[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Postby McHell » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:20 pm UTC

tessuraea wrote:All children are moldable. That's because they're children. :)

Yes, I too like their soft pliable bodies, but... Ahrg.

No, just because you can, should you? Yes: teach; no: twist character.

I will never adjust to cloth-caring because I don't care about clothes. Stick it all in at 60C, tumbledry if you're in a humid/cold place, and forget ironing.
If I actually liked clothes and shirts, I'd be precision-folding them, I guess.

As for practical skills, on camping trips you learn the first basic cooking/cleaning/planning stuff, and you go from there. Although at home, the EggoftheUnexpected never tastes as good, howevermuch mackerell and ketchup you put in there. Very little parental interference (not antifeminism there: my sister's far worse at the skills, but likes clothes so those are shiny).
McHell

Postby Belial » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:20 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:Note: If you can't figure out basic ironing, you need help.

Yes. Help learning how to iron.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Azrael » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:27 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Azrael wrote:Note: If you can't figure out basic ironing, you need help.

Yes. Help learning how to iron.

Buy an iron -- like any home appliance, buy one in the middle of the price range. Buy an ironing board. Erect ironing board. Fill iron with water, plug into wall, set to the lower end of the steam range, wait until pushing the steam button makes steam.

Shirts: Put shirt on ironing board, single layer between board and iron. Place iron on shirt, move around in smooth, sweeping motions. Jerk shirt around until satisfied. Don't leave iron sitting in one place on material for longer than it would take to sneeze.

Pants: like shirts, but it's going to be double layer -- matching leg seams to each other gives a crease, pulling material flat with seams opposite give a flat front.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Don't iron things that feel synthetic. Tags will usually clarify content and ironability. When in doubt, don't do it.

And I'll open the floor to all the not-men who've been taught properly to bitch about my method:
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated

Postby TheKhakinator » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:29 pm UTC

I can iron quite passably. I also quite enjoyed walking on the beach and the combination of my sweat, the wind, and the ambient heat neatly ironed my shirt while I wore it.
TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:44 pm UTC

.... I iron stuff by throwing it in the dryer on high for 10 minutes, then putting it on.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Fantastic Idea » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
kcr wrote:And here is an advantage of growing up with not just a feminist mother, but a feminist father as well. :)

I kind of blame feminism for a bit of our generation's lack of domestic knowledge.*

From my perspective, our grandmothers taught our mothers how to cook, clean, iron, blah blah because it was the women's job at the time. Then feminism hit and our mothers rebelled against the idea of "women's work." Up to here, everything is good.

For the lucky ones of you, the next step meant that your mother then passed on her knowledge to both sons and daughters. And likewise with your father teaching you young lasses to change your tires and pump your own gas. Not so for me, or my fiance. So she can't cook, can't iron, barely understands the proper way to do laundry. I can do these things, but only because I'm self taught. And hated my mom's cooking.

I did get the manly stuff, though. My dad is a very hands on person, so am I. Washing machines are easy -- it's no different than my table saw and recipes are just assembly instructions.

Note: If you can't figure out basic ironing, you need help. Confusion about complex tasks -- like velvet? who owns velvet? :wink: -- or a dislike in general are perfectly acceptable.

*Ok, it's not really feminism's fault...

I don't know WHOSE fault it is, I just know that thanks to The Great And Powerful Dadoo, I can change a tire, drive a manual transmission, kill and gut a fish, tan an animal hide, sharpen a knife, tell real pearls from convincing fakes, build a fire, and check all the fluids your average car.

But I can't do my hair. Google taught me to knit. As mentioned before- ROTC taught me ironing. (And shining combat boots!) My college roommate taught me to cook. I taught myself makeup- friends taught me how to dress like a girl. At the age of 25 I'm just now learning how to talk to boys. And yeah, first period? Best friend's mom fielded that one.

I have a very capable mother, who managed to never teach me anything in life, ever, except 'we don't talk about our feelings in this house.'
Clearly, this is all her fault.
How'm I supposed to know that you're high if you won't let me touch you?
Fantastic Idea
I'm the bad mod. Azrael is the good mod. Questions?

Postby Rippy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:51 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:the combination of my sweat, the wind, and the ambient heat neatly ironed my shirt while I wore it.

This belongs in the man thread. Who needs to iron when you can just sweat like hell?
Rippy

Postby tessuraea » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:15 pm UTC

McHell wrote:
tessuraea wrote:All children are moldable. That's because they're children. :)

Yes, I too like their soft pliable bodies, but... Ahrg.

No, just because you can, should you? Yes: teach; no: twist character.

I was trying to respond in a flippant way to your earlier post, which made me very angry. Here's what you said:

Most enlightened females I've come accross work on the principle that the Boy when born is a shapeless block of marble, and first the Mother whittles it into a caracter for 25 years, when the Wife takes over for another 25 years of polishing until product is declared finished.

The person you were replying to was talking about her 12-year-old brother, and making sure he knew how to take on domestic responsibilities. She wasn't talking about molding a 25-year-old man into anything.

All of us who are responsible adults, however, do spend time trying to make sure that any children we have influence over will likewise grow up to be responsible adults. In the case of being able to change your own tires, this is more complicated with young girls. In the case of doing your half of the housework, this is more complicated with young boys. It's all important.

And I'd like to suggest that even cleverly hidden anti-feminist rants belong somewhere other than here. I like this thread, and I'd prefer not to have it turn into a yelling match.

Please.
This is not a reference to anyone's junk.
tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby Fantastic Idea » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:21 pm UTC

I have a very important question for the ladies.

Should I buy these shoes to go with this dress?
Fantastic Idea

Postby Azrael » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

@^: I suppose I'm disqualified from answering, but Yes.

tessuraea wrote:And I'd like to suggest that even cleverly hidden anti-feminist rants ...

Although I disagree with the overall characterization, who was trying to hide anything?
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated

Postby tessuraea » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:33 pm UTC

I wasn't talking about you, although I can see why you'd think so. Sorry.

I thought what you had to say was pretty reasonable. :)

Meaux: Oh gods yes--what a fun outfit, and those shoes are deadly. I'd add something or other red to the top half of you, though. Earrings, hair accessory, even just lipstick if you wanted to do that. Or a bag.

Other than that, I think the styles complement each other really well. And even in the depths of my non-girly self I *want want want* those shoes.
tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby McHell » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

tessuraea wrote:I was trying to respond in a flippant way to your earlier post, which made me very angry. Here's what you said:

I apologise unreservedly.

I extrapolated from teaching useful skills to twisting characters, but I definitely didn't imply anyone on this board to do it. It is however something I've struggled with in RL repeatedly (a place where I met nobody who's here).

I should have made it clear that I meant it's at best misunderstood-feminism to treat the male as a project.
The last paragraph, I hope, at least made it clear that I view feminism as a necessity to get out of the social stoneage.
McHell

Postby Kawa » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:00 pm UTC

Meaux, yes to the clothes/shoes combo. (I have a weakness for the color red.) And as previously suggested, throw in something red in there. For extra classy, pin on a red rose corsage (but that may be inappropriate for the situation.)

Apocralypse: Sounds like you'd like Central Florida for all but a month (January.) Come visit me!
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.
Kawa

Postby Fantastic Idea » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

tessuraea wrote:Meaux: Oh gods yes--what a fun outfit, and those shoes are deadly. I'd add something or other red to the top half of you, though. Earrings, hair accessory, even just lipstick if you wanted to do that. Or a bag.

Other than that, I think the styles complement each other really well. And even in the depths of my non-girly self I *want want want* those shoes.

Oh Yeah. Fluevogs are the best... I've been dying for a good pair for oh I dunno, forever. I usually can't afford them but MAN! Those are just too hot.
I plan on wearing red jewelry, and possibly having a red or white clutch purse. We shall see... but do expect pictures. :-3
Fantastic Idea

Postby Scheherazade » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

Even in January Central Florida isn't that bad. Most northerners I know just walk around in t-shirts. One friend of mine would wear teeny dresses while I was bundled up.

Florida has spoiled me. I haven't even seen snow.
Scheherazade

Postby tessuraea » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

McHell wrote:I apologise unreservedly.

<snip>

Thank you. I'm sorry I didn't do the friendly-asking-questions before the scolding-like-someone's-mom. Sometimes when my hackles go up it's hard for me to get them to go back down.

Friends?

(For what it's worth, I'm sorry you've personally had such unpleasant experiences. Seriously.)
tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby Kawa » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:22 pm UTC

Scheherazade wrote:Even in January Central Florida isn't that bad. Most northerners I know just walk around in t-shirts. One friend of mine would wear teeny dresses while I was bundled up.

Florida has spoiled me. I haven't even seen snow.

Neither has my boyfriend. It's quite depressing. I'm cold-paranoid (having my asthma trigger be sudden drops in temperature doesn't help) so I'm wearing a jacket in January. But it's the sort of jacket I'd wear for fall up here in New York, maybe with an extra sweater if it's really bad (like those two days a year it gets in the 40s or so.)

Where in Central Florida? My college is in Brevard County; my boyfriend's from Tampa.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.
Kawa

Postby McHell » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:25 pm UTC

tessuraea wrote:Friends?

You don't have to be, but of course I'd vote: yes.

As a visitor it's my duty to be clear and not be mistaken, so scold me until clarity ensues.
McHell

Postby Scheherazade » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:25 pm UTC

Yeah, gym class in winter was horrible because when I was running my asthma would act up.

Brevard County also! Are you going to BCC? How interesting, my boyfriend is going to college in Tampa. Are we twins and I was not aware? :shock:
Scheherazade

Postby Kawa » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:29 pm UTC

Scheherazade wrote:Brevard County also! Are you going to BCC? How interesting, my boyfriend is going to college in Tampa. Are we twins and I was not aware? :shock:

Nope, Florida Tech/FIT down in Melbourne. I live off-campus, in Palm Bay/Lochmar. My boyfriend was raised in Tampa, but goes to college with me on this side of the peninsula. Unfortunately, I don't arrive in Brevard until two weeks from now, when school starts.

Florida Tech has a nice critical mass of xkcd fans, apparently. Perhaps we should do an impromptu meetup!
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.
Kawa

Postby Scheherazade » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

Kawa wrote:Nope, Florida Tech/FIT down in Melbourne. I live off-campus, in Palm Bay/Lochmar. My boyfriend was raised in Tampa, but goes to college with me on this side of the peninsula. Unfortunately, I don't arrive in Brevard until two weeks from now, when school starts.

Florida Tech has a nice critical mass of xkcd fans, apparently. Perhaps we should do an impromptu meetup!

I think my dad graduated from FIT. Perhaps we should have our own September meetup...hmmm
Scheherazade

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:35 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I have a very important question for the ladies.

Should I buy these shoes to go with this dress?

I think it may be a bit off, but why not? Especially considering those are almost reasonable compared to the other $250 shoes on the site...JEEBUS!

Seriously how WOULD these look on?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Seriously how WOULD these look on?

Those are ugly, right? One never can tell.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.
Princess Marzipan
Bananas are fish who attack divers inland

Postby Wilibus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:01 pm UTC

I thought they looked kind of interesting. I can't imagine any situation in which they would look good though.

But I always saw heels as a very bad idea, especially stilettos. It seems like it would be very hard to stay balanced. How women wear them at bars is beyond me.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert
Wilibus

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:07 pm UTC

Determination and force of will. And fashion. That's why we can wear and walk in heels, after men failed.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.
Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Cuton » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

As a man, I can say that walking in heels is definately not easy. This comes from having had to learn how to do it. (no, I'm not a crossdresser)

Cuton
Cuton

Postby Cheese » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:11 pm UTC

Cuton wrote:As a man, I can say that walking in heels is definately not easy. This comes from having had to learn how to do it. (no, I'm not a crossdresser)

Cuton

Please explain.
Did you do a drag stint?
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Wilibus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:16 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:Determination and force of will. And fashion. That's why we can wear and walk in heels, after men failed.

I guess 2 out of 3 won't cut it. I am determined to the point of stubborn and I always thought I had a strong sense of will.

Fashion however is something I fail at, not to mention I would never wear something as odd as shoes with a giant spike underneath the heel in the name of fashion.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert
Wilibus

Postby Fantastic Idea » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:16 pm UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:
CatProximity wrote:Seriously how WOULD these look on?

Those are ugly, right? One never can tell.

No, they're awesome. I would wear those in a second. And the heel is wide enough to not cause me to fall down!
Fantastic Idea

Postby Wilibus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:Determination and force of will. And fashion. That's why we can wear and walk in heels, after men failed.

Meaux_Pas wrote:No, they're awesome. I would wear those in a second. And the heel is wide enough to not cause me to fall down!

Ha! :twisted:
-Charles Robert
Wilibus

Postby Fantastic Idea » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:19 pm UTC

Wilibus wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:No, they're awesome. I would wear those in a second. And the heel is wide enough to not cause me to fall down!

Don't you HA me! I have tiny feet, weak ankles and a fat ass. It's like trying to balance an elephant on a salt shaker! I fall down BAREFOOT.
Fantastic Idea

Postby Cuton » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:20 pm UTC

Well I guess technically it would qualify as drag, it was in the context of a musical when I was in boy's choir, I got cast as the protagonist's mother... and had to dress apropriately. Falsetto is full of win imo.

Cuton
Cuton

Postby Cheese » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:21 pm UTC

This is depressing now. I can't add anything interesting to the conversation in this thread because you've all started talking about shoes/clothes combinations...

I think I'll be staying away from here for a while.

EDIT: wait, this just got posted:

Cuton wrote:Well I guess technically it would qualify as drag, it was in the context of a musical when I was in boy's choir, I got cast as the protagonist's mother... and had to dress apropriately. Falsetto is full of win imo.

Cuton

Ah, okay. Nothing wrong with that. I've been female for fancy dress, but I don't think my feet fit into any of the high heels in the house, so I wore flat soles. Probably still counts as drag, though.
Last edited by Cheese on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Fantastic Idea » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:21 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:This is depressing now. I can't add anything interesting to the conversation in this thread because you've all started talking about shoes/clothes combinations...

I think I'll be staying away from here for a while.

*dance of joy*
Fantastic Idea

Postby Wilibus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:21 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:
Wilibus wrote:

Don't you HA me! I have tiny feet, weak ankles and a fat ass. It's like trying to balance an elephant on a salt shaker! I fall down BAREFOOT.

I completely agree with you. I thought those shoes were a good idea for the same reason you did. I was HAing the entire situation.
-Charles Robert
Wilibus

Postby Cuton » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

Yeah, it was quite fun. Musicals/Opera are definately something that I'm proud to have been a part of.

Thread derailment ends now for me :P

Cuton
Cuton

Postby Tractor » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote: It's like trying to balance an elephant on a salt shaker!

Best simile all day.
Also, this should be tried, for science.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.
Tractor

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:26 pm UTC

Heels are QUITE difficult in which to walk. OH LOOK AN EXCUSE TO SHOW THIS PICTURE AGAIN!

"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.
Princess Marzipan
Bananas are fish who attack divers inland

Postby Fantastic Idea » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:Heels are QUITE difficult in which to walk. OH LOOK AN EXCUSE TO SHOW THIS PICTURE AGAIN!
*horror*

Yep. Nothing like calling from halfway across the world to say, "Hi honey, what's new? I just went blackwater rafting!" and getting THAT STORY.
I was convinced I would return to the US to find my boyfriend had finally come out of the closet.
Fantastic Idea

Postby Cheese » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:31 pm UTC

Cuton wrote:Thread derailment ends now for me :P

It's not derailment, it's the spawning of new and interesting discussion. Away from heels.

Although on the heels note: aww, the prettiest princess!
Last edited by Cheese on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

PreviousNext

Return to General