Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: Boy Thread: All Roads Lead To Back Bacon

Postby Belial » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:But it's been quite a while since I've looked in to the pulmonaryblood system,

The word you want is "circulatory"

Is that why surface veins are bluish? Are arteries more red-purple? 'Cause of the oxygen? Someone told me something to that effect once.

Yes.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

Discussions on circulation are manly.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

Sorta. Apparently it's because the veins just simply aren't as oxygenated as the arteries, so they're kinda in a state of oxygen deprivation. Sorta like what happens when you hold your breath too long.

Oxygenated blood is bright red. Non-oxygenated blood (deoxygenated?) is dark red.

Belial wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:SexyTalon wrote:
But it's been quite a while since I've looked in to the pulmonaryblood system,
The word you want is "circulatory"

And yeah, which is why I edited the hell out of that post when I realized my fuckup. Not even sure what I settled on at this point. So, to Circulatory, which is correct!

Chfan wrote:Discussions on circulation are manly.

Knowing how your body works so that, in a time of crisis, you can temporarily replace missing vessels with rubber hoses - Manly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

I thought that blood vessels appeared blue because of refraction. Like why the sky is blue...?

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

crowey wrote:I thought that blood vessels appeared blue because of refraction. Like why the sky is blue...?
By that logic, why isn't everything in the world blue?
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Da ba dee da ba dii...

They/them

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

crowey wrote:I thought that blood vessels appeared blue because of refraction. Like why the sky is blue...?
I've spoken to surgeons and they've said this.
Like SexyTalon said: "Oxygenated blood is bright red. Non-oxygenated blood (deoxygenated?) is dark red."
Ⓞⓞ◯

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Bratwurst is way better than bacon.

That's right, I said it.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Jos

Postby Jos » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:Bratwurst is way better than bacon.

That's right, I said it.

let's roll up the sleeves and take this in RW instead!
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

The blood vessels on the lungs are capillaries, just the O2 and CO2 go in opposite directions. Unless you mean the alveoli, which are the (for want of a better word) air sacks that increase surface area for diffusion.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
By that logic, why isn't everything in the world blue?

Because not everything refracts light the same way? Presumably you have to look through a lot of air to get the blue refraction for the sky, so things close up (like most stuff we see) it's more about the reflected light off the object, not the small amount of refraction inbetween....
to be honest, I'm very far from being a physicist and I don't really get how it works, I'm just parroting what I've been told.

luketheduke
Sour Kraut

Postby luketheduke » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

Arteries go away from the heart, veins go back to the heart, so the lung artery has low oxygenation, the lung vein has high oxygenation. And of course there are also capillaries in there, and yes, alveoli.

*looks it up* *yup, correct*

Re the sky: The sky should be black (like outer space) but the floating particles in the air reflect light, so it gets blue instead.
As long as I know how to love / I know I'll stay alive /
'cause I've got all my life to live / and I've got all my love to give / and I'll survive /
I will survive

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

Bratwurst wins, absolutely.

Re sky: it is blue due to Rayleigh scattering, one of the best scatterings of all! This also explains why at sunset you get red instead. It is most definitely a refraction effect.

Arteries go Away! It is a handy mnemonic.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

luketheduke wrote:the floating particles in the air
Err, you mean "the air"?
Here's a good explanation of why the sky is blue.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

luketheduke
Sour Kraut

Postby luketheduke » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

Ah, I apologize.
As long as I know how to love / I know I'll stay alive /
'cause I've got all my life to live / and I've got all my love to give / and I'll survive /
I will survive

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Like SexyTalon said: "Oxygenated blood is bright red. Non-oxygenated blood (deoxygenated?) is dark red."

Yes, our organs consume light: they take the light from bright red blood, and reject dark red blood.

(Also, I ate delicious sausages today).

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:52 pm UTC

Grop wrote:Yes, our organs consume light: they take the light from bright red blood, and reject dark red blood.

Haha, this sounds like it could have come from a livejournal poem or something.

yazdi

Postby yazdi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Sorta. Apparently it's because the veins just simply aren't as oxygenated as the arteries, so they're kinda in a state of oxygen deprivation. Sorta like what happens when you hold your breath too long.

That's not entirely true. Veins have an oxygen saturation of around 70% (in people with no respiratory problems). When you hold your breath it's extremely unlikely that youre going to see any significant dip in oxygen saturation because breathing is mainly regulated by CO2 in healthy individuals. You can only get around that by hyperventilating beforehand, but that's at least when done excessively potentially dangerous (respiratory alkalosis etc.)

Also: It's extremely unlikely that anyone would die from a wound to the finger. There simply isn't that much blood flow. Even fainting from blood loss is only possible if you simply let it flow for a significant amount of time. I'd be amazed if anyone died from such a wound. The bigger problem might be loss of the finger because no more blood gets to it. That's also why you shouldn't apply so much pressure that the finger turns purple, but that's not very likely either.

Edit:
In slightly related news, I yesterday injected myself in the stomach. I have newfound respect for insulin dependent diabetics. They have to be badass to be able to do that regularly.

rnew
RAAAAAAGGGHHH I'M A DINOSAUR

Postby rnew » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:19 pm UTC

yazdi wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Sorta. Apparently it's because the veins just simply aren't as oxygenated as the arteries, so they're kinda in a state of oxygen deprivation. Sorta like what happens when you hold your breath too long.
That's not entirely true.
That's why he said sorta and kinda
Meowgan wrote:Rnew, you're so hot. Boom!
Zohar wrote:Seriously rnew, I cannot get over how awesome your avatar is. It brings up a smile every time I see it.

crowey

Postby crowey » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

self injecting is really weird isn't it? The first time I did it it took me about 20 mins, I kept psyching myself out. (I had a week long course of heparin, I had to inject it into my stomach fat. yeuch)

postinonthenets

Postby postinonthenets » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

How does one meet dudes? Seriously, I just moved to a new city, right out of college and I have no idea how to go about making dude friends.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

I am led to understand that one locates the "alpha-dude" and attempts to stare him down. If he is cowed, he recognizes your dominance and his pack is yours. However, if he refuses to back down, it may come to physical combat. To the victor go the defeated party's friends and mating prospects.

This is totally how social interaction works.

They/them

postinonthenets

Postby postinonthenets » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:29 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I am led to understand that one locates the "alpha-dude" and attempts to stare him down. If he is cowed, he recognizes your dominance and his pack is yours. However, if he refuses to back down, it may come to physical combat. To the victor go the defeated party's friends and mating prospects.

This is totally how social interaction works.

:lol:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

One time I was really drunk and leaning heavily on the bar, eyes unfocused and staring at a glorious pair of breasts across the way, when this clean cut, well built guy walks towards me and sits next to me at the bar. I sort of bear his way and sit as straight as I'm capable of and issue the mightiest challenge I could ("wufugyuwant?") when he smiled and said he couldn't help me eying him from across the way, and could he buy me a drink....

And who doesn't like free drinks and friendly dudes to talk with right?! I felt bad in the end, as I absolutely had no idea what was going on, and wasted a bit of his night and his wallet, until he put his hand on my thigh and suddenly I found myself sober enough to realize why the bartender had been smirking at me this whole time. Whatever, the dudes a good drinking buddy now.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Trojan Hamster

Postby Trojan Hamster » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

On the subject of injuries, my dad was working on building a garage once when his nail gun ricocheted a shot into his hand. Claiming it was "not that bad" despite the blood running down his arm, he pulled out the nail and went back to work. Unfortunately my dad tends to get angry when he gets hurt rather than taking a step back to reassess the situation, so a short while later he had another ricochet, this time through his wrist (and involving quite a bit more blood). After much convincing from my mother we finally got him to go to the hospital and get the wounds taken care of, but he was still back out there working later that evening.

It's my perverse life goal to top that at some point. :lol:

So far my best is riding downhill around 25 mph on a bike in the middle of windstorm, a branch breaks off a tree and lands right in front of me with no time to stop. I *flew* like a fricken California Condor before landing on my left arm and rolling about 15 feet on pavement. My arm was swollen, in excruciating pain and I couldn't move it (I was pretty sure I broke something at the time). Never the less, being the stubborn idiot I am, I turned down two offers for a ride home claiming it was "not that bad", and rode my bike the remaining 6 miles home with one working arm in the middle of a windstorm.

I still couldn't move my arm the next day so after some convincing from coworkers I went to the doctor for xrays, amazingly it was just the worst sort of bruising have yet to endure (most of my arm muscles were totally wrecked). Apparently I'm pretty good at tucking and rolling in high speed collisions with mother nature, who I'm now fairly certain has it in for me.

Oh and for the record, that story is why helmets are manly. My head skipped off the pavement twice during the landing, and if I hadn't been wearing one I wouldn't have had the opportunity to be a stubborn jackass afterward :P

liltimmy

Postby liltimmy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

It turns out I've built up a huge tolerance to caffeine over the past few years.
Apparently drinking masses of coffee combined with Pro-plus is bad for you. I know that I feel really shit if I don't have at least two or three cups of coffee a day.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:One time I was really drunk and leaning heavily on the bar, eyes unfocused and staring at a glorious pair of breasts across the way, when this clean cut, well built guy walks towards me and sits next to me at the bar. I sort of bear his way and sit as straight as I'm capable of and issue the mightiest challenge I could ("wufugyuwant?") when he smiled and said he couldn't help me eying him from across the way, and could he buy me a drink....

And who doesn't like free drinks and friendly dudes to talk with right?! I felt bad in the end, as I absolutely had no idea what was going on, and wasted a bit of his night and his wallet, until he put his hand on my thigh and suddenly I found myself sober enough to realize why the bartender had been smirking at me this whole time. Whatever, the dudes a good drinking buddy now.
Are his breasts glorious?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

I think I was actually staring at a statue, the bust of Aurora or something.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

Ah I totally understand.
Spoiler:
Hells yea, I'd- wait. Aurora.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

Is that meant to be something about the thing in her ear? 'cos I don't get it.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

Uhura sounds like Aurora. And is hot.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

smw543

Postby smw543 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Aurora=/=Uhura

Bit of a stretch, but I'll take it; she did have some glorious breasts. Uhura ushered me into manhood, along with Lois Nettelton in that episode where the Earth is spiraling in toward the sun (spoiler: it's a dream! They're actually getting farther from the sun!) Yeah, I watched a lot of Sci-Fi SyFy as a kid.

EDIT: Goddamn ninjas
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

So who's Aurara? I know storm is Ororo, but that's irrelevant. My brain is slowly melting, and I have you to thank.
Weeks wrote:

smw543

Postby smw543 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:So who's Aurara? I know storm is Ororo, but that's irrelevant. My brain is slowly melting, and I have you to thank.
Aurora: Roman goddess of dawn. If you weren't aware, the Romans were fond of sculpting busts of various political and religious figures. Why? Because the Greeks did it, of course.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

yazdi

Postby yazdi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

rnew wrote:
yazdi wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Sorta. Apparently it's because the veins just simply aren't as oxygenated as the arteries, so they're kinda in a state of oxygen deprivation. Sorta like what happens when you hold your breath too long.
That's not entirely true.
That's why he said sorta and kinda

Well, yes, but I'm a pedant and smartass :roll:

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

And we're pedants and smartasses about words. Your move.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 01, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

Gentlemen:

Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri May 01, 2009 4:35 pm UTC

You can't start a sentence with and. That is all.
Weeks wrote:

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 01, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

I would put speech marks, but that is implied by the fact that it is a forum post in a thread with a conversational style. In case you hadn't noticed.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri May 01, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

I haven't been having a very manly day. I need something to get my testosterone level up.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Return to “General”