general nooby questions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lawsome
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm UTC

general nooby questions

Postby Lawsome » Mon May 07, 2012 7:50 pm UTC

EDIT: Hmm... This topic appears to be becoming about just asking nooby questions that you would like the answer to, and answering other peoples nooby questions.

So, I read your rules and saw that there is an introduction topic and that is fine because as a new member I have some specific questions that I would like answered.

I've used forums before, in fact, the first thing I did when I saw this forum was steal you game Nomic and post it on the Yoyogames forums where I usually hang out. I hope, because of the general audience that XKCD attracts this is a very good forum and not like the minecraft forums, populated and run by 12 year olds like some internet Lord Of The Flies.

ANYWAY, My main questions were as follows.

Anyone who goes to other forums, how does this one compare in terms of size and organization?

What are the convention on this forum that I should avoid breaking? (I have a feeling this forum is more civilised than the Yoyogames forums so they're are probably a few stupid things I am going to do, I hope this is not one of them.)

I see the rules but what rules are most often broken by n00bs so I can prepare myself?

Also, how do I change my AV?

Thank you, if this topic is against the rules sorry, but It wasn't really so much of a Introduction as a interrogation.so I though I should post a topic instead.
Last edited by Lawsome on Sat May 12, 2012 11:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26303
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 07, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

Lucky for you, We have a topic for that.

Also, things like Avatars, Signatures, posting links, images and so on pretty much become usable after 5 posts or so.

Anyone who goes to other forums, how does this one compare in terms of size and organization?

Size is relative, as is organization. Some forums have two subsections that boil down to "Stuff on this topic" and "Everything else". Some yell at you for posting a question about Plantains in the Banana forum, as it is intended for Cavendish discussions.

So, there's... I dunno, something like a thousand or so active members, I think, and a couple hundred posts per day.

What are the convention on this forum that I should avoid breaking? (I have a feeling this forum is more civilised than the Yoyogames forums so they're are probably a few stupid things I am going to do, I hope this is not one of them.)

Don't be a dick. Unless you're funny at it. And by funny I mean funny, not "hur hur, I'm disguising sexism/racism/nationalism/whatever-the-hell-having-a-problem-with-homosexuals-ism-would-be as a joke, laugh damnit". I mean funny.

The rest of your questions are probably answered in the Forum Guide and the Rules Thread. Though the most common one can be summarized in an example...

"I searched and found an old thread on the topic, but it was old so I made a new one"

Don't do that. Ever. Post in the old thread. We tell you to search for a reason. Hell, read the old thread first and see if your question was answered, if it was a question. If it wasn't, then go ahead and post in the old one. Because that's where it's going to end up anyway, and saying that you found it but chose NOT to follow the rules is... well, it's being a dick.

And as previously mentioned - Don't be a dick.


Lastly, don't ask about FaiD. You either know what it is (because you either learned by context or used the search and learned even more), or you don't.*


*See, this is an example of being funny without relying on an -ism. Well, croneyism, maybe. Because trust me - there's people laughing their assess off at this statement. Well, some people. Alright, a few people. Okay, it's just me. Happy? Happy you got me to admit that? Are you? I'm not being sarcastic or angry here, are you genuinely happy? You are? Splendid!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Роберт » Mon May 07, 2012 8:43 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Lastly, don't ask about FaiD.

I'm not sure what there would be to ask about, anyway. "HURLY BURLY UNDERWORLDY SWEET RAVE PARTY" explains all you need to know.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26303
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 07, 2012 8:45 pm UTC

Yeah, that's a good point.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5094
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

BYOHB
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Lawsome
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Lawsome » Mon May 07, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

What does BYOHB mean?

Also, This is evidently quite a big forum in comparison to my old one. This is a lot of replies in such a small time!

Searching I am not used to, the Yoyogames forums search bar is really awful so the general opinion is that "If you can't see it on the front page, It doesn't exist!".

Also, the amount of posts in certain topics is pretty huge, probably because of the search rule and because my other forums close topics after a certain amount of posts because, I dunno, aesthetics?

I'll try to avoid being a dick. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

User avatar
Panonadin
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:13 am UTC
Location: Frying Pan
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Panonadin » Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:What does BYOHB mean?



I'm going out on a limb and guessing "Bring your own Hurly Burly"

It could mean a few other things too.

Bring your own honey buns.
Bring your own hairy bees.
Buy your own huckle berries!

Ok I was planning on making a rather long list but it got boring. Good luck and welcome.
Last edited by Panonadin on Tue May 08, 2012 1:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue May 08, 2012 12:08 am UTC

Don't ever mention trans people because you are going to somehow offend someone.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26303
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 08, 2012 12:11 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Don't ever mention trans people because you are going to somehow offend someone.

See Above : Don't Be A Dick.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5094
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue May 08, 2012 1:34 am UTC

See my title for a hint.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: general nooby questions

Postby ConMan » Tue May 08, 2012 4:59 am UTC

I would pay particular attention to Rule 15: It is not recommended to capitalize "davean".

However, I would extend it slightly. If you think you are at risk of misspelling someone's user name, check it and check it again. Some users are more sensitive than others to misspellings, which includes incorrect capitalisation. While this does still fit into "Don't be a dick", it's part of realising that you can be a dick by not paying attention, not just by deliberately acting dick-ish. That said, I'm used to people calling me Conman or even conman, but it does still feel a bit weird.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Lawsome
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Lawsome » Tue May 08, 2012 7:02 am UTC

Uh Ok. I get the impression that I am adrift in a sea of people with twice my IQ which is kinda cool.

Don't worry about name spelling, you'd be suprised how many people have died for calling me Lawesome rather than Lawsome
Spoiler:
Image
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Ptolom » Tue May 08, 2012 8:09 am UTC

Panonadin wrote:
Lawsome wrote:What does BYOHB mean?



I'm going out on a limb and guessing "Bring your own Hurly Burly"

It could mean a few other things too.

Bring your own honey buns.
Bring your own hairy bees.
Buy your own huckle berries!

Ok I was planning on making a rather long list but it got boring. Good luck and welcome.

For some troubling reason I immediately thought it meant "bring your own head basket".

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Dream » Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 am UTC

Lawsome wrote:Uh Ok. I get the impression that I am adrift in a sea of people with twice my IQ which is kinda cool.

Trust me, there are some prize idiots on these fora. And everyone has a different opinion on what their identity is. You'll fit in fine in smarts terms.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Enokh
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Enokh » Tue May 08, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:Don't ever mention trans people because you are going to somehow offend someone.

See Above : Don't Be A Dick.


I think he's more referencing that trans* is/can be an incredibly complicated topic, and if you don't know what you're talking about then even honest questions can offend some here unless you put some sort of "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to learn, so sorry if I phrase things poorly" disclaimer on your post, which most don't think about doing even if the sentiment is true.

Reading threads on the subject has been a really cool experience just in that I feel as if I've learned a bunch, even though it's only ever come up once since I started hanging out here. But the sensitivity to certain things definitely threw me for a loop when I first joined (heteronormativity being one).

EDIT: Hell, this post is a good example of that. It took me a while to settle on "trans*", even though it wasn't as inclusive as I wanted it to be. . .but I couldn't figure out a way to say what I wanted without worrying it was coming off as me saying "those people".


Is "alternative lifestyle" a negative phrase, in reference to homosexuality, trans*, asexuality, etc.? I feel like it's taken that way, but I wanted to check.

User avatar
meridian
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:26 am UTC
Location: Cambervillia
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby meridian » Tue May 08, 2012 1:31 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:Don't ever mention trans people because you are going to somehow offend someone.

See Above : Don't Be A Dick.


I think he's more referencing that trans* is/can be an incredibly complicated topic, and if you don't know what you're talking about then even honest questions can offend some here unless you put some sort of "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to learn, so sorry if I phrase things poorly" disclaimer on your post, which most don't think about doing even if the sentiment is true.

Reading threads on the subject has been a really cool experience just in that I feel as if I've learned a bunch, even though it's only ever come up once since I started hanging out here. But the sensitivity to certain things definitely threw me for a loop when I first joined (heteronormativity being one).

EDIT: Hell, this post is a good example of that. It took me a while to settle on "trans*", even though it wasn't as inclusive as I wanted it to be. . .but I couldn't figure out a way to say what I wanted without worrying it was coming off as me saying "those people".

The issue with Menacing Spike's comment is that he seems to be using it in an equivalent to saying "don't accuse a woman of having PMS," which isn't to say that PMS doesn't exist and women don't have it, but using that to dismiss and/or label them by something negative. We use trans* all of the time on the fora and no one is given grief for it, unless they are being demeaning/dismissive. We actually have a safespace for LGBTQQAlphabet issues which is a great place to be and be supportive.

Enokh wrote:Is "alternative lifestyle" a negative phrase, in reference to homosexuality, trans*, asexuality, etc.? I feel like it's taken that way, but I wanted to check.

Yes. It's basically a way of saying, "you're not normal if you like these things" and who likes that?
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue May 08, 2012 2:20 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:I think he's more referencing that trans* is/can be an incredibly complicated topic, and if you don't know what you're talking about then even honest questions can offend some here unless you put some sort of "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to learn, so sorry if I phrase things poorly" disclaimer on your post, which most don't think about doing even if the sentiment is true.


Yes, I was referring to the "you need 3 pages of disclaimers before anything you say on the subject" phenomenon. That's not obvious at all for a new member (and that's why I'm not touching the safespaces with a 10 foot pole). Thanks for clarifying.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26303
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 08, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

Dream wrote:
Lawsome wrote:Uh Ok. I get the impression that I am adrift in a sea of people with twice my IQ which is kinda cool.

Trust me, there are some prize idiots on these fora. And everyone has a different opinion on what their identity is. You'll fit in fine in smarts terms.
Also, the fart jokes.

Oh man, the fart jokes.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Роберт » Tue May 08, 2012 2:59 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:Uh Ok. I get the impression that I am adrift in a sea of people with twice my IQ which is kinda cool.

Don't worry about name spelling, you'd be suprised how many people have died for calling me Lawesome rather than Lawsome

I often just copy paste usernames.

I finding amusing when people spell my name Po6ept.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26303
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 08, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

Po6ept? Роберт? You mean it's not Hugglemonster?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue May 08, 2012 3:51 pm UTC

Post count is directly correlated to penis size. Forealz.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Роберт » Tue May 08, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Post count is directly correlated to penis size. Forealz.

I'd better stop posting in places that affect my post count pretty soon.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Zarq » Tue May 08, 2012 4:34 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Enokh wrote:I think he's more referencing that trans* is/can be an incredibly complicated topic, and if you don't know what you're talking about then even honest questions can offend some here unless you put some sort of "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to learn, so sorry if I phrase things poorly" disclaimer on your post, which most don't think about doing even if the sentiment is true.


Yes, I was referring to the "you need 3 pages of disclaimers before anything you say on the subject" phenomenon. That's not obvious at all for a new member (and that's why I'm not touching the safespaces with a 10 foot pole). Thanks for clarifying.


That's not the important part though. There's a good chance he'll say something stupid and offensive. There's a good chance he'll discover there is $ism in stuff he's never ever thought about. He can't know all that. We shouldn't expect that. If he can't talk about stuff that can get offensive, there's very few things he can talk about.

The important part is, and now I'm talking to you, Lawsome, is that if someone calls you on something, you don't debate it. Don't fight it. Don't say "That's not offensive at all". Don't say "I didn't mean it like that." and think that absolves you of everything.* Think about it. Try to not do it again the next time. Maybe politely ask for an explanation. Maybe even apologize. But don't fight it.


*Lesson 1: Intent means squat. Saying you didn't know it could be interpreted as offensive, in a way to show you're not a horrible $ist but just made a mistake is perfectly fine though.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Роберт » Tue May 08, 2012 4:41 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:The important part is, and now I'm talking to you, Lawsome, is that if someone calls you on something, you don't debate it. Don't fight it. Don't say "That's not offensive at all". Don't say "I didn't mean it like that." and think that absolves you of everything.* Think about it. Try to not do it again the next time. Maybe politely ask for an explanation. Maybe even apologize. But don't fight it.


*Lesson 1: Intent means squat.

I thought ze was asking for forum advice, not life advice. :P
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby bluebambue » Tue May 08, 2012 4:44 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Zarq wrote:The important part is, and now I'm talking to you, Lawsome, is that if someone calls you on something, you don't debate it. Don't fight it. Don't say "That's not offensive at all". Don't say "I didn't mean it like that." and think that absolves you of everything.* Think about it. Try to not do it again the next time. Maybe politely ask for an explanation. Maybe even apologize. But don't fight it.


*Lesson 1: Intent means squat.

I thought ze was asking for forum advice, not life advice. :P
All life is, is fora.

User avatar
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:58 pm UTC
Location: Texas

Re: general nooby questions

Postby philsov » Tue May 08, 2012 5:15 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:I finding amusing when people spell my name Po6ept.


I don't think I've needed to respond to you direct, but if I did I'd just say 'robert'.

It's close enough... kinda.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Роберт » Tue May 08, 2012 5:36 pm UTC

philsov wrote:I don't think I've needed to respond to you direct, but if I did I'd just say 'robert'.

It's close enough... kinda.

It's certainly closer than po6ept. But I DO capitalize my name. :)
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
Garm
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:29 pm UTC
Location: Usually at work. Otherwise, Longmont, CO.

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Garm » Tue May 08, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
philsov wrote:I don't think I've needed to respond to you direct, but if I did I'd just say 'robert'.

It's close enough... kinda.

It's certainly closer than po6ept. But I DO capitalize my name. :)


I always think of your name as "po times the partial derivative of ept."
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Роберт » Tue May 08, 2012 5:53 pm UTC

Garm wrote:I always think of your name as "po times the partial derivative of ept."

You might start going by philsov's approximation, it's closer.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Lawsome
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Lawsome » Tue May 08, 2012 6:16 pm UTC

What a lot of replies, although this topic is going a bit off the rails.

I think I can keep my cool and not get spammy provided no one mentions global warming or politics. :P
Spoiler:
Image
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5094
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue May 08, 2012 6:17 pm UTC

Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Роберт » Tue May 08, 2012 6:20 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:What a lot of replies, although this topic is going a bit off the rails.

I think I can keep my cool and not get spammy provided no one mentions global warming or politics. :P

Now I'm curious which opinions you have on those subjects. They certainly do get mentioned a lot.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Lawsome
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Lawsome » Tue May 08, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Lawsome wrote:What a lot of replies, although this topic is going a bit off the rails.

I think I can keep my cool and not get spammy provided no one mentions global warming or politics. :P

Now I'm curious which opinions you have on those subjects. They certainly do get mentioned a lot.


Global warming is happening and if you disagree I will attempt to drown you in evidence.

Politics isn't half as corrupt as people think it is.
Spoiler:
Image
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

Enokh
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Enokh » Tue May 08, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

I disagree!

Global Warming isn't HALF as corrupt as people think!

Politics IS happening!

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Роберт » Tue May 08, 2012 6:47 pm UTC

Global warming politics is happening and isn't half as corrupt as people think it is.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5094
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: general nooby questions

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue May 08, 2012 6:48 pm UTC

Global corrupt is politics and isn't half as warming as people think it is.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1822
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: general nooby questions

Postby eran_rathan » Tue May 08, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

Global politics is warm, and not happening half as corrupt as it ought to!
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
Garm
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:29 pm UTC
Location: Usually at work. Otherwise, Longmont, CO.

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Garm » Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 pm UTC

Maybe the stupidest thing ever said about global warming: http://deadspin.com/5906011/tim-mccarver-blames-climactic-change-for-the-increase-in-major-league-home-runs

I think we can all agree that Tim McCarver does not belong in the Baseball HOF.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: general nooby questions

Postby ConMan » Tue May 08, 2012 11:06 pm UTC

And in case you didn't notice, if you're in a subforum where off-topicness is not strictly against the rules, and a thread has already covered all the ground it needs to, people tend to go off on some occasionally entertaining tangents. And happening politics is globally corrupt, and not half as warming as people think.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:35 pm UTC
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

Re: general nooby questions

Postby Dthen » Tue May 08, 2012 11:44 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:What does BYOHB mean?

Also, This is evidently quite a big forum in comparison to my old one. This is a lot of replies in such a small time!

Searching I am not used to, the Yoyogames forums search bar is really awful so the general opinion is that "If you can't see it on the front page, It doesn't exist!".

Also, the amount of posts in certain topics is pretty huge, probably because of the search rule and because my other forums close topics after a certain amount of posts because, I dunno, aesthetics?

I'll try to avoid being a dick. :wink:


You might want to use Google to search the forums as the built-in search is awful. For example, to search the forums for cats, (as I am wont to do) then one would enter "site:forums.xkcd.com cats" into Google warming isn't half as corrupt as politics is.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests