Why FaiD?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jorpho

Why FaiD?

Postby Jorpho » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:13 am UTC

So I was invited a while ago (for good reason) to join some other forum, but I was rather swiftly turned off when I realized they had an unmoderated subboard. I thought to myself, why would I want to join a community where people are so inclined to rip into each other that the activity requires its own sanctioned space in which to conduct it? And then I thought a little more.

I have no inclination to join The Truly Free and romp in the HURLY BURLY UNDERWORLDY SWEET RAVE PARTY. I am surprised to find that I retain just a few wisps of my shredded, tattered innocence that I am not ready to throw away. But, just what goes on in there, and why does it have to go on here rather than somewhere else?

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed in depth, but then FiaD FaiD was established a long time ago and maybe things have changed since then.
Last edited by Jorpho on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Shivahn

Re: Why FiaD?

Postby Shivahn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:32 am UTC

Wait, moderation is what's stopping people from ripping into each other?

Wait, wait, people don't rip into each other on moderated boards? I thought that was what the Individual Comics forum was for!

I am confused at your world.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:43 am UTC

Mostly the same sort of stuff that happens on the rest of the fora, though mostly it is topics that would belong in general and not the other subforums. Threads get off track more easily. Posters will use more abrasive and insulting tones when talking to other posters they don't like, but it is not orders of magnitudes worse. It is mostly just a smaller community where everyone knows almost everyone else.

I would suggest joining and poking about. If you don't like it you can always not go there again and you'll get a much more complete answer than anyone is going to want/be able to give you here.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:46 am UTC

Oh, I remember when FaiD was introduced! Now I'm feeling relatively old. I can't quite remember why though. I have a good idea it was both a social experiment and a way to keep all the ban-candidates in one place.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:59 am UTC

Discussions are taken a bit more to the extreme - the heated ones are slightly more heated, the intelligent ones are slightly more intelligent, and the silly ones are extremely entertaining.

Oh, and it's done by self policing.

(oh, and when someone is being a not-quite-bannable as in general, you can't really do much. In faid you can say "listen, obnoxious guy, say hi to my foe list" with a few more insults added in, more easily)
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

yurell

Postby yurell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:09 am UTC

Sorry, what's FiaD? I couldn't find out what it means.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:a community where people are so inclined to rip into each other that the activity requires its own sanctioned space

You haven't seen the reactions of some people to some of the stuff I post here. They don't need sanctioned space obviously.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:01 am UTC

yurell wrote:Sorry, what's FiaD? I couldn't find out what it means.

FaiD = Free as in Destitute

On one hand you're free to do as you please. On the other hand you're free to do as you please.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:02 am UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:

On one hand you're free to do as you please. On the other hand you're free to do as you please.

pssst - you missed yurell being obtuse because they've made a spelling mistake.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:25 am UTC

Angua wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:

pssst - you missed yurell being obtuse because they've made a spelling mistake.

shhh, you're ruining my joke!
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

yurell

Postby yurell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:12 pm UTC

Nope, Yurell was genuinely ignorant.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

What? You mean you ruined my opportunity to be obtuse accidentally?

grrrrrrrrr
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

missmolly

Postby missmolly » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

HI, sorry i'm new.
I as thought the same jorpho *nod*

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: Why FaiD?

Postby philsov » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

But, just what goes on in there, and why does it have to go on here rather than somewhere else?

It's pretty much just general 2.0, only that the average poster is more established and knows the other established posters better. The lack of moderation means people can spam and be asshats but usually when it's done it's done for more than just the sake of being a Oh me yarm SO KAWAII XD douchecanoe so... communication is improved?

There's also a chunk of meta discussion about active topics/posters from the rest of the fora. Seems like the best place for such things imo.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:53 pm UTC

*shrugs* I don't care why FaiD, but I will say that I prefer it to the rest of the forum. I guess it's mostly the community and not that it's unmoderated, but the lack of moderation might have contributed to forming the current community.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:08 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:*shrugs* I don't care why FaiD, but I will say that I prefer it to the rest of the forum. I guess it's mostly the community and not that it's unmoderated, but the lack of moderation might have contributed to forming the current community.

It's a harsh place full of people who are harsh not because they're harsh, but because they're protective of what they have going on, and they OMNIMEGALOATHE people who are disruptive to the collective feel. New people are always nice. New assholes are not.

Or, as one of the topics in FaiD is titled...

Unmoderated =/= being an obnoxious shithead.

Menacing Spike wrote:
Jorpho wrote:a community where people are so inclined to rip into each other that the activity requires its own sanctioned space

You haven't seen the reactions of some people to some of the stuff I post here. They don't need sanctioned space obviously.

.... heh. That's funny, as I've yet to see someone not be vicious to you. Some impoliteness when needed, sure, but not vicious. FaiD is vicious when you fuck up.

It's General, if General was staffed by ninjas who stabbed you every time you fuck up, and was on a tightrope above a pit of acid. That's on fire. And full of sharks. Who roar bears. Armed with lasers. That are also on fire. Don't ask how lasers can be on fire, they just are. And everyone remembers every time you fucked up in the past, and aren't above shoving you ever now and again if you aren't improving.

In short.. it's not for everyone. It's also, though unmoderated, more harshly moderated than several other places on the Forum. Because.. like I said, if you make a joke in poor taste here, you'll get a comment or two calling you out on it, and that's probably it. Two pages in FaiD, with lengthy illustrations of how you're a terrible person and should feel terrible.

It's not for everyone, and it's a rare person who can join and fit in immediately without a fair amount of lurking. Lurk More. Always. There is no wrong time to lurk more. FaiD takes itself absolutely seriously, except when it doesn't. And parody threads. Oh god, the parody threads. Or spinoff threads. Or someone saw a funny comment and made a thread about it. Or in reference to it. Hypotheticals don't stay hypotheticals long, as recently illustrated by TheGrammarBolshevik off a comment from myself at the expense of Weeks.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's General, if General was staffed by ninjas who stabbed you every time you fuck up, and was on a tightrope above a pit of acid. That's on fire. And full of sharks. Who roar bears. Armed with lasers. That are also on fire. Don't ask how lasers can be on fire, they just are. And everyone remembers every time you fucked up in the past, and aren't above shoving you ever now and again if you aren't improving.

We should make a commercial for faid containing all these things.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's General, if General was staffed by ninjas who stabbed you every time you fuck up, and was on a tightrope above a pit of acid. That's on fire. And full of sharks. Who roar bears. Armed with lasers. That are also on fire. Don't ask how lasers can be on fire, they just are. And everyone remembers every time you fucked up in the past, and aren't above shoving you ever now and again if you aren't improving.

I am not as worried about lasers being on fire as I am about sharks who roar bears.

I don't know what a shark roar is, but I'm sure it's not pleasant.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:07 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:Wait, moderation is what's stopping people from ripping into each other?

Wait, wait, people don't rip into each other on moderated boards?
Well, yeah, because if it gets too out of hand a mod tends to step in and put a stop to it, no?

How can I put this? Isn't it kind of like having this special arena where people can go and get into knife fights? Shouldn't people who are inclined to get into knife fights learn to divert their passions elsewhere, given that knife fighting is not a particularly healthy thing for a civilization to endorse and that they might start getting into knife fights outside of the arena with people who have no interest in knife fighting?

SecondTalon wrote:It's General, if General was staffed by ninjas who stabbed you every time you fuck up, and was on a tightrope above a pit of acid. That's on fire. And full of sharks. Who roar bears. Armed with lasers. That are also on fire. Don't ask how lasers can be on fire, they just are.
Like fire and ice and rage. It's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun. It's ancient and forever. It burns at the center of time and it can see the turn of the universe. And... it's wonderful.

[j/k that was actually quite poetic, sir.]

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:26 am UTC

Well I will just quote bluebambue:
bluebambue wrote:I would suggest joining and poking about. If you don't like it you can always not go there again and you'll get a much more complete answer than anyone is going to want/be able to give you here.

Seriously if you want to talk about faid in particular, just join and look at it. Why talk about something relying only on vague conjuncture what it might be like? It's just a few clicks away and then you could talk about the actual state of the sub forum. Don't worry it won't scare you for life, it's not a scary place , it won't corrupt you. Your innocence is fairly safe. The most you have to expect is people not mincing their words. I'm sure you have seen worse areas on the internet.

Though maybe you just care about the question of unmoderated places in general, that's fine as well. But if you want to talk about faid I recommend first looking at faid. That why basic questions like "what goes on in there" are out of the way.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:41 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:How can I put this? Isn't it kind of like having this special arena where people can go and get into knife fights? Shouldn't people who are inclined to get into knife fights learn to divert their passions elsewhere, given that knife fighting is not a particularly healthy thing for a civilization to endorse and that they might start getting into knife fights outside of the arena with people who have no interest in knife fighting?
Well.. FaiD is.. different?

It's like people go to the Knife Fight Club and yeah, every now and again a Knife Fight breaks out, but you're judged on how well you do and if you do poorly, people stop talking you you. Completely.

So you learn. You learn to either fight in an entertaining way, or you learn to not get in to knife fights because, seriously, that's just the name on the door, not the point of the place.

Like how I joined the forum here and stopped caring about the comic as the forum was far more interesting and entertaining. The xkcd comic's just an excuse to get together, not the focus.

FaiD's point... well, it's point now, is part general, part mod forum, part awesome, part really fucking worthless.

Also, there's a huge "Don't take FaiD outside of FaiD" rule. Like, the kind where Hammer makes you an unperson rule.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

infinabot

Postby infinabot » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:35 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Like, the kind where Hammer makes you an unperson rule.

And this is why Hammer is so loved.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:06 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:How can I put this? Isn't it kind of like having this special arena where people can go and get into knife fights? Shouldn't people who are inclined to get into knife fights learn to divert their passions elsewhere, given that knife fighting is not a particularly healthy thing for a civilization to endorse and that they might start getting into knife fights outside of the arena with people who have no interest in knife fighting?
I don't think that's how cathartic experiences work. I mean, if I punch a punching bag that has agreed to be punched, or shoot holes in a piece of paper in an environment where everyone has agreed that guns will be going off and pieces of paper will be damaged, that doesn't mean I'm going to start punching or shooting people outside of these special areas and circumstances (I might if I was unstable in the correct way, but most people wouldn't). Also, to go back to your metaphor, if you have urges to get into knife fights, but have a venue to satiate that urge in an environment where people have agreed there will be knife fights, it's probably a good thing to get it out of your system every once in a while so you don't burst one day and have a knife fight in an inappropriate circumstance.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:37 am UTC

I know of similar fora, but they are a least moderated for people posting personal info and such, or threads becoming boring.

People either fight with short, caustic insults, or large blocks of roleplaying. (I roleplay a bad roleplayer there)

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

I joined just so I would have more threads to read. I don't really care about the freedom, just that I can use up more of my time.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:I know of similar fora, but they are a least moderated for people posting personal info and such, or threads becoming boring.

People either fight with short, caustic insults, or large blocks of roleplaying. (I roleplay a bad roleplayer there)

FaiD is moderated in that so long as it does not break American Laws, it's unmoderated. As far as personal information goes, there's a thread for that. You opt in, then discover just how quickly you can be tracked. Posting that sort of thing without the subject opting in? There's probably a US law against it somewhere. Also, it's a fantastic way to get people to hate you.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:just what goes on in there, and why does it have to go on here rather than somewhere else?
I'm curious why you think anyone should tell you something you can find out for yourself rather easily.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Jorpho wrote:just what goes on in there, and why does it have to go on here rather than somewhere else?
I'm curious why you think anyone should tell you something you can find out for yourself rather easily.

Because that would defeat whatever vague point he's trying to make.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:24 pm UTC

@Jorpho: Most people don't get into knife fights in here. They just talk to each other in an environment where nobody is that concerned about being on topic or especially interesting or even coherent. It's also a place where the mods can participate without worrying about someone thinking they are ABUSING THEIR POWERZZZZZZ, since they don't have any. It's not as epic or dramatic as you are painting it. It's just some people hanging out. Some people like moderation for some contexts. Some don't. Some people like very strict moderation. Some would rather have just a bit. That's why, over time, each board has developed its own rules of engagement. Pick the area and level of moderation that suits you. *shrug*
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Tomo

Postby Tomo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's not for everyone, and it's a rare person who can join and fit in immediately without a fair amount of lurking. Lurk More. Always. There is no wrong time to lurk more. FaiD takes itself absolutely seriously, except when it doesn't. And parody threads. Oh god, the parody threads. Or spinoff threads. Or someone saw a funny comment and made a thread about it. Or in reference to it. Hypotheticals don't stay hypotheticals long, as recently illustrated by TheGrammarBolshevik off a comment from myself at the expense of Weeks.

Basically, it's 4chan. Except the average post quality is lower.
"Pick a number between 1 and 10."
"0.9999...?"

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:06 pm UTC

And for the forum history lesson, it was created by davean because a couple people who were cruising for a ban anyway started complaining very vocally about moderation and basically making "small government" arguments about forums. So davean gave them anarchy.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby Chuff » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:why does it have to go on here rather than somewhere else?

This is the most absurd part of your question. Because people want it to go on there? Whatever.
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

Tomo wrote:Basically, it's 4chan. Except the average post quality is lower.

How is this even possible? Let's take a random thread from a random board, I get...

Draw the HUD of the last video game you played. Everyone else try to guess what game that HUD is from.

I'll start with an easy one.

Huh. Doesn't sound so bad actually.

OKAY MY POINT CRUMBLES LET'S FIND ANOTHER RANDOM THREAD

CAR BOARD? NEVER WENT THERE. OKAY....

ITT we post pictures of our dash, and guess other peoples.

I'll start.

is that a pattern emerging

Another

They say milk is good for you... but is it really?

WELL THIS REMINDS ME OF SOMETHING

----

After some more browsing, it seems their quality went up. Can't find stupid memes, pony spam, and dickgirl spam despite a few minutes of exploration. Weird.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:19 pm UTC

I don't really know about the quality of 4chan so I can't compare it, but since more than a third of all posts in FaiD are in the beat the fess thread, the average post quality actually is quite low.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:07 pm UTC

I don't know. I haven't seriously been on 4chan in ... oh, probably five years. Maybe more. So, no.. higher quality than 4chan of five years ago. Outside of that, I wouldn't know.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:30 pm UTC

nah 4chan's alright.
Not what it used to be, but neither's here. Things change, and you deal with the changes or you fall by the wayside. Enjoy what's now. Enjoy the nostalgia, and miss what was, but enjoy now.
#ciderphil
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:56 pm UTC

Chuff wrote:

This is the most absurd part of your question. Because people want it to go on there? Whatever.
But you can have an unmoderated board anywhere.

gmalivuk wrote:
Because what is seen cannot be unseen.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:00 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Chuff wrote:

But you can have an unmoderated board anywhere.

Yes you can. Some places it'll work horrible, other places it might produce sensible discussion forum I've found so far.

Being able to do it everywhere does not automatically means it's a good idea for everyone.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:04 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Because what is seen cannot be unseen.

So what do you expect to see in a forum still restricted by US law, that you would want so unsee? :roll:

Tomo

Postby Tomo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:11 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

I don't know. I haven't seriously been on 4chan in ... oh, probably five years. Maybe more. So, no.. higher quality than 4chan of five years ago. Outside of that, I wouldn't know.

Opinions, pffft.

:P
"Pick a number between 1 and 10."
"0.9999...?"

Return to “General”