Someone is Creepy on the Internet

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dhokarena56

Someone is Creepy on the Internet

Postby dhokarena56 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

Last edited by dhokarena56 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Re: Someone is Creepy on the Internet

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:42 pm UTC

That is a troll.

Nobody is really that creepy...right?

[edit: I don't understand how this can make you feel good, even better about yourself. It makes me want to vomit, and cry. And I am a man.]
Last edited by Sheikh al-Majaneen on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:That is a troll.

:3

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote::3

I think you mean (´・ω・`)

What emotion exactly is that supposed to represent?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

dhokarena56

Postby dhokarena56 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:That is a troll.

[edit: I don't understand how this can make you feel good, even better about yourself. It makes me want to vomit, and cry. And I am a man.]

I joke, of course. The OP was badly phrased, now I think about it.

It's sort of like watching a car crash...

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:16 pm UTC

There is a certain dark joy to be had from knowing "at least I'm better than that guy".
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

dhokarena56

Postby dhokarena56 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:55 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:There is a certain dark joy to be had from knowing "at least I'm better than that guy".

Exactly.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:11 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:

I think you mean (´・ω・`)

Looks like a pig.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:17 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:

I think you mean (´・ω・`)

I honestly have no idea, and I am creeped the fuck out right now. Seriously.

SlyReaper wrote:There is a certain dark joy to be had from knowing "at least I'm better than that guy".

And if a guy every e-mailed me 600 times in three days, I would be sobbing in the police station. Incidentally, I also never correspond with people via e-mail and thus never check it, so I wouldn't actually know if someone e-mailed me 600 times in three days. And now I'm scared to check my e-mail...

EDIT: Also, that emoticon could be pedobear?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:21 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:What emotion exactly is that supposed to represent?

Seen :3 as a lion, or a feline at any rate. Probably it.

It's also used for this but I don't know the meaning.

What creeped me out about the guy was not the 600 messages (been sorta there), but his complete unawareness of the pain he's causing her.

Tons of art of the guy strangely enough.

Last edited by Menacing Spike on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:48 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:

I think you mean (´・ω・`)

I tend to associate it with this asshole
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:09 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:What creeped me out about the guy was not the 600 messages (been sorta there), but his complete unawareness of the pain he's causing her.
Worst part is, I think most people can sort of relate. Not as in 'I'm going to disregard someone's feelings and stab them', but in the way that he didn't understand that his actions could be perceived as wrong. I've definitely had moments where I mess up in social situations simply due to not realising that it's abnormal. He's just that on a massive scale.

And I'm not sure If I want to applaud A-ko or punch her. Sure, she was horrible for giving out her friend's details to this guy... but 700,000 Yen is more than 5000 pounds. Damn.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Black Dynamite

Postby Black Dynamite » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:31 am UTC

This is awful.
I feel awful for that girl.
I can't stop reading.
What the hell is happening?
(´・ω・`)
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
(She, her, hers)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:32 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Worst part is, I think most people can sort of relate. Not as in 'I'm going to disregard someone's feelings and stab them', but in the way that he didn't understand that his actions could be perceived as wrong. I've definitely had moments where I mess up in social situations simply due to not realising that it's abnormal. He's just that on a massive scale.

Yes, I too remember acting like a complete selfish twat because of relationship fears... when I was 17 fucking years old. And I was a late bloomer.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:52 am UTC

It absolutely must be a troll. I got about halfway down and there was an OP post that said "Uh oh, I wonder if she'll figure out I like her..."
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:11 am UTC

Black Dynamite wrote:This is awful.
I can't stop reading.
(´・ω・`)

Also, this. (´・ω・`)
Might be construed as.
Bad poetry.
Take it or leave it? (´・ω・`)

(That guy's writing style was so disjointed that it was really hard to follow. I almost feel like I was reading a post-modern interactive piece.)

SirBryghtside wrote:And I'm not sure If I want to applaud A-ko or punch her. Sure, she was horrible for giving out her friend's details to this guy... but 700,000 Yen is more than 5000 pounds. Damn.

Speaking as a female, if I had a friend do that to me, I would be so hurt and angry. There is no justification for selling someone out like that, unless the two of you agreed to it beforehand and you're splitting the money. In which case, you're both assholes.

pyronius

Postby pyronius » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:51 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:

I think you mean (´・ω・`)

I'm pretty sure it's two rhinoceroses looking in opposite directions. Thus I think it represents the way his conflicting emotions are pulling him apart like being tied to two charging animals.

that or it's a cat desperately attempting to eat Patton Oswalt while being sucked into the dark void of man's soul.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:57 am UTC

pyronius wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:

I think you mean (´・ω・`)

I'm pretty sure it's two rhinoceroses looking in opposite directions. Thus I think it represents the way his conflicting emotions are pulling him apart like being tied to two charging animals.

that or it's a cat desperately attempting to eat Patton Oswalt while being sucked into the dark void of man's soul.

Related

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:11 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:Nobody is really that creepy...right?

While this specific might be a troll, there totally is people out there being that creepy. Stalkers are a real thing, and it's awful to experience.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:Speaking as a female, if I had a friend do that to me, I would be so hurt and angry. There is no justification for selling someone out like that, unless the two of you agreed to it beforehand and you're splitting the money. In which case, you're both assholes.
Yeah, I'm not trying to justify it here. It's more on an 'evil mastermind' level.
Izawwlgood wrote:Yes, I too remember acting like a complete selfish twat because of relationship fears... when I was 17 fucking years old. And I was a late bloomer.

He is 17 years old, or near enough that. And my point was about how he honestly doesn't know what he's doing, rather than what he's actually doing. That was the creepiest part for me.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

He said he was in his second year of college, so he'd be closer to 19 or 20.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

This is either one of the finest examples of trolling I've ever seen, or one of the wost examples of humanity.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:17 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:This is either one of the finest examples of trolling I've ever seen, or one of the wost examples of humanity.

I'd like to assume the former, for my own peace of mind; and even if someone were oblivious enough to think... any of that bullshit was acceptable behavior, surely they couldn't be as oblivious to everyone saying "NO YOU ARE A CREEP WTF" over five damn threads as they were. Rang false.

That said, the fact remains that there were morons there egging him on; and I find that even worse, really. Sure, they're definitely trolling; but even if I didn't think trolling was useless and despicable in and of itself, the fact would remain that there are certain situations in which it is really fucking inappropriate. "You go boy! Keep terrorizing that girl!" is definitely one of them. Regardless of whether or not the OP was just a troll.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
Ptolom wrote:This is either one of the finest examples of trolling I've ever seen, or one of the wost examples of humanity.

I'd like to assume the former, for my own peace of mind; and even if someone were oblivious enough to think... any of that bullshit was acceptable behavior, surely they couldn't be as oblivious to everyone saying "NO YOU ARE A CREEP WTF" over five damn threads as they were. Rang false.

That's one of the things with stalkers, they don't accept that.

Whenever a stalker gets told something negative, it'll be explained away - they aren't stalkers in their own eyes, and are often the first ones to attack stalkers, but they are capable of explaining why *they* individually is different, saying "people just don't understand our love", "it's just a test" or "Xie's just saying that because society says she should".

I'd like to believe it was the former, but it plays sufficiently close to how the minds of a stalker actually operates for me to assume so. And if it actually is a troll, it's a disturbingly accurate description of how the mind of a stalker
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:28 am UTC

Ulc wrote:I'd like to believe it was the former, but it plays sufficiently close to how the minds of a stalker actually operates for me to assume so. And if it actually is a troll, it's a disturbingly accurate description of how the mind of a stalker

This, times a thousand. Stalkers are scary and creepy and weird and they think everything they are doing is perfectly normal and romantic. Those hundreds of pictures they've taken of the victim? Well, that's just because they're too shy to actually make themselves known so they have to find a way to be close to that person. The mysterious gifts with some weird numbers on them that keep showing up? Clearly, the numbers mean something, but you can't figure it out -- but, disturbingly enough, many stalkers consider their first interaction with their target their "anniversary" and remind them of it. And while most stalkers aren't violent offenders, a fair number do resort to violence when they don't get their way.

In short, it is actually very hard to emulate the habits and patterns of a stalker. To pretend to be a stalker, you have to put your mind in a stalker's mind -- a very disturbing place to be. And when you put the giant picture together, I don't think he's a troll. Especially when you consider how easy it is for him to switch targets. Many stalkers go from target to target to target.

Let's just say, I'm glad I don't live in Japan.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:34 am UTC

I just... really want to hope. :/

More reason those other assholes in that thread are also creepy as hell though.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:15 am UTC

Errr, you guys are overgeneralizing. I've been there and this:

• they think everything they are doing is perfectly normal and romantic

• Well, that's just because they're too shy to actually make themselves known so they have to find a way to be close to that person.

• a fair number do resort to violence when they don't get their way.
(depends on how you define violence - no physical violence at any rate)

• Many stalkers go from target to target to target.

• Whenever a stalker gets told something negative, it'll be explained away

• but they are capable of explaining why *they* individually is different

was wrong in my case. The experience could be more or less summed up as a shitton of craving, fear, and self-loathing.

More reading

kizolk

Postby kizolk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:39 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:This, times a thousand. Stalkers are scary and creepy and weird and they think everything they are doing is perfectly normal and romantic. Those hundreds of pictures they've taken of the victim? Well, that's just because they're too shy to actually make themselves known so they have to find a way to be close to that person. The mysterious gifts with some weird numbers on them that keep showing up? Clearly, the numbers mean something, but you can't figure it out -- but, disturbingly enough, many stalkers consider their first interaction with their target their "anniversary" and remind them of it. And while most stalkers aren't violent offenders, a fair number do resort to violence when they don't get their way.

In short, it is actually very hard to emulate the habits and patterns of a stalker. To pretend to be a stalker, you have to put your mind in a stalker's mind -- a very disturbing place to be. And when you put the giant picture together, I don't think he's a troll. Especially when you consider how easy it is for him to switch targets. Many stalkers go from target to target to target.

Let's just say, I'm glad I don't live in Japan.

With all due respect, I think this is bullshit. And I'm not speaking of the generalisations; Menacing Spike already adressed these, and I'd suggest checking out the link in his/her post for further info. Keep in mind that what we (at least non-professionals) call "stalker" actually covers a broad range of behaviors and personalities, so it would be great if everybody stopped lumping together socially inept yet harmless people with potential or actual criminals.

But no, that's not what I want to talk about; I'm speaking of the "I'm not a stalker, yet I know for sure this guy isn't a troll because only a true stalker would think and act like that" thing. Uh... I don't know, am I the only one to notice how faulty this kind of reasoning is? Seriously now. *Nobody* can tell if the OP is a troll or not -- you can make an educated guess, have strong convictions, whatever, but either way, you *can't* tell. That's why everybody loves fiction -- books, series, movies etc. They all have their inner truth. Frankly, a lot of posts on this very thread sound very naive.

My personal opinion? It rings true, but it isn't necessarily true. It could be any of the following (non-exhaustive): OP is a creative writer, probably good at psychological profiling, and did a good job at fleshing out his character; OP is a creative writer, read/watched documentaries (or other insightful fictional works) about stalkers, maybe even used stalker testimonies; OP has stalker tendencies and partly got his inspiration from his own emotions, maybe he's just a creative writer or he wanted to let out his emotions; OP is real, these threads are a first-person account of his stalking behavior.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue May 01, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

Black Dynamite wrote:This is awful.
I can't stop reading.
(´・ω・`)
I KEEP READING AND IT KEEPS GETTING WORSE.

I don't want to ask how it could possibly get worse, because I might find out.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Tue May 01, 2012 4:34 pm UTC

It gets worse after every page. At first I though troll and went with it but as you keep reading you worry about if this is real or not. I truly hope that it was a "gifted" troll and not real life. I know things happen like this IRL but to read something that could be real is somewhow worse. I feel dirty now.

Urgh. :(
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue May 01, 2012 9:12 pm UTC

Kid sounds like he has a case of de Clérambault's syndrome, only a worryingly naive inexperienced schoolchild version (so basically obsessive love), reinforced by studying humanity and relationships through literature instead of actual social interaction. Specifically Manga, as he keeps mentioning that 'people (i.e. girls) react this way in Manga, why not in 3D?'

I find it hard to believe it's any more than 31.2% true, personally. That kind of obsessive personality that waves off any form of warning or advice is quite easy to construct on the internet (as is any personality, really). The more extreme, the easier it is to create. For instance, I could go onto Stormfront and become a far-right wing White Supremacist for a few months if it pleased me. I know the lingo and the mannerisms of a racist, and I can swiftly be one on the internet with barely any effort at all. Not that I would, 'cause I'm not that bored, I don't care for trolling, and I'm actually rather busy a lot of the time. Also I'm more of a light-blue supremacist, to be honest.

Anyway, he constantly mentions how Denko should react, according to his idealised Manga construct, giving the illusion that he has no knowledge of interacting with females who don't act like comic book succubi* (i.e. none but precious few females in this world). Yet his interactions with A-ko are fairly business-like. Every utterance of her revolves around paying her money for information, (and then later paying her for sex). If anyone is being creepy, 'tis her (as well). If your friend is truly worried about an obsessive stalker who sends you 200 emails a day, and you are selling information to that stalker whenever your friend changes her contact details, are you really her friend? A-ko is dangerously manipulative, and making quite a tidy profit from this drama. The fact she knows what he is capable of makes it suspect that she wantonly transfers his misguided affections towards her (in such a blasé fashion) in order for monetary gain is almost as scary as his insistence that he is doing the right thing in the face of universal opposition. Like how people start 'give me advice' threads and argue until they hear what they want to hear and go ahead and do what they initially planned to in the first place.

Also, it's a cultural thing that I have zero experience or knowledge of. Do schoolkids in Japan often exchange money for information they know will be used for stalking purposes? Also, the fact that they organise trips to see flowers is very quaint to me!

*I'mma go out on a limb here and presume by Manga he means galge/hentai.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue May 01, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:A-ko is dangerously manipulative

Well then I guess she's not... A-Ok.

(sorry)

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Thu May 03, 2012 11:13 am UTC

I may be wrong but I'm quite surethe guy is a troll, some points are too exaggerated to be real (such as the reaction to the second message in which the girl tells him not to contact her), and while he does an accurate and dedicated job of acting like a stalker most of what he narrates seems a bit clichè. Still quite creepy even though probably intentional.

Return to “General”