Milk is bad for you!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Koyaanisqatsi

Milk is bad for you!

Postby Koyaanisqatsi » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:41 am UTC

Milk! I know! MILK! Crazy, huh? And it's not just average, everyday bad for you...it's....ADVANCED bad for you. Seriously. It's horrible for you.

You're probably skeptic. You probably don't believe me. Well, I'm going to try my best to convince you. What is the point of milk, evolutionarily speaking? It's for feeding the young of mammals. Yes. Every single mammal. So, you could have rat milk, or water buffalo milk, or, as we all know, human breast milk. What's it for? Babies. Nothing else. No animal has ever drunk the milk of another, until now. It was helpful to primitive humans when they were starving, of course, but it's not helpful to us today. We're delicate now. Now it's bad. Would you drink breast milk? Is dairy an essential food group? Human's need cow's milk for optimum nutrition? And dogs need human breast milk, and whales need dog milk, and cows, in turn, need whale milk, for optimum nutrition, I suppose? The answer is, NO. You don't need it. No one needs it.

Okay, so it's not good for you. But bad for you? Surely it's just neutral. No, it's not. You only need to go to a farm to lower your opinion of it. Cows poop a lot. They eat a lot. They are truly disgusting creatures, and we drink what comes out of the udders when they're squeezed. Revolting. And as if that weren't enough, they add chemicals and things to aid growth in cows.

There have been studies on milk and its advantages and disadvantages. I'd like to refer you to this website:

http://www.NOTmilk.com

Yes, it is sort of an obnoxious site, but it has a lot of information. I'd click on "The Famous Milk Letter" first, here: http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html

Well, that's what I have to say. I hope you agree. Tell all your friends, if you care about them. Have a nice day. Come again.

jobriath

Re: Milk is bad for you!

Postby jobriath » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 am UTC

I feared this day would come: The day when I would look for the downvote feature only to realise that I'm not on reddit.

Koyaanisqatsi, your argument is bad but your username is good!

yurell

Postby yurell » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:39 am UTC

You going to provide any actual arguments, or is it just a rant "Milk is for babies, therefore it's bad for you!" I've no intention of following links to look for someone making your argument for you.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:42 am UTC

You're conveniently ignoring the part where some humans evolved the ability to digest milk as adults. A quick web search returns plenty of information about this. Milk contains high levels of protein and calcium, which the body does need, though it can also contain high levels of saturated fat (so you need to watch your intake or drink skimmed or semi-skimmed versions). OK, there are plenty of lactose-intolerant people around, but if you're lactose intolerant, you're going to know about it. If not, milk can be a valuable part of your diet.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:44 am UTC

Koyaanisqatsi wrote:And as if that weren't enough, they add chemicals and things to aid growth in cows.

Like... food and water and air?
Exit the vampires' castle.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:09 am UTC

Oh dear! A certain type of food is /bad/ for us because certain people didn't evolve to be able to consume it? Because it comes from an animal that makes poop? If I wasn't drinking milk, what else would I put my chocolate in- water? Chocolate-flavoured water? That is the worst idea.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:13 am UTC

Ooh, a Koyaanisqatsi thread. How delightful. *popcorn*

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:31 am UTC

Vitamin D is also something pretty useful from milk.

People also drink goat's milk you know - it doesn't all come from cows.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:40 am UTC

Sheep's milk cheese is pretty nice too.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

I missed the part of science class where it said humans don't poop or eat. I didn't know I was a genetic anomaly.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

Yeah, and I hear alcohol is a poison, but good luck getting me to stop drinking it. :P

I'm an American expat living in Holland. You can take my milk, gouda, and edam cheese from my cold, dead hands. (And the beer, now that we're onto this.)

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

Koyaanisqatsi wrote:Tell all your friends, if you care about them.

No I prefer watching them die from drinking milk... :twisted:
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

eijkaibjck

Postby eijkaibjck » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:59 pm UTC

Wikipedia is your friend, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence

While you are under no pressure to acknowledge that evolution, human included, is as natural process, let me say one thing.

Your argument against milk is based on the uniqueness of humans in this respect. I could cite many things unique to humans that I am in no hurry to abandon in the absence of further argumentation. Cooking, yoddling, or inline skating could be presented as not natural, just because there are no puppies or baby crocodiles around doing those things.
Ok, I take it back.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:23 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:
Koyaanisqatsi wrote:And as if that weren't enough, they add chemicals and things to aid growth in cows.

As the moderator of the Food forum, I'm far more concerned about the things. That could be anything! Like cyanide, or horse poop! They put horse poop in cows!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

You see, this time koyaanisqatsi sounds sarcastic to me, maybe I'm just hoping that's the case.

Anyway, perhaps the better place for this would be the "wrong on the internet" thread :P
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

Koyaanisqatsi wrote:Humans poop a lot. They eat a lot. They are truly disgusting creatures, and they need each other's bodily fluids to reproduce. Revolting.

I'd consider this to be accurate, too.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Lazar wrote:

As the moderator of the Food forum, I'm far more concerned about the things. That could be anything! Like cyanide, or horse poop! They put horse poop in cows!

Magnets! Fucking magnets in our cows!
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

Restores one hundred hitpoints (or five hearts per serving). Never found Hyper Potions, Full Restores, or Faeries at the market. Cannot quaff potions in a sufficiently large quantity without becoming ill. How else would humanity survive on Hardcore Mode?
Hawknc wrote:Ooh, a Koyaanisqatsi thread. How delightful. *popcorn*

Did you add processed cow fluids to it, or the fake processed cow fluids? Or neither?
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Restores one hundred hitpoints (or five hearts per serving). Never found Hyper Potions, Full Restores, or Faeries at the market. Cannot quaff potions in a sufficiently large quantity without becoming ill. How else would humanity survive on Hardcore Mode?

Did you add processed cow fluids to it, or the fake processed cow fluids? Or neither?

I find soysauce goes well with popcorn. Soysauce goes well with macaroni and cheese too.

I think my dad was a bit obsessed with soy sauce, and has passed it on to me.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Deva wrote:Restores one hundred hitpoints (or five hearts per serving). Never found Hyper Potions, Full Restores, or Faeries at the market. Cannot quaff potions in a sufficiently large quantity without becoming ill. How else would humanity survive on Hardcore Mode?

I find soysauce goes well with popcorn. Soysauce goes well with macaroni and cheese too.

I think my dad was a bit obsessed with soy sauce, and has passed it on to me.

I've found BBQ rubs to be excellent when sprinkled on popcorn. A little spice, a little salt... yummmm...
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

I actually decided to quit milk recently because I realized my milk habit had the same form as an addiction. There probably aren't any health benefits to doing so, but then who knows.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Didn't you used to have another username? Or is there someone with a very similar avatar?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

But Link is (arguably) not human. He's a Hylian, meaning milk is actually good for him.

Also, there's no chemicals in Hyrule!
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Brace

Postby Brace » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Didn't you used to have another username? Or is there someone with a very similar avatar?

No, I had a different username. I like this one better.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
But Link is (arguably) not human. He's a Hylian, meaning milk is actually good for him.

Also, there's no chemicals in Hyrule!

Refutes the "no chemicals" claim. Filled a prescription for the World's Finest Eye Drops at the Lakeside Laboratory. Counts as a chemical.

Also,
Wikia wrote:Humans are a race of people that include Hylians, Gerudo, round-eared non-Hylian humans, and possibly other groups.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

I stand corrected.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:23 am UTC

I certainly hop its not bad for me. I've had it for most every meal for the better part of 16 years.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:27 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Lazar wrote:

That seems inefficient. Wouldn't it be easier to just keep it in the horses? Or do they lack the necessary storage facilities?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:50 am UTC

Silly! They put goose poop in horses. Cow poop goes in goats. Haven't you ever been on a farm?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Samik

Postby Samik » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:48 am UTC

*content removed because everything I ever type over the next 12.5 hours will fit better with in the "actual drnukenness" thread".

Suffice to say I wish I had a Devatm AI in my house to give me shit.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:46 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:I certainly hop its not bad for me. I've had it for most every meal for the better part of 16 years.
Cereal every morning!

mrron

Postby mrron » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

I have heard the same thing. Breast milk is health for a baby but animal milk is not a good choice.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

There are those who claim that eating only those things known to our paelolithich ancestors is the only way to have a "healthy" diet. How they know that diet was particularly healthy is beyond me. We know nothing about life expectancy, etc. of that population.
Also, evolution continues to work on humanity, allowing those who can absorb nutrients from the widest possible base to breed more regularly and survive in more conditions.
I have grown milk-fed pumpkins (an experiment after reading Wilder's Farmer Boy) and they get bigger and sweeter than non milk fed pumpkins. Yet there isn't a squash around that has a history of consuming dairy products.
As it is, milk is a nutritionally dense food, and plenty of people enjoy consuming it and its by-products.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

pizzazz

Postby pizzazz » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:33 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:There are those who claim that eating only those things known to our paelolithich ancestors is the only way to have a "healthy" diet. How they know that diet was particularly healthy is beyond me. We know nothing about life expectancy, etc. of that population.

I know somebody who's doing this (only heating nuts, berries, raw or lightly cooked meat of certain types, etc.). The most common rationale appears to be that our digestive system evolved based on such a diet and so the rise of farming, leading to diets based heavily on cereal grains, was bad for our digestive systems, and is the primary reason behind many dietary problems today (obesity, diabetes). When I pointed out that
a) there are and have been lots of people who lead lives that were plenty healthy, given the medical care available, for thousands of years, despite eating more cereal grains than people today
b) those people likely had short lifespans
he just sort of shrugged. In other words, it baffles me too.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:39 am UTC

mrron wrote:I have heard the same thing. Breast milk is health for a baby but animal milk is not a good choice.

Breast milk has exactly the correct nutrients for a baby's needs (as well as other benefits like boosting the immune system). Animal milk is generally deficient in one way or another, and babies don't have the varied diets that adults do to make up the difference.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
Amishdemon wrote:I certainly hop its not bad for me. I've had it for most every meal for the better part of 16 years.
Cereal every morning!

And cereal for snacks at least twice a day.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:
mrron wrote:I have heard the same thing. Breast milk is health for a baby but animal milk is not a good choice.

Breast milk has exactly the correct nutrients for a baby's needs (as well as other benefits like boosting the immune system). Animal milk is generally deficient in one way or another, and babies don't have the varied diets that adults do to make up the difference.

Which is why formula companies telling people not to breastfeed because their formula is better is ludicrous. That doesn't, however, mean milk is bad for you (it is for me, kinda, I'm lactose intolerant).
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

ewomack

Postby ewomack » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:01 am UTC

As a lactose intolerant type person, I have to agree with this thread. Though most people I know still drink the stuff even though we're not supposed to be able to digest it past age 3 or whatever... we do anyway. I drink it to the peril of myself and others in my vicinity.
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Parle6

Postby Parle6 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:05 am UTC

I am on a medication which turns off my appetite.
So in the last 2 days - I've gotten less than 1000 calories.

I just want fluids, I can manage fluids but eating is -- ehh.. I'll nibble but I won't eat. It's like - I know my body needs the food, I know my stomach is empty and protesting but I'm not hungry? I can take bites but it's not good enough.

But fluids - I can manage fluids. [Although I can't make protein smoothies or obtain whey protein at the exact moment] So I was thinking about whole milk since people say it's got more fat in it. I could use the fat - it won't really hurt...

But why else is whole milk bad for you?
I am -- not underweight but almost underweight.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:16 am UTC

ewomack wrote:As a lactose intolerant type person, I have to agree with this thread. Though most people I know still drink the stuff even though we're not supposed to be able to digest it past age 3 or whatever... we do anyway. I drink it to the peril of myself and others in my vicinity.

If you were allergic to peanuts, would you be telling people not the eat them because they're bad for you? Despite them only being bad for a certain subset of the population.

Also, humans (especially Europeans) evolved the ability to drink milk - probably because it was good for them way back when (the calcium and vitamin D is particularly useful). People against milk seem to ignore the fact that we did evolve the ability to drink it, so we can stop with this ridiculous notion that we shouldn't be able to drink it.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “General”