Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Re: Boy Thread: put a hat on ur butt

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:08 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote::shock:

GIVE BACK MY DAUGHTERS.

:shock:

Are either of them named after characters from Firefly? Older one seriously interested in Percy Jackson and Greek mythology?
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:... no. OK, we're good. Just clones then.

Whew. had me worried there a moment.

:lol:

If younger daughter is like mine, you have my sympathy ("No dear, 3AM is not an acceptable time to try to learn how to play your sister's keyboard by slamming the keys as hard as you can with the volume on max. No, we are not going to go for a run right now. No, the dog doesn't want to either.")
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:35 pm UTC

Her big thing is "Just because it's bedtime doesn't mean I need to stop drawing, right? Until midnight? Maybe do some arts and crafts? Play with the cats? Look, I just want to sort my Pokemon cards one more time..."

EVERYONE IS TRYING TO SLEEP. GO TO BED. WHERE DID YOU EVEN GET POKEMON CARDS. YOU HAVE NO MONEY.

My older girl is big into MMA, and art. She is currently writing a comic book where an evil Elsa has a crate of 500 'Spare Annas' that she experiments on. At one point one of the Annas escaped, and in the ensuing explosion all the other 499 Annas reached critical mass. The comic ended with Elsa having to order another 500-pack from the Clone Sister Corporation. She's also made up a completely fictional language for the Spare Annas, and has the translations in the footnotes of each page.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:47 pm UTC

doogly wrote:
BattleMoose wrote:The plus side is, no back hair, or chest hair...

This is not a plus.

Yeah, having only one chest hair is disappointing.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:19 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Her big thing is "Just because it's bedtime doesn't mean I need to stop drawing, right? Until midnight? Maybe do some arts and crafts? Play with the cats? Look, I just want to sort my Pokemon cards one more time..."

EVERYONE IS TRYING TO SLEEP. GO TO BED. WHERE DID YOU EVEN GET POKEMON CARDS. YOU HAVE NO MONEY.

My older girl is big into MMA, and art. She is currently writing a comic book where an evil Elsa has a crate of 500 'Spare Annas' that she experiments on. At one point one of the Annas escaped, and in the ensuing explosion all the other 499 Annas reached critical mass. The comic ended with Elsa having to order another 500-pack from the Clone Sister Corporation. She's also made up a completely fictional language for the Spare Annas, and has the translations in the footnotes of each page.

This is has awesome all over it. Just saying.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

natraj

Postby natraj » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:26 pm UTC

p much every time mj posts anything about his kids it leaves me like *_*. they sound like they are kind of just made of awesome.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:44 pm UTC

They are awesome, held together with a glue composed chiefly of insanity and rebellion.

roband

Postby roband » Fri May 29, 2015 11:42 am UTC

Took the plunge on my shortest hair cut yet and I don't hate how it looks. Slowly, slowly moving towards the inevitable shaved head.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:53 pm UTC

Can anyone help me out with "suit size"?

How can one number and one letter accurately convey jacket and trouser size at the same time?

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:26 pm UTC

That's a thing?

Whenever I've seen suits sold the jacket and trousers are sized separately.

Using the same size for both seems like a recipe for sadness. Not everyone is the same shape.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:31 pm UTC

Yeah, I've only ever seen jacket and trousers as being separate - you choose the jacket, then the trousers, then pay for them either separately or together depending on the shop.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:32 pm UTC

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:36 pm UTC

Huh. Wouldn't trust their sizings. You could try the mix and match section, I guess.

It looks like the short/regular/long is probably for trouser length, and they are assuming waist based on jacket size.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:37 pm UTC

Oh, you're looking at affordable suits. There's your problem right there.

Yeah, suits that fit at least slightly will start at three or four times that much.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:39 pm UTC

Not necessarily. Primark definitely lets you buy suits in bits and those are definitely affordable.
GNU Terry Pratchett

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:45 pm UTC

Tbh, that's just the first suit I saw which fit my example.
I'm looking at maybe twice that price.

Poxic brings up a different but similar point - fitting well versus not fitting well, which is also a concern.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:50 pm UTC

This is why I always advise trying clothes on first. My bf hates having to do it, but both he and I are not proportioned in the average way, so it saves a lot of trouble later on. Unless it's the exact same style as before from the same shop, we can never be certain if something will actually fit like the sizing says it should.
GNU Terry Pratchett

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:51 pm UTC

Yeah, I'll almost certainly end up in the shop. Just wanted to know if there was any logic behind the weird sizing method.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:05 pm UTC

I've not had great experiences with moss bros. Both times I've shopped there they have been kind of pushy on the upsell, and have also tried to sell me suits that didn't really fit properly just so I would buy something. It's possible that my experiences were atypical (both were in the Cambridge store), but I might be tempted to either go somewhere else, or, if you can, take someone with you whose opinion you trust on clothes to give an independent opinion on the fit (that's probably not a bad idea wherever you go).

Personally I find the thing that is hardest to get to fit on an off-the-shelf suit (said like I've had any other kind...) is the shoulder pads. It's kind of important that they end where your actual shoulder ends, because it's really obvious if that isn't the case.

Angua wrote:My bf hates having to do it

Yup, me too, but it's the only way. I always come up with a solid game plan first: this shop, then this shop, then lunch, then this shop, then a bookshop as a reward, one final shop, and if I still haven't found anything I'm going home. I also set a time-limit.

I started doing that after spending a total of 10 hours unsuccessfully looking for walking sandals that fitted me (one of my feet is shorter, wider and higher than the other one by a noticeable margin, which makes shoes a little tricky sometimes).

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:26 am UTC

the short regular long mostly refers to the sleeve length, and a little the torso length, then they assume if you are this manny torsos/wingspans, you must be this many legs. it's not the worst way to guess as far as massed produced shit goes, with a good algorythm on basic proportions. but yeah, always buy pants seperate. also, also. it's not that difficult to fit a suit better.
ImageImageImageImageImage

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:59 am UTC

I think the biggest problem with it is that they need to assume some relationship between chest and waist size which to me seems a lot less reasonable than assuming a relationship between wingspan and height.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:52 pm UTC

Another option is to find a local tailor who can customise the suit for you. It is often surprising cheap to have it done, and a well-tailored suit will feel and fit SO much better.

Most small cities and larger have at least one tailor, but it might be one of those "you have to know someone" sort of things.
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:22 am UTC

So, er ... I bought myself a hat. It's a little bit ridiculous. Okay, rather ridiculous. I don't care. I like it.
hat1.jpg

hat2.jpg

I also got some sunglasses ... I can't decide if the combination is awesome or awful.
hat3.jpg

Apologies for the rubbish quality camera and the dolphin on the wall. I think he thinks it's the sea because it's blue.

EDIT: Also, sorry, the hat's not on my butt.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:48 am UTC

you don't look like a cat at all!

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:53 am UTC

Chiming In:
The hat and glasses are awesome.

I think there is a down side to that look.
You really Must act as serious as the look.

No screwing around, acting like you are your age.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:58 am UTC

Yes, as serious as a crocodile. By the way, I didn't know Mick Dundee had a son.

before you ask. Yes, I do mean that as a compliment.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:41 am UTC

Neat hat!

Oooh, that reminds me - I need to buy a hat today (no, seriously, I was medically advised that I need to buy a hat).

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:05 am UTC

slinches wrote:Yes, as serious as a crocodile. By the way, I didn't know Mick Dundee had a son.

before you ask. Yes, I do mean that as a compliment.

You think it looks Australian?
I think it looks Russian
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:44 pm UTC

so recently i got myself a v nice bespoke suit made because i did not own even a single suit for actual occasions where i might need to wear one, and also finding really decent menswhere when you are small and trans and femme is obnoxious both in terms of finding things in your size AND in terms of having obnoxious store people get snotty at you for shopping in The Wrong Place, and also because i am proportioned sort of like a spider monkey so if anything fits me at the waist it definitely doesn't fit me in the limbs!

but anyway now i have an excellent suit and may in the future purchase a SECOND because man the tailor was fantastic.

but what i DON'T have is any dress shoes at all. what is The Right Thing to look for in a dress shoe? what makes a dress shoe classy? i have no idea about the fashion of dress shoes. i want something just versatile for wearing to formallish occasions.

i have had difficulties in shopping because i am vegan and finding NICE vegan men's dress shoes is hard; finding nice vegan women's shoes is pretty easy and finding cheap men's vegan's dress shoes is easy, but i have such a nice suit and i want a good long-lasting classy-looking shoe to go with it. also as mentioned before i am small so when shopping In Person a) lots of people snippily telling me ofc we don't have that size you're in The Wrong Section b) lots of stores don't carry sizes down to a men's 6.

i have been looking here and here at the moment, do any of those shoes stand out as good contenders for filling the role of solid dependable dress shoe to look nice with suits?

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:23 am UTC

What color is your suit? This guide (although I'm not a big fan of the tone of some of the rest of the site) does a pretty good job, I think, of covering which colors of shoes are supposed to match with which color suit. One disagreement I have seen between that and other similar guides is that others are more permissive about putting dark brown (but still only dark, never light brown) shoes with a charcoal / dark grey suit.

As far as style, I think the Executive from Brave GentleMan looks (from the limited views available) like the quintessential classic goes-with-a-suit shoe. They're also wicked expensive. The City Derbys by Will's at VeganChic are also pretty classic (although it looks like their sizes are very limited), whereas the plain Men's Derby by Will's might be a bit on the casual side for formal occasions. The Classic Oxford - Dennis by Novacs is solid.
Wingtips / brogued shoes (with all the little decorative holes poked in them) are probably not what you'll want to start with for your primary pair of shoes. Also, the thicker the sole, the less dressy the shoe, generally speaking.
Hi you.
She(?!)

natraj

Postby natraj » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:11 pm UTC

thanks that is p helpful! my suit is a deep plum colour. i was thinking probably black shoes b/c similar to navy i think it could go well with many brown shoes but the next time i get a suit it will likely be grey or black, and i don't want to have to get a second pair of shoes cuz black shoes go with more things.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:08 pm UTC

Black shoes match nearly everything (unless you are wearing white, a pale colour, or brown). Dark brown is a close second, but you've got to have a belt that matches to bring it together.

With a deep plum, personally I'd go dark brown - both are warm colours, and the black I think would detract from the whole outfit. YMMV, of course.
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Return to “General”