[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quercus

Re: [SAFESPACE] Lady Sybil's thread, here there be dragons -

Postby Quercus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:40 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:But I see the point about lotion on hairy legs being weird. Solution? Sounds silly maybe but use some good conditioner it will give some moisture to skin too not just hair! I tend to condition my body in winter months after soaping it down when I'm lazy and don't want to mess with lotion. Works almost as well.

I went to buy some conditioner a few days ago to try this out (my hair doesn't need it being short and not inclined to become dry). Came across this in-shower moisturising stuff so I thought I'd give it a go instead. From my few days of trying it it seems to work excellently. The fact that you rinse off the excess after putting it on also means that you don't get the horrible gummed-up-with-lotion feeling if you're applying it to skin with body hair.

Fractal_Tangent wrote:You can not eat it.

This sounds like a statement born of experience :)

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby studyinserendipity » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:56 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:I've been told that you can make your own facemasks. I would not be entirely against giving it a go.
I made one once! It had pumpkin and honey annnnddd.... ummmm.... oatmeal? I may just be making the oatmeal part up. There was definitely pureed pumpkin and honey in it, and it smelled nice and felt all tingly on my face. The only problem is it was kind of goopy so I didn't feel safe moving around with it on.

Sharkweek question!! Does anyone else use sea sponges as tampons? I went to buy some more, and there was a blurb about how due to FDA regulations they're not allowed to say they are for menstruation anymore. I'm trying to find out some more to see if I should keep on using them.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Killerofsheep

Postby Killerofsheep » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:30 am UTC

Shro wrote:snip

I've never exfoliated my legs, that might be a good idea.
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try getting an electric razor, that way I can use it for my face as well. I will try the waxing when my hair's long enough, it's currently 2 mm, is that long enough?

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:17 am UTC

@hanners: oatmeal is totally a thing that goes in masks sometimes, so that sounds reasonable. As for the sponges, i have no idea but i'd love to hear, as if Shark Week comes back (I'm on my first couple months with an IUD and i don't know what my body thinks is up) I plan to try out sponges.
ImageImageImageImageImage

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Wed May 13, 2015 1:53 am UTC

Non-woman here, seeking advice: a friend of mine had to use the morning-after pill this past Sunday, and she's concerned about her appetite, which has grown a lot in the past few days. Is this a possible side-effect? She's been mad worried about it.
(null)

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed May 13, 2015 8:26 am UTC

Anecdotal experience!

As someone who's taken the morning after pill before I can say that I noticed everything out of the ordinary the next few days. I think it's the whole Baader-Meinhof effect a little bit. I was worried that I might be pregnant and so everything vaguely pregnant-y/side effect-y jumped out at me for a few days after. It doesn't say anything about increased appetite here but if it persists, I'd get it checked out.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed May 13, 2015 10:34 am UTC

NieXS wrote:Non-woman here, seeking advice: a friend of mine had to use the morning-after pill this past Sunday, and she's concerned about her appetite, which has grown a lot in the past few days. Is this a possible side-effect? She's been mad worried about it.

From a quick poll of personal experience and some friends I have lying around, we've come to the conclusion that it's definitely not unusual.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Fizz

Postby Fizz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:55 pm UTC

Anyone here taken out their own IUD? Getting my last one taken out and my new one put in was so painful I puked. And that was when my GYN did it. But I'm thinking of a little DIY here for various reasons. Mostly cuz I probably have Grave's Disease and I think the IUD hormones contributed to the GD, and I want the IUD gone gone gone.

Also, anyone here have Grave's Disease?

almach

Postby almach » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:13 pm UTC

Fizz wrote:Anyone here taken out their own IUD? Getting my last one taken out and my new one put in was so painful I puked. And that was when my GYN did it. But I'm thinking of a little DIY here for various reasons. Mostly cuz I probably have Grave's Disease and I think the IUD hormones contributed to the GD, and I want the IUD gone gone gone.

Also, anyone here have Grave's Disease?

Like I said in your other thread, please go to the doctor! You are putting yourself at risk of infection, perforation and worse. And don't self-diagnose with a thyroid disorder! Please get a medical opinion.

Fizz

Postby Fizz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:35 pm UTC

[edit] yargh, I am taking my Grave's Disease reply out of here and putting in the other topic. In this topic I am really asking about IUD. Sorry for awkwardness, it's been a bazillion years since I have used forums.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:59 pm UTC

hello WT! It's Shark Week for me and it's just drained me of what little energy I have left. Ugh. I never realise how cranky, constipated and altogether dreadful I am with PMS until Shark Week arrives and I'm like "ah, right that explains". Recognisable?

Maybe I should have put my little whine in the whinge thread but it's been ages since I visited XKCD and the WT is so iconic, I couldn't resist.

How's everyone?
This too shall pass

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

I don't get cranky so much as weepy. Also, more loose than constipated (and then go the other way around when it starts). Every time it comes I then realise what had been happening and vow to actually log symptoms better, but then forget by the next month.

Bodies are weird.

I'm good, how are you?
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

Glad to hear it. I've been better. Have the fora died down a bit?
This too shall pass

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:48 pm UTC

A touch. When the forums link was removed from the comic page, the newbie rate slowed down.

This does mean that returning oldbies are more noticeable when they come back. (Hello.)
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

A man who is ‘ill-adjusted’ to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:11 pm UTC

(: hello
also kinda feels as if fora have sort of had their best time too. It is a significantly slower medium than other things out there and the social circles do tend to be closer these days than they used to be.

Then again, I may just be projecting as I am getting older, have a full time job in communication (eg I talk to people all day) and a reasonably busy social life, making alone time on the internet less focused on, well, communication and more on consuming (hello notalwaysright!)

but this sure is going strong still!

in other news, TGIF! I need to wind down from a busy week.
This too shall pass

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:53 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:hello WT! It's Shark Week for me and it's just drained me of what little energy I have left. Ugh. I never realise how cranky, constipated and altogether dreadful I am with PMS until Shark Week arrives and I'm like "ah, right that explains". Recognisable?
Now that I'm in my 30s I feel like Shark Week has turned things up a notch - cramps are more painful, I get back pain, and often I get night sweats too. Makes life pretty miserable, although I'm EXTREMELY lucky to have a very short period, so it usually only lasts a day or two. Just funny that I never had many symptoms through my teens and twenties, and now I feel like a "real woman" because I actually have pain and stuff. And a semi-regular cycle, finally.

Also hello and nice to see you again :)
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:20 pm UTC

uh-oh, studyinserendipity;
I don't intend to 'rain or your parade'.

But...Pain is sort of an early warning system.
It means, Things may not be hunky-dory.

What you are describing are symptoms that are so very common, we think it is normal and a bit of a 'coming of age'.
And; For most of human history, it was. Women had women trouble days.

Do the words Benign Fibroids mean anything to you.
They, kind'a, act like what you are describing.

They are so common, they may be the norm.
They never amount to much in many women.

For other woman, over the course of twenty years or so, they become a little more of a nuncance.
*Raises Hand* I walked that path.

The OBGYN noted them and inquired about them at most visits.
The way she might inquire about a person's Mom or Auntie.

Not at all something to get all in an uproar about.
For some of us they become such a nuance, action must be taken.

I'm sorry if I took away some of the quite Joy of feeling a part of all women everywhere throughout Time
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:17 pm UTC

whilst I think addams is pointing out something very valuable, I think I have sort of experienced the same as studyinserendipity - I am 31 now and I certainly do feel more "off" nowadays where I used to only experience cramping. It could be that I just notice other things more now, but I certainly never experienced headaches or nausea before my 30s.

Doesn't the body just cope worse with things as we get older? It makes sense.

[edit] feels weird to think I was 23 when I joined the fora 0_o
This too shall pass

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:04 am UTC

Getting Older??
at 31 years old?

No.
No. And; Again, "No."

A woman is at her prime at 35.
She is like the Bionic Man.

Faster, Smarter, Stronger.
The 35 year old woman is what God was aiming at.

The Greek Statues are the ideal human form.
She's not only strong she's round, soft and beautiful.

The rule of age.
Spoiler:
Fifteen years younger that you is young.
Fifteen years older than you is old.

Double your age is REALLY old.
Double my age is DEAD.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:35 am UTC

Thanks addams, that's actually a fair point. I did freak out a little when the night sweats started, but some research revealed that those can be normal Shark Week symptoms (I thought night sweats were only for menopause). I'll definitely bring it up with my gyno the next time I have a physical. It has also been hard to parse out which body changes are from getting older, which are from amping up my martial arts training schedule, and which could potentially be something more serious.

It's funny how there are symptoms of things that can be so general and fleeting that you don't think anything of them, and yet they're signs of something that you can actually change. When I was younger, I thought breakfast made me queasy because I ate things too early, and that I needed naps in the afternoon because I woke up so early. But when I got the celiacs diagnosis and made the necessary changes in my diet, that stuff went away. So it can definitely pay to look into small-but-out-of-the-ordinary things; I'm glad you brought it more to the forefront of my thinking, addams.

EDIT: most of the people that I met (and know in meatspace) via the fora call me Hanners; it is maybe easier to type than my screenname?

she/her/hers

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:46 am UTC

Hanners is a good name.
Serendipity is a good accident.

Is your given name Hanna?

I Googled celiacs.
An allergic response...
What a bummer.

I gained a new fear and respect for the immune system recently.
I had a wildly hyper reactive immune response.

I spent a week in the hospital.
They gave me IV Benadryl and Steroids.

I left the hospital thinking I'd be fighting allergies every day for the rest of my life.
That can be a miserable experience. Itching, tight throat, fuzzy consciousness. (yuck)

It's not going to be as bad as I had expected.
I don't react daily. Yet, I must always be ready.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:13 am UTC

Coeliacs disease really sucks. There is an upside though, thanks to the rise of the self proclaimed gluten-intolerant, actual coeliacs have a lot more, and better, gluten free food options.

On another note, I like Hanners (: certainly is catchier. Do you have an opinion on those who claim to be gluten-intolerant? I find them ignorant, but I am not a coeliac so it doesn't feel right for me to judge.

@addams: That is very sweet and very true, but you may have misunderstood; by no means do I feel old. I love being thirty. Certainly does feel like my prime age, I have figured myself out a little, career wise I'm heading somewhere promising and I feel more self centred which means I am more able to enjoy the moment and worry less about what comes next, who thinks what of me etc. I have also figured out how I enjoy sex which has previously distracted me from, well, life.
So as far as I am concerned, things are good and there's still promise of things getting even better.
I did say oldER yes? I joined the fora 8 years ago. I feel different, my body feels different. The world feels different. The internet is different.

I never said old. repeat: I love being thirty.

[edit] and I am grateful that I have always been completely healthy, no allergies, nothing. I should take better care of my body, but it works just so conveniently well that it's hard not to get complacent.
This too shall pass

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:20 pm UTC

addams wrote:Hanners is a good name.
Serendipity is a good accident.

Is your given name Hanna?
Thank you! Hanners has nothing to do with my given name. It came about because at the time I met some fora people, I had the same haircut/body type/some personality traits as a character from the webcomic Questionable Content. So everyone started calling me Hanners and it stuck. It's sort of become the nickname specifically for people who know me from the internet. :)

Artemisia wrote:Coeliacs disease really sucks. There is an upside though, thanks to the rise of the self proclaimed gluten-intolerant, actual coeliacs have a lot more, and better, gluten free food options.

On another note, I like Hanners (: certainly is catchier. Do you have an opinion on those who claim to be gluten-intolerant? I find them ignorant, but I am not a coeliac so it doesn't feel right for me to judge.
There are sooooooooooo many more gluten-free foods and options now than when I first received my diagnosis. Which is really cool, especially when it comes to eating out, but I find that most of the stuff that's ready-made in grocery stores (bread, cookies, etc.) is still pretty gross. Or rather, I can make much better stuff myself now that I've had years of practice. Most of the things I eat on a daily basis though (barring pasta) is stuff that would be gluten-free anyways - rice-based dishes, Mexican food, soups, etc.

In terms of people self-diagnosing gluten-intolerance... hmm. The members of my family who have celiacs are asymptomatic, which is more of a "tiny symptoms that COULD be explained by other daily things" as opposed to "no symptoms at all". The only way we caught it was my brother had Lyme and there was some complication in the treatment that made the specialists think "Hey, maybe you have Celiacs?" Making the change in my diet made a MUCH bigger difference in the way I felt than I expected. So I'm actually glad that more people are open to trying things to make themselves feel better. Like I wouldn't throw shade on someone that says "I think wheat may upset my stomach" or "I'm trying to avoid milk, it doesn't make me feel great" because it very well COULD be a problem for them, and sometimes personal metadata is really the best tool we have to catch these things. I've never met anyone who has been, ah snobby I guess?, about it. Sometimes people will say, "I'm thinking about cutting out wheat" and my biggest caveat is if you're cutting out gluten cut out all of it, not just bread, and that you may want to speak to a nutritionist (although I did NOT do that so that advice is kinda sketchy coming from me).

she/her/hers

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm UTC

Artemisia; I'm so glad to hear you love your prime.
I can remember women fearing the number 30.

In human Herstory, there has never been a better time to be a woman.
You are highly likely to feel thirty for thirty years or more.

Go! You!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:56 pm UTC

Re: Lyme and celiacs:

So my uncle, cousin, and myself all got lyme. Cousin went undiagnosed for about 10 years, and loe and behold had developed celiacs (confirmed by a doctor with tests, as is her father, my uncle) as well. I want undiagnosed (i beleive, symptom-wise) for a year and a half to two years, and loe and behold, had developed "gluten intollerance" as well (they never tested, simply assumed on symptoms and due to the lyme reaking havoc on my immune system).

FWIW, I am now lyme-free for about eight months, and have sucessfully added back in *some* gluten without side effects (on advice of doctor to see if it still affects me, I seem to be able to get away with a certain amount without ill effect). I have switched out flours to corn (mostly) and some coconut flours, and still purchase GF pastas though. And we got a rice cooker and both prefer rice to pasta anyway for most things, so we do a lot of meat and rice dishes. It is nice to now not have to "starve" if I am out and about (which I often am) and cannot find an option. A lot of my own research (and my cousin, who had stage 3 lyme and was developing MS from it too) and lyme literate medical doctors used to dealing with the crazy shit that stupid spirochete creates, lyme often comes along with - in later stages - celiac and MS. Also from my understanding from the MD's of myself and my cousin, celiac is difficult to surely diagnose, because that's only able after damage is done.

So....do I dislike the fad dieters who are organic no-gmo gluten-free freaks? yes, because clearly they are having no basis in science. Do I believe that there are undiagnosed people, or people who haven't reached an advanced enough stage where you can diagnose on more than just symptoms? yes. Do I really give a shit that people want to be picky about their diet? Not really because it's up to each individual, I feel it only becomes an issue when I see such fads starting to "shame" people who don't need it, into doing it, especially I see poorer areas being highly affected. Or when false things are spread about fad diet (like GF diets make you loose weight...uhm...well...going GF tend to cut the carbs, so yeah, that does make quite a few body types lose weight, duhhh, and you have to cook at home a lot more, which also helps you lose weight...duh. If there is any benefit "weight wise" it is surely the paying attention to what you eat and not being able to eat crap and needing to cook your own noms. Which has nothing to do with being GF and everything to do with paying attention to what you shove into your mouth).
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:27 am UTC

Spoilered for off-topic (about gluten-free)
Spoiler:
I did GF for a while and I felt a lot better and I think I made a big deal out of it and looked like one of "those people". I'm a little embarrassed about it now. I think the real issue is that I eat way too much sugar, and bread is all glucose, so the positive effect from cutting down on the gluten was really from stabilizing my blood sugar since I wasn't eating bread. I'm still trying to avoid bread, but not necessarily all gluten.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:49 am UTC

Sungura;...
I've been thinking about your post....

Is the connection from Lyme's Disease to Celiacs Disease well known?
Fucking Ticks!

well..We can be grateful you live in a time and place that allows you to control your diet
The luxuries of the day give with one hand and take away with the other. (sigh)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:57 am UTC

Thanks addams (:

apricity wrote:Spoilered for off-topic (about gluten-free)
Spoiler:
I did GF for a while and I felt a lot better and I think I made a big deal out of it and looked like one of "those people". I'm a little embarrassed about it now. I think the real issue is that I eat way too much sugar, and bread is all glucose, so the positive effect from cutting down on the gluten was really from stabilizing my blood sugar since I wasn't eating bread. I'm still trying to avoid bread, but not necessarily all gluten.

Thanks for all contributions, I was wondering how you felt about it. Indeed as Sungura points out, it has benefits in general if you watch what you eat, but what gets me, and what apricity is also pointing out (thanks for the honesty!) is that due to these positive side effects, gluten are currently being blamed for a whole array of issues that are not proven related to gluten.

The reason I feel so strongly about it is because my sister was "diagnosed" wheat-intolerant by some alternative-healer-type guy and is now eating more expensive wheat-free food, which is money she doesn't have spare.
And I am not a doctor nor do I know if she really is wheat sensitive (I do know she has IBS, this runs in the family, mine's a little less bad than hers) so I want to respect the choices she makes but I'd rather see her cut out things of her diet that directly affect her IBS rather than going wheat free.

urgh.
This too shall pass

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:08 am UTC

Poor your sister.
That's a heavy burden for a young person.

But..but, you are in the Netherlands.
She can go to a real Medical Doctor.

Did I look that up correctly?
I found, 'Irritable bowel syndrome'.

Having medical professionals make suggestions and keep records is so helpful.
I think people need to be Nannyed, a little. Someone professional to talk to.

I know from experience, keeping track and making choices about my own medical all by myself is difficult.
When I am very ill and /or in pain, going it alone is darned near impossible. And; I know that stuff.

When I looked IBS up, the first page from Mayo Clinic noted gluten.
She is not the only person that's trying gluten free.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20024578
Eliminating gluten. Research shows that some people with IBS report improvement in diarrhea symptoms if they stop eating gluten (wheat, barley and rye). This recommendation remains controversial, and the evidence is not clear.

Poor your sister.
I think she should see a qualified M.D. that will help her to find the diet, exercise and medicines that she can incorporate into her life for always.
From what I read, she can't go on 'fad' diets and spontaneous fasts. That could hurt her. All people need support sometimes. Her time is now.

I read Mayo Clinic's home remedy page.
Here it is. They have an alternative med page, too.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20024578

At the very least she will need records of what she eats and how that effects her.
When we write it down and look at it later, we see patterns and connections.

I'm doing that now, because of my little trip to the hospital.
Everything that goes in my mouth also goes in the book.

Those records are for me.
It's turned into a diary of sorts.

It was by looking in my book that I became aware, I am not getting enough calories.
I lose interest in food. I forget to eat. Who wants to eat when sick and tired?

I would have thought I was eating fine, if I didn't have a record.
(ech) Maybe school brainwashed me. But, writing it down Helps!

If you have a mild case, you might be able to keep it mild.
Let's cross our collective fingers.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:16 pm UTC

Irritable Bowel Syndrome indeed. I have experienced that an overload of bread-like substances can cause bloating, but cutting down on wheat and associated products is a far cry from "don't eat anything that has any wheat traces".
IBS also triggers on vegetables (in fact, I once ate a 5 course meal at a vegetarian restaurant and was sore/bloated/cramp-y for a good few days. To compare: I can eat three white buns or two slices of brown bread and feel absolutely fine).
Besides, she doesn't go completely gluten free as she eats all kinds of spelt products. I don't know about you guys, but that bread is really heavy on the stomach and overall pretty awful, besides being 4x more expensive than normal bread.

all in all, I'm not buying the supposed relation between IBS and a positive effect of a gluten-free diet. I'd certainly happily argue gluten-poor but not gluten free.

It's true that my sister can easily, and freely, visit a real GP. The trouble is, she's a big believer of alternative medicine and would not feel the need to consult a real doc. And other than her wallet, she really isn't hurting or depriving herself, she still eats healthy.
This too shall pass

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:41 pm UTC

Kind of late to the age discussion, but right now at 28, I feel ancient. I don't mean that I think of 28 as being actually ancient, quite the opposite, anyone in their 20s is still very young in my book...but I feel old. My skin is super dry, I'm getting wrinkles and gray hairs, and I'm exhausted all the time, and sometimes my back hurts pretty badly. I think it has more to do with simultaneously working full-time and being the mom of an extremely active toddler than it does with my age.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:08 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Kind of late to the age discussion, but right now at 28, I feel ancient. I don't mean that I think of 28 as being actually ancient, quite the opposite, anyone in their 20s is still very young in my book...but I feel old. My skin is super dry, I'm getting wrinkles and gray hairs, and I'm exhausted all the time, and sometimes my back hurts pretty badly. I think it has more to do with simultaneously working full-time and being the mom of an extremely active toddler than it does with my age.
I'm 31, consider myself pretty fit and athletic. I babysat for a friends 1 year old two weeks back, and watched the kid for maybe 4 hours, before being relieved of the duty by another friend. I then came home to get ready for a party, by which I mean 'sat on my couch and woke up four hours later'.

Tough Mudders have nothing on a few hours of caring for children, buuuuuuuut yeah, I find I'm sore longer now after a workout like what you described.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:23 pm UTC

The thing is, you are always the oldest you've ever been. Every year (every few months after 40ish) something new breaks down or gets creaky.

Old age ain't for wimps. I keep telling myself that going to the gym isn't optional anymore. It's absolutely vital if I want to keep any of the fitness I still have.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

A man who is ‘ill-adjusted’ to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:26 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Kind of late to the age discussion, but right now at 28, I feel ancient. I don't mean that I think of 28 as being actually ancient, quite the opposite, anyone in their 20s is still very young in my book...but I feel old. My skin is super dry, I'm getting wrinkles and gray hairs, and I'm exhausted all the time, and sometimes my back hurts pretty badly. I think it has more to do with simultaneously working full-time and being the mom of an extremely active toddler than it does with my age.

Juggling motherhood and a full time job will make anyone feel 10 years older than they really are. Lots of mothers work part time (e.g. 32 hours max) in NL to be better able to combine work with caring for a child. This is considered fairly normal here.
This too shall pass

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:54 pm UTC

I am male. And as such, I shall refrain from posting much here; I respect the space you all have crafted for yourselves... the last thing you may want are supportive males cluttering up this thread with their love and mea culpas. lol
Having said that, I'd like to rant a wee bit and mention that I'm 59 years old and came of age--and, more importantly, paid attention to, the social changes at that time--in an era which witnessed many struggles: racial & gender identity not being the least of them. Though I enjoy all sorts of music, I see myself as a recovering Punker and refrain from using loaded language in my personal life. So it's distressing to witness the rollbacks of the last decade or so. I think some of that is due to the "owning" of the harmful race & gendered words which have been re-appropriated in an empowering way within certain movements themselves (think Riot grrrl bands and some rap music) but whose usage has been misunderstood and then re-re-appropriated again by mostly young, white, middle-class males in an unfortunate manner. This, imo, is not done maliciously nor out of stupidity but it does stem from a type of ignorance which has roots in a poor education system, little sense of historical continuity, and a lack of respect bordering on an unemphatic mindset.
End of Rant.
Thanks for bearing with me and I'd like to share the links below of a little-known and truly beautiful woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shgTO5_HnfE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjXWHhGzPiI
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:18 am UTC

So, after moving my appointment 4 or 5 times (for reasons I can't really articulate myself, other than "chickening out"), I went to see a gynie specializing in fertility yesterday.

tl;dr: I'm mostly fine, need a small procedure. Spoilered for details.
Spoiler:
I have a few spots of calcification in my uterus - most likely fibroids; possibly a bit of tissue left over from either my pregnancy or a miscarriage I don't know about; small chance of endometriosis. This would have likely prevented any fertilized eggs from implanting, which is why we've been having trouble conceiving a second child. Hubby is all a-ok (he had tests done too).

The good news is I'm producing eggs, not amazingly but I am. The bad news is that my ovaries still look polycystic and my insulin levels are still slightly elevated, so those two things make the doc think possible endometriosis because Polycycstic Ovarian Syndrome alone can't account for it all.

So I'm booked in for a laparoscopy in August to check it out and remove them. This is going to be hella expensive. Like, almost one month's nett salary for me expensive. And that's just our co-payments, thank God for health insurance. And thank God I'm not the only income in the house, and not the biggest, and we can technically afford it if we spread it out. It's still a lot of money though. It doesn't impact my health otherwise. I want another baby primarily for my son's sake, and I know my husband wants another child, so why do I still feel selfish for wanting this if it poses no other risks to my health? Oh and also the thought of another baby terrifies me as much as it excites me.

I wish it was sooner, I hate the idea of waiting a whole month.

I do feel better though knowing what the probably reason is we weren't getting pregnant, and that we have a plan of action.

I have elevated thyroid antibodies (or something like that) so we'll have to deal with that if I get pregnant, so they don't attack the baby, which can apparently happen after a pregnancy; I was so lucky with my son, I didn't have to worry about any of this stuff.

I never thought of myself as someone who would spend thousands of Rands on fertility and getting tests and lots of doctor's appointments and an op and having to manage the pregnancy so carefully and stuff. It's really weird (hence this weird, ranty, stream of consciousness post, for which I apologise; I've told various people who are either involved or have been supportive the bits I want them to know but nowhere else have I regurgitated everything the doc said yesterday and I needed to so thanks Woman Thread).
And that in itself is weird because I've been told all my adult life to expect to struggle to have children due to the PCOS. I guess when I had my son so easily I discarded the caution and skepticism I'd cultivated all that time?

Yay for supportive husband and friends and good health care and enough money to afford it and only a minor, solvable problem, I guess?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:34 am UTC

That was so interesting.
Thank you for sharing with us.

Waiting is Hard!

Spoiler:
I can't tell if the posters in The Time Thread know that;
Or, not.

In one short year, you might have a baby....
...Will you forget us, again?

Sleep depravation.
We'll understand.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:42 am UTC

Thanks addams.
addams wrote:...Will you forget us, again?

Sleep depravation.
We'll understand.
Aww, I didn't forget about you guys because I had a baby, I avoided the fora for a while because of the great dish rinsing debacle of 2011 (or rather, what that said to me about the fora). If that's even what you're referring to..?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:48 am UTC

I searched and I Googled.
I found this:
http://chris-knucklehead.blogspot.com/2 ... bacle.html

I don't know anything about the great dish rinsing debacle of 2011'.

That's ok.
I don't need to know.

I'll wait with you, anyway.
Waiting is hard.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:36 am UTC

It was a silly fora disagreement that started taking itself a bit too seriously, is all.

Thank you :)

Return to “General”