Climate change? Noooo... Hey look, no snow on december!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Frankeinstein

Climate change? Noooo... Hey look, no snow on december!

Postby Frankeinstein » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:17 am UTC

I know climate change has been discussed, but I had to use that subject line.

Well it's December and there's no snow here in Finland.
And I think we're not the only one: Warmest autumn in forever: No winter for Europe

Strange weather? Raining frogs? Polar bears catching the sun at the beach and drinking beer? Post it here.

Framling

Postby Framling » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:06 am UTC

Man, no snow in December is pretty much why I moved to Seattle. This is from South Dakota, the asshole of the world, weather-wise. And...a lot of other things-wise.
your = belonging to you
you're = you are
their = belonging to them
they're = they are
there = not here

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:15 am UTC

Framling wrote:Man, no snow in December is pretty much why I moved to Seattle. This is from South Dakota, the asshole of the world, weather-wise. And...a lot of other things-wise.

That's the one that banned abortion, right?
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:15 am UTC

It only just snowed here near Boston like 2 days ago, and it didn't stick. It's hella cold though...

Frankeinstein

Postby Frankeinstein » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:39 am UTC

Last month it snowed a little, but now it just rains. It feels like spring all the time. Now I'm just waiting for the christmas floods.

Framling

Postby Framling » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:41 am UTC

william wrote:
Framling wrote:Man, no snow in December is pretty much why I moved to Seattle. This is from South Dakota, the asshole of the world, weather-wise. And...a lot of other things-wise.

That's the one that banned abortion, right?

They voted it down! I was suprised, it's really not like South Dakota to pass up an opportunity to look stupid in front of the rest of the country.

Seriously, though, that's another big reason for the move.
your = belonging to you
you're = you are
they're = they are
there = not here

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:04 am UTC

I have an aunt-uncle pair (I like that as a term, even if it sounds a bit mathematical/geeky) in South Dakota, and they think it's a beautiful place.

They're not hillbillies or whatever, either.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:38 am UTC

I'm up in Victoria, British Columbia (Canada fur all youz yankeez :P), which is just hours from Seattle. We get maybe one snowfall a year, and only a few inches at that - we rarely get more than a foot. Over the past 27 years (27 years ago was a biggie) we've had 2 big snowfalls (over a foot) in total. Over the past 9 years, we've had none. Guess what happened this year?

LOTS OF SNOW!

Okay, so 2 feet of snow, but still, it was in freaking November! It never snows here, especially not in November!

So hah.

Framling

Postby Framling » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:20 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:I'm up in Victoria, British Columbia (Canada fur all youz yankeez :P), which is just hours from Seattle. We get maybe one snowfall a year, and only a few inches at that - we rarely get more than a foot. Over the past 27 years (27 years ago was a biggie) we've had 2 big snowfalls (over a foot) in total. Over the past 9 years, we've had none. Guess what happened this year?

LOTS OF SNOW!

Okay, so 2 feet of snow, but still, it was in freaking November! It never snows here, especially not in November!

So hah.

Yeah, we got a few inches here.

I think it was just Seattle trying to impress us. Everyone was all "IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD, IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD! WHAT DO WE DO, WHAT DO WE DO?!?" And we just laughed. And laughed.

I did learn that a big part of the problem isn't that people don't know how to drive in it (although they don't), it's that the entire infrastructure of this area has no idea what to do with the snow. So it just melts and re-freezes into a layer of deadly ice. In most of the areas I drive, literally the only factor operating to remove snow from the road surface was people's tires. No plows, no salting or sanding, nothing. It all just got worn off eventually.

I took it all as an encouraging sign that this place almost never has to deal with it, which tells me this is the right place for me.

As for SD being pretty, I think I'm going to have to disagree there. You don't know flat until you've driven across Eastern South Dakota. You go for six-hour stretches where there's fields to the right, fields to the left, and road ahead and behind. We're talking Desert Bus boring. Whereas just about every day I'll see some sight or another here that just floors me.
your = belonging to you
you're = you are
they're = they are
there = not here

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:33 am UTC

No snow in Moskow either.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:23 am UTC

No snow here eighter. There is some in northern Finland, I think but I live in the very southern end.

grim4593

Postby grim4593 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:37 am UTC

Well we have had snow here in Michigan, however it was very warm through most of November which is very odd. Last year we had a bunch of "Indian summers" where all the snow would melt in December and January and have 60-70 degree weather for like a week before dropping down to snow and ice temperatures.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:55 pm UTC

no snow as yet in central scotland :(
slow down, you move too fast

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:56 pm UTC

No snow in England (suprise)

GUESS WHAT THOUGH - it's raining!!

I'm cold as well :(
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:56 pm UTC

We never snow in december. I'd be more concerned if it did snow.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:14 pm UTC

I hate you all! I'm freezing my ass off here.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:42 pm UTC

Near mid december and not even near snow here

Usually atleast slush by now...
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:36 pm UTC

There was a funny moment, shortly after Thanksgiving (late November), when we were in our math class, discussing order axioms. The people on the other side of the room are looking out the window and not paying attention, so the professor looks too. Snow coming down... not sticking, but just blowing in the air, the kind that makes a kid hopeful that school will get cancelled. After a few minutes, we had to get back to work.

And that was in Tennessee, which does get some snow, even if it hasn't been much in recent years.

The thing about climate change is that it's tough to point out the window and go, "Look! Climate change!" The recorded temperatures over several years usually do the convincing for me there. ^_^

I wasn't aware that Europe was staying warm though. Let us know when it does snow!

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:59 pm UTC

if scandinavian fjaf is worried, then i'm worried too... i want snow :(
slow down, you move too fast

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:19 pm UTC

I don't know what everyone here is bitching about.
In Kentucky/Southern Indiana - its fucking cold.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:53 pm UTC

Sonic# wrote:There was a funny moment, shortly after Thanksgiving (late November), when we were in our math class, discussing order axioms. The people on the other side of the room are looking out the window and not paying attention

A story that starts out like that is always good? :P

I'll let ya know, no snow today, just really fucking rainy and windy. REALLY

Still solidly above zero though.
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Frankeinstein

Postby Frankeinstein » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:07 pm UTC

Very windy here too, but no rain at all. I'm thinking what if it doesn't snow this december. No snow at all. Maybe well just skip it entirely.

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:17 pm UTC

I nearly drowned this morning...then by the afternooon it was dry and warmish... :shock:
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:33 pm UTC

Here in teh valley I can go on bike rides that take me through tons of temperature and precipitation variation. We've lately been having the opposite of what you had, sunny mornings and rainy afternoons.

Microclimates FTW!
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:37 pm UTC

and concerns about the world getting warmer, people thought that they were just being rewarded ....... Now we can swim any day in Novermber

Anyone?

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:18 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:
and concerns about the world getting warmer, people thought that they were just being rewarded ....... Now we can swim any day in Novermber

Anyone?

No. :P

Actually, that was one of the songs that pissed me off less than some of the other ones on that album.

Then that dude went on to form this other band and I heard the first 30 seconds of one of their albums 'cause my brother left it in the car and decided that they suck irredeemably.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:38 pm UTC

NW England. Pissfreezing cold and relief (hah) rain from the Pennines bucketing every hour or so for about half an hour. Windy enough to blow a santa hat enough (observational evidence).

Okay, maybe not actually pissfreezing (this actually happens, but I have never had it happen to me) but cold enough to warrant penguin-style huddling.

Yeah.

SO I hear Australia's quite nice this time of Decade?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:24 pm UTC

Okay, this weekend and most of last week, it was like 20 degrees (that's F, so like -128 celsius? I have no idea.) Now, you ask? Its about 55 and its supposed to be 60+ all week.

Whats up with that? But I'm all for it.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:49 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:Okay, this weekend and most of last week, it was like 20 degrees (that's F, so like -128 celsius?

Mental math says about -6C :P .

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:48 am UTC

-20F is 0C, I believe. That is what I always thought... :?

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:53 am UTC

hermaj wrote:-20F is 0C, I believe. That is what I always thought... :?

0C is 32F.
-40C is -40F.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:59 am UTC

Ahhh. Thankyou. I have never understood Fahrenheit at all ever. What is the boiling point of water in Fahrenheit? For us it freezes at 0C and boils at 100C. Easy.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:16 am UTC

Water boils around 212F.

The conversion is F = 9/5 * C + 32, where F is number of degrees Fahrenheit and C is number of degrees Celsius.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:18 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Ahhh. Thankyou. I have never understood Fahrenheit at all ever. What is the boiling point of water in Fahrenheit? For us it freezes at 0C and boils at 100C. Easy.

32 and 212.
Believe it or not, there is a method to the madness of Fahrenheit.
0F is the lowest freezing point of a combination of water and salt.
100F is supposed to be the temperature of the human body but Mr. Fahrenheit made some calculation errors.

grim4593

Postby grim4593 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:26 am UTC

EDIT: You beat me :(

Framling

Postby Framling » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:59 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Ahhh. Thankyou. I have never understood Fahrenheit at all ever. What is the boiling point of water in Fahrenheit? For us it freezes at 0C and boils at 100C. Easy.

Well, it used to. Before 1954, Celcius was defined by the freezing and boiling points of water (0 and 100 degrees Celsius, respectively) at one standard atmosphere (a unit defined by the mean atmospheric pressure at sea level at the lattitude of Paris, France). Now, it's defined by aboslute zero (i.e. -273.15 degrees Celsius) and the triple point of VSMOW (Vienna Standard Mean Ocean Water), an isotopic water standard defined in 1968.

It kinda bugs me when Metric users talk down on Fahrenheit because it's arbitrary when Celcius is based on the characteristics of an arbitrary substance at an arbitrary pressure. Fahrenheit may be arbitrary, but at least it doesn't have any pretensions to the contrary.

On a related note, I love how careful people are about conversions. For instance, body temperature in Celsius is around 37 degrees. Roughly. Give or take. But convert 37 Celsius to Fahrenheit and you get exactly 98.6. So normal body temperature in Fahrenheit is exactly 98.6.
your = belonging to you
you're = you are
they're = they are
there = not here

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:38 am UTC

I swear we learnt a decimal point for normal core body temperature in Celcius. 37.4C or thereabouts. I could just be defensive. :P

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:41 am UTC

Guys, it snowed here the other ... week. It didn't stick, but it snowed quite a lot. The last time that happened I was in seventh grade and we missed school for two days.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:29 am UTC

37.5 I think is people temperature.

Today's temperature here was 32 according to my car thermometer, and 28 according to the one in my room which feels quite cool compared to outside. It was hot enough for my to rip off my sleeves.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:20 am UTC

Verysillyman wrote:37.5 I think is people temperature.

Today's temperature here was 32 according to my car thermometer, and 28 according to the one in my room which feels quite cool compared to outside. It was hot enough for my to rip off my sleeves.

You're too sexy for your sleeves?

Edit: Ohp, no, just saw your "post-your-face". Never mind.

I kid I kid!! Don't kill me!

Return to “General”