Rules for supervillainy

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ipsum

Rules for supervillainy

Postby Ipsum » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

Hi! I'd like to start this post by saying that I in no way condone the use of violence to gain power, so this will stay firmly in the realm of fiction. Now that that's done, I've noticed that in almost every aspect of fiction, comic books and fantasy especially, the villain always makes a dumb mistake that eventually leads to their downfall, and, well, that's a shame. So, I've decided that the best thing to do if anyone reading this ever become the next Dark Lord or criminal mastermind, they'll know what things to never do. Posts should be either a modification of an existing rule, or a brand new rule. I'll start:

1. Never, under any circumstances, leave your source of power lying around.
2. Don't share your entire master plan with anyone, no matter how Machiavellian and awesome it is. :P
3. Don't be too evil. No really evil ruler was in power for long.

Kithplana

Re: Rules for supervillainy

Postby Kithplana » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:33 am UTC

4. Never reinvent when you can steal: The Evil Overlord List

Ipsum

Postby Ipsum » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 am UTC

That's awesome, and relevant. Thanks for showing me!

5. Always be friendly when you don't know whether the person you're talking to is useful or not.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:47 am UTC

Don't wear a cape, ie Incredibles.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

Whenever you are in your conference room, your back shall always be to the door, your cat will be in your lap, and you will freely swivel in your egg chair despite how absolutely vulnerable these three things are when in combination.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

When taking hostages, make sure to knock them out and perfectly prepare for their awakening: Your high-profile prisoner will be a lot more impressed / terrified if the first thing they see when they wake up after their kidnapping is you, staring down at them from some sort of throne In the middle of a badass secret lair.

EDIT: When turning enemies into some sort of bio-weapon never, ever make them stronger than you are.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:15 pm UTC

9. Don't let your anger overpower your good sense.

7 needs an edit: Whenever you are in your conference room, your back will not be to the door, your cat will not be in your lap, and you will not freely swivel in your egg chair.
-Adam

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:48 pm UTC

Don't make elaborate plans hinging on a myriad details going exactly as predicted when a simple one with a much lower chance of fucking up will do.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Panonadin

Postby Panonadin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:When taking hostages, make sure to knock them out and perfectly prepare for their awakening: Your high-profile prisoner will be a lot more impressed / terrified if the first thing they see when they wake up after their kidnapping is you, staring down at them from some sort of throne In the middle of a badass secret lair.

EDIT: When turning enemies into some sort of bio-weapon never, ever make them stronger than you are.

You already messed up. Don't bring enimies into your secret lair. Kill them.

If you don't want to kill them for SOME reason. Interrogate them in a hotel on the outskirts of town.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:37 pm UTC

In Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, which you should read, Quirrel makes this list of rules. But he decides that being constrained by the list kind of spoils the fun in being a supervillain.

From chapter 20:
Spoiler:
Professor Quirrell was silent for a moment, then smiled. "Tell me, Mr. Potter, can you guess what thought went through my mind when I finished assembling the thirty-seven items on the list of things I would never do as a Dark Lord? Put yourself in my shoes - imagine yourself in my place - and guess."

Harry imagined himself looking over a list of thirty-seven things not to do once he became a Dark Lord.

"You decided that if you had to follow the whole list all the time, there wouldn't be much point in becoming a Dark Lord in the first place," Harry said.

"Precisely," said Professor Quirrell. He was grinning. "So I am going to violate rule two - which was simply 'don't brag' - and tell you about something I have done. I don't see how the knowledge could do any harm. And I strongly suspect you would have figured it out anyway, once we knew each other well enough. Nonetheless... I shall have your oath never to speak of what I am about to tell."
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

darknut

Postby darknut » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

when executing the hero put them into an easily escapable room with an execution prosess that take a long time to complete and single incompetant gaurd monitoring

and be sure to give them a full run down of your plans first
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

TheMaskedGecko

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:02 am UTC

But that easily escapable room should be inside a large metal box, airtight except for the entrance hole in the roof 50 metres up, with frictionless walls that slope slightly inwards. And a note with 'mwu-hah-hsah-hah-hah written on it.

(The only problem with this is that it leaves a hole in the floor of you top secret evil secret hidden secret evil base, which you will inevitably fall into during the final battle. So rule 47: DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE BLOODY GREAT HOLE IN YOUR FLOOR. (Or invest in a perimetre fence.))
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:59 am UTC

philsov wrote: your cat will be in your lap,

When allergic to cats don't use a bunny!! it won't have the same effect.
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:23 am UTC

When you want to squish the hero in a shrinking room, make sure the walls close quickly and there isn't a switch that can turn off the mechanism inside the room. Also, use another technique for heroes with super strength or missing sidekicks that can show up to turn off the mechanism from outside the room.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:13 pm UTC

Don't use poisoned weapons. You'll only end up having them used against you. Instead, tell your enemy that your sword (or whatever) is poisoned, then when they use it to scratch you with, you can pretend to die, then stab them in the back while their guard is down.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:06 pm UTC

Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

Don't send creatures in ascending levels of power against the legendary hero. Don't send lvl 1 goblins to burn his village. Just use a random monster from your final dungeon.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

And here we must observe that men must either be flattered or crushed; for they will revenge themselves for slight wrongs, whilst for grave ones they cannot. The injury therefore that you do to a man should be such that you need not fear his revenge.

Spoiler:
From The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli (Chapter 3)

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:08 pm UTC

Ipsum wrote:That's awesome, and relevant. Thanks for showing me!

5. Always be intimidating when you don't know whether the person you're talking to is useful or not.

FTFY.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:03 am UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:In Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, which you could read, Quirrel makes this list of rules. But he decides that being constrained by the list kind of spoils the fun in being a supervillain.

I really wanted to try reading this, but the centered text is too distracting.
Spoiler:

Dr. Diaphanous

Re: Supervillainy.

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:53 pm UTC

Internetmeme wrote:Dr. Diaphanous wrote:
In Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, which you could read, Quirrel makes this list of rules. But he decides that being constrained by the list kind of spoils the fun in being a supervillain.

I really wanted to try reading this, but the centered text is too distracting.

?

What centered text?

It does not look centered to hulk. Maybe adjust the settings in the top right (below the ad banner)?

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:03 am UTC

There is no centered text. /jedihandwave

try this: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

The Geoff

Postby The Geoff » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:14 am UTC

No monologuing.

You've got to get the laugh right, it's about standards. (Joss Whedon, Dr Horrible)

Anything other than a British accent just doesn't work. You can go Russian if the budget requires it, but your loss.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:41 am UTC

keeneal wrote:There is no centered text. /jedihandwave

try this: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Harry looked under the cloak and saw...

An open question. Harry wouldn't let his mind see something false, and so he didn't see anything, like the part of his visual cortex getting that signal was just ceasing to exist. There was a blind spot under the cloak. Harry couldn't know what was under there.

Just that it was far worse than any decaying mummy.

That sounds depressingly like my nightmares...

Also decent read, I liked that harry was still an arrogant 11 years old, with flawed reasoning and all, and not being a perfect self insert. Of course, this is only mediocrely written and Harry's social intelligence does not fit at all with the character.

Return to “General”