[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cheshire Smile

Re: Woman thread - NO HOMERS CLUB

Postby Cheshire Smile » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

I kind of figure it has to be better. I mean, I've seen quite a few anime series / read quite a few manga series that were great right up until the very end, but not Ouran. Can't be Ouran, too...
“Once upon a time, I was a girl. Now, I am the idea that once there was a girl that was me.”

20/F/Florida/Taken/Garth Nix/LONGHAIR!!!
[Age/sex/location/heart's status/favorite author/fetish]

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

Yep, the ending of Ouran is so worth it! :D It gets way better.

I'm at odds for halloween this year, I'll probably go as cooking mama or little red riding hood I suppose.
Rice Puddin.

rebecca chabacca

Postby rebecca chabacca » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:05 am UTC

I'm new to the whole xkcd forum spiel, so i'm here to say hello! My name is Rebecca.

Okay, has anyone ever noticed how some women go to the gym totally decked out with super tight hot pants and make up?
Does that weird you out too?

Cheshire Smile

Postby Cheshire Smile » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:19 am UTC

Having never stepped foot in a gym in my life (Other than those in hotels, because when I was younger I was endlessly fascinated by the stairmasters), I can't say I have, but, uh... who wears makeup to a gym? It's just gonna get all sweaty and nasty...

Unless they're trying to pick up guys, in which case, uh....yeah. That's what the beach is for. And you don't have to pay $20 a month to go to the beach.
“Once upon a time, I was a girl. Now, I am the idea that once there was a girl that was me.”

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:44 am UTC

rebecca chabacca wrote:I'm new to the whole xkcd forum spiel, so i'm here to say hello! My name is Rebecca.

Okay, has anyone ever noticed how some women go to the gym totally decked out with super tight hot pants and make up?
Does that weird you out too?

Hey Rebecca, welcome to the club ;)

I go to the "gym" regularly, not a classic gym tho, it's a dance studio. But the huge amount of jewellery I see there amazes me too... I prefer dancing even without my GLASSES as they are in the way of dancing!! let alone necklaces, earrings and the like... it all... sways :? in the same stream of thought: sportbra's ftw ;)

However, most of them do have the common sense to wear actual dance clothes, and do their makeup only AFTER class. But yeah, i couldn't care less. I leave usually completely redheaded and everything, and if i wake up really late my normal clothes are not really well-chosen either.

What also amazes me, but this is more generally, is the huge amount of women who wear stupidly high heels, and then crimple at the end of the day. Or in general walk on high heels while it's OBVIOUS that it's really uncomfortable. It might just be *me* but I refuse to torture my feet with high heels if I know I have to walk a fair distance.
But this type o'lady also gives me attitude when I overtake them because I am taller, have longer legs, and wear more comfortable footwear so I walk faster.
Must be jealousy, I guess :roll:
This too shall pass

Cheshire Smile

Postby Cheshire Smile » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:24 am UTC

Ignoring the fact that hearing a dance studio referred to as a gym makes me want to cry... I can't believe there are people who wear jewelry to dance... I danced in a studio in New York for 15 years, and we weren't allowed to wear jewelry of any kind, including religious pieces. no earrings or necklaces or bracelets of ANY kind, because a) It's stupid, and b) it's dangerous. The person next to you doesn't judge distance right and accidentally grabs your earring, or your necklace. There's a bloody earlobe or choking right there.

As for high heels, well, I own ONE pair of black high heels. They're ridiculous, and it was SO hard to walk in them (This is coming from a girl who made balance her job for 15 years... yes, I danced pointe). I only have them because my friend RJ Evans was doing a radio show, and he wanted me to dress up for the last show. I pulled together a "naughty school girl" outfit, and he supplied what he fondly called "stripper shoes".

Then, I didn't hve to walk much further than from the bottom floor of his house to the 2nd floor, where his broadcast studio was. So they really weren't impractical...they were props. I was sitting down most of the time, too.

I was recently at a Sonata Acrtica / Nightwish concert, though, and I saw a woman in front of me who was wearing at least 3" stilletto heels. At a concert. A standing-on-your-feet-without-rest-for-four-hours concert! WTF?? And it's not like anyone could really see, since it was dark and we were all packed in like sardines!

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:09 am UTC

I personally find heels more comfortable than flats. I agree that it is not safe/practical to wear jewelry to dance or to a gym. But not every girl wears heels because she wants someone to see them.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:18 am UTC

rebecca chabacca wrote:Okay, has anyone ever noticed how some women go to the gym totally decked out with super tight hot pants and make up? Does that weird you out too?

*waves* Welcome. :)

In response: I always wear makeup to the gym. I usually head there after class or work and see no point in wiping my makeup off. I usually also keep all my jewellery on to work out (seven earrings, a necklace, three bracelets and three rings, for the curious) because I never take them off anyway and I don't want to risk having them lost or stolen. The only exception is that I take my rings off if I'm using equipment I have to grip firmly for more than a minute, because they can become uncomfortable - they're the only jewellery I notice when I'm working out. I don't know about "super tight hot pants", though. :P My gym pants are flattering but comfortable and sensible.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:07 am UTC

My personal favourite is the girls who wear stilettos to 8:30am classes at University in JANUARY (in Canada). They haven't salted yet, it's icy there are cobblestones and grates etc--no one is coherent and yet high heels and big bangle earrings are a must!

Then again, it's their prerogative to go anywhere they like decked out in heels and makeup. I wear heels for dance sometimes, but aside from that I rarely wear them. They aren't good for your feet (though they do good things for your calves and posture). I think the highest heel I have is 2" on my Remix shoes I dance in. http://remixvintageshoes.com/anita.html Oh I love those shoes, so pretty.

I don't have my ears pierced, the only jewelery I wear for dancing (or any other time) is my Claddagh ring--I never take that off. Occasionally I wear a necklace if I can find one that goes well with an outfit.
Rice Puddin.

Cheshire Smile

Postby Cheshire Smile » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:21 am UTC

Good lord... I'm sorry, in that kind of weather in stilettos, she must have been trying to break her ankle...or lose her toes to frost bite... I see no other reason.

And oh, that reminds me... I didn't wear it during my dance shows, but to practice I always wore my high school class ring. I felt too naked without it, and it would throw off my concentration if I didn't feel the weight on my hand. There was nothing on it you could catch, and the band was so thin on the inside of my hand that you wouldn't even notice if you got hit with it, so no one ever really called me on it...

Furkins

Postby Furkins » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:26 am UTC

Hahaha, now that somebody has mentioned the kind of woman who wears jewelry/makeup/look overall like she's going to a fashion show when working out I have to hold my belly because it made me laugh. I usually wear tight stuff to work out aswell but that's because I'm a competitive rower and you kinda have to wear tight stuff so you dont get caught in the slides or rip apart your tshirt at the finish (and wearing rings would just be stupid. My hands are ripped open and messed up as it is, no need for more stuff to apply unnecessary pressure). And when I'm at "the gym" (not on the water, inside doing core/endurance/strength work outs) I just keep wearing that stuff, just because it doesnt get in the way and is kind of comfy. Other than that I pretty much dont care what I look like. I'm not gonna look nice because I'm all sweaty and gross anyways, so why wear make up that runs down your face and keeps you from wiping sweat off your face because you dont want to mess it up?

I am curious though. Do women who wear make up to the gym not have that problem? I mean when I work out I sweat like a pig and there's literally a puddle of sweat forming around me (I shit you not), wearing make up would be a bad decision if i didnt want to look like a panda bear. Do they wear water proof make up? Does that stuff stay on your skin when you sweat? hmmm...

And high heels are stupid. Not only are they dangerous to walk in, they also dont make them in my size (european 45) at any normal store to normal prices. And I just dont have the money to buy custom made shoes that I would never wear. And I dont need to be taller.
They do look sexy on some women though... man now I want a pair :(

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:56 am UTC

Furkins wrote:I am curious though. Do women who wear make up to the gym not have that problem? I mean when I work out I sweat like a pig and there's literally a puddle of sweat forming around me (I shit you not), wearing make up would be a bad decision if i didnt want to look like a panda bear. Do they wear water proof make up? Does that stuff stay on your skin when you sweat? hmmm...

For me, it's not an issue. I wear eye makeup, and a small amount of foundation mixed in with my moisturiser. I don't have any hesitation or trouble wiping my face or anything, even around my eyes. That said, I only wear a very light layer of makeup - someone that wore heavy foundation might have sweat-related issues. I think my eye makeup is reasonably waterproof, too. It doesn't say as much on it, but it doesn't really budge in the shower unless I'm actively washing it off.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:45 am UTC

I don't wear makeup to the gym - I'm a very big girl, with loose unflattering tshirts and tracksuit bottoms that bulge and wobble on the treadmill and bikes, a red puffy face and frizzy hair - wearing makeup in that situation would be kinda like polishing a turd, to be honest :D

Although I gotta say what is up with the sudden bitchy atmosphere the thread has taken over the last page or so? No, you don't have to wear high heels. You don't have to wear makeup. We shouldn't be made to feel like we should wear these (or any other) things to adhere to an outside definition of beauty. And we can feel sad for our sisters that haven't realised it yet. But that does not mean we get to say that this or that is stupid, or bitch about other women who wear something they may well feel pretty or comfortable in or wear for their own reasons. In the same way that we get to not have to adhere to their standards of beauty, no-one is obliged to adhere to yours either. I hope this thread does not turn into a Glamour magazine "Fashion Disasters, let's laugh at them" article. That would be very sad.

Teapot, a bit late in but I loved your story, you go girl ;)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:11 am UTC

I think the stupid comments were about wearing clothing complerely innapropriate to the weather, like stilettos on ice. You've got to be pretty dumb to do that (to qualify, I've done that before, I fell and cracked the tip of my ulna).
Similarly, jewelery at the gym: dumb, it's just asking for injury.

I wear makeup at training, because I go straight from work, and I can't be arsed to wash my face when I get changed. Mind you, my eyeshadow is amazingly water resistant, I can surf for 4 hours and it's still pristine :mrgreen: .
I always take all my jewelery off, I've seen too many ears ripped apart to risk it.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:28 am UTC

Perhaps I was too quick to judge, sorry then.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:38 am UTC

I am pretty unhappy with the direction some of these discussions have been taking lately, too. This is a place for us to chill out and talk about stuff that pertains to us as women, but I really don't like the bitching out on other women I'm seeing, either. Once again I am feeling like some of you think less of me as a woman and as a person because I like to put makeup on my face every morning - I mean, I'm sure you don't mean me specifically, and I am quite aware I am an overly sensitive person, but some of your generalisations can be pretty condescending and hurtful. I have as much right to wear makeup wherever the hell I want to and feel comfortable doing that as you all do not to.

Cheshire Smile

Postby Cheshire Smile » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

I'm sorry if I am guilty of making you feel that way, hermaj. I was more shock at the danger of wearing jewelry to dance, or stilettos in ice. Personally, I adore looking "girly". I have a case of eyeshadow that must have at least a hundred different colors and shades in it (Thank you, Claires), and at least a dozen different lipsticks and even more lipgloss.

Actually, I was told by one ex-boyfriend in particular that he didn't like me wearing makeup, that I was "pretty as I am", but I had to explain that that wasn't really the point... I enjoy wearing makeup because I enjoy wearing it, for myself, no one else. it doesn't always have to be to someone else's satisfaction, just your own.

@ Furkins: Haha, the panda line made me laugh, thank you.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

From a boy's perspective - what I hate is when girls feel they need to wear makeup. If it makes you feel better, if you enjoy it, great, but to wear makeup because you don't feel pretty enough without it, or that you feel you should because others do, reflects badly on the world and makes me sad. That said, Tegan, I am sure you are just as cute, funny and awesome with or without makeup. ;) You wear whatever the hell you want!
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

I don't wear makeup regularly, because I'm lazy.
I probably look better with makeup, and when I go out dancing, or somewhere fancy, I'll put on makeup.

But, day to day? I'm really too lazy to do it. Yes, it's more professional to have some makeup on, but... lazy.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

I wear makeup rarely, but it's fun stuff--using your face as a canvas. :D

I also find that if I'm going into a nerve wracking situation, makeup can act sort of like a mask--it helps me act less nervous than I am somehow. Like being a character in a play. Mostly I used it when I was in university and student teaching at highschool. I still felt as young as some of the students, but if I dressed up a bit and wore makeup, I could act as though I were older.
Rice Puddin.

crystal_owl

Postby crystal_owl » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

I'm one of those girls who feels like she needs to wear make-up, and it really bothers me. I don't wear that much, we're not talking about laying it on with a trowel here, but if I don't wear any I feel too self-conscious to leave the house. If I miss out foundation I feel like my skin looks awful, and if I miss out mascara I feel like my eyes are tiny and my eyelashes stubby and non-existent. My sister will happily wear no make-up at all, and looks lovely, but she's always had better skin. I get so annoyed with myself every time I think something along the lines of 'Oh, I can't go and get milk yet, I need to put my make-up on first...' :(
www.justgiving.com/sarah88

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

I'm happy to rock out of the house in whatever I'm wearing. I have been known to go to the supermarket in PJs and last nights makeup. I couldn't really give a toss.
I like wearing makeup, I enjoy the process of putting it on and having neon coloured eyes etc.
I sometimes get the impression that some women (not necessarily on this thread, just in general) think that anyone who wears makeup is insecure or trying to live up to crazy beauty stereotypes. I don't like that.

also: crystal *hugs*

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

Aw, hugs crystal_owl, I hope you'll realise one day that
a) You are probably much prettier than you think; we all are; we are our own worst critics;
b) You don't need to define yourself by how you look;
c) People who judge you on how you look aren't worth thinking about.

Maybe you could spend the time on getting your skin so you feel more comfortable about it? Maybe talk to a beauty therapist or dermatologist (I don't know what your skin is like of course). I'm big on looking after skin because I used to have bad acne and having good skin has made me sooo much more comfortable with myself and how I look, so I want to keep it as healthy and naturally nice looking as possible.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Crystal! I'm sure you are your own worst critic, and I'm sure your sister could name lots of things about you she'd like to have.

I won't tell you not to wear makeup, but I will say that I bet no one out there looks at you without it and thinks any of the horrible things you think--they're too busy worrying about their limp hair, or frizzy hair, or pimple, or freckles ,or extra 10 pounds, or that they're too skinny etc etc etc. (And if they do think that way about you, they really aren't worth your time anyway).
Rice Puddin.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

Since I don't wear it I feel more self conscious when I have make-up on. I have to remember not to touch my face. Also, when I have that sort of control of how I look I think about it much more. Like when I plucked my eyebrows I noticed all eyebrows all the time. Now I only notice the really small ones or the really big ones.

With make-up and working out, there was a girl on my wrestling team for a bit who wore make-up. I hated wrestling with her because it would smudge all over my clothing. A third girl on the team competed in a all female group too, and would hate getting glitter and things all over her from the opponents who actually wore body glitter to wrestle. I had issues with that stuff because 2 women wrestling already become this big spectator sport (as if they will forget the rules of wrestling and rip off each others clothing or make out). When people got all dolled up for competition I always wondered what they were doing.

I think the issues with makeup for some who do not wear it is this: When people wear make-up they look different. Which is the goal. But some people (some guys) cannot tell when people are wearing makeup. They think some people just have really smooth skin and long dark eye lashes. I guess some people do, but when people alter their looks a lot I used to feel angry. It was like they were saying 'this is what acceptable looks like', and the majority of women in my geographic region do it to varying degrees (I live around lots of college students, and many of them alter their appearance). I guess that the makeup changes the standards in a strange way. Not because it makes people really more beautify, but because it makes them look more alike. Then I don't look like people even more. I sort of stick out anyway, but sometimes people really stare. I can pretend it is cause I am so hot (and in many cases I think it is /vanity) but really I am just unusual. Conclusion: makeup, sometimes I don't like it because I think it makes people judge me on a false standard. Not always, but just when they pretend they are not wearing any. But wearing it makes me insecure because I never really learned to do it (and have no real desire to).

Wow ramble. That is likely to be too far from clear to make sense.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

It really depends on how you apply it Sophy. I wear no foundation, just eyeshadow, mascara and some lip gloss--maybe blush if I'm feeling like it. Mostly it just makes my eyes look a bit bigger.
Rice Puddin.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

I can't wear makeup. Sometimes I try with mascara and eye shadow- I like it as much as I like dressing up, as in it happens sometimes, but I can never NOT touch my face, and I always end up looking smudged and my foundation comes off and my real face shows up no matter what I do.
So I don't bother. I don't really like the way makeup feels anyway. My skin is very sensitive.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

I know that when I had to wear makeup for drama club, it was very aggravating. I guess you could get used to it, but I don't see how.

I don't mind if my (hypothetical) girlfriend wears makeup, but I would just as soon they don't bother.

Just thought I would throw in my two cents. I better get out of here before girls pin me down and put pink bows in my hair. :P :lol:
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I know that when I had to wear makeup for drama club, it was very aggravating. I guess you could get used to it, but I don't see how.
If you're doing it right subtly, it really shouldn't be anything like stage makeup and does not really require that much getting used to. I just have to not rub my eyes on the few occassions I do wear it; but I shouldn't rub my eyes anyway (I do; a LOT). Although I have become an expert at rubbing really, really near my eyes :).

Other stuff - if I'm wearing so much foundation that touching my face would have an impact, that's more than I meant to wear. And more alarmingly to me, it would have to be a different colour for it to make a difference whether my face showed through or not, and then I'm definitely doing it wrong. Lipstick comes off. On me, it comes off double quick. So it's "whatever".

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

Heh, shows what I know then.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

I don't really bother with make up because I'm pretty lazy and not putting on make up gives me a little more time to sleep in the morning. (I'm also pretty bad at not drying my hair before I go out... As long as I brush it it dries ok. It's maybe a little flicky out, but I can deal with that.)

I'll wear make up if I'm going somewhere really fancy. Or occasionally I'll wear it if I'm going out with friends.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

I should have noted: in my personal taste, opinion and experience. I didn't mean to sound like I speak for all women.

In other girly news:
Good news - I don't have cervical cancer. Pap test came back.
Bad news - the suspected polyp the nurse found whilst administering the test has not resulted in any contact from a specialist or hospital yet and it's coming up to Shark Week again, and probably not being able to use my mooncup again. I have never needed a consultation in the UK before, and you're always hearing how long the waiting lists on the NHS are; I wonder if I should just be patient or check with the nurse?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

Teapot wrote:I don't really bother with make up because I'm pretty lazy and not putting on make up gives me a little more time to sleep in the morning. (I'm also pretty bad at not drying my hair before I go out... As long as I brush it it dries ok. It's maybe a little flicky out, but I can deal with that.)

I'll wear make up if I'm going somewhere really fancy. Or occasionally I'll wear it if I'm going out with friends.

Same! I rarely dry my hair. I brush it when I get out of the shower, and let it dry. It then goes really poofy.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

Normally it's 'cause I'm going to school or work or whatever and I sort of think, none of my friends there care about whether my hair is a mess or not. I can't be bothered trying to please everyone else.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

Moo wrote:I should have noted: in my personal taste, opinion and experience. I didn't mean to sound like I speak for all women.

In other girly news:
Good news - I don't have cervical cancer. Pap test came back.
Bad news - the suspected polyp the nurse found whilst administering the test has not resulted in any contact from a specialist or hospital yet and it's coming up to Shark Week again, and probably not being able to use my mooncup again. I have never needed a consultation in the UK before, and you're always hearing how long the waiting lists on the NHS are; I wonder if I should just be patient or check with the nurse?

How long have you been waiting, Moo?
If it was something worrying, normally they're really good at acting quickly, but it can't hurt to ask. I take it you weren't given any sort of time frame as to when you could expect to hear from someone? (Some time you get told, sometimes you don't, different trusts are a bit crap like that)

EDIT: I never wear make up, am too lazy and feel more awkward with it on due to lack of wearing it...I always feel like I look like a clown :oops:
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

For the last couple years I've usually worn at least lipstick and mascara to school, but once or twice a week the full face. Then I started dating a guy who really doesn't like makeup about a year ago. I still wear makeup when I want to, but my tolerance for it is going down. Eyeliner and eyeshadow now makes my eyes burn and water, and instead of foundation I can only handle dots of concealer on the relevant parts. I still like lipstick, though. I wear it maybe half the time.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

crystal_owl wrote:I'm one of those girls who feels like she needs to wear make-up, and it really bothers me. I don't wear that much, we're not talking about laying it on with a trowel here, but if I don't wear any I feel too self-conscious to leave the house.

I feel like an idiot posting here as a guy, but for what it's worth, this pretty much describes me with clothes. If I'm not wearing a button up shirt (or at least something with a collar, I guess) I'm not comfortable going out in public. I go through phases where I'd rather not go out in less than a nice long sleeve shirt and pants. And hat. I strongly suspect that this sort of putting on armour to face the world sort of thing is not at all uncommon.
cypherspace wrote:From a boy's perspective - what I hate is when girls feel they need to wear makeup. If it makes you feel better, if you enjoy it, great, but to wear makeup because you don't feel pretty enough without it, or that you feel you should because others do, reflects badly on the world and makes me sad.

We have to be careful, though, that we don't presume that that is the reason girls are wearing makeup.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:We have to be careful, though, that we don't presume that that is the reason girls are wearing makeup.

Agreed, and I don't, but when they say explicitly that is the case... it makes me sad.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

i enjoy the act of putting on makeup, especially when with my girlfriends and we're getting ready to go out... sometimes that's my favourite part of an evening out - the getting ready!

this also applies to other things i get to do with my girlfriends - like at home spa days. for me it's about bonding and about celebrating little things about being a woman. NOT to say that makeup is only a girl thing, or that all woman do/should wear it... just that when i can do it with other women it's lovely! i also bought my Diva Cup with my girlfriends... another wonderful experience! :D

i don't really wear much by way of makeup on a daily basis because i can't be bothered, but i do love to put it on to go out! i like to think of my body as a canvas...

my armour to protect me from the world (myself) is my skin care routine... i wash and exfoliate, tone and moisturize. i love the feeling of my skin afterward, i enjoy the process (i'm a sucker for routine from time to time), and it values my skin (both with time and money) which helps me to be aware of my self destructive habit of scratching at my skin. my skin has improved immeasurable and i feel like i've taken back a little control, which is nice!

makeup can mean a lot of things to a lot of people... it's kind of a fascinating thing to me because of the myriad of interpretations that are possible. i think makeup can be as individual as the person wearing it. or not wearing it. :D
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Cheshire Smile

Postby Cheshire Smile » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

shinybaby wrote:this also applies to other things i get to do with my girlfriends - like at home spa days.

You know, I've never gotten to do that. I was a bit of a loner in high school, and in college most of my friends were guys (Because I went to a tech school, where the boy:girl ratio was 4:1). It's one of the things I've always wanted to do.. have one of those incredibly girly spa sleepover kind of days.

Even now, of all my friends, only ONE is a girl, and she's not the feminine type. Plus, she doesn't do anything without her fiance, and he wouldn't put up with that sort of thing.

Return to “General”