Bill Hicks

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Frankeinstein

Bill Hicks

Postby Frankeinstein » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:43 pm UTC

For those who don't know, Bill Hicks was a stand-up comedian noted for his social criticism and for being absolutely fucking hilarious.

There's a lot of his routines on youtube, go and watch, they're great.
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=bill+hicks
Sane man is a good one to start with (video)
Wikipedia article

My favorite quote from him.
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and hey come back to us, they say, "Hey – don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we … kill those people. "Shut him up. We have a lot invested in this ride. Shut him up. Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and my family. This just has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter, because – it's just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace."

--Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks is funny, but most of the time he's also right. He's always got a solid point he's getting across and it's funny without being lame. Sometimes you don't know if he's really angry or if it's just part of the show.

Thoughts? With a forum this size I just know people here know him so I'm not going to ask if anyone knows him. I know I'm not being incredibly effective at providing groundwork for discussion, but his work tends to provoke response.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:06 am UTC

i've only seen one bill hicks routine, but it was really good :) i can't remember what it was called, but it had a bit about the music industry sucking satan's cock...

i'd like to see more, i've seen a few in various friends' houses so i'll make an effort to watch them.
slow down, you move too fast

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:14 am UTC

The amusement park analogy sucks.

That is all.

Elise

Postby Elise » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:15 am UTC

Fantastic quote and link. Thank you.
more delicious than ever!

Frankeinstein

Postby Frankeinstein » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:16 am UTC

Saladin wrote:The amusement park analogy sucks.

That is all.

So does saying that. Please explain.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:21 am UTC

It's one of those stupid analogies that relies on everyone twisting what they actually think into this completely irrelevant other subject. A proper analogy would parallel the situation for it to actually be useful in comprehending the subject; however an amusement park can simply not be used to comprehend life as a whole. You might be able to think "Oh me yarm, amusement parks go physically up and down on a roller coaster, and life goes mentally "up" and "down", Oh me yarm GENIUS!" but it doesn't mean it's a good analogy.

Plus, what the hell is his point? Where are these people trying to suggest to me that the world isn't real? Where are the people killing these guys? No, in fact, I haven't "noticed that." And what does the world being an amusement park that isn't real (amusement parks are real anyway? bad analogy again) have to do with feeding the poor? Wtf?

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:03 am UTC

So the analogy itself is meaningless...but the whole deal about the fact that we're doing a terrible job as humanity, well, hey, that's a given.

Oh yeah, with the whole "analogy" thing, Feynman had some good things to say about those. Basically, you can make just about anything analogous to anything else, but it doesn't mean it actually means anything.

Frankeinstein

Postby Frankeinstein » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:39 am UTC

Saladin wrote:an amusement park can simply not be used to comprehend life as a whole. You might be able to think "Oh me yarm, amusement parks go physically up and down on a roller coaster, and life goes mentally "up" and "down", Oh me yarm GENIUS!" but it doesn't mean it's a good analogy.

Where does it say it's representing life as a whole? Note that it starts "The world is like a ride at an amusement park." There's a difference.

Saladin wrote:Plus, what the hell is his point? Where are these people trying to suggest to me that the world isn't real? Where are the people killing these guys? No, in fact, I haven't "noticed that."

This quote was a closing comment on his Revelations show so it's kind of taken out of context. In the end there are gunshots and Bill drops on the floor.

Saladin wrote:And what does the world being an amusement park that isn't real (amusement parks are real anyway? bad analogy again) have to do with feeding the poor? Wtf?

If you're going to make an analogy about nearly everything you're going to run into some problems since anything you use to make the analogy is included in the real thing. That doesn't mean the analogy isn't useful. In other words I don't see how that makes the analogy bad.
I don't think the point was to claim the world isn't real at all or deny objective reality, just that we experience it subjectively and the things we experience are powerfully affected by our minds and are not the ultimate, underlaying reality there is.
And the part about making the world a better place... Well, who would want to go to an amusement park and have a lousy time?

That quote reminds me of "How to build a universe that doesn't fall apart two days later" by Philip K. Dick, partly because he talks about reality and Disneyland.

Elise

Postby Elise » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:38 am UTC

Okay, so yeah, if you look too deep down in it, its a crappy analogy. But that is not the point. Analogies especially in comedy are meant to provoke a feeling, quickly. He was trying to say, "hey guys, its a shitty world, and were only making it shittier, but we can stop that, if we want to."

The analogy may not be the best, but if you are watching the HBO special or whatever, since he is speaking in familiar terms you can identify with the soundbyte, there is instant recognition, and then analysing the analogy can come later, but he got his point out to you.

Hate to say it, but serious deep analysis of standup comedy, no matter how funny or pointy, is kind of like building a car out of tuna fish. You see how little sense that makes.
more delicious than ever!

programmerbrad

Postby programmerbrad » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:17 am UTC

Elise wrote:Okay, so yeah, if you look too deep down in it, its a crappy analogy. But that is not the point. Analogies especially in comedy are meant to provoke a feeling, quickly. He was trying to say, "hey guys, its a shitty world, and were only making it shittier, but we can stop that, if we want to."

While I agree that you can't expect comedic analogies to be that deep, this doesn't seem that comedic to me. It more seems like one of those things where comedians and famous people think that just because you're watching them, you somehow care about their political stance, so they try to slide it into whatever it is they're doing.

Frankeinstein

Postby Frankeinstein » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:42 pm UTC

I still don't think it's a bad analogy. It would be if it was describing life as a process, but it isn't. There's more to it than the ride just going "up and down and round and round".
It's saying "relax, don't take it too seriously, even if everything goes to hell it doesn't matter - it's just life". It will all pass.

After an hour or so of constant satire and cynical remarks I think it's a good idea to end it that way. Nothing wrong with dreaming and maybe even making people think a little.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:12 pm UTC

You know what's weird? I heard that quote in a techno song last night. Damn that's freaky.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:54 pm UTC

It's a BAD analogy

Seriously

I AGREE with him.
But it's a BAD analogy
You can't change the ride at an amusement part
The ride is real, the DANGER is imagined.
the feelings are REAL, atleast int he sence that the mind expereiences them, wether or not the ride EXISTS, well shit, that is existentialistic and then the analogy doesn't hold, is he saying life isn't real?

Bleh

He wasn't great, wasn't bad, but hmm..
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Frankeinstein

Postby Frankeinstein » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:03 am UTC

Narsil wrote:You know what's weird? I heard that quote in a techno song last night. Damn that's freaky.

What song?

fjafjan wrote:You can't change the ride at an amusement part
The ride is real, the DANGER is imagined.
the feelings are REAL, atleast int he sence that the mind expereiences them, wether or not the ride EXISTS, well shit, that is existentialistic and then the analogy doesn't hold, is he saying life isn't real?

The way I see it it's not about life of an individual or about ontology, but about society and that brings with it politics, conformism, consumerism etc.

It gets the point across, it's funny, I like it.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:48 am UTC

You're seriously arguing over the semantics of an analogy? It's a comedic routine, and in this case, a bit of an inspirational one. All your points are NULL and VOID because you're picking apart someone else's art.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Frankeinstein

Postby Frankeinstein » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:57 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:You're seriously arguing over the semantics of an analogy? It's a comedic routine, and in this case, a bit of an inspirational one. All your points are NULL and VOID because you're picking apart someone else's art.

Well I'm arguing, that's all.
It's like the questiong whether or not pop song lyrics can be meaningful since they're mainly composed to sound good.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:02 am UTC

I was more talking to Saladin and Air Gear, sorry :p
i hurd u liek mudkips???

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:35 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:You're seriously arguing over the semantics of an analogy? It's a comedic routine, and in this case, a bit of an inspirational one. All your points are NULL and VOID because you're picking apart someone else's art.

What the hell's wrong with picking apart someone's art?

Music is the branch of art I know best; I always thought the day music died was the day when you could play crap in a concert hall, and play it badly, and people would applaud. You know, they rioted at the premiere of Rite of Spring. That didn't stop it from being great.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:26 am UTC

My point was that, well, it's an analogy. You can make anything analogous to anything else, so really, that part isn't that important. The part that matters is what's behind it, in this case the "bit of an inspirational" thing. That's the important part. So null and void? Nah. Just putting the focus where it needs to be...

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:52 am UTC

No one said you had to like it; but complaining that it's bad because of point A) and point B) is just stupid, ESPECIALLY when the guy is dead. No one wants to hear your analytical nit picking on every single detail of a performance that you have no chance of matching.

In my self righteous stupor, I will ask you all to bugger off with trying to fix his routine or correct some fallacy that has apparently offended you so.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:42 am UTC

you people obviously havent been on the ride long enough

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:54 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:No one said you had to like it; but complaining that it's bad because of point A) and point B) is just stupid, ESPECIALLY when the guy is dead. No one wants to hear your analytical nit picking on every single detail of a performance that you have no chance of matching.

In my self righteous stupor, I will ask you all to bugger off with trying to fix his routine or correct some fallacy that has apparently offended you so.

It doesn't matter if the guy is dead, and it doesn't matter if none of us could match his performance. Those things in no way make criticism of his work "NULL and VOID".

I see a lot of truth in his monologue; I am a person that, having been raised to focus on career as the main organizing factor of my life, is questioning that and starting to reject it, and that's the parallel that I see.

And that doesn't mean that I don't want to hear honest and uninhibited debate about his work. If someone disagrees with it and feels strongly about it he should say so and say why. And if other people find him misguided they can tell him why and he can choose to accept that or not.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:37 am UTC

The hell is your problem Peshmerga? He said he thought it was a great quote/analogy, I disagreed, we argued about it. What's the problem? How about you STFU about what I may or may not do, eh?

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:04 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:No one said you had to like it; but complaining that it's bad because of point A) and point B) is just stupid, ESPECIALLY when the guy is dead. No one wants to hear your analytical nit picking on every single detail of a performance that you have no chance of matching.

Analytical nitpicking? Since when is saying that the analytical part isn't the part that matters nitpicking? The "nitpicking" is all yours right now.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Re: Bill Hicks

Postby setzer777 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

I have to get on the "sucky analogy" bandwagon. It's not just bad when you analyze it; even at a surface level it has too many elements that make no sense in terms of the analogy, and it just seems jarring and sloppy. My opinion, of course.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:25 am UTC

setzer777 wrote:I have to get on the "sucky analogy" bandwagon. It's not just bad when you analyze it; even at a surface level it has too many elements that make no sense in terms of the analogy, and it just seems jarring and sloppy. My opinion, of course.

Bill Hicks is jarring and sloppy. He's relevant as an early-ish proponent of blue comedy with a social spin, and as a strong iconoclast, but his thesis statement is basically "if everybody did mushrooms we'd all see that nothing matters and be kind." His "jokes" usually involve yelling and taking things to grotesque conclusions, which really only takes a little patience. I think it's fitting that he and Tool had so close a relationship as I consider them strangely equivalent philosophically. They're both so convinced that what they have to say is worthwhile that they don't bother thinking beyond the superficial scribblings of angsty notebooks.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:55 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:[
Bill Hicks is jarring and sloppy. He's relevant as an early-ish proponent of blue comedy with a social spin, and as a strong iconoclast, but his thesis statement is basically "if everybody did mushrooms we'd all see that nothing matters and be kind." His "jokes" usually involve yelling and taking things to grotesque conclusions, which really only takes a little patience. I think it's fitting that he and Tool had so close a relationship as I consider them strangely equivalent philosophically. They're both so convinced that what they have to say is worthwhile that they don't bother thinking beyond the superficial scribblings of angsty notebooks.

I never liked Bill HIcks, but I never really thought about him enough to figure out why i didn't like him. This sums up my nascent feelings about him almost perfectly. Many thanks.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

I never heard of him until this thread, so I checked through the youtube clips. The one we were supposed to watch first seemed more like some philosophical speech than standup comedy. Then I watched what youtube thought was the most important clips of him (the first couple results when searching his name), and ended up watching a three minute rant where he just says "I hate advertisers" seventeen different ways, at one point even admitting "you think there's going to be a punchline but there isn't. I'm not joking." I guess you might be able to say "he's so right", but I find it hard to believe that there's anything to laugh at.

...as if enough people haven't hated on him enough in this thread. Should we move on to other targets now? How about Dane Cook?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

Aww, but at the end we all parachute to Dickjoke island and rest our weary heads as he entertains us with phallic humor!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:11 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Aww, but at the end we all parachute to Dickjoke island and rest our weary heads as he entertains us with phallic humor!

He always makes assumptions about the audience - that his ramblings are some kind of great truth, and that everybody is too stupid to understand it as they just want dick jokes. Well, his dick jokes suck and 90% of his "serious" material doesn't really drive beyond the standard output of every shut-in stoner you'd ever met. Like so many bad comedians he learned sleight of mouth pretty quickly, distracting from the vapidity of his material with enough energy and persona.

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Aww, but at the end we all parachute to Dickjoke island and rest our weary heads as he entertains us with phallic humor!

He always makes assumptions about the audience - that his ramblings are some kind of great truth, and that everybody is too stupid to understand it as they just want dick jokes. Well, his dick jokes suck and 90% of his "serious" material doesn't really drive beyond the standard output of every shut-in stoner you'd ever met. Like so many bad comedians he learned sleight of mouth pretty quickly, distracting from the vapidity of his material with enough energy and persona.

This. This is the reason I've never liked Bill Hicks. To me he's always seemed like the guy that wants to say "profound" stuff, but has always come off as trying to hard to me. And most Bill Hick fans that I've met tend to come off to me the same way, they try to talk to me about all these "profound" topics like the nature of life, but end up looking just like a shut-in stoner (a perfect description).

Louis CK gets compared to him all the time, which aggravates me to no end, as I LOVE Louis CK and don't see it at all. Louis has always come across as a fairly average guy who tends to work hard at what he does, and occasionally comes out with a joke that will make me laugh harder than I ever have. Louis CK will actually say things that make you think "did he really have the nerve to say that" and he comes across as being completely okay with it, as it's just how he feels. Bill Hicks says stuff that is "edgy" and hard to take in, but he says that just for the reaction that saying that stuff will get. He says it on purpose, he reminds me of a low class racial comic who throws slurs around for laughs, he's just polished it up a bit to make it seem like he's not the no-talent hack that he is.

I have never laughed at Bill Hicks. Not even once. I've watched plenty of his material, and none of it has ever made me laugh. It's just awful awful awful. His whole "marketing" bit that shows up at the top of the first link posted, was just awful. "Marketing" is the root of all evil is it? Wow what a controversial and new stance you're taking! And saying "kill yourself" a bunch of times was supposed to be what, edgy? No Bill. It's not edgy, and it's not funny, and I don't like you. His "Non-smoking" bit is just as bad, using cheap "gross out" tactics with the phlegm bit... honestly I could explain further but I don't want to because just thinking about how awful it is makes me irritated.

Over many years of being a fan of stand-up, I've heard Bill Hicks' name countless times. And every time I say I don't like him at all and find him completely un-funny and explain why, it gets passed off as me "not getting it" (not every time, but a large majority of the times). No, it's not that I don't "get" it, I just hate it.

I'd have to say a large percentage of popular renowned comics make me want to gag.

Black.Rose.Immortal

Postby Black.Rose.Immortal » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:13 am UTC

I think this thread was sort of a bad idea. Its just one person's opinion thrust upon others and now general debate has been sparked about both the comedian in question and the analogy put forth. Perhaps we could change the thread name to "Favourite Comedians and shit they say" to help people to be more objective about the whole thing. Bill Hick's may or may not be funny. You may like him, hate him or think otherwise. The point of this thread was not to insult him or to undermine his work, it was in efforts to share his work with others and generate an appreciation for him. Perhaps you think he's no good. Well then who, in your opinion, do you think is better?

Just sayin'...
17/F/Australian/weird

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:19 am UTC

Black.Rose.Immortal wrote:Stuff about being nice and appreciating others' interests.

You're getting into some pretty philosophical ground about the purpose of message boards, my friend.

Black.Rose.Immortal

Postby Black.Rose.Immortal » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:39 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:
Black.Rose.Immortal wrote:Stuff about being nice and appreciating others' interests.

You're getting into some pretty philosophical ground about the purpose of message boards, my friend.

No that's what /b/and facebook are for. Internet shouldn't have to be a place where awful people meet.
17/F/Australian/weird

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:53 am UTC

Black.Rose.Immortal wrote:
Clumpy wrote:

No that's what /b/and facebook are for. Internet shouldn't have to be a place where awful people meet.

I was kind of being self-effacing there. I don't think that any of us were being particularly awful, though I cede that bumping into a thread with a thorough denunciation of the OP topic is kind of sociopathic and I ought to tone it down even if some people agree with me.

Themata

Postby Themata » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:55 am UTC

For all of you saying he is, he is, he is.

He WAS. He died of pancreatic cancer in 1994.

Bill Hicks' comedy is incredible and insightful for some, and not so much for others. Just because you're one of the people who doesn't like him doesn't mean you should challenge his approach to comedy and try to say that there's nothing funny about him. I also believe you can't just watch a clip on youtube and make a judgement on his entire performance. Normally short clips just don't do him justice and you have to watch the whole performance to really see what makes it work.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:41 am UTC

Themata wrote:For all of you saying he is, he is, he is.

He WAS. He died of pancreatic cancer in 1994.

Bill Hicks' comedy is incredible and insightful for some, and not so much for others. Just because you're one of the people who doesn't like him doesn't mean you should challenge his approach to comedy and try to say that there's nothing funny about him. I also believe you can't just watch a clip on youtube and make a judgement on his entire performance. Normally short clips just don't do him justice and you have to watch the whole performance to really see what makes it work.

I was going off of Rant in E Minor. I also use the "is" because Bill Hicks still is some things in my mind (without using the caveat "his material is"), even though he's no longer alive. You might say "[x] is one of the best performers I've ever seen" even though the person is deceased.

Black.Rose.Immortal

Postby Black.Rose.Immortal » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:56 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:I was kind of being self-effacing there. I don't think that any of us were being particularly awful, though I cede that bumping into a thread with a thorough denunciation of the OP topic is kind of sociopathic and I ought to tone it down even if some people agree with me.

Sorry, I think I actually misread your prior post and I didn't meant o come off so abrupt. But I do think that we should show some respect to creator of this thread, Bill Hicks is obviously someone they admire, we should accept that if not Bill Hicks.
17/F/Australian/weird

Return to “General”