[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Re: Woman thread - NO HOMERS CLUB

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:40 am UTC

I always disliked the scented pads. I could not use them really, they made my blood smell more. I could smell them way before I could smell blood.
And yes, at the end of my cycle the smell is not as nice, but I take that over the smell of pads any day.
(I also use deodorant, not antiperspirant. My Bo is underlying with apricot on top. I think I smell like a hippy and I kinda like it.)
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:04 am UTC

They smell like Chemical Spill Apocalypse Daisy Fresh. I still have half a pack I've been quietly stuffing into the corner so I don't have to use them.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:20 am UTC

Wow, really? The ones I have smell pretty nice, and they're not outrageously scented either. Just subtle. I think they're [U] brand, by Kotex? I don't know which other countries they are in or whatever.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:07 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Put simply, shit never grew babies.

Psh. Speak for yourself.

On a more serious note: *all* bodily fluids are pretty much universally seen as more gross once they've left the body. As an example, swallow some of your saliva. No big deal, right? Now, spit in a clean cup. Okay? Now drink that.

While many of us are able to do it, I'm pretty sure all of us feel at least a little bit more grossed out, for no rational reason at all.

And other fluids are no different. Put anything from anyone's body in a cup, and then putting it in your mouth or even touching it with your hands will generally seem at least a little bit grosser than before.

This has far less to do with being liberated or comfortable with oneself, I think, than to do with a very strongly ingrained urge *not* to touch human bodily fluids that are just sitting out somewhere, as bacteria generally love that shit. (After all, while it may be easy today to keep menstrual blood clean, or to get rid of it when we want to, that wasn't always the case. And so cultures treating it as dirty are probably reacting to somewhat more than an irrational fear of female sexuality. The bigger problem is when a justifiable desire to avoid too much contact with human blood becomes an unjustified belief that the place where the blood came from is itself unclean.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:33 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote: The bigger problem is when a justifiable desire to avoid too much contact with human blood becomes an unjustified belief that the place where the blood came from is itself unclean.)

Yes, but I think that's what these women are responding to. D'you think it might be a sort of How it Works deal? *sees urination* Ew, piss is nasty. *sees menstruation* Ew, women and their bodies are nasty.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:12 am UTC

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:15 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:Edit: Bush decided to let the redefinition of abortion go on, you can send him an angry letter here! I really really wish this HHS thing would get noticed in a larger way, since all the women in the country using birth control could be effected (and that is most of them).

Here is the ACLU action item for public comment. Or rather, a blog post that takes you to it; I think the actual comment form is a secure thingamie. Please everyone take a moment to fill this out. There's a form letter you can send, or you can write your own.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:45 am UTC

Not being American I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to the birth control thing.... Am I right in thinking if it goes through Drs will be able to classify the pill (standard HBC) as well as the morning after pill as abortion, and refuse to give it, and not get fired?

I don't understand how anyone with even a vague notion of how the body works could think that HBC is abortion?

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:16 pm UTC

They tend to claim "religious reasons" and say that prescribing HBC or referring a woman for an abortion "violates their conscience." :x

In the comments, one person said to send a letter because they mostly dismiss online stuff. True?
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

Letters are more personal and require more conscious effort to dispose of than e-mails, so a flurry of letters is more likely to have an impact than a flurry of e-mails. Snail mail also tends to convey a sense that you've put more effort into your response than an e-mail, so I'd go with that.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

Yeah, snail mail has more of a sense of purpose, I believe. You can watch the news and read an article or whatever and dash off a quick passionate response and email it, but if you're going to write a letter you need to write it, check it, format it, print it, find an envelope, find an address and appropriate addressee, find a stamp, take it to the post office and post it. If you're willing to put that much into it and you're still believing it enough to put it in the post box, there's a stronger implied conviction than that of an email or online form. It's also a pretty sophisticated way to communicate now, making a clear effort in these days of effortless communication.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

Well sure, if you want to put it eloquently...

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:write it, check it, format it, print it, ... take it ...post it.

technologic

<___<
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

So, the talk in here was recently all blood all the time... so I was considering the possibility of needing blood for my hallowe'en costume, and the fact that I'm essentially a blood factory sometimes and that those things may coincide... Would it be gross to use menstrual blood (pour it on and let it dry, like) for 'fake' blood on a zombie costume?
Would you guys still come to my party if I did that?

...I'm guessing not.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

You generally don't want to use real blood as fake blood.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

I would go, but the dried blood would probably look more brown than red. It also might have a slight smell, but maybe not?
I would try it first before going all out I think.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

I fully intend to be the most realistic zombie ever... real dried zombie blood would be extra gross anyway, right?

(note to my Cambervillains and Hive Mind: I will probably not do this)

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

Speaking of blood:

This week is girlweek for me. I thought it had started last night, when my pee was pinkish, I thought "Oh, blood. Girlweek," and put in a tampon. It was not girlweek. It was a UTI getting quickly and considerably worse. By the time I decided to go to the ER, I was pissing dark pink with the occasional blood clot, and by the time I got to the ER, I'm pretty sure it was entirely blood. Of all the pain I've ever felt, it was in the top 5, maybe top 3. They gave me a shot of antibiotic and wrote me a prescription for more (in pill form, obv.), and also some stuff that turns my pee bright fluorescent orange and keeps it from hurting. Also they gave me a vicodin so that I could get some sleep, although it was about 6 AM by the time I actually could sleep.

...and I still have the *actual* start of girlweek happening probably tomorrow morning. I so love being a lady. :roll:
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

Exposure to other people's blood is a medical risk. I don't think you have any weird diseases, Meaux, but that's where my squick comes from.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Speaking of blood:

This week is girlweek for me. I thought it had started last night, when my pee was pinkish, I thought "Oh, blood. Girlweek," and put in a tampon. It was not girlweek. It was a UTI getting quickly and considerably worse. By the time I decided to go to the ER, I was pissing dark pink with the occasional blood clot, and by the time I got to the ER, I'm pretty sure it was entirely blood. Of all the pain I've ever felt, it was in the top 5, maybe top 3. They gave me a shot of antibiotic and wrote me a prescription for more (in pill form, obv.), and also some stuff that turns my pee bright fluorescent orange and keeps it from hurting. Also they gave me a vicodin so that I could get some sleep, although it was about 6 AM by the time I actually could sleep.

...and I still have the *actual* start of girlweek happening probably tomorrow morning. I so love being a lady. :roll:

Wow, that sounds pretty bad. Everything is okay now though?
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

helen wrote:Exposure to other people's blood is a medical risk. I don't think you have any weird diseases, Meaux, but that's where my squick comes from.

You're entirely correct of course. I should have considered that. I read QC, for goodness sake.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

Y'know, using the 'cup and all, it does seem like I'm throwing out a lot of the stuff. I'm kind of tempted to try saving it up in a jar or something, maybe use it to grow plants.

Except that that's really gross, and would probably get me evicted from my dorm.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

Saving it in a jar is creepy and maybe eviction-worthy, but just dumping it from a diva cup into your plants or something shouldn't necessarily be (though probably run it by your roommate(s) first, if you don't think you'll be able to do it without any notice).

Meaux_Pas wrote:
helen wrote:Exposure to other people's blood is a medical risk. I don't think you have any weird diseases, Meaux, but that's where my squick comes from.

You're entirely correct of course. I should have considered that. I read QC, for goodness sake.

That's kind of what I was getting at with the earlier "there's a reason people don't think blood is clean" post.

Quixotess is certainly right that the problem is the dirty blood -> dirty vagina -> dirty woman chain of thought, rather than simply thinking blood itself is dirty.

However, that said, how many women here would honestly not feel a bit dirty themselves if they were menstruating and had no access to, like, soap or running water most of the time?

(Sort of like the whole left hand = unclean thing in cultures where that's the hand they use to wipe shit off their asses, and there is often neither soap nor toilet paper available.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

Well, if I had no access to soap and running water, my menstruation would probably be the least of my germy worries. Heck, medieval women didn't have that, they just used a cloth, right? That doesn't sound terribly unpleasant, except as combined with all the other things that are bad hygienically with the time period, dirty hands and so on. Certainly no dirtier than the sticky-semened men. Or are we talking about walking around naked as it runs down our legs? This is starting to remind me of when I didn't think lady cats menstruated because I never saw any blood.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:25 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:

That's kind of what I was getting at with the earlier "there's a reason people don't think blood is clean" post.

I was more pulling from first aid class. Not "it's more icky because it's outside the body," and it's not really an issue with artwork because you're not going to touch somebody else's. The suggestion of wearing it around triggers my learned "medical hazard, rubber gloves, first aid, don't touch" response.

gmalivuk wrote:However, that said, how many women here would honestly not feel a bit dirty themselves if they were menstruating and had no access to, like, soap or running water most of the time?

If I couldn't wash my hair/face/armpits/anything, I'd feel dirty regardless? The oily hair thing would drive me crazy long before blood would. [Edit: assuming there was something to absorb the blood which could then be thrown away.]
Last edited by H.E.L.e.N. on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:36 am UTC

Question for diva cup users: If you are on the heavy part of Shark Week, how would you empty the cup in the middle of the day, when you're not at home, if you had to? You have to wash it before re-inserting right?

Getting sick of pads and tampons, and honestly wondering why they bleach the things if they're just going to get gory. I've always wondered that...
Rice Puddin.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Getting sick of pads and tampons, and honestly wondering why they bleach the things if they're just going to get gory. I've always wondered that...

I think it's marketing purposes, get the buyer to think it's cleaner...

Unbleached tampons exist, but I'm not sure how widely available they are.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:39 am UTC

Sebum is not a biohazard that starts to smell very quickly so I would say a blood caked vagina would indeed bother me a lot more than dirty skin or hair - but that shit would still bother me to be sure. I think I would just go live in a river.

Anyhoo.

I've only emptied my mooncup in public restrooms twice. The first time I wiped it with toilet paper but it was a bastard to insert dry. Last time I wiped it with toilet paper and then with a "feminine fresh wipe" I carry in my handbag when using the mooncup (bought after the last toilet paper incident and the only thing I've ever owned those for). That was pretty ok but I would not like to not be able to wash it withing a few hours at most after one of those changes. Luckily my flow is not that heavy (although I suppose all bets are off if I leave the pill, which seems likely in the next year or so).

I bled yesterday. Just a bit, and definitely out of my vagina, and Shark Week stopped on Saturday after a very normal cycle and I haven't forgotten any pills. Hmmm. I have a smear test appointment next Friday; I might ask about that then (I would sooner but it seems to have stopped).

Also, pictures of the Ankh Morporkian Seamstress costume at the Discworld Convention:
Me; me again; and my friend pimp.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:13 am UTC

helen wrote:Unbleached tampons exist, but I'm not sure how widely available they are.

Natracare do a range of things like that; if I want to get them in the UK I generally find that I have to go to health food stores, or other such places where vegetarians congregate. Trust Sweden to be the origin of such a line of feminine care products... I do recommend them, however, even if they're a little awkward to find.
[edit: that page has a store locator that seems to operate globally]

Also, Moo, that costume is fab!

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:55 am UTC

I adore the costume, moo!
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:01 pm UTC

Aah, thanks you guys, really :)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:So, the talk in here was recently all blood all the time... so I was considering the possibility of needing blood for my hallowe'en costume, and the fact that I'm essentially a blood factory sometimes and that those things may coincide... Would it be gross to use menstrual blood (pour it on and let it dry, like) for 'fake' blood on a zombie costume?
Would you guys still come to my party if I did that?

...I'm guessing not.

I WOULD! just don't touch me.

actually, i wanted to go as an amazon after a kill one year and my friend volunteered to bleed for me so I could streak it across my face. That was like, cut his arm and bleed though, not chunky girl blood.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:I WOULD! just don't touch me.

actually, i wanted to go as an amazon after a kill one year and my friend volunteered to bleed for me so I could streak it across my face. That was like, cut his arm and bleed though, not chunky girl blood.

Personally, I'd rather cut myself and use that. I don't think blood is groce, but other's blood is weirder than my own.

But seriously Meaux, what's wrong with ketchup?

Moo: as you already know, love the outfit!!

In other ladies news, I just had another two-week's period (which will be followed by several months of absolute nothing/three drops on occasion) and I *giggle* had sex on my heaviest day. I'm glad he's not grossed out by my blood :roll: because it doesn't really look sexy...
Last edited by Artemisia on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This too shall pass

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:Moo: as you already know, love the outfit!!
Thank you, and thanks for your contributions, my dear, they worked a treat :)
Last edited by Moo on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

^^ yeah the gloves look fab indeed!

you might want to reread my previous post, TMI ftw ;)
This too shall pass

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

He he he - edited to make it clear which "contribution" I meant ;)

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

excellent costumes moo and friend pimp :mrgreen:

today I discovered that mooncups show up on x-rays, cue a long and slightly akward convo with the radiographer (fortunately female), she seems converted :lol:

My kidneys are also unusually high, so can't fit them and my bladder all on one x-ray :roll:

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: Woman thread - Is it as good for you as it is for me?

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

libellule wrote:
Gharbad wrote:I'm trans...

Yes I know, but in a recent thread you mentioned having been a football player. The stereotyping of both transpeople and jocks is such that I can't reconcile the two, which is silly really.

I apologize for being waaaay slow on the uptake here—I actually saved this message as a draft accidentally instead of submitting it, and just found out what I'd done—but John Lithgow plays a transsexual ex-football player in The World According to Garp, which is an excellent movie and, from what I hear, an even more excellent book.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Return to “General”