoined twins, one of whom looks highly European, the other looks African?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:36 am UTC

In my humble opinion, jewelry, clothes, flowers, and chocolates are really fucking useless gifts. Jewelry gets lost or you feel obligated to wear it all the fucking time, flowers DIE, and chocolates get eaten. Why not get something that REALLY shows you care, like a trip somewhere special together? At least then you have shared memories that last a lifetime, instead of something materialistic and useless. The only way I'd ever accept something traditionally "romantic" is if I could use it for more than looking good and it would last more than a goddamn week, otherwise you're just saying "I can't think of something that you'd actually use and enjoy, being unique, to give you, so I'm falling back on meaningless, sexist tropes." Seriously, buy me computer parts or a new gadget or maybe something I've been really needing, that shows you're paying attention waaay more than something cheesy.

One of the main things I hear stupid guys bitching about is how women "love wasting money on useless shit" and "care about material things." I guess they don't realize their LCD TVs and "keeping up with the Jones' " attitude is the same thing, right? Why do guys buy stuff that the most bitter, Nice Guy types of them whine about later? Seriously, go on /b/ for five minutes and just for a SECOND consider that maybe someone's being serious in those anti-women threads. Scary, huh? There ARE people like that!

litework

Postby litework » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:23 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:In my humble opinion, jewelry, clothes, flowers, and chocolates are really fucking useless gifts. Jewelry gets lost or you feel obligated to wear it all the fucking time, flowers DIE, and chocolates get eaten. Why not get something that REALLY shows you care, like a trip somewhere special together? At least then you have shared memories that last a lifetime, instead of something materialistic and useless. The only way I'd ever accept something traditionally "romantic" is if I could use it for more than looking good and it would last more than a goddamn week, otherwise you're just saying "I can't think of something that you'd actually use and enjoy, being unique, to give you, so I'm falling back on meaningless, sexist tropes." Seriously, buy me computer parts or a new gadget or maybe something I've been really needing, that shows you're paying attention waaay more than something cheesy.

Awww but what about the romance of it all? I would tend to agree with you, as I am very much anti-futile-and-useless-shit, but I have been softening of late (desperation?) ...wouldn't it be nice to have it ALL? Not necessarily the chocolates, but flowers are lovely and I adore jewelry but it HAS to be silver (ooh and I have a weakness for stuffed animals)... that stuff is totally worth it just for the gesture. I agree with the trip and useful gifts too, though. My ex was really good at that.

So, Santa: I will be a good girl aaaaaaaaall year if you can find me a guy who is simultaneously practical and impractically in love with me.

Just a thought but maybe I am setting myself up for frustration here :P
Question Without Fear

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:37 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:In my humble opinion, jewelry, clothes, flowers, and chocolates are really fucking useless gifts

Hey. Chocolate is DAMN good. If you think it's such a crappy gift, you can just send all of your chocolate to me, where it will be appreciated (and by appreciated I mean devoured).
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:41 am UTC

@Khonsu: I suppose it really depends on how you're looking at things. Jewelry means different things to different people, and different types of jewelry add myriad new combinations.

For example, to you and me a ring means approximately jack-all, to another it may be the ultimate symbol of love. Similarly, what I wear means the world to me, and others see it as nothing more than a fashion statement.

As for flowers and chocolate... absolutely.

And, I have no sense of romance. There was a little bit, which simply highlighted what actually happened.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:53 am UTC

litework wrote:Awww but what about the romance of it all?

I'm more of a words and action person than a stuff person. Romance, to me, is treating your lover EVERY DAY the way you'd treat them if you suddenly found out they only had six months to live. You two aren't co-dependent, but you're sweet, you know? Have a good time. Laughing at a great joke until we cry and then kissing sweetly is more romantic to me than, say, being given something. Sometimes, yes, gifts are awesome, but I suppose I associate gifts with exes or people I know who act like jerks one minute and then dote on their lover the next--feels slightly disingenuous. I know a lot of people like gifts, but my mom and I are kind of similar, though she actually gets physically ILL opening a present at Christmas. No one's bought her anything, ever, and she LIKES that. That I don't get, but I'd rather get a gift just 'cause than, say, a big "important" gift like a ring on an anniversary or something similar.

I dunno, even when I was a kid, I never really wanted anything, that I can remember. I liked books, and I think the only thing I ever really remember seeking out were beanie babies and a Tamagotchi, but only because I was teased for not having any, and I didn't like being teased. Whereas some of my friends' houses were messy with toys everywhere, my family had a lot of books, papers, and bits of invisible tape stuck everywhere. I don't know what the invisible tape was all about, but I fucking LOVED invisible tape as a kid. I stuck it everywhere, drawing or writing on it, and then I realized I could use it to make rudimentary books and little stick figures or something. I made a lot of things.

I was a weird kid.

And I like chocolate, I just don't like receiving it as a formal gift because then I feel weird eating it, especially if the other person won't eat it with me.

EDIT: Wait, I do like some flowers--if they're pressed or seedlings and I can plant and cultivate them. I can't have a garden right now, but I'd love to. I'm thinking of getting into bonsai, actually.

litework

Postby litework » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:07 am UTC

Beautifully put. Sooooo many things can be romantic, indeed. And gardening RULES - just the IDEA of cultivation of any sort, but especially in regards to nature. And love.
Question Without Fear

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:22 am UTC

I buy Chocolate as a gift, does that make me a sexist? I happen to think chocolate is a great gift, but maybe thats because I love chocolate.

I do agree with Khonsu though, gifts should be based not on "What women want", buy on what your woman wants. Of course the same goes for women, but I've been lucky with women that pay attention enough to know what I want/need, so I guess I cant complain.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:04 am UTC

I am male. If the lady proposed to me, I would gladly wear an engagement ring. Provided it wasn't a woman's engagement ring, anyway.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:13 am UTC

Alisto wrote:I am male. If the lady proposed to me, I would gladly wear an engagement ring. Provided it wasn't a woman's engagement ring, anyway.

Meh, I'd totally wear it even if it WERE a woman's engagement ring.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:38 am UTC

http://www.titaniumrings.com/ If the ring was from here, I could probably wear it. They make rings in my size (!!!), and they're AWESOME. SCIENCE RULES.

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:48 am UTC

deleted
Last edited by SilentSigil on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

litework

Postby litework » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:13 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:http://www.titaniumrings.com/ If the ring was from here, I could probably wear it. They make rings in my size (!!!), and they're AWESOME. SCIENCE RULES.

:o LOVE 'em! As a piercing enthusiast, I am elated they would match my other jewelry too, so I take it back about rings having to be silver.

Plus, when someone asks about the ring, saying it's "diamond treated AIRCRAFT-GRADE titanium" is just WAY too cool!
Question Without Fear

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:17 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:http://www.titaniumrings.com/ If the ring was from here, I could probably wear it. They make rings in my size (!!!), and they're AWESOME. SCIENCE RULES.

Very nice, the black titanium looks especially nice, I don't know why though.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:05 am UTC

Because it looks like hematite, and hematite is awesome (if very fragile when dropped D: )!

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:00 pm UTC

Looking at those rings, a couple of internet friends I know have just got engaged and that is where their rings must come from. I am not quite sure what type of ring I would like if I ever got engaged, but it would have to either be white gold or platinum, I am not a fan of yellow gold. However, whatever the ring looked like, it would be special, because it came from the person I loved and planned on spending a long time with, so the shape/size/cost of the diamond isn't what really matters.

This is my friend's ring. It is lovely and I like that the stones are flush with the band.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Wow... those are beautiful. This one's my favorite. This one is also quite cute...I'd end up playing with it all the time, I'm sure.

Edit: Annnnd, hehe, naturally they have a one ring replica.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

@Cara: I've got an engagement ring I need to get rid of. It's a three stone emerald cut, center stone is 3/4 carat, cathedral set with little diamonds covering the rest of the band.

@podbaydoor: Springfield, Missouri. And yeah I don't like that look either. That's one of those things I'm hoping to change about society if possible. But first I'll need to find other like minded people.

@everyone: The coolest wedding rings I've ever seen was a couple that had three bars tattooed on their ring fingers. It must have hurt like a motherbitch, but they are so sweet and rediculously in love and it fits them great. Mine was tungsten (And tungsten rocks... you CANNOT scratch it. Period.) so those are cool as well.
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

Khonsu wrote:In my humble opinion, jewelry, clothes, flowers, and chocolates are really fucking useless gifts. .... Why not get something that REALLY shows you care, like a trip somewhere special together?

... 'Cause chocolate cost like $20. Trips to somewhere special usually don't.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
Khonsu wrote:In my humble opinion, jewelry, clothes, flowers, and chocolates are really fucking useless gifts. .... Why not get something that REALLY shows you care, like a trip somewhere special together?

... 'Cause chocolate cost like $20. Trips to somewhere special usually don't.

Just don't give it to someone who is dieting. Hilarious Terrible things will come of it.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

jmrz wrote:Image

I *love* tension settings like the one in the middle.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
jmrz wrote:Image

I *love* tension settings like the one in the middle.

Same here, but it looks like it's going to fall out any minute.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

http://www.titaniumrings.com/blackgold/TzuzuB.html

I just dropped VIOLENT hints about that. With a black diamond. Because black diamonds are the shit!

"Dude, what the hell is that thing on your finger? It looks like a goddamn brick." "That's a chunk of aircraft-grade aluminum with a 24K gold inlay and a friggin' BLACK DIAMOND stuck in there by the SHEER POWER OF PHYSICS! Oh, what, you don't even have a girlfriend yet? You only god laid once because we helped you at that party? What are you doing looking at my ring finger? Trying to decide if you want to ask me out? Homo."

And that's actually just about how that conversation would go with one of my friends...
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

That ring looks awesome, wing. I would've almost bought it for myself if I was the ringwearing type.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Heather

Postby Heather » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

I have an engagement ring that I should probably get rid of. It's pretty traditional looking, but slightly different in that my ex-fiance had the setting brought down a bit, because he didn't want the diamond to get snagged on my knitting. :)

White gold. Like jmrz, I don't particularly care for yellow gold. He was going to opt for platinum, but it apparently was much more prone to visible scratches.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:13 am UTC

Aleril wrote:
Belial wrote:I *love* tension settings like the one in the middle.

Am I the only one thinking that the edges around the diamond look mighty sharp?
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Those titanium rings are fantastic. They're really simple and elegant, beautiful rings!

I actually have a girly question. My mom and I are making this dress for a formal, and it's backless. I have been lucky enough thus far to always be able to wear a strapless bra, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me about those stick on cups. Any preferences towards brands or experiences you can share would be awesome.

And how do I keep my date's hands off me? :wink: Just kidding.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:54 am UTC

sorry i can't help ya there, but i'm glad you asked. i've been curious about thsoe things as well. i assume there is a certain size limit at which they are simply not very effective, or effective at all, but i've never had occasion to try it out.

also - you should post pictures of the dress. i LOVE seeing what other people make ^_^

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:19 am UTC

Windmill wrote:Those titanium rings are fantastic. They're really simple and elegant, beautiful rings!

I actually have a girly question. My mom and I are making this dress for a formal, and it's backless. I have been lucky enough thus far to always be able to wear a strapless bra, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me about those stick on cups. Any preferences towards brands or experiences you can share would be awesome.

And how do I keep my date's hands off me? :wink: Just kidding.

The stick on cup thingers are great if you don't have huge amounts of boobage. You can also stick them in a couple of ways so that you have Oh me yarm CLEAVAGE or hardly any at all. They are all fairly similar in terms of brands, the set I have I paid $10AU for and they've lasted me for numerous occasions and still work. They are washable so you can use them again and they don't fall off, at least not in my experience.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:26 am UTC

@trophy wrote:
Aleril wrote:
Belial wrote:I *love* tension settings like the one in the middle.

Am I the only one thinking that the edges around the diamond look mighty sharp?

Yes, and that's why diamond swords work mighty well.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:35 am UTC

SilentSigil wrote:Mined by the blood and sweat of other humans, and made popular by the greedy and aristoctratic, then made scarce again by large companies for profit at the price of human lives...

NOT IF THEY'RE FROM CANADA, DAMMIT!

Plus, you get a microscopic polar bear engraved on your diamond if it is legitimately Canadian. How awesome is that?
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Thank you so much for that titanium rings link. I know now where my wedding band is coming from assuming, you know, I ever meet the right person and get married.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:45 am UTC

Ren wrote:
SilentSigil wrote:Mined by the blood and sweat of other humans, and made popular by the greedy and aristoctratic, then made scarce again by large companies for profit at the price of human lives...

Plus, you get a microscopic polar bear engraved on your diamond if it is legitimately Canadian. How awesome is that?

Eh to that!

(Canada is America's hat =3)

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:47 am UTC

Ren wrote:

ok that is cool. that makes me want a canadian diamond, jsut so i can bust out one of those inspection lenses and be all "hehe i have a polar bear!"

*edit to add* OH OH!

in soviet canada, polar bear rides around on YOU!

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Fossa wrote:Thank you so much for that titanium rings link. I know now where my wedding band is coming from assuming, you know, I ever meet the right person and get married.

Why wait? Just go get yourself some man-bling
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:24 am UTC

Belial wrote:
Fossa wrote:Thank you so much for that titanium rings link. I know now where my wedding band is coming from assuming, you know, I ever meet the right person and get married.

it might even help you meet "the right person". she's the one that doesnt eye the ring before she eyes you.

that didnt come out right but now i dont know what i was trying to say...

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:28 am UTC

Belial wrote:

My friend used to called it Man Jewlery.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:32 am UTC

Windmill wrote:TI have been lucky enough thus far to always be able to wear a strapless bra, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me about those stick on cups.

It is a fairly simple concept. There is a cup attached to a stick, with a string attached to a ball. You swing it around, trying to get the ball in the cup.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:34 am UTC

stick-on cup, not cup-on-stick =] but i laughed.

Return to “General”