Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rakysh

Re: Boy Thread: All Roads Got Back

Postby Rakysh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:07 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

So similar to sweater vests?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:08 am UTC

A very specific kind, with piping and a distinctive stripe pattern.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:07 am UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:44 am UTC

So I'm going to a barbeque tomorrow, first in a while. I can't decide what meat to cook. For the vegetables I will buy an eggplant/aubergine, slice it lengthwise and brush with olive oil using a rosemary branch, and a little salt and pepper - this is pretty ace. But I'm not sure I feel like a steak - maybe I do - perhaps I should look for some fancy sausages, maybe pork and fennel... any other suggestions?

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:04 am UTC

Sausages are a bit touch and go on barbecues I find.

I really like the lamb kebabs some places do, they seem to work out really well. Most kebabs end up pretty good, actually. You get the easy to cook well bit of the small meat bits, without those small meat bits ending up in the flames. They also end up better when marinaded because the marinade gets on more of the meat.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:09 am UTC

I've actually started thinking about fish, I'm not in the mood for lamb. Although I do love a good kebab, I can get excellent ones cooked on a charcoal thing at one of the many Turkish restaurants near me. I usually go for the lamb chops. :D

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

Ah, don't know much about fish barbecuing. I think I did rainbow trout wrapped in tin foil with lemon slices once? That was alright.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

As long as you do it without a shirt, your manliness will make the meat delicious.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

Dasboard wrote:As long as you do it without a shirt, your manliness will make the meat delicious.

Words to live by!

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

And we were doing so well... you just had to bring up the concept of manliness again, didn't you?
That was almsot a page of actual discussion!
Ⓞⓞ◯

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:30 am UTC

dubsola wrote:I've actually started thinking about fish, I'm not in the mood for lamb. Although I do love a good kebab, I can get excellent ones cooked on a charcoal thing at one of the many Turkish restaurants near me. I usually go for the lamb chops. :D

I've heard of lobster kabobs, but I have no actual experience in making them. Lobster seems a little expensive for experimenting, I think.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:51 am UTC

http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Summer_Pork_Kebabs.aspx This looks nice, might try it some time.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed May 12, 2010 3:50 am UTC

Ah, what the hell, this thread can have a serious moment.

What do other guys think of the prospect of this? Personally, I would be really happy if it works out - maybe it's the engineering streak in me, but I'd like to be able to ditch condoms and not leave a single point of failure.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed May 12, 2010 4:56 am UTC

Heh, sounds less invasive than a vasectomy. Still isn't permanent, if it really does work. If I get married, and if this procedure actually works, I know what I'm doing a few nights before the wedding... (insert bachelor party jokes here).
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

In stores now.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed May 12, 2010 5:27 am UTC

dubsola wrote:I've actually started thinking about fish, I'm not in the mood for lamb. Although I do love a good kebab, I can get excellent ones cooked on a charcoal thing at one of the many Turkish restaurants near me. I usually go for the lamb chops. :D

If you can get the fish in filleted form, soak them in lemon juice(and maybe a little pepper) in a fridge overnight before the barbecue(you probably don't need to cover them entirely, just enough juice to soak into the flesh), then wrap them in tin foil and place on the grilling plate. Thickness of the fillets, and heat of the barbecue can make cooking time vary, but I'd check them every 2-3 minutes, and turn them if not cooked the whole way through.

Edit: And where I say tin foil, I of course mean Al-foil.
Last edited by LuNatic on Thu May 13, 2010 5:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed May 12, 2010 5:33 am UTC

Sounds brilliant, although I'd still always be more comfortable using my own form of birth control, if only because I'm absolutely sure I've taken it, and therefore don't need to worry about the possibility of having potentially unprotected sex. But it would be brilliant for men to be able to have the option of a non-barrier method of birth control, so that they can have that same peace of mind. (Of course, ideally we're able to trust our partners enough that if they say they're on BC, we believe 'em, so one partner being on reliable birth control ought to be sufficient; for casual sex partners, a condom's a good idea anyway to prevent STD transmission, so it's a bit of a moot point.)
Last edited by GraphiteGirl on Wed May 12, 2010 2:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 12, 2010 12:41 pm UTC

No doubt, but there's also enough crap out there that can fuck with hormonal birth control that you may not get all the warnings about - particularly if you're sick with something that causes you to not think straight and get hooked up with a healthy dose of antibiotics and completely zone out when they mention that it's going to interfere with your birth control.

There's also nothing wrong with using two forms anyway. But yeah, I've always said that if they came out with a pill or shot or something, I'd be all for it and though I've not read much of the article and have no idea how it works, if it works - awesome.

I suppose the issue I have with it - and they have with it - and the testing will figure out - is the "up to six months" bit. Up to is a huge chunk of time... about six months worth. If Bob's not producing for six months and Tom isn't producing for six days, both count as falling under the "Up to six months" claim.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed May 12, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

the article link wrote:Based on early work, University of North Carolina experts believe a blast of ultrasound to the testes can safely stop sperm production for six months.
It doesn't say up to 6 months, it says 6 months. The word I have issue with is "believe". I can believe that I can fly but it doesn't help me if I jump off a tall building. Although yeah, testing and stuff will figure it out.

Pre-post edit: Okay did searching and I found the original press release from UNC here: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 051010.php and there it does say "up to 6 months".

I did a scholar, pubmed, and highwire search and none return any results authored by J Tsuruta with keywords "contraceptive" and "ultrasound" or other similar variants so as far as I can tell there is no published data yet.

A study in dogs showed a decrease in semen quality but it was only 5 dogs (not surprising, dogs are hard to get approval for) but that is the only paper I found in a quick 15/20 min search that has actually tried this method.

I think there is a way to find grant applications but I cannot remember how. If I can find it I'll post that here too. I'd be interested to read their background and aims.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 12, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:
the article link wrote:Based on early work, University of North Carolina experts believe a blast of ultrasound to the testes can safely stop sperm production for six months.
It doesn't say up to 6 months, it says 6 months. The word I have issue with is "believe". I can believe that I can fly but it doesn't help me if I jump off a tall building. Although yeah, testing and stuff will figure it out.

Pre-post edit: Okay did searching and I found the original press release from UNC here: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 051010.php and there it does say "up to 6 months".
In the article linked, I was using the quote from a person, not the jibbajabba someone wrote. Article had this
Lead researcher Dr James Tsuruta said: "We think this could provide men with up to six months of reliable, low-cost, non-hormonal contraception from a single round of treatment.

So.. that's where I got the up to bit.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Wed May 12, 2010 3:14 pm UTC

The other thing that needs to be sorted with this form of contraception is the fact that the sperm reserves need to be used up before the man becomes infertile...I'm not quite sure when you'd know the sperm had all gone? Do you just assume you need to use another form for about a month and then hope for the best?
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 12, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

I thought it was only viable for a few days. Hm. This makes me realize I do not know for certain.

To the Researchatorium!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed May 12, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Maybe you are thinking the "sperm can wait, eggs can't"? (sperm are good for 4 days to fertilize, eggs only about 24 hrs) As far as inside the male body though, they are fine for much longer like spacemonkey said.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed May 12, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

Pretty sure you're supposed to wait 3-4 months after a vasectomy before you cease using some other form of birth control, because it can take that long for all of the tubes to be clear of sperm.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Wed May 12, 2010 7:59 pm UTC

Wasn't there research for a medicine that would somehow change the sperm so they they were incapable of fertilizing the egg for a set period of time?
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Thu May 13, 2010 4:39 am UTC

Clearly the solution here is for you and your partner to do your absolute darndest to clear those tubes out. It's for the relationship, you know! ;)

In stores now.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu May 13, 2010 6:35 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Pretty sure you're supposed to wait 3-4 months after a vasectomy before you cease using some other form of birth control, because it can take that long for all of the tubes to be clear of sperm.
so, if they ultrasounded the entire genital area, wouldn't it kill all the sperm?
also, another reason this would be awesome. hormonal birth control, be in pills or shot, or IUD, fucks with a girl. not always, some are way more affected than others. it would be real awesome to have a way to skip the hormonal bullshit we go through.
ImageImageImageImageImage

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu May 13, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

Also if it works, they could presumably do it just after a vasectomy. Insta-sterilisation!

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Thu May 13, 2010 2:01 pm UTC

At first I read it as ultraviolet. But then I noticed my mistake, but if they're going to promote this, they should use something else to avoid confusion.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 13, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

..... No. Just... no. If a person is looking in to temporary sterilization, I should hope that they take the time to carefully read what's going on.

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Thu May 13, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If a person is looking in to temporary sterilization, I should hope that they take the time to carefully read what's going on.

Read!? You're suggesting that we READ something!?

In 'Murica, we don't READ. We trust that whatever our doctor is giving us (and charging us an arm and a leg for) is going to work. And when it doesn't? MALPRACTICE! Ch-Ching! *eyes light up dollar signs*

On a serious note, I think this would be a great idea, unfortunately there have been many, many different failed methods of male birth control so far. I'm glad that they keep coming up with them, but I'm done getting hopeful until someone shows me one that actually WORKS, not just "we expect that doing X may work". I'm still considering having an 'ectomy done, but the "not always reversible" part scares me. I know that my current viewpoint is "I don't want kids, now or ever", but I don't trust that won't change. I like my genes; if someday I change my mind and want to have kids, I'd rather those kids have my genes than any alternative (adoption, mailman, etc).
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 13, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

So freeze a sample or twelve then get snipped.

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Thu May 13, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

I've considered it - however the cost to clean and keep a frozen sample "just in case" is rather high (couple hundred dollars per sample for cleaning and about a hundred dollars per sample per year for storage), and the odds of a successful fertilization are quite low. To keep enough samples to have a good shot at success (like you said, a dozen is about the right number to be safe) is, to me, almost prohibitively expensive in comparison to the alternative. For now, I'll just stick with the tried and true condoms and/or female birth control. It's cheaper that way, and I really don't mind wearing a rubber.

On that note, how many guys have ever broken a condom? I've broken ONE out of some number of hundreds that I've used - and the instant it broke, i KNEW it broke, so I could stop and replace it without any "accidents". I've heard stories about guys who break them all the time, or break them and "don't realize it", and I simply don't understand that.

Note: The one I broke was an off-brand that was given to me by one of those "safe sex" tables at college. Because of it, I exclusively use Trojans anymore, I have never broken one of them.
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 13, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

From what I understand, most breakages are due to either improperly wearing it or insufficient lube. I've had them break and it's pretty obvious when it happens.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu May 13, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

I got my Laser-V in my late 20's and I got asked about thirty times, at every single step of the way, "Are you sure? You're so young!" When I responded that I had three kids and I was only 27, their response was always "Aaaahhh, yes, you definitely need this."

FRICKIN' LASERS!

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Thu May 13, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

Sig pic worked so well with that.

I've had one break, and yeah. I knew. I knew very well. Girlfriend just uses the pill, so they're a non-issue for us now anyway.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri May 14, 2010 3:37 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I got my Laser-V in my late 20's and I got asked about thirty times, at every single step of the way, "Are you sure? You're so young!" When I responded that I had three kids and I was only 27, their response was always "Aaaahhh, yes, you definitely need this."

FRICKIN' LASERS!

Heh, somehow a vasectomy with lasers just seems even more manly. Don't ask me why, it just does.

Now if there was a way to do it with a plasma lance...

In stores now.

.Salo.

Postby .Salo. » Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm UTC

It's comforting to know we can now preserve our genetic material as a species. When can we start launching the stuff to far away planets?

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Wed May 19, 2010 10:02 pm UTC

Pretty sure we already did. We definitely sent an assortment of animal DNA.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu May 20, 2010 5:36 am UTC

yeah, eventually we'll collect enough sperm at the banks so that we can do away with the male population as a whole. think amazons, but with science!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “General”