Label yourself (generalize with abandon)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Label yourself (generalize with abandon)

Postby the Cow » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:35 am UTC

What are you in broad generalizations and mostly innacurate stereotypes? Describe your uniform, your taste, and the image you seek to project. How is that image right or wrong against the real you?

I am a 1970s hippie. That is not a real hippie (like from the 1960s). We were a lot less concerned with politics and a whole lot more concerned with hedonism (ala: "Sex, Drugs, and Rock'n'Roll"), and stamping out disco. The boys wore jeans and cowboy boots, long hair, and pirate shirts. So did the girls. We were more likely to listen to Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, or Brian Eno than Cream or Hendrix. We associated ourselves with the "real" hippies by image, but were largely suburban and never moved to San Francisco.

Long ago, I gave up the drugs, but I still like the rock and the sex. I still wear my hair long and wear jeans regularly. But I don't wear cowboy boots anymore. I've kept up the image largely because my wife is also a 70s hippie and finds the look attractive and associates it with me and my identity. Also, business folk figure I'm a computer guru, because I can live in their world and still keep my hair.

I am strongly liberal, but more of a FDR liberal than the anarchist I once believed myself to be. In real life, I have a suburban house in a college town, and a job programming computers. Not really very hippie. My teenage daughter figures I'm a sell out. She's a self described "punk".

What are you?
...the whim of a hat.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:43 am UTC

I'm a good for nothing, working a nothing job, early 20's with no ambition. Once an ultra liberal, then ultra conservative, now i hate political labels and those who follow an "ideal" because they like the way a label sounds or the connotation it gives.

I once thought myself special, but have come to the realization that not much if anything of what i do will be remembered 200 or even 100 years from now. I'm the type of guy who thinks he can do everything, but in reality sucks at most things.

I don't like emotional shit, i love my family. I've been called a nerd, a dork, a freak, a goth, a fag (although i'm not homosexual, nor effeminate), a gamer (i hate that label), a loser, and a fatass. I'm that guy who hopes that something of immense post-apocalyptic proportions will occur at random during his lifetime so he can prove his worth.

In short, i'm a non-conformist(in the extreme sense of the word) bum. That needs to go to school.
Last edited by Phenriz on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:56 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:49 am UTC

Geek.

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:51 am UTC

The only stereotype I even semi fit into is the loner stereotype I guess, which is weird because I have lot lot of friends, I just act like a loner. I could almost be a computer nerd or gamer if it were not for the fact that I love the outdoors, exercise regularly, and am really into art. I have a bunch of friends who lover military style stuff, then I have friends who are ultra nerds and play magic, DnD, etc. and finally I have friends who are all arty. I manage to fall in none of those categories but people who do not know me always think I am a loner because I have the whole walking and talking strangely thing going on (I always walk in patterns and make games out of conversation). So I guess I am a loner stereotype minus the whole alone thing...
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:07 am UTC

Board Gaming Lego-Owning Computer Nerd

I play Warhammer, RoboRally, Domaine, Zombies, D&D, and so on. I play computer games like crazy, still have a giant bucket of legos (Seriously, it's about a foot wide, foot and a half to two feet long, maybe two feet deep. And I do computer network administration for a living... well, okay, my immediate boss does that. Me, I do that part when needed, but spend most of my time replacing computers, fixing broken soundcards, and so on.

Musically, I'm all over the place... Pink Floyd, Ice Cube, the Misfits, Mindless Self Indulgence, Holst, and Dwight Yoakam... for example. Catagorize that. Seriously. Catagorize that. I want to know what else to look for.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:08 am UTC

ok but i used duct tape and a sharpie since i dont have a label maker

Roun

Postby Roun » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:20 am UTC

General, all-around Japanophile, minus the ability to draw... and minus the fat, sweaty bit... and minus the room covered in posters bit.

Yeah...

airtank

Postby airtank » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:31 am UTC

I'm a preppy, libertarian music snob. I also dabble in computer nerdom, grammar Nazism, and at being a sci-fi/fantasy geek.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:35 am UTC

I'm a pretentious Know-it-all who Pedantically corrects the most pointless errors in the most meaningless circumstances for no Particular reason.

I also like Comboy bebop 8)
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:54 am UTC

Self-absorbed, irresponsible, sloppy Geek that is a workaholic and, when not working, either have my nose stuck in a book, my thumbs on my PS2 controller, or my earplugs in. Or some variation of all three.
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:08 am UTC

I'm a two-sided coin striving for a Mobius twist.

I'm a generalist.

I'm a believer in fairy tales whose worst moments come when I realize that going above and beyond is not followed by "...and then they lived happily ever after!"
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:11 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:I'm a pretentious Know-it-all who Pedantically corrects the most pointless errors in the most meaningless circumstances for no Particular reason.

I also like Comboy bebop 8)

What...what is this Comboy bebop you speak of? No, this can't possibly by intentional. No, sir. No, sir.

I don't know...I'm a Chinese-American teenager. And uh...yeah. So now that I've defined myself by race, I'm done, right? Yeah, I think I'm probably done.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:11 am UTC

Hammer wrote:I'm a two-sided coin striving for a Mobius twist.

Wow, that's amazing. Best. Metaphor. Ever.

I wish I had an identifiably identity. When I think about 'what I am', I just come up with 'meh'.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:13 am UTC

I'm an attention whore.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

qu

Postby qu » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:16 am UTC

I'm the 80s teen movie bad boy who simply appears to be a crass delinquent at first, but reveals his heart of gold by the end of the film.

Ok, no. But now I want to develop that persona really convincingly, since it will be hilarious embodied within a timid, half-Asian girl.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:23 am UTC

Rockstar!

_TiM_

Postby _TiM_ » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:26 am UTC

I'm I 14 year old Australian/Fijian guy, basically a Console/Computer nerd. Most of my friends are computer nerds, others mathers nerds, some both. We all love getting together having LAN parties.
I'm the "funny guy" in class. The Clown. The guy that has no other perpouse in class then to make people laugh.
I thinks way too deeply about things, and thinks there is no one else int he universe like him. Though nerdy, he also keeps a healthy realationship with female friends and is quite good at high jump. He listens to Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Rock, Hard Rock and Techno.
He's also quite talented at art and likes to slowly drift off into third person, :)

Catagorize that.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:31 am UTC

I am a non-confrontational engineer that everybody likes, but no body thinks too much about.

I work as hard as is required to keep people happy, but waste a lot of time in the process.

I am most comfortable in jeans, a polo shirt and rainbow sandals.

I make more money than I deserve.

I would be a bleeding-heart liberal if I could be bothered to do anything about it.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:36 am UTC

further specification: Comic (book) Nerd

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:43 am UTC

I'm a left-leaning geek that's a little too loud for her own good. Argumentative to a fault, bookworm at heart. A little annoying, but always willing to help someone who needs it. Sapiophile (I might have just that word up), procrastinator, know-it-all. Also, I have to say: I'm a lover, not a fighter :)

That's all I can come up with.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:45 am UTC

Lazy pseudo intellectual. Mostly just lazy misunderstood sarcastic paranoid and a poseur of EVERYTHING...

Twasbrillig wrote:I'm an attention whore.
Oh me yarm! WTF! NO WAY!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:49 am UTC

I'm an artsy otaku punk.

However, I'm smart and aware enough to recognize and counteract at least some of the cliches and tritenesses of these labels. Some people also call me a genius because I never study particularly hard and always do well, though I'm sure that's not as common here as it is at school.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:42 am UTC

Grammar nazi. Asshole. Nice guy. Music snob. Optimist. Cynicist. Weirdo. Square. Introvert. Clown. I wear the mask. The people who matter most in my life are the people in whose presence I feel safe taking it off. Isn't that true of most people?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:47 am UTC

I am nothing, and I am lost.

This is abundantly obvious to anyone that meets me.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:24 am UTC

I'm sort of a scene kid, I guess. Which is like emo without the cutting. And prettier looking.

But otherwise I don't *really* fit into a category.. like, perfectly I mean. I take things from all different stereotypes, like nerds, punks, preps, and even a bit of random stereotypical canadianity.

I'm also quite awkward, if you were to meet me. I don't know how I do it, but I make almost every conversation I have with anybody awkward at some point.

Ooooh! I also try to make people think I'm an indie rock kid. I kind of am, but my bands aren't obscure enough yet. I need to find bands that are good and that no one knows about. So far I'm failing, my most obscure favourite bands are ones like The Decemberists and The Gales, who are actually really indie since they're a local band. So I kind of win that way. But otherwise, my bands are all well-known or at least signed to a label already.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:36 am UTC

ok i guess my first answer wasnt as funny as i thought. so im kind of a "every thing" kind of person. I bleed blue when it comes to penn state football. i wrestled in highschool. but im not a jock. im pretty smart but im not arrogant unless someone acts condescending. i was "uncool" before it became cool. i wore flannel until 8th grade (2001?) ive been wearing aviators forever and i wear whatever is cost effect because i think its crazy to spend 30$ on a shirt and 50$ on pants. im love punk and hardcore but i dont dress like one. i use to be a fighter but i stopped because i dont want charges pressed against me. im a hard core linux and geek of the sciences. i dont know when to keep my mouth shut (especially when drinking). and im a total jackass. some times its a rude jackass sometimes its a funny over the top kind of jackass. also i like art and by art i mean i have to see it first to make sure its art. im also a true conservative and not a neocon but i tell people im a libertarian.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:10 am UTC

VTHodge wrote:I am a non-confrontational engineer that everybody likes, but no body thinks too much about.

I would be a bleeding-heart liberal if I could be bothered to do anything about it.

pretty much me. but an arts student. and i tend towards the conservative end of my friends.
i dress either indie, feral or metro, mostly depending on the jumper to differentiate.
my music tastes fall into these three categories too - i like indie music, a bit of techno (the metro) and country/past decades rock (feral)
i like art galleries and camping. and getting a bit drunk with friends.

i think the most accurate label i can come up with is this:
"benevolent wanker"
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:19 am UTC

Band geek.

WAY too into jazz than is good for me, love scifi/fantasy, don't in particular like the outdoors or excersizing unless it's with friends.

Politically, I'm liberal, but only because I like the idea that if everyone is treated fairly, even the poor and decrepit, it won't be too bad if I turn out poor and decrepit.

So....lazy liberal band geek.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

xooll

Postby xooll » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:21 am UTC

Geek. Metalhead.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:25 am UTC

Oh, oh! Me next!

Let's see. I'm a self-described chronically single nerd. I have a social life, and I shower, but somehow, my nerdiness transcends all of that. It oozes out of me, I guess. According to other people I am: a music snob, a music elitist, a music whore, an Asian masseuse (mostly jokingly...), a hippie, an environmentalist, a would-be vegetarian, an Indie kid, a liberal, a bitch, a know-it-all...

Really, the list goes on and on.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:50 am UTC

Afghan, Athiest, Math lovin, Science following, good boy.

I have been told my personality is lacking all the major elements required for one. :D
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:08 am UTC

Jock Body Builder / Nerd Beater-upper
i hurd u liek mudkips???

pi-3 orionis

Postby pi-3 orionis » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:54 am UTC

i wore flannel until 8th grade

Thats nothing, my friend wore sweat pants everday of his life until 7th grade.

On to me. Pretty nerdy. I enjoy D&D and other RPGs like it. I can never make up my mind. For example, I can't dedice if I want to make a living in animation, or if I should go engineering. With such a large difference between the two, I'd think that it would be an easier decision to make. I haven't worn jeans since 3rd grade becuase I thought they were too conformist. I don't wear them to this day becuase I have gone so long it would be silly to stop now. I prefer wearing either a polo shirt, or a plain t-shirt -- no logo, no annoying phrases, etc. I love drawing (most of the time) but it gets lonely since I don't know a single soul who likes to draw besides me. As far as music goes, I'm a jack of all trades. I enjoy at least something from alny given genre. I enjoy math, and astronomy as far as academics are concerned. Luckily I have friends who also enjoy those subjects, but not very many.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:31 am UTC

A brain.

And an athlete.

And a basket case.

And a princess.

And a criminal.

Does that answer your question?

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:08 am UTC

I wear jeans and a wifebeater everywhere.

I have been affected by depression.

I don't really like political labels, in that I can find a good argument for anything, so I just gave up. I have no idea who I will vote for. I also get a little annoyed when people (other hippies) get angry when I say I'm a capitalist. Of course I am, I'm in a capitalist country!

I'm an environmentalist, a bit of a hippie, but no drugs.

Ethnically, I'm a Pakeha in a European town.

I have lots of friends, but they're more of acquaintances. I hang around with a huge group of people, but only really like about 5 of them.

And I used to think I could save the world, but now I just want to save myself. (Just kidding :D). I'd like to save the world, but I don't know how.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Fail

Postby Fail » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:19 am UTC

Confrontational, Know it all, smartass, overly-emotional, self-hating, other people-hating, over-thinking, generalizing, lazy, easily depressed, angsty teenager.

I put that into google and got:

Mairead

Postby Mairead » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

I'm a hippy-rocker-nerdy-freaky-musical-angsty-strange-(not always)happy-random-honest nerd.

TRM

Postby TRM » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:28 pm UTC

I am...

A gamer,

An overachiever,

A person who is constantly craving knowledge and is getting on everyone's nerves (asking my sister to teach my vectors during dinner did not have a good result)

Incredibly empathic,

A fag,

Constantly playing the devil's advocate because I can't resist debates,

A fake athlete (I'm obsessed with the gym, not sports).
PandaFluff wrote:I learned a few lessons from this... Don't trust epiphanies that come from a General Ecology lecture.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

Okay....
I like to think of myself as confident, but tend to hesitate when starting to say anything
I'm classed by others as an emo (?) but try not to give myself any social labels, as they all have at least something wrong with them.
The best I can say for here is a geek that acts like a nerd, from scotland, aye, and me kilt's tucked intae me sporran again!
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

kcr

Postby kcr » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

Aglet wrote:A brain.

And an athlete.

And a basket case.

And a princess.

And a criminal.

Does that answer your question?

Win.

What I've been called by people who know me well, don't know me at all, or sort of know me:
quiet girl, quietly hilarious/witty, theater nerd, book nerd, computer nerd, school nerd, psycho, closed off/not very open to others, obsessive, hyper, freak, perfectionist, hippy, tree-hugger, emotional, indie girl (this one is so far off base, but I guess because some of my friends might be considered "indie")
Basically, many things, some of which work together and some of which are contradictory. I guess the majority are at least a little true but then again, there are lots of aspects of my personality that aren't in there.

Return to “General”