[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Woman thread - Is it as good for you as it is for me?

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:59 am UTC

koneko wrote:what sheep?

The one you think about fisting, perhaps?

Edit: nice, the new page starts with sheepfisting. Can we get back to something nice and wholesome like yeast infections?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

koneko

Postby koneko » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:56 am UTC

heh... i keep forgetting i have that there... ^_^'

so yeah, yeast infections... never had one.
ImageImage

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:44 am UTC

What is your avatar from anyways?

I haven't had a yeast infection since I was 7 or 8. Lasted a day or two, wasn't fun.

koneko

Postby koneko » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:46 am UTC

from iunno. funland.
ImageImage

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:42 am UTC

That avatar is a little NSFW, though... or is that just me paranoid about people seeing me browse the fora instead of working?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:59 am UTC

It's a 100x100ish gif image that has no description to go with it. It won't be noticed by most roving eyes, and won't be blocked by any known filter.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

koneko

Postby koneko » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

i fail to see what is objectionable about my avatar. is it the skeleton?
ImageImage

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Well, most people don't like getting caught looking at animations depicting the methamphetamine-induced fisting of sheep, especially at work. The cat skeleton was a nice touch, though.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

koneko

Postby koneko » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

oh... i thought everyone did that?
ImageImage

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:46 am UTC

koneko wrote:oh... i thought everyone did that?

You're not the only one.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:16 am UTC

As so very many people have died after being sodomized by horses, I could only assume that sheepfisting is more common.

Clearly, you're not doing much out of the usual whilst on meth.

Now back to girly issues.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:17 am UTC

indeed. more girly issues!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:14 am UTC

Lately I've had really sensitive skin along with other things, talking about skin seems girly so I'll talk about that.

I'm not showing any signs of rashes or redness my skin looks the same as it always has, but I constantly feel like I'm being rubbed raw all over. Parts of me that come in contact with my shirt or the desk are especially sore.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making this go away besides taking a cold shower, or what might be wrong with me? I'm kind of worried, because I've been feeling really sluggish and appetite less for the past week or so too, but I don't want to see a doctor without a really good reason, because I'm really really tight on money at the moment.

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:38 am UTC

There's this stuff...
It's kinda like calamine lotion(which may help) but its not...
Crap. If I think of the name I'll let you know.

koneko

Postby koneko » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:30 am UTC

you may have developed an allergy to a fabric you're wearing. i know a girl who is allergic to polyester, so yes it is possible.
ImageImage

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

koneko's advice sounds good, as I do not believe hypersensitivity develops late in life or comes and goes.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

I think hypersensitivity can develop if you're introduced to a new antigen that your body has not encountered before. And I know you can eventually "grow out of" your allergies (though I don't know how this happens).

It's also possible that other diseases/conditions can induce hypersensitivity to certain antigens (I think, I'm just making up shit from the top of my head so don't take this as fact).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

I react to things sometimes, but not all the time. Its very random for me.
What I did notice though was after I rolled my car a year ago my skin became very very sensitive for the next couple of weeks. Foolishly I found that out by using nair and subsequently burning myself with it :( (I've avoided it since lol). But every once in a while I will just start having allergies to our kitty, or I'll get a bad nickel reaction to something I am wearing, or I will just get hives for no discernible reason.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:34 am UTC

My skin only gets sensitive when I'm coming down with some sort of illness. It's usually the first symptom, so it's kind of nice to have early warning.

On a different note, this thread needs a newt idol too.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:44 am UTC

I think our Newt Idol should be Andrias scheuchzeri.

But you know how the saying goes,

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Yay for me making it all the way to the Girl/Woman thread ^^ I started reading somewhere mid-Jan and I finished it just a minute ago, then went registering :)

First of all: I feel I got to know all of you very well while I was reading through this thread (referred between my best friend and me as "The Thread") and as I should probably be off to a forum or thread which was designed for an introduction, I feel obliged to introduce myself to the Woman Thread first. I think it is "awesomesauce" ;)

Hello dear Girl/Woman Thread,
I am 23 year old female, Dutch by origine (so no native speaker here) living in Britain for study reasons (and possibly staying). I enjoyed reading all your posts (well I read almost all of them) and I have some things to say about a couple of things that aren't ridiculously way back (say - from page 157, which I reckon is a hell way back but anyway).

P. 157: by PictureSarah on Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:13 am UTC
[concerning anal sex] Maybe someday I will. I haven't put it on the "not EVER gonna happen" list. But I also don't see a lot of value in continuing to attempt something that, for me, triggers panic attacks and flashbacks to rapes. It seems sort of masochistic, particularly when I really enjoy plain old vaginal intercourse. If I ever have a partner to whom it is very important to try, I will, for his sake.

I am really sorry to read you had some bad experiences with sex. Victim here too, I can relate. What I found really helpful is not to be frightened on trying something you've had bad experiences with with your SO or someone you really trust. It really helps the bad associations fade, and after a while it's not a trigger anymore, except when you think back of that particular experience. Please do take all the time you need, and do NOT just do it because your partner is really dying to try it. Do it because you're curious yourself.

p 163: by Moo on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:06 pm UTC
I think I may have orgasmed in my sleep last night. In a very undramatic kinda way.
Please tell me someone can relate.

Yay for saying that! I can totally relate ^^ they're nice, but since I take AGES to orgasm, they're pretty intense when it happens, and when orgasming during sleep, it's nothing near that kind of spectacular. I tend to have them when I can't masturbate for a fairly long time.

p. 199: by Elenion on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:41 pm UTC
My experience with men and babies is that if they never had their own, they're scared of them because hey don't know what to "do" with them sorta..^^

I'm terrible with kids. I don't understand them, I have no idea what to do with them and usually, when I can get away with it, I just ignore them. It's not a dislike (unless they weren't taught any manners) but general cluelessness. I can relate once they've turned like, 10 or so. I call myself childfree, because I decided it's not the thing for me. When I said that at 16 everybody (mum) laughed , now actually people (mum ^^) do take me seriously (except for my SO's mother - but I consider that her problem).

P. 199: by Meaux_Pas on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:40 am UTC
I have this problem, where I will pick something up while cleaning my room, say to myself, "Oh, I will put this here" and place it somewhere, and I can distinctly remember doing this, but I can't goddamn remember WHERE 'here' was.

Oh me yarm that is SO me that it really scared me when I read that! Additive note: I also remember putting it 'there' because that seemed like the perfecte sensible spot to put it, while it had been lingering around my room for ages and I could always find it in my junk.

p 225: by Kineticka on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:54 am UTC
Quick question, ladies: When taking antibiotics, yogurt is supposed to help ward off yeast infections, right? Because ever since starting my medicine, I've been having yogurt daily -- and guess what I woke up with today.

What Moo posted afterwards was a great clue! I used to have UTI's all the time and a yeast infection that just would *not* dissolve (probably because I was taking antibiotics every 3 months or so). After putting up with the itching for ages, once a while putting in a tampon with yoghurt really helped solve the itching problem. It also helps if you eat less sugar (which I really couldn't do being addicted to chocolate).

Bra & bc stuff: I also have a slightly uncomfortable size 32E, and no real money, being a student, to buy lots of good-fitting comfortable bras.
BC has changed my boobs slightly, I took the pill for a year which made my boobs grow one and a half cupsize and also made me terribly ill, then I quit and they dropped one size (notice they were still half a size bigger than they were before). After a year and a half I started using Nuvaring, which I adored, and made my boobs grow a cupsize again (and made them feel terribly painful too!!). After a year of Nuvaring, since mentioned childfreeness I decided to go for hormonal IUD. Since then, almost no girlweek for me anymore, except for a few nasty weird cramps once in a while, and sometimes three drops of blood for which I don't even have to wear a pad (free bleeding ftw :P). Getting the IUD in by a (female) doctor was TERRIBLY PAINFUL though, and left me heavily cramping (as if I were about to give birth - it seriously was THAT bad and made me cry and crawl even though I had taken some serious prescripted painkillers). This lasted only for one day, and no monthly mess is worth all the pain and occasional heavy cramps I got for a good 3 months. To come back to the boob theme, since IUD consists of less hormones, my boobsize dropped half a size again.

tl;dr: Woman thread is awesome :D

That, and I hope not too many stupid errors and wrongly used words. When it comes to English I'm not even close to being excellent, which I really want. And actually, thanks to xkcd, I have been able to improve my English language skills greatly ^^
Last edited by Artemisia on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This too shall pass

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:29 am UTC

You had very few mis-used words for a post of that size :)

One thing though, on the children part, it's they weren't taught any manners, not thought.
*waggles eyebrows*

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:05 am UTC

thanks :) and fix'd. I knew that, actually, but it's almost 6AM here, so I think I made that error because I am SO tired!

ALso, I wanted to ask the Woman Thread something that hasn't come up in specifics before: Do you girls actually shave your underarms?
I feel a bit self-conscious about them, but since my mum told me not to shave off everything I tend to keep the razor away from my upper legs and underarms. I'm light-brunette-ish so it's not really bad, but it IS a fair deal noticable.
This too shall pass

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:26 am UTC

I have my underarms waxed (shaving there gave me a rash) but I grew up in a societial paradigm where women shave their armpits, period; so my view is probably skewed by that. The main reason I do is because I hate how much more quickly I get sweat patches and my body odour becomes noticable when I have underarm hair. I HATE when I can smell my own body odour. HATE HATE HATE. It's just a thing I have.

OH and hello and welcome!
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

I shave my armpits as well, and I only sweat and smell a bit if i don't put on deodorant (like on a lazy sunday I sometimes never get dressed and can't be bothered).
But my underarms don't sweat nor smell. They only look slightly... hairy :s but because I never shaved them the hairs are soft and small. I would like to shave if I knew they'd come back just as small and non-feelable like now, but from experience, I know they don't. I know it has been covered that shaving doesn't effect the thickness of hairs, but it actually does make a difference in how they feel and how long they grow if you shave them regularly.
I'm not that hairy anyway. Just curious. I never notice someone's underarms being hairy or not, but my female friend (dark haired) once told me she shaved her underarms and I was surprised that apparently women were expected to shave that too :roll:
This too shall pass

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

Shaving does change the way hair looks when it comes back (it doesn't change the hair, no, but it changes the way it looks on the outside). Waxing doesn't, but it does hurt at first and cost a bit more to have it done (I suck at doing it myself at that angle).

Myself, if given the choice of shaving and having the stubble or just leaving light, thin hairs as they are, I would leave them too. Waxing is still my favourite option though.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:I shave my armpits as well, and I only sweat and smell a bit if i don't put on deodorant (like on a lazy sunday I sometimes never get dressed and can't be bothered).
But my underarms don't sweat nor smell.

Is it possible you mean something other than "underarm"? Because "armpit" and "underarm" are the same thing, I think...
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

I have hyperhydrosis (self-diagnosed, but I sweat so much I'm pretty sure I'm right ;) ), and when I don't shave my armpits it gets disgusting, and looks gross.

Ladies, anyone else find that hair grows an different rates on different parts of your legs? My thighs stay pretty smooth for two or three days, but my calves, I swear, get a five o'clock shadow.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

yeah. My mym really had some awesome advice about girly things :D I actually told a female friend who was over 30 and she had no idea!
For the same reason, I would NEVER wax or shave my upper lip. There is hair there, but it doesn't show at all, unless you watch my profile on a sunny day maybe.
I do occasionally have a very long hair on top of my nose (almost white thin and unnoticable unless profile-sunny thing) and I recently found a ridiculously long hair (>2 cm) halfway my neck. THAT was awkward!

Also, I remember my mum once showing me a good position to put in a tampon. I began with an applicator but tampons without them are much smaller, and sometimes I had to use whatever was left in the cupboard, so I learned how to use them without applicator. I actually made a female friend using one (with applicator). Her mum was not as awesome as mine ^^

about the underarm thing. It's forearm. I'm terribly sorry :oops:
This too shall pass

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:about the underarm thing. It's forearm. I'm terribly sorry

No need to apologize, just wanted to make sure you were saying what you wanted to say. :)
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

So! Now that it's clear that i meant FOREARM, do the ladies agree about shaving/not shaving? I go for not shaving unless it looks and feels really terribly hairy.

I shave my calves and my armpits, and the lady parts almost entirely (leaving just a little bit in a nice shape not to let me feel like a child). The rest is blonde and you'd never notice. I believe (not stating this is true) that the more you shave the faster it grows, but I cannot confirm that with any evidence, just own experience.
This too shall pass

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

The rate of shaving has nothing to do with the rate of growth.

As for shaving forearms.. that's.... I don't see why one would do it, outside of a profession that essentially requires it, like competitive body building. But, whatever, I guess.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

well, it's hair, and I'm a girl. Fashion is that woman have no body hair. I can't be bothered to shave it all, but if somebody would ask me to sign up for no body hair at all for the rest of my life, I'd sign.

But I seriously never thought about shaving forarms before my friend told me about it. What are your thoughts about it Belial? If you shave *everything*, doesn't that take you ages to maintain?

concerning rate of shave =/= rate of growth: fair enough. Maybe it has to do with location: calves are less likely to feel the pressure of clothing like jeans unless it's a skinny fit. And I don't shave my thighs, only around the lady zone.
This too shall pass

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

Unless there's a very good reason to (such as excessive hair making you very selfconscious) I don't think most women do and I certainly don't shave my forearms.

On the subject of shaving making hair thicker: no, it doesn't. However, as this Snopes article points out:
Snopes wrote:Another reason for the belief resides with the naturally finer ends of uncut hair: compare the end of a long-lived hair with that of a hair recently cut or shaved, and you'll see the one is thicker than the other.
So while shaving does not change the thickness of hair, it removes the naturally tapered tip leaving the thicker shaft as the start of the hair when it grows back, which does cause it to be a little thicker than an unshaved hair at least in stubble stages. However this is not a cumulative effect.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

I don't shave my arms, because the hair is entirely not noticable, I wouldn't shave my legs if I didn't think I had to, but I have known a lot of girls who had excessive dark arm hair to shave them. Unless it's something that makes one terribly self-conscious I can't really see a good reason for doing it.

...and I just got ninja'd by moo.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

(he he he, sorry Meaux)

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

I should shave my arms. Or more specifically wax them.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

When I first started shaving my legs, I thought it was an awesome idea to shave my arms, too, so they'd be all smooth. Then my mom and sister were like, "WTF? Why would you do that? It'll just get stubbly and make it look thicker." So I never did it again. I've heard of women bleaching or waxing arm hair if it's really thick or dark. But stubble on arms looks really weird.

crowey wrote:I'm superblonde and have quite fine hair so I can get away without shaving for months, not that I do that very often (like, only when I'm on field work or expeditions) because I like having unhairy legs/otherbits. I tend to find that guys don't actually notice or care much either way... :)

Oh, but don't you know?! You need to shave your WHOLE BODY, just in case an unflattering, backlit picture of you makes it onto the interwebs! :roll: http://www.yeeeah.com/blog/2008/03/11/n ... s-edition/

God, I loathe gossip sites.
You don't make them touch!

shorty

Postby shorty » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

I like my arm hair, I'd never shave it, but i know someone who waxed there once, it does feel nice and smooth. I guess it would feel a bit weird growing back though, having stubble on your arms (is that really weirder than having stubble on your legs though?). Shaving armpits is a necessity, I think I sweat and smell more if I don't. Like someone pointed out, it really is a cultural thing. In north america it's more required to shave them, I feel awkward wearing tank tops when I have hair there, and nice and clean when I don't.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

WHY THE FUCK DID I HAVE TO READ THE COMMENTS!!

brb - gonna jab pencils into my ears until I poke out the parts of my brain that remember that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “General”