Help name my child!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pyronius

Re: Help name my child!

Postby pyronius » Mon May 28, 2012 1:59 am UTC

VeganPirate wrote:
pyronius wrote:I may be totally off base here but let me take a few shots in the dark.

I think you just hit an Iraq hospital with that shot...

heh, oh well. it was dark after all.

I guess I'll try and give some usefulish advice now. when I'm naming things i grab the fanciest most well respected and oldest books i can find and flip through them until i land on something that sounds good. when i was naming my snake i grabbed much ado about nothing, the Odyssey, and a copy of the bible. you should try it. its kind of fun.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Mon May 28, 2012 7:55 am UTC

Noc wrote:I do think of Angua as female-gendered, however, but mostly because of the character I think. It's still a good name.

Anguo for a boy?
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

Postby AvatarIII » Mon May 28, 2012 9:14 am UTC

VeganPirate wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:Nova aside from being an awesome name is Latin for "new"

This has to be my favourite name so far. +1 to AvatarIII

wow, really? :D

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue May 29, 2012 9:49 am UTC

Angua is a pretty awesome name. I don't know much about it's origins though, as far as I know it could have been created by Terry Pratchett.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue May 29, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
Vela, Aurora

Names ending in -a will more often than not be interpreted as feminine.

That's why Tolkien translated Froda's name to Frodo.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed May 30, 2012 5:31 am UTC

Although I question gender neutrality names in the sense that I believe they rule out a lot of very great names, there are a few that I can offer.

Since reading Bridge to Terabithia as a child, I've always sort of prized the name Leslie as a "gender-neutral" sort of name (and if you've read the book, the character very much embodies this sentiment).

Also, writing my first sentence led me to trail off for a microsecond thinking of very Antique masculine names, which led me to Maximilian, which led me to "Max" as actually being another "gender-neutral" name I've come across.

So yeah, Leslie and Max are my two sensible options.

Of course, I've been trying to convince couples everywhere to get someone to name their child "Law" for a while now. If you did, I'd be much obliged to you.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed May 30, 2012 5:41 am UTC

That could be awkward. "Hi, my name is Law."

"La? As in fa la la?"

"No, Law as in law and order."

"Oh. ... Do you have siblings named Peace, Order, and Good Government?"

"No, we're not Canadian." *badum-tish*
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

iChef

Postby iChef » Wed May 30, 2012 11:39 am UTC

Obviously the only correct answer is LaDasha (spelled La-a). *ducks bricks, tomatoes and scorn*
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed May 30, 2012 12:19 pm UTC

Jesse is a great name.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed May 30, 2012 2:04 pm UTC

I am going to second (and in some cases, third) Jesse, Ashley, Leslie, and Cameron.

I'm going to add in Valentine and René.

EDIT: And instead of necro'ing the other thread, my best friend's middle name is Mithrandir, and his sister's first name is Arwen. Yes, his parents are dorks too.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:48 am UTC

That's feminine. /trollface

Edit: Or plural. But uhh. Probably not plural.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:00 am UTC

In addition to resuggesting/backing Leslie, Jessie,Max (and Law)

I would also like to suggest the name Kit.

In the context I last saw it, it was being used as a nickname for "Christopher", but I think it works as a regular name too.

I also have just come up with the name Ro on my own accord.

JamesP

Postby JamesP » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:25 am UTC

My only advice is to give them a full name, at least officially. Not Chris but Christopher, Alexander not Alex etc. There's still a lot of people (me included I must say) who get irked when it's Sam and not Samuel. I'd avoid "modern" names as well. Some names come in and out of fashion but if you go for traditional then you can't go wrong. Craig, Alex, Robert, Aiden, Malcolm, Elizabeth, Jessica, etc etc. I can't think of any gender neutral ones at the moment though...

EDIT: Ooh, Leslie and Maximilian are good.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:41 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:

That's feminine. /trollface

Edit: Or plural. But uhh. Probably not plural.

Yeah it's a feminine form, but Novus sounds lame, and Nova does sound masculine considering it ends in an "a"

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:51 am UTC

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

My favourite gender neutral name is Kim.
Can't go wrong with a Kim.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

Coin wrote:My favourite gender neutral name is Kim.

Are you from North Korea?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:55 pm UTC

JamesP wrote:My only advice is to give them a full name, at least officially. Not Chris but Christopher, Alexander not Alex etc. There's still a lot of people (me included I must say) who get irked when it's Sam and not Samuel. I'd avoid "modern" names as well. Some names come in and out of fashion but if you go for traditional then you can't go wrong. Craig, Alex, Robert, Aiden, Malcolm, Elizabeth, Jessica, etc etc. I can't think of any gender neutral ones at the moment though...

EDIT: Ooh, Leslie and Maximilian are good.

I always have considered Aiden gender neutral. I don't know if I've ever met any girls with that name, but it always seemed like it would fit girls well.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

There really isn't enough information. Knowing the sex would be helpful, as would the surname... or a potential middle name. Rhyme and cadence both matter.

Gender-neutral names often aren't. Robin registers as "could be both, probably female" in the English-speaking world and as "probably male" for German speakers. Andrea comes off as girly in most places but is quite firmly a boy's name in Italy... with the right surname it's a pleasing ambiguity that for a change doesn't feel wishy-washy.
Same sort of ambiguity applies to Paris really... but will have unfortunate associations with a pretty-but-vapid socialite either way.

Instead of a gender-neutral name, I'd personally prefer a gender-specific one with a neutral short form. Gives the kid the freedom to choose.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but you explicitly stated you chose this place for its geekiness...
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

No, Sweden. I've seen plenty of Kim's with Swedish parents while I grew up.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:13 pm UTC

Iranon wrote:Instead of a gender-neutral name, I'd personally prefer a gender-specific one with a neutral short form. Gives the kid the freedom to choose.

This right there is why I wanted to name my first daughter 'Alexara'. Unique, not difficult to spell, quite feminine, but the short forms are quite numerous: Alex, Lex, Aly, Al, Lexy, plus variations on the above.

Alas, this was not to be.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:20 pm UTC

Oh, Paris reminds me I've always liked London and Athens as names.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:29 pm UTC

Iranon wrote:Gender-neutral names often aren't. Robin registers as "could be both, probably female" in the English-speaking world and as "probably male" for German speakers. Andrea comes off as girly in most places but is quite firmly a boy's name in Italy... with the right surname it's a pleasing ambiguity that for a change doesn't feel wishy-washy.
Same sort of ambiguity applies to Paris really... but will have unfortunate associations with a pretty-but-vapid socialite either way.

I always thought Robin was a male name. I have a GCSE in German? Maybe that's it.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:
Iranon wrote:Gender-neutral names often aren't. Robin registers as "could be both, probably female" in the English-speaking world and as "probably male" for German speakers. Andrea comes off as girly in most places but is quite firmly a boy's name in Italy... with the right surname it's a pleasing ambiguity that for a change doesn't feel wishy-washy.

I always thought Robin was a male name. I have a GCSE in German? Maybe that's it.

It can definitely be both.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 pm UTC

I'll put in another vote for Robin. I really like that name for some reason. I've seen a difference in spelling sometimes ('Robyn' for a woman) but it doesn't seem like one that needs to be adhered to.
I turned to google to see some lists of gender-neutral names and it seems to think that 'Sage' is one (I thought it predominantly male) - but I like Sage, it's both a tasty herb and a wise person!

My partner and I disagree on whether or not meaning is important - I think meaning very important (or alternatively the name being after a beloved ancestor or the like) and prefer names that are a bit less common so they don't have the troubles of having 2-3 others with the same name in each class at school. My partner thinks the sound of the name being aesthetically pleasing to him is of prime importance, with very little regard given to the meaning.

meridian

Postby meridian » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:52 pm UTC

Double Robins!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:18 am UTC

Coin wrote:
Роберт wrote:

No, Sweden. I've seen plenty of Kim's with Swedish parents while I grew up.

My mother does editing work for a guy named Kim. I don't know where he grew up but he lives in the U.S.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:43 pm UTC

Reasons to name your child "Bob":
  • It's short.
  • It's tried and tested.
  • It's a palindrome.
  • It's easy to squeeze into haikus.
  • You know which hair cut to give your child.
  • It's associated with wholesome activities, such as building stuff, religion, as well as brisk winds.
  • Your child will be sent encrypted secrets from Alice.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:23 am UTC

There's a girl in a club I'm involved with, who recently, as a joke, introduced herself to me as Charlie. Although Charlie is usually short for "Charles", I can see it being short for "Charlotte" or even just on its own, and I think I can regard it as fairly gender neutral. Twould work for a boy or a girl.

We also call my grandmother Pat, which I suppose is a gender-neutral shortening for either "Patrick" or "Patricia". It's wierd though, because her name isn't Patricia (it's Priscilla).

Gabriel(la) may also work nicely. I'm not sure if there's a way to definitively neutralize it though.

Percy is one I've sort-of regarded as gender neutral.

I could also recommend you name your child "Hen", but now I think I'm just picking on parents insisting on gender-neutrality (though I agree that some gender neutral names are good).

The problem with children is that it's so difficult to determine what kind of name they should get at birth. For all we know, your child could grow up to perfectly fit the name "Butch" (I'm pretty sure I just made you shudder there). Just try to pick a suitable name at birth.

The name should be tailored to fit the child, not the other way around. Although babies do look pretty gender-neutral at birth swathed in their small blankets.

Hm....

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:43 am UTC

I've known at least one girl who goes by the name of Charlie, for what it's worth.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:38 am UTC

Angua wrote:I've known at least one girl who goes by the name of Charlie, for what it's worth.

Second.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

m0ffle

Postby m0ffle » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:00 pm UTC

Well, you could go with "Destruction Bot 2000"... but it is a bit common where I come from, so I side with the Idea of just calling it whatever it wants to be called at the age of five. Or Ira, that always works. If it happens to be a girl- then stormie.

VeganPirate

Postby VeganPirate » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:18 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Reasons to name your child "Bob":
Spoiler:
  • It's short.
  • It's tried and tested.
  • It's a palindrome.
  • It's easy to squeeze into haikus.
  • You know which hair cut to give your child.
  • It's associated with wholesome activities, such as building stuff,religion, as well as brisk winds.
  • Your child will be sent encrypted secrets from Alice.

You make a good point. A very good point.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

I'm suddenly reminded of George Parley.

TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 pm UTC

I was thinking I really liked Regan. I know it was used as a girl's name in whichever Shakespeare play it was in, but it doesn't scream "female" to me.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:32 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:17 pm UTC

Don't see anything.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:27 am UTC

Ditto.

Phoenix?

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:36 am UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:Image

Fixed image.

Anyway "Regan" screams "murderous political schemer" to me, so that might not be ideal.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Return to “General”