[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Artemisia

Re: Woman thread - NO HOMERS CLUB

Postby Artemisia » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:
Artemisia wrote:
eternal luna wrote:Agh. I took today's pill at ~11am, then managed to throw up at around 3pm. Do you think that would affect its reliability?

As much as I'd love to tell you you're FIIIINE, it might have affected it, yes. You're on the edge of fine tho, 3-4 hours is usually enough to digest your pill. You could play it safe and take another one, but you might want to rethink that if you react really strong on it if taken on odd times, like me. What week are you in? I believe there is a week during which forgetting/not digesting one is harmless, if I remember it right from the microgynon 30 pill I used to take.

The paper my GP gave me says I can actually miss 2 of my microgynon 30 pills without a problem, no matter which week it is.

That's not what I've read, or been told. I'd be a bit more careful. Pregnancy is serious business. Your body needs the regular dose of hormons to be able to keep it thinking it's already pregnant (which is basically what any hormonal BC does).

In other (hormonal) news, my boobs hurt like a bitch, and it's been a week since my last period. They're swollen so they really feel like balloons on the front of my body (and my bras are currently too small, grr) and I have to hold them as I walk down the stairs. Teh Suck.
This too shall pass

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:That's not what I've read, or been told. I'd be a bit more careful. Pregnancy is serious business. Your body needs the regular dose of hormons to be able to keep it thinking it's already pregnant (which is basically what any hormonal BC does).

Well.. in regards to Cassi, I'd say she should trust whatever her doctor said. There are so many kinds of hormonal birth controls out there that in her specific case, she apparently can miss a pill here and there without problems. In other cases, you have to take the pill at exactly 9am every single day. Birth control is a situation where you want to talk to your prescribing physician about it and find out how flexible it is before making decisions on whether or not to retake a pill if you vomit 4 hours later, or if it's okay if you miss a day completely or if you need to doubledose the next day.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Artemisia wrote:That's not what I've read, or been told. I'd be a bit more careful. Pregnancy is serious business. Your body needs the regular dose of hormons to be able to keep it thinking it's already pregnant (which is basically what any hormonal BC does).

Well.. in regards to Cassi, I'd say she should trust whatever her doctor said. There are so many kinds of hormonal birth controls out there that in her specific case, she apparently can miss a pill here and there without problems. In other cases, you have to take the pill at exactly 9am every single day. Birth control is a situation where you want to talk to your prescribing physician about it and find out how flexible it is before making decisions on whether or not to retake a pill if you vomit 4 hours later, or if it's okay if you miss a day completely or if you need to doubledose the next day.

Well I used the same pill, and the manual said you could miss one in a specific week only, and use a condom when you missed one in the other two weeks. It also stated it was fine to take another pill if you had forgotten to take it on the regular time (after 12 hours within that time) but not when you remembered the moment you were supposed to take your next dose. It however didn't mention to take additional precautions if you had had sex before the forgotten pill.

I'm not saying Cassi shouldn't listen to her doctor, I'm just saying that I would not trust that advice (and hey, it's not my doctor anyway, is it?!) because I would like to play it safer than that. It's a fact that a LOT of women don't take the pill-taking business serious enough (not implying Cassi does) and get knocked up despite "using BC" (but in real life forget the odd one a month).

Personally if I were a doctor I would never advise my clients that it's ok to forget the odd pill, even tho I agree that pregnancy scares are hardly ever necessary, and a scarcely forgotten pill probably won't affect its effectivity. A woman's body does get used to the hormons, and it takes quite a bit of forgotten pills to reverse its effects.
I listen to doctors, but I ALSO like to keep using my common sense.
I have a great doc who encourages that - I have two full antibiotics prescripted pills against UTI's without having one: he trusts me I know when I have one, and am sensible with using it, for instance.
This too shall pass

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:Personally if I were a doctor I would never advise my clients that it's ok to forget the odd pill, even though I agree that pregnancy scares are hardly ever necessary, and a scarcely forgotten pill probably won't affect its effectivity. A woman's body does get used to the hormons, and it takes quite a bit of forgotten pills to reverse its effects.
I listen to doctors, but I ALSO like to keep using my common sense.
I have a great doc who encourages that - I have two full antibiotics prescripted pills against UTI's without having one: he trusts me I know when I have one, and am sensible with using it, for instance.

Eh, I don't like that approach, as it leads to a woman freaking out that they (for whatever reason) missed a pill on Monday but took it as soon as she remembered, and somehow missed again two Sundays later.. and now she's freaking out thinking that she's no longer protected and wondering if she's going to get pregnant from the sex she had last Friday, so she mentions it to her guy that it's probably nothing but just in case and now they're both freaking out and feeding on each other's emotional state... not to mention that it's kinda... well, if the patient point blank asks how many pills they can miss in a month and still be protected and the doctor says "One" and leaves it at that, knowing that the research suggests it's acceptable to miss two... well, now you've got a lying doctor.

Common Sense is in knowing how one's birth control works, knowing what to do when one is missed and what to do when one is missed again a week later.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

I also double up my skirts on the skirt hangers when I run out of space. Mainly because I have no drawers in my room, so all I have is my closet. Everything has to be hung up. I need more furnature.

I also should probably iron.

I'm such a slob... :\
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:#3 is an example of the benefits of abstinence only education.

*wince*

Went to my dad's house last night, had dinner there. He asked us, smirking, if we'd heard about Bristol's pregnancy (not that he used her name.) "She's about the same age as Jamie Lynn Spears was, isn't she? *laugh*"

Obviously my dad was engaging in blatant slut-shaming, but what you said also makes me uncomfortable. We can argue against abstinence education without making an example of a specific teenager whose private life is really none of our business, and certainly not ours to judge. Although I know you're putting the blame on the education and government officials/programs, it still has the effect of shaming a girl who's already had pictures of her at sixteen scrutinized by strangers to be determined whether she is pregnant or just fat. This kind of thing also questions her education, autonomy, and reproductive decisions. Judging what a woman does with her body is what the anti-choicers do.

Additionally, I like bras and the way they look, but I fail at them. I've never been able to get the straps to stay up. My friends make a hobby of pulling them up for me. I think I've tried all the different adjustments of straps, but maybe not. Bah humbug.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

Okay, not going back and quoting everything, but:

It wasn't just my GP saying something, they have a paper that they clearly give everyone starting on BC, telling what to do if you miss a pill, and which pills each advice applies for. I understand where you're coming from, Artemisia, and agree that a lot of people don't look into what to do if missing a pill enough...but I missed a pill a week or two ago for the first time, and sat down and read through all the papers that came with the pills as well as the other paper that my GP gave me before figuring out what to do. In the end, it's down to each person to talk to their GP and read everything they can about the pill they are on to know what is happening with missed pills and so on, though.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:21 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Additionally, I like bras and the way they look, but I fail at them. I've never been able to get the straps to stay up. My friends make a hobby of pulling them up for me. I think I've tried all the different adjustments of straps, but maybe not. Bah humbug.

What about straps that cross over at the back? Or those ones with detachable straps, you can get stretchy plastic straps that kind of stick to you.
I used to have the same problem.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:36 am UTC

halterneck bra?

I heard somewhere that if your straps fall down then you have the wrong size bra, I think too big a back size maybe? Have you been properly fitted, some rediculous statistic like 75% of women wear the wrong size bras....

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:11 am UTC

Eh, I just deal with falling down straps. When a bra actually fits right, there really isn't much weight being held up by the straps so if one has a short torso and round shoulders, the straps never stay on. They do make racer back bras, or you can wrap a rubber band around the straps in the middle of your back to pull them in closer to your neck so they can't fall.

And re birth control pills making your body think its pregnant: not really. Hormonal contraceptives do two main things. The first is to prevent ovulation and the second is to thin your uterine lining so if by some chance you do ovulate, a fertilized egg won't be able to implant in that environment. I'm not going to say anything about efficacy and missed pills since I've never been in that situation (on any sort of birth control) and can't really know how I would react if I were.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:50 am UTC

Dear Ladythread,

When I shave my legs I get irritating itchy razor bumps, even with a nice fresh razor. What can I do? Waxing is a potential option if I can find something I don't have to keep warm, but I've not found something like that (except for the expensive prewaxed strips). Halp.

Love,
Me

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:11 am UTC

well, there's this stuff that my mom used to use...
http://www.nads.com/
I tried it once and it worked very well, but its kind of sticky and doesn't smell super wonderful (its not HORRIBLE by any means) but I don't have enough product knowledge to say "super yes buy this"

I also have the sensitive skin, bumps and burns with gel and a new razor issue, and i dont LIKE waxing for the same reason I find epilators terrifying - they hurt. I asked my cosmetology teacher about this too, actually and she said try shaving with a bowl of warm water and some super moisturizing lotion, cleaning the blade between each stroke. I tried it and it worked alright, but I was in a hurry so I still managed to kill the insides of my calves - the biggest trouble spot I have. =(

I HAVE found that the better care I take of my skin (moisturizing, exfoliating, etc) the better time I have with shaving. Also - you really do get what you pay for with razors. Unfortunately being comfortably hairless is either expensive or painful or both. If anyone has any other options, tricks or tips I'm ALL ears (and fuzzy legs because I'm lazy and out of razors >_>)

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:22 am UTC

I used to have that problem with shaving (when I still shaved anyway).

When I did though I fixed the problem by having a continuous stream of water going over the area I was shaving. I still can't shave any other way without getting irritation.

I dunno what to say about lotiony things, probably best to take other peoples advice there. I hate lotion, it's so greasy, and slimy and gross. The only thing that I ever liked about it was the weird tingly flavor/sensation my moms lotion left on my tongue when I was like 3. :P

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:38 am UTC

Kithplana wrote:Waxing is a potential option
If you're masochistic enough for it, investing in an epilator might be worth your while. If you keep up with fairly regular "maintenence" it doesn't hurt as much as waxing because you're pulling less hairs, just more frequently.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:56 am UTC

Thanks y'all. Next time I make it to the mall I will find my way to Victoria's Secret and
1. Get measured (I have, but it was a year ago and I've gained some weight since then, might have changed
2. Look into different bra styles
3. Invest in hair ties.
4. (if above steps do not work out) Get over myself.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:30 am UTC

Okay girls, I am going to get my hair cut and coloured tomorrow. I have the colour sorted (going back to a nice chocolate brown colour this time, the red has faded/washed out/grown out weird), the cut is well, I am not sure. I have long thick hair and I generally like to straighten it and wear it out, however, to do this, it takes me at least 30minutes to blowdry it and then at least another 30minutes to straighten it (if I want to do a really good job). And because it is so long if I let it dry naturally, it would still be damp at the end of the day, either that or just frizzy an unmanageable. It also gets rather hot in summer (yay Australia) and I end up wearing it back. It gets to the point that because it is such high maintenance, I get lazy and don't do anything with it, just put it back and let it be icky.

So, in light of all of that and the fact that it's just hit Spring here, I am thinking of chopping my hair off short, but I really have no idea. I was thinking something like this:

Image or this Image.

For reference, behind spoiler, current hair looks like this (I just took this, this is what my hair looks like with just a blowdry (a 10minute one at that)):

Spoiler:
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:43 am UTC

I love the second pic especially, the brunette, I just wish I had enough knowledge of this sort of thing to judge from that snap if it would suit you. My uneducated opinion is yes. I dont think many people could get away with that style without the absolute need for styling though, I dont think you can have "lazy days". But as I said, I know little about straight or pretty hair.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:54 am UTC

If my hair was that length, then it would probably take half the time for me to style it. Also, my hair holds straight for a couple of days really well, so I don't have to do it everyday. I am just worried that if I cut it all off I might hate it.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:12 am UTC

They say "a change is as good as a holiday"... but I know what you mean. I don't think you can ever predict how you're going to feel about such a change until you've had it for a day or two (except if you really, really hate what you start with). Good luck. I'm sure it will look gorgeous.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:02 am UTC

jmrz wrote:I am just worried that if I cut it all off I might hate it.
The best thing about hair is it grows back, so remember, even if you hate it you can just grow it out and try something different :P

I only wish that my hair would grow faster because short cuts apparently suit me well, and would be great over summer, but I just plain like having long hair, even if I can't do anything with it.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

11am ET: Rape: A Survivor’s Story

Today, from our archives: In 1984, Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter Joanna Connors was raped. More than 20 years later, she’s sharing her story and insights with readers, and us.

(Wednesday, September 3, 2008)
http://www.onpointradio.org/
listen live
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Most large lingerie chains don't really have employees that know how to fit bras. At least in my experience. I'm a 32G, but having been measured--mostly for entertainment at places like Victoria's Secret, Department stores etc. they tend to say I'm 38-42 D...because, surprise of suprises, most of these stores don't stock bra sizes above a DD in North America.

Bra shopping was way more awesome when I visited the UK. *sigh* Here (Toronto) I go to a couple of boutique shops I know carry my size and have the wacky patterns/colours I like.

Some things to know about bra fitting--to save you from stupid sales clerks:

Your Band size (the number) should be very close fitting to your body. You should be able to breathe, but you shouldn't be able to fit more than two fingers under the band at the back. You should be closing it on the largest hooks at the store--because the bra will stretch as you wear it and the smaller closures will be useful when that happens.

If it's an underwire bra: The wire should be touching your chest wall (not your breasts) all the way around and should sit flat between your breasts. If it doesn't you have the wrong cup size. Don't let a sales clerk tell you differently!!

You shouldn't have any pillowing (double boob :P) or extra space in the cup.

Most of the support comes from the band, so just tighten the strap until there's no more give. If they always fall off your shoulder you could consider getting the length of the shoulder strap shortened by a tailor. :D
Rice Puddin.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

One day I'll own a bra that fits properly.

This day will be when I have breasts that are attached to me.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

Someday you will!

I just saw some pictures from last week's fun. My boobs are *definitely* bigger than they used to be, proportionately speaking. Damn you, early/mid twenties growth! I was hoping you were just a myth and wouldn't happen to me!
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

I need to get a cloth tape measure. I'm pretty sure my real breasts have reached at least an A. I'm so happy about that!

Sorry. It's just awesome. I know I've talked about it before, but still.

I should look into people who can do implants. I probably will get them. I really want them (or at least, I want to be larger than I'm anticipated to be).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:20 am UTC

A friend of mine recently sent me an essay she wrote about her semester abroad, and took pains to include/draw attention to the fact that her spelling of the the word 'woman' was with a 'y' (womyn for both 'woman' and 'women'). It was a fairly interesting piece on interviews with sex-workers in Amsterdam (she didn't interview any men [or individuals who identify as male], and while they are obviously less men in this trade, there are certainly some)

I personally find it somewhat insignificant act of demonstration, but because the spelling of words doesn't bother me (history-->hystory was another one that floated around), I don't really consider myself to be a fair judge. Maybe if there was a word like man, that's so 'jewpid' instead of 'jupid' or something (definitely grasping at strings here) I'd be upset (meaning because woman-->womyn doesn't affect me much I don't think about it much).... But I'd like to! So...

I'm just curious how people here feel about this.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:24 am UTC

More power to her.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:31 am UTC

I don't get the whole womyn thing, like, seriously is having the combination of letters M-A-N in a word so offensive? Does changing the spelling achieve anything at all?
Sure the root of the word might have meant something ages ago, but really it doesn't now.
Does the word Woman cause more negative feelings than Womyn?
If anything it only goes to enforce the crazy man hating fiminazi image that feminism does not need.

Ooh, and I just looked it up on wiki, I didn't know the wæpman/wifman thing. I think etymology is fascinating. :mrgreen:
you might guess, but I agree with the arguments aginst on the wiki page, especially the misandry thing.

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:42 am UTC

Ugh, girlweek started this morning. Major cramps cut about 4 hours out of my sleeping time and I didn't wake up in time for free breakfast my college is having.

Sad day.

Oh well, yay womanhood!

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:42 am UTC

Hahaha, those are some of the bitchiest citation neededs I've ever seen.

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Cool beans, Jessica! Are you going to go shopping?

Re women vs womyn: I prefer the traditional spelling. If I had a problem with the English spellings/pronunciation of men/women, I guess I'd rewrite the thing with gender-neutral references or switch to a language that doesn't do that to write those papers.

Edit: Ha, my spellcheck wants to replace "womyn" with "wombat". I think I like that best. How are you doing, fellow wombats?
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:59 am UTC

That talk page wrote:"Although technically it's not even in the English language, hence sometimes the people who use the word are mocked and called idiots, To avoid being mocked, users of the word are suggested to shut the hell up."? Just removed that.

Stay classy, Wikipedia.

Anyway, I don't use the alternate spellings, but to the womyn who do--go for it. They get to decide what issues and concerns are important to them. That's their prerogative. If "woman" doesn't bother you, keep on keeping on. Some people are bothered by it, and that's a valid thing.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:54 am UTC

I wasn't asking how valid it was, I'm curious what other gals here thought.

I agree, of course, that if it matters to her, go for it. Just wondering how ubiquitous that dislike of woman, history, semester, etc is.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:49 am UTC

I think we should go back to "man" being gender nuetral, and males change their word. No one hardly seems use words like "policewoman" or even "actress".

Or maybe we should just change it to wymyn, because the O making the short i sound makes no sense.

That's just me of course.

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Postby EstLladon » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:47 am UTC

Wymyn is clearly plural form for womyn.
From Russia with math.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:49 am UTC

I think womyn is pretty ludicrous, but to each his own (because it's an idiom damn it and I can use his as neutral if I please.)

In terms of feminism, revisionist spelling is pretty superficial and a pretty easy target for those who think feminism is a waste of time. I suppose that to some people the spelling change might hold some deeper meaning...but no matter how you slice it "no language is neutral." (Dionne Brand).
Rice Puddin.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:58 am UTC

I had PMS style cramps and general aweful-feelingness last night. Just like Monday night. A week *after* Shark Week. Something doesn't feel right.

I would normally feel more at ease knowing I'm seeing the surgery nurse tomorrow for a smear test, but I'm not sure I have that much faith in an NHS nurse that is overworked and has a 5 minute slot in which to see me.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:24 pm UTC

Flying Betty wrote:And re birth control pills making your body think its pregnant: not really. Hormonal contraceptives do two main things. The first is to prevent ovulation and the second is to thin your uterine lining so if by some chance you do ovulate, a fertilized egg won't be able to implant in that environment. I'm not going to say anything about efficacy and missed pills since I've never been in that situation (on any sort of birth control) and can't really know how I would react if I were.

My bad. This is how, far back when I started using the pill, it was explained to me. I think the body does similar things when it's pregnant tho, but that is just an assumption.

@SecondTalon: if the doctor indeed read a study like that, fair enough. I would be curious as to how reliable that study is tho, but maybe that's just me. And what if the forgotten pills are two days in a row? Wouldn't that change things? Also, docters, sadly, aren't always right.
I'm also of the opinion that if it occurs regularly that someone using the pill as a contraceptive forgets one or two per month, they're on the wrong kind of contraceptive. On the combined oral contraceptive pill page, Wikipedia clearly differentiates "perfect use" and "Actual use"/ "typical use". While the former has a failure rate of 0,03%, the latter has a failure rate of up to 8% (a typical chance on pregnancy without protection is about 10%).
Nowadays, there are a lot of hormonal contraceptives that don't have to be taken on a daily basis. If a woman is serious about not getting pregnant, then she should make sure she's protecting herself well enough.
I'm sorry I get a bit ranty about it. I hate it when people tell me they've become pregnant "despite the pill". I'd love to tell them it's probably because they were DOING IT WRONG!
It's just something I wish the general public would take more seriously.

I agree with you that the other side of the medal is that people who already take it seriously freak out pretty easily because of a missed pill. When I was on the pill (IUS user now) I have had the odd scare myself. I've always been able to remain calm by searching for information when something went wrong, and find out how to handle it. A sensible user is most likely going to be fine.

Re Moo's cramps: HUGS! Emergency hot chocolate!

Re: jmrz hair: my sis had long hair like you, and cut it short about two years ago. She now spends wayyy more time styling, blowdrying, and fumbling with it than she ever did when it was longer (I'm talking mid-chest long). I agree with others that it can grow back, and change is nice, but I don't think it's going to save you lots of time styling, unless you are very lucky to have a great, low-maintenance new coupe that always falls right. It also means you have to go to the hairdresser more often to maintain that low-maintenance coupe ;) short hair needs a good shape to fall right, and that grows out pretty quickly.
My sis has very very straight and thin hair, so ymmv.

The blowdrying business you have atm doesn't sound ideal either tho. Ask your hairdresser :D s/he knows better what would work for your type of hair. Good luck!
This too shall pass

Return to “General”