[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hestia

Re: Woman thread - Is it as good for you as it is for me?

Postby hestia » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:14 am UTC

Hmm, I always dry shave in the shower.
I also enjoy candy corn quite a bit, clearly, I am a freak. :lol:
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:21 am UTC

That's just it! I used shaving cream and everything. Dry-shaving wreaks absolute havoc on my legs. I usually use a razor head three-ish times before discarding it. I apparently lost track of how many times I used this one, so the blade was dull. :(

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:35 am UTC

Candy corn is evil. It's got to be practically pure corn syrup, and it doesn't take much to make me feel sick, yet somehow I keep eating it.

Dry shaving isn't much fun either. I'll do it every now and then, mostly when I realize 30 seconds before I need to leave that I haven't shaved in two weeks and that my legs will be exposed, so I do a few perfunctory passes with a razor and hope no one looks too closely.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Flying Betty wrote:when I realize 30 seconds before I need to leave that I haven't shaved in two weeks and that my legs will be exposed
I think everyone has moments like that. My friend 'borrows' her father's electric razor when that happens.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Well, nice to know i'm still a freak. :-P I love candy corn, and if I don't have time to shave, boy gets to touch hairy legs. Honestly I'm starting to think that I could go for a month without shaving my legs and the boy wouldn't notice. The fact that I never ever wear skirts helps with this.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

hestia

Postby hestia » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Yea, I never wear shorts, even in the summer. So I don't shave my legs unless I have to wear my kilt for band. I generally forget though and end up just splashing water on my legs and shaving that way 30 minutes before call time.
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

I like candy corn and don't shave my legs.
No one has ever noticed my unshaven legs without me pointing out first, and I don't shower often enough to keep stubble off of 'em, so I just let it grow.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:01 am UTC

i can't dry shave without taking off more skin than hair, but i can use a pretty dull razor... i just shave with conditioner. :D

but i've never tried candy corn... *waits for the impending gasps of horror*
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:25 am UTC

You're not missing much, shiny.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:35 am UTC

When I was five, I ate a whole bowl of candy corn on Halloween, and now the smell makes me nauseous.

In other news, I've never tried dry shaving, but my sister bought one of these last summer...you don't need shaving cream; they're so awesome. :mrgreen:
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:07 am UTC

do you know if those heads will fit on a regular venus razor.. er.. stick part? because thats what i use but i dont want to buy a whole new one just to try those out.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:25 am UTC

I don't know from experience, but google says no.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:46 am UTC

damnit =(

today has been a rollercoaster. first day of girl week and its always hell. i've giggled like mad, cried quietly, cried loudly, raged and now i've leveled out at blissful daydreaming. i hope to stay at blissful daydreaming. maybe some more laughter. i will go look at lolcats now. lolcatherapy. it should be used. it works.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

shinybaby
In-Tents

Postby shinybaby » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:26 am UTC

oh, i'm *totally* going to use that!! lolcatherapy... you should get a patent!
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:23 am UTC

Delalyra wrote:When I was five, I ate a whole bowl of candy corn on Halloween, and now the smell makes me nauseous.

I did the exact same thing with a whole box of Whoppers, except I did end up throwing them all up. Years later, a single Whopper nearly made me puke again. Vomiting: strongest taste aversion trigger in nature. D:
You don't make them touch!

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:34 am UTC

Girl™ wrote:
Delalyra wrote:When I was five, I ate a whole bowl of candy corn on Halloween, and now the smell makes me nauseous.

I did the exact same thing with a whole box of Whoppers, except I did end up throwing them all up. Years later, a single Whopper nearly made me puke again. Vomiting: strongest taste aversion trigger in nature. D:

Happened to me with rum :(
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

You can train yourself out of those aversions. Just sometimes there really is no point.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I could go for a month without shaving my legs and the boy wouldn't notice.

Well, one month would actually be better than one week. Hair is much better than painful stubble.

(And I love candy corn.)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Gharbad wrote:You can train yourself out of those aversions. Just sometimes there really is no point.

It's also pretty damn difficult. Unlike most forms of operant conditioning, taste aversion conditioning generally only requires one instance to take hold, and little to no reinforcement after that point to remain in place.

One of my psych professors told me about an experiment once where they pumped a sheep full of vomit inducing chemicals and then let a pack of wolves loose on it. I think the conclusion was that the wolves refused to go near a sheep ever again. They actually shied away from a sheep when it was presented to them, as though they were afraid of it.

Of course, the longer between "eat" and "vomit", the weaker the aversion is, so mileage may vary.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

wst

Postby wst » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

Belial wrote:They actually shied away from a sheep when it was presented to them, as though they were afraid of it.

Don't blame those wolves. Being copiously vomited upon by a sheep is incredibly scary.

Oh, they killed the sheep first. Silly me :oops:
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:00 am UTC

Flying Betty wrote:Dry shaving isn't much fun either. I'll do it every now and then, mostly when I realize 30 seconds before I need to leave that I haven't shaved in two weeks and that my legs will be exposed, so I do a few perfunctory passes with a razor and hope no one looks too closely.

This was done today in a fit of panic before my bellydancing class. That was a silly idea because now..THE INFERNAL ITCHYNESS.

Also, i'm going to throw in a random, appreciative thumbs up for this thread. It's so nice to have a place to vent about GirlStuff and from reading back, i've picked up a few tips too. Huzzah for woman-kind!
i dare you to take me on...

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:12 am UTC

Belial wrote:
Gharbad wrote:You can train yourself out of those aversions. Just sometimes there really is no point.

It's also pretty damn difficult. Unlike most forms of operant conditioning, taste aversion conditioning generally only requires one instance to take hold, and little to no reinforcement after that point to remain in place.

One of my psych professors told me about an experiment once where they pumped a sheep full of vomit inducing chemicals and then let a pack of wolves loose on it. I think the conclusion was that the wolves refused to go near a sheep ever again. They actually shied away from a sheep when it was presented to them, as though they were afraid of it.

Of course, the longer between "eat" and "vomit", the weaker the aversion is, so mileage may vary.

Poor sheep, I think we may have a new weapon against raptors though. Now we just need some volunteers... :twisted:

Happily, my stomach is pretty good at going "stop now" before I actually start to get sick, so by the time everything settles I'm thinking "glad I didn't eat more". Candy corn is pretty bad on the list though, I can only eat a handful or so before I get the "don't eat more of this shit or else" feeling. It's nice that my brain self regulates my stupidity by candy (or any other food generally). :mrgreen:

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:32 am UTC

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED SINCE IT MADE NO SENSE AT ALL.
v0.1:
I could have done without the hormones last week (since I think there may be some underlying issues and I'm more tearful and moody than normal all the time, esp during PMS); but I am happy to report that girlweek is rather behaving itself.

On a vaguely related note, I realised this month how this thread has made me more aware of the unfortunate side-effects of the absorbancy of tampons where insertion comfort is concerned. I may have to start seriously considering looking into this cup thing.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

Belial wrote:

Well now I know why I went from "happily eats shrimp" to "sweats as if she has some horrible disease and feels nauseous/headachey from consuming something with shrimp juice on it" from one instance of food poisoning.

This aversion moved on to a few kinds of fish and shellfish too, so I mostly just avoid most fishy food. (luckily, sushi doesn't make me sick enough to deter me from eating the more fishy varieties...)

It makes me wonder how bolemic people can be that way, but I guess it's cause something in their head is already broken as it is...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

People are fascinating. And awesome.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

Definitely, once you eat bad seafood it is so hard to want to eat seafood again. Same with soft cheeses - I had a bad Brie once and I won't eat Brie now to save myself.

As for shaving, I had to shave for the first time in about six weeks, and my hair was only a couple of weeks off being long enough to wax. :( Good thing we're heading into winter now, I can get it waxed a few times then.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Sigh... I really should wax. Never done it before (other than eyebrows). I'm not looking forward to it.

shinybaby
In-Tents

Postby shinybaby » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

oh, i find waxing my eyebrows *much* more painful than waxing my legs... but i have to have both done professionally because i bruise so easily (and i'm a touch clumsy. not a good mix!)
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

I think mostly the reason that taste aversion is so hard to break is because of it's evolutionary purpose. While we may know that certain foods when prepared aren't going to be bad for us, our bodies take natural steps to keep us alive, and part of that has to do with making sure what we eat doesn't kill us. It's so hard to break because it so clearly is a matter of life of death (or so the body sees it).

EDIT: Because I actually had something to say about shaving and got sidetracked. That is: Hairy legs don't bother me. Maybe I was desensitized by my hippie ex-girlfriend, but hair on a girls legs doesn't freak me out or anything.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:52 am UTC

I'm superblonde and have quite fine hair so I can get away without shaving for months, not that I do that very often (like, only when I'm on field work or expeditions) because I like having unhairy legs/otherbits. I tend to find that guys don't actually notice or care much either way... :)
Super smooth legs are an advantage when I'm fighting, since I gets all sweaty (gross) and no one can get a grip.

What's candy corn? I don't think it's made it to this side of the atlantic....

Zak

Postby Zak » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:01 am UTC

Candy corn:

Spoiler:

Spoilered for bad yuck food
*waggles eyebrows*

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:08 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Candy corn:

Spoiler:

Spoilered for DELICIOUS AWESOMENESS food

Okay, how can you not like sugar mixed with fake flavor mixed with crack cocaine (which I can only assume is in those)? Candy Corn is delicious stuff.

shorty

Postby shorty » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:17 am UTC

Candy corn is the best. It tastes even better in its sugary amazing-ness when you try to eat it so you only get one color at a time. *runs off to the store to go buy some candy* :lol:

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:25 am UTC

crowey wrote:I'm superblonde and have quite fine hair so I can get away without shaving for months, not that I do that very often (like, only when I'm on field work or expeditions) because I like having unhairy legs/otherbits.

Yeah, I am the same. I don't often have to shave, I just like to shave. But my hair is sparse enough that if I get it waxed just a few times it will probably stop growing, particularly on my thighs - I never even bother shaving there because the hair is so fine and patchy. So it'll be good to grow it out and wax it while it's winter, especially if Switch is going to be away for three months - not that he minds if I have hairy legs, but I'd rather not. Not looking forward to it though. I think I'll go to a beautician, because I am a wuss and have so far been unsuccessful in ripping out massive amounts of my own hair. :P

I've only ever tweezed my eyebrows. They're pretty perfectly shaped naturally so I only need to tweeze a little bit to stop a couple of hairs growing in towards my brow, and I hardly ever bother doing that. So I do not know the pain that is eyebrow waxing. Sounds awful, though. :(

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:45 am UTC

bbctol wrote:

Spoiler:

Okay, how can you not like sugar mixed with fake flavor mixed with crack cocaine (which I can only assume is in those)? Candy Corn is delicious stuff.

You should be in advertising, that stuff sounds amazing :mrgreen:

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:10 am UTC

crowey wrote:
bbctol wrote:

Spoiler:

You should be in advertising, that stuff sounds amazing :mrgreen:

It is actually pretty good. Just don't be an ididot and eat a whole bowl if it. You will regret it. :P

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

shorty wrote:It tastes even better in its sugary amazing-ness when you try to eat it so you only get one color at a time.

I'm a bit confused here. Are there actually people who eat it any other way than one color at a time? That's BIZARRE!

elephantitis

Postby elephantitis » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:22 am UTC

I can't so much as smell cheesecake without wanting to puke. =(

I loved it when I was a kid, but I attempted to make it myself in my freshman year of high school... didn't turn out too well.

And: POOR SHEEP! =(((
"All I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

koneko

Postby koneko » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:26 am UTC

what sheep?
ImageImage

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:31 am UTC

Here we go... thinking sheep have feelings.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Return to “General”