[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lorenith

Re: Woman thread - Is it as good for you as it is for me?

Postby lorenith » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:21 am UTC

Belial wrote:

You are clearly the hypothetical person I am paranoid about.

For some reason I have a feeling you wash often enough that those of us with a good sense of smell won't be smelling anything bad from you, unless you fart, or use too much of some stinky soap or cologne.

Z.A.K wrote:On the topic of scents: do you girls actually like those flowery scents, or do you just spray them around so you can torture me?*

I'm not sure, my roommate is one of those crazy ones that likes to make the room smell stupid. She sprays LYSOL of all things obsessively (she seems to like the smell but doesn't understand it's a disinfectant not a smelly spray thing so she must spray it constantly since the smell doesn't hang around), even though she's almost never in here, and she leaves all these horrid smelly cone things (those ones make my eyes sting sometimes). I pretty much have been sick constantly the whole time since she's moved in from all the chemicals she's subjecting me to.

I know you're only half serious, but I don't think it's all girls, the problem is it's one insane girl that goes crazy with it, and it seems like it's a million girls.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:26 am UTC

i'm more of an oils kind of person. i like vanilla and sandalwood, dragonsblood and patchouli (yes i'm a dirty, dirty hippy) but i don't go overboard with it. what a lot of people realize is that with stuff like that, a TINY TINY TINY bit goes a very long way.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:32 am UTC

Sandalwood is one of my favorite scents, but those generic flower-death sprays nearly knock me unconcious.
*waggles eyebrows*

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:32 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:i'm more of an oils kind of person. i like vanilla and sandalwood, dragonsblood and patchouli (yes i'm a dirty, dirty hippy) but i don't go overboard with it. what a lot of people realize is that with stuff like that, a TINY TINY TINY bit goes a very long way.

Hey, me too! My favorite oil is tangerine, or maybe lemongrass. I like the fresh clean ones that feel like I just ate an orange or something. It doesn't feel fake or chemical.

Though honestly, I don't actually use oils that much. I reputedly smell very good, but it generally comes from stuff like my lip balm (tangerine), or my hand lotion or shampoo (both mint). That way the smells are subtle and not room-invading and weird.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:34 am UTC

liza wrote:You can go days without showering and not feel disgusting? I skip one day and begin to feel icky.
If I'm camping, I can go days without showering, no worries. Normally, though, I do feel icky. But the ickyness is related to perceived dirtiness, rather than time-since-last-shower. In the middle of winter, I could go a couple days without a shower and feel fine.
So a few said, no cologne / minor cologne, which was my impression. But I'm kinda confused by this:
sophyturtle wrote:Natural smell is best. Not only by me, but by Science. Really, the others are fun but nothing gets the on for the turning like natural smell.
What is natural smell? I associate smelling clean with smelling faintly of soap and similar products.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:35 am UTC

i dont use them often either. Lemongrass eh? that sounds wonderful... do you know of any online shops i could find more wearable oils at? i find ones for room scenting all the time, but not many made for skin.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:42 am UTC

On cologne: I don't mind a bit of cologne, but between boy deodorants, boy hair products and boy shampoo there is probably enough nice smell without adding boy cologne.

On perfume oils: I love them. I don't know if you guys have the Body Shop over there, parka, but they've got stacks. I have tea rose, some flowery thing called spa wisdom and moonflower. Tree Of Life used to have frangipani, water lily and lemongrass, I loved those too. But in my experience you don't need specially developed perfume oil, you can dab on just any essential oil. Essential oils should be easy enough to find.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:05 am UTC

I don't like flowery perfumes but I do like a fresh, citrussy scent. I loooove Issey Miyake's L'eau d'Issey. Or however you spell that. I use perfume like make-up: for special occassions or when I want to feel pretty. Hubby said something once about me smelling like "me", and when I asked him what that was he said a mixture of smells from shampoo, body wash, hair products, body cream, face cream and laundry detergent. I gathered it was the number and ununiformity of the smells that made me smell like "me", rather than any of the smells themselves. I still can't tell if that's a good thing or not.

As I mentioned earlier, a very feint body smell (not odour, but smell) from a boy is probably chock full of pheromones and, for me at least, conjures up images of rugged boys with no shirts chopping wood or some such, with a fine film of sweat glistening on their skin...

As with some girls, some men just don't realise that you grow used to the smell you're wearing quickly and don't smell it yourself so they keep putting it on until they can smell it. I've got a colleague who works from home most days but you can tell when he does come into the office, cause you can smell hime a mile away. That's not good. Don't do this boys.

Hubby wears Issey Miyake por homme sometimes (not often at all) - and no that's not because we wear matching scents, this is entirely coincidental, that was both of our scents of choice before we even met. Insert nausiating gush about how much we have in common here. He smells heavenly when he does. I don't like it more than just the smell of him after a shower, but it makes a nice change now and again.

Ooh and crushes! A bit predictable, I'm afraid... Here they are, in order of increasing cringeworthyness:
Macgyver;
Fox Mulder from the X Files;
Howie from the Backstreet Boys;
and probably many more I can't think of right now.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:23 am UTC

Moo wrote:As I mentioned earlier, a very feint body smell (not odour, but smell) from a boy is probably chock full of pheromones and, for me at least, conjures up images of rugged boys with no shirts chopping wood or some such, with a fine film of sweat glistening on their skin...

i think of climbing trees or rocks, rather than chopping wood. but yeah :3

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:38 am UTC

Moo wrote:Ooh and crushes! A bit predictable, I'm afraid... Here they are, in order of increasing cringeworthyness:
Macgyver;
Fox Mulder from the X Files;
Howie from the Backstreet Boys;
and probably many more I can't think of right now.

Of course Macgyver. Him and David Tennant are like the only guys I would do.
In an entirely manly way.

*ahem* steak, beer, BBQ, big trucks with huge wheels and boobs. [/reaffirming manhood]
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:42 am UTC

no david bowie? wow. thats usually the initial go-to for man crushes, at least amongst the guys i'm friends with.

i didnt list him in mine because i figured it was a given.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:15 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:i dont use them often either. Lemongrass eh? that sounds wonderful... do you know of any online shops i could find more wearable oils at? i find ones for room scenting all the time, but not many made for skin.

black phoenix alchemy labs is a bit of a maze but there's some really nice stuff, I think they might all be blends rather than one oil, but you can search by ingredient.

I went to the consultant today, I'm booked in for an MRI. I've nver had an MRI before, I'm trying to concentrate on the interesting new experience part, rather than the Oh god my knee is knackered part.....

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

And now for making everyone feel bad:

I'm allergic to most scents. Both perfume and eau de toilette. Oils aren't too bad, but those other two offenders attempt to strangle me from the inside.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

Moo wrote:I don't like flowery perfumes but I do like a fresh, citrussy scent. I loooove Issey Miyake's L'eau d'Issey. Or however you spell that. I use perfume like make-up: for special occassions or when I want to feel pretty. Hubby said something once about me smelling like "me", and when I asked him what that was he said a mixture of smells from shampoo, body wash, hair products, body cream, face cream and laundry detergent. I gathered it was the number and ununiformity of the smells that made me smell like "me", rather than any of the smells themselves. I still can't tell if that's a good thing or not.
As far as he's concerned, it's a very good thing. Changing it would be bad as you wouldn't smell like you anymore, but now that he's brought it up, if you did change it it's likely he wouldn't mention it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

crowey wrote:
parkaboy wrote:i dont use them often either. Lemongrass eh? that sounds wonderful... do you know of any online shops i could find more wearable oils at? i find ones for room scenting all the time, but not many made for skin.

black phoenix alchemy labs is a bit of a maze but there's some really nice stuff, I think they might all be blends rather than one oil, but you can search by ingredient.

I went to the consultant today, I'm booked in for an MRI. I've nver had an MRI before, I'm trying to concentrate on the interesting new experience part, rather than the Oh god my knee is knackered part.....

oh my goodness, those look DELICIOUS.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:i'm more of an oils kind of person. i like vanilla and sandalwood, dragonsblood and patchouli (yes i'm a dirty, dirty hippy) but i don't go overboard with it. what a lot of people realize is that with stuff like that, a TINY TINY TINY bit goes a very long way.

Oils are amazing. They sell them in a store down the street from me, I love going in and smelling them.

Also incense, especially Spring Rain. I don't burn it often but when I do I love it.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

I don't like stronger perfumey scents anymore. There was a time when I absolutely loved scented hand lotion, but once I started getting some interesting skin problems on my hands (not from the lotion, but it was eliminated as a possible cause anyway) I stopped using scented lotion altogether. Now just using scented lotion makes my sinuses squirm uncomfortably, and people who are strongly scented for one reason or another have similar effect.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

I'd love to try some of the perfumes from BPAL...they're expensive, but they sound awesome. (edit: durrr, ninja'd.)

I don't own any real perfume myself (that, or I have the terminology wrong :P ), but I am guilty of having some bath and body works paraphernalia...passionfruit "body spray", I think it is. It's not a very strong one, and I don't use it often.

As far as on guys..I adore the smell (and taste :o ) of my boyfriend's aftershave (again, terminology; I just assume it's aftershave), and also, strangely, his deodorant. Go figure.

In general, I'll definetly agree that you shouldn't drench yourself in any scent...it's gross.
Last edited by Delalyra on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

Belial wrote:You are clearly the hypothetical person I am paranoid about.

And I did not smell anything when I met you, so you are all set.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

Sweet!

Paranoia momentarily alllayed.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

I don't like scented creams and stuff, I always think they smell fake and far too sweet; however I always get enough at Christmas to last me until after next Christmas (this is one of the reasons why I don't believe in Christmas presents!) and I'm opposed to wasting stuff. I use it when I'm just at home.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

Cologne on guys always sets off my douchebag alarms. Same with that god-awful Axe crap, which just smells like especially cheap cologne. Body wash/shampoo smells are more than enough.

Speaking of body wash/shampoo/makeup/lotion smells, who decided that EVERYTHING has to be scented as strongly as possible nowadays? I can't wash my hands or put on lotion without reeking for the rest of the day of some ungodly combination of baby powder and apricot-vanilla-pomegranate-acai-mango-somefuckingfruitwejustmadeup. >_<
You don't make them touch!

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Girl™ wrote:Cologne on guys always sets off my douchebag alarms. Same with that god-awful Axe crap, which just smells like especially cheap cologne.

It causes me to die. Well, not quite. I can barely breathe.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

We can be no-colognes-PLEASE buddies!

No, really, I agree with you. I got a scarf to bring just on days when I have gym because of that stuff.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

I'm always worried about scent, but I usually just use deodorant. I have a can of Axe that has been used exactly once, and only in a prank fashion. Oh, and girl thread, thanks for the insight into scent.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

Related to deoderants: any thoughts on underarm deodarants and breast cancer? I have no idea. I've only heard anecdotes. It may be utter bs.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

crowey wrote:I went to the consultant today, I'm booked in for an MRI. I've nver had an MRI before, I'm trying to concentrate on the interesting new experience part, rather than the Oh god my knee is knackered part.....

MRI's are kind of boring, they take you to a room with a gigantic magnetic donut of doom, remove all metal, stick whatever is being scanned in it and tell you to hold reaaal still.

Then there's some whirring and beeping and it's done.

I suppose the gigantic magnetic donut of doom is interesting though...

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Related to deoderants: any thoughts on underarm deodarants and breast cancer? I have no idea. I've only heard anecdotes. It may be utter bs.

Yah I've heard that one too. A quick googlesearch showed that that was complete BS. Don't worry about it.

on scent: I use perfume pretty often. My brother sells perfume, so that increased my interest =]
I spray just a little, I like *hints* of scent, not a complete blast of it.
I very much like the Neroli Jasmin eau de toilette of the body shop. I like flowery stuff, but only the light ones. I also love the kenzo light blue, and hugo boss deep red.

I don't really know much about oils, but I don't like oily stuff in general (impossible to get off your hands - I even use gel-cream as a day cream in stead of an oily one!) so I'm pretty sure i'm not into that.
I do like incense but my bf is allergic =[
This too shall pass

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

On men:
Good cologne, applied sparingly > no cologne > cheap body spray like Axe, or too much of any cologne.
I am not a fashionista by any stretch, I shop mostly from sale racks/thrift stores, etc, BUT. Perfume and cologne are one of those few items that you really have to splurge on the good stuff or not bother. It really does make a huge difference. Nomad by Evelyn & Crabtree smells SO good on a man. So does anything from Caswell-Massey that *isn't* Bay Rum. As long as a man has showered recently, though, and brushes his teeth and washes his clothes and all that, I'm happy. Laundry soap and shaving cream are a good smell. On myself, I use Estee Lauder Beautiful Love, but I also have little tubes of amber and jasmine oil that I sometimes dab in strategic locations (neck, cleavage). On special occasions I break out the Dior J'adore.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

Girl™ wrote:Speaking of body wash/shampoo/makeup/lotion smells, who decided that EVERYTHING has to be scented as strongly as possible nowadays? I can't wash my hands or put on lotion without reeking for the rest of the day of some ungodly combination of baby powder and apricot-vanilla-pomegranate-acai-mango-somefuckingfruitwejustmadeup. >_<

Arrgh, this! And specifically on the subject of shampoo, it's freaking hard to buy! Or rather, it's easy to buy as long as you're happy to take along conditioner, revitalizer, hydrozizers and/or whatever combinations of herbs/chemicals has been invented to cram into the bottle.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

I use shampoo and conditioner from Lush and I lovelovelove it. No dead animals, no animal testing, no unnecessary packaging, smells lovely, and makes my hair nicer than it has ever been with anything else.

On the subject of scents: I use solid perfume from Lush, which is also wonderful. Vanilla. I like to smell like vanilla. :)
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

their Demon in the Dark soap is my favorite soap EVER. i also love Angels on bare skin for my face. :3

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

I love Demon in the Dark! I also love that one that smells like honey. I used Lush's Karma cream and perfume for a while, but I found it overpowering and just a tad too reminiscent of people I have known who bathe themselves in patchouli and sandalwood oil to overpower their non-showering hippy BO.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

I have this little bottle from LiLi Bermuda, oleander. I only use one dab of it and it is more than enough for a whole night of dancing when I forgot about deodorant. Not in the overpowering way, but it makes my natural dancing smell just sweet enough to enjoy. But maybe my dancing smell is not that bad (I had this roommate in college who would curl up in my dirty laundry to read because she thought I had nice pheromones...

One piece of wisdom my mother passed down to me. Keep perfume on you (car, purse, etc.) just in case you forget your deodorant.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

Sorry to change the delicious subject of perfume and nice smells:
A couple of weeks ago I visited a property while I was looking for another room. The landlord seemed very nice, and after seeing the room we had a nice chat about random stuff. He felt a bit too nice though, after a while, he offered me to stay in the living room for as long as I wanted, and he even offered to give me a ride home since he had an appointment nearby anyway. Also, in the middle of the conversation, he started touching me on my back :shock:
I had been clear about being in a happy relationship, and that I wasn't interested, but somehow I ended up getting a full love-at-first-sight confession from him, and a slightly uncomfortable sort of touching me.
Even though he has done things you really *shouldn't* do as a landlord, I stick to my earlier statement that he really seemed like a nice guy and he brought me home safely like he promised.
But once home again, I started to realise things didn't go as they ought to have gone. The day after, my mum was visiting and he texted me to ask if I wanted to meet up after 6 for a drink, and i replied pretty coldly that I had a visitor. A week after that, he tried to call me. I didn't pick up. He tried to call me again, but again I didn't pick up. After an hour, he called again, this time anonymously. Again, I didn't pick up.
Two days later, he called again. Still I didn't pick up. Instead, I emailed him asking why he was calling me (I had already declined the room offer). He emailed back that he just wanted to talk to me. I replied I found three calls on one day a bit obtrusive (since when is texting a problem?). He emailed back that he didn't know where I got that idea from, and wished to never speak to me again. Well, fine by me, so all was well.

Untill today. Back then he also said he had an entire flat to let, and if I was interested. I still am, but I don't have the money to pay for such luxury and it's obviously way above my budget. He said he was willing to accept less money for the apartment, but I don't feel comfortable owing him anything.
But today he left a message on my voicemail and asked if I wanted to call him. He sounded pretty business-like, but he didn't say what it was about.
Now. What shall I do? Keep ignoring him? call him and ask what it's about (I AM curious, although I guess it's better to not be)?

As a bit of background: I have been harrassed by a coworker in the past, and as a child which I won't explain further here. I definitely don't feel comfortable about the whole thing. But then WHY the fuck didn't I have the courage to stand up against him during that first meeting? I feel SO stupid :x
This too shall pass

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

DO NOT call him back. Don't. Find another landlord or real estate company that is offering rentals. He sounds like he's not taking the hint, and too persistent for his own good. Calling him back will just encourage him.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

luckily, I don't actually have to leave the room i'm in now, I was just looking for something a bit closer to the centre. i have a great and trustworthy landlady here, and after meeting this landlord, I have immediately stopped searching.

Also, thanks for your thoughts. I reckoned it was better not to respond. I just wanted to share my experience. And I really still feel bad about it :(
This too shall pass

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:their Demon in the Dark soap is my favorite soap EVER. i also love Angels on bare skin for my face. :3
ooooh! oooooh!! LUSH! i love their Demon in the Dark! one of my favourite things about it (besides the general loveliness) is the reaction it occasionally gets from males using my shower... apparently the mint on the nethers is less 'ooooh fun clean' (as it is for me) and more 'oh god! why am i tingling????'

i laugh. a lot. :D

Edit (because i didn't read past Demon in the Dark before replying... sorry!): i second the don't call him! i've been in a situation like this and it's amazing how much you can justify under the heading of him 'being nice'. a little distance makes things look a lot creepier, and reinforces the 'ick' feelings present at the time. trust your instincts!!
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

fuschia

Postby fuschia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

Yeah, please please don't call him! Landlords can become nightmarish so easily, it would just be crazy to start off with one who was being all creepy.

Also, try not to feel bad about not standing up to him at the time - I think it's really hard to be assertive in situations like that, when you're creeped out but he's not being completely miles out of line (ie touching your back is completely not appropriate, but he isn't actually groping your boobs or anything that blatant). I've been in that kind of situation a couple of times with older men (one of them my boyfriend's DAD :x ) and I felt really uncomfortable but unsure what to say, because what's insidious about behaviour like that is that if you say "please stop touching me like that, it makes me feel uncomfortable" they'll probably act all offended and imply that you're hyper-sensitive. Bleh.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

fuschia wrote:... and I felt really uncomfortable but unsure what to say, because what's insidious about behaviour like that is that if you say "please stop touching me like that, it makes me feel uncomfortable" they'll probably act all offended and imply that you're hyper-sensitive. Bleh.
yes. this. perfect word bolded for emphasis. i'm usually a pretty assertive person, but this type of behavior has caught me a couple of times! i never want to offend and then, by the time the behavior has become overt, i'm feeling like it's at least partially my fault for *not* saying anything to begin with!! what a horrible, horrible cycle.
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Return to “General”