I AM SERIOUS :-[

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
programmerbrad
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:21 am UTC
Contact:

I AM SERIOUS :-[

Postby programmerbrad » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:08 pm UTC

Ryan North of Daily Dinosaur Comics fame posted a link to this video in his livejournal, and it is rather amazing. It's an old report (not sure how old it is, but fairly old) that aired on the primetime CBC news about Internet. It is amazing.

Watch!

User avatar
Peshmerga
Mad Hatter
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:56 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Peshmerga » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:27 pm UTC

:-]
i hurd u liek mudkips???

User avatar
Rat
Rattus Trolleri
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:40 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Rat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:38 pm UTC

I CAN INDULGE MY DEEP AND ABIDING PASSION FOR ALL THINGS THAI XXX.

User avatar
programmerbrad
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:21 am UTC
Contact:

Postby programmerbrad » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:45 pm UTC

Is it just me, or did anyone else expect the guy from Milan to segue into "INTERNET IS PEOPLE!"?

Also: it's amazing how the only thing noteworthy about Internet at that time was usenet, yet almost nobody now has heard of it. (that observation is semi-stolen from a response to Ryan's livejournal post, btw)

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Postby TheTankengine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:48 pm UTC

Usenet = groups.google.com now.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

User avatar
rachel
Witch (?)
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:26 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby rachel » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:46 pm UTC

My favourite part is how awkward it sounds without the 'the' before 'internet.'

User avatar
fjafjan
THE fjafjan
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:22 pm UTC
Location: Down south up north in the west of eastern west.
Contact:

Postby fjafjan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:58 pm UTC

Haha, that was pretty damn awesome :D
Also they accknowledge that Norway is just a Colony of Sweden :P
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

User avatar
ferretbot
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:25 am UTC
Location: Long Beach CA
Contact:

Postby ferretbot » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:22 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:Haha, that was pretty damn awesome :D
Also they accknowledge that Norway is just a Colony of Sweden :P


looking for a fight?

damn sweds have nothing to do with us!!!

<--half Norwegian/ dual citizen.

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Postby skeptical scientist » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:55 am UTC

My favorite part was this bit:
"There's an interesting kind of restraint that you find. There's not a lot of cursing or swearing. There's not a lot of personal cuts. There's not a lot of put downs that one would expect to find. There's not screenfulls of 'go to hell'."
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
programmerbrad
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:21 am UTC
Contact:

Postby programmerbrad » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:35 am UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:My favorite part was this bit:
"There's an interesting kind of restraint that you find. There's not a lot of cursing or swearing. There's not a lot of personal cuts. There's not a lot of put downs that one would expect to find. There's not screenfulls of 'go to hell'."


Little did they know then what Internet would turn out to be in the future!

Well, all of them except the Thai fetishist guy. He knew.

User avatar
fjafjan
THE fjafjan
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:22 pm UTC
Location: Down south up north in the west of eastern west.
Contact:

Postby fjafjan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:00 pm UTC

programmerbrad wrote:
skeptical scientist wrote:My favorite part was this bit:
"There's an interesting kind of restraint that you find. There's not a lot of cursing or swearing. There's not a lot of personal cuts. There's not a lot of put downs that one would expect to find. There's not screenfulls of 'go to hell'."


Little did they know then what Internet would turn out to be in the future!

Well, all of them except the Thai fetishist guy. He knew.


I think internet executives saw that and went
"this is it! Let's make pages of "Here you can indulge in everything [INSERT RANDOM OBJECT]"
He paved the way for 'Badboysbigbirds.com' ^_^

looking for a fight?

damn sweds have nothing to do with us!!!

<--half Norwegian/ dual citizen.

Hey, that guy wore a SUIT
I think he knew what he was talking about when he said "oslo" and showed a swedish flag. THE REVOLUTION IS COMMING!
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

User avatar
programmerbrad
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:21 am UTC
Contact:

Postby programmerbrad » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:10 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:
programmerbrad wrote:
skeptical scientist wrote:My favorite part was this bit:
"There's an interesting kind of restraint that you find. There's not a lot of cursing or swearing. There's not a lot of personal cuts. There's not a lot of put downs that one would expect to find. There's not screenfulls of 'go to hell'."


Little did they know then what Internet would turn out to be in the future!

Well, all of them except the Thai fetishist guy. He knew.

I think internet executives saw that and went
"this is it! Let's make pages of "Here you can indulge in everything [INSERT RANDOM OBJECT]"
He paved the way for 'Badboysbigbirds.com' ^_^


I think that guy actually is an Internet executive. He probably actually invented Internet.

...!!!

That dude was actually Al Gore under a psuedonym!

joeframbach
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:49 am UTC

Postby joeframbach » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:44 am UTC

YouTube pulled the video!

:-[ I AM SERIOUS.

User avatar
fjafjan
THE fjafjan
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:22 pm UTC
Location: Down south up north in the west of eastern west.
Contact:

Postby fjafjan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:06 pm UTC

That is so cool of them : -]
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

zealo
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:36 am UTC
Location: perth, australia
Contact:

Postby zealo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:38 pm UTC

does anyone know where it can still be found?

User avatar
rektide
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:33 pm UTC
Location: SS Deathstar Intergalactic
Contact:

Postby rektide » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:50 pm UTC

rachel wrote:My favourite part is how awkward it sounds without the 'the' before 'internet.'


so i take it this is in fact the "they call it, internet" video? 1993-1994 or something?

User avatar
programmerbrad
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:21 am UTC
Contact:

Postby programmerbrad » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:41 pm UTC

rektide wrote:
rachel wrote:My favourite part is how awkward it sounds without the 'the' before 'internet.'


so i take it this is in fact the "they call it, internet" video? 1993-1994 or something?


Yes.

And to zealo, I haven't looked much but it certainly seems to be gone from Youtube. :-[
"Uninspired by the recruiting call; independent we stand, independent we fall."
Streetlight Manifesto - A Moment of Silence


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests