Calling all those in the US of A

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Calling all those in the US of A

Postby Grincement » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:32 pm UTC

Anyone know how to convert US clothe sizes to British clothe sizes?

(I'm coming to New York soon, and plan to restock my wardrobe) :D
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Re: Calling all those in the US of A

Postby william » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:40 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:Anyone know how to convert US clothe sizes to British clothe sizes?

I don't even know British clothes sizes so no.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:46 pm UTC

As with anywhere, you'd have to try the clothes on before buying them anyway? Why buying new clothes while traveling? If you buy very much it will add to your luggage considerably... that would drive me insane.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:04 pm UTC

If you're

get a small

a medium will do

get a large please
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Buton

Postby Buton » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:21 pm UTC

I think women have a harder time with clothes size than that...

Buton

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:22 pm UTC

Frankly I don't see the need for women to wear clothing at all.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:23 pm UTC

And Pesh has answered his own question! :P
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:26 pm UTC

Or alternately, as my dad always says, "The more clothes a woman wears the prettier she is. No woman can possibly be as beautiful as she is in a man's imagination."

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:26 pm UTC

I posed a question?
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:27 pm UTC

aldimond wrote:As with anywhere, you'd have to try the clothes on before buying them anyway? Why buying new clothes while traveling? If you buy very much it will add to your luggage considerably... that would drive me insane.

Indeed I will try on, but I wasn't sure what number (or whatever it is) to start with...would save me some time, time that could have been spent buying more things!

Also, I plan to take a bag with only the essentials in and once I'm there, I buy everything else...and then it just gets put in my bag... et voila!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:27 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:I posed a question?

(Fine, Pesh has responded to his own statement... grumble grumble...)

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:30 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:Also, I plan to take a bag with only the essentials in and once I'm there, I buy everything else...and then it just gets put in my bag... et voila!

That is a crafty plan!

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:30 pm UTC

I'm female :D

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:34 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:I'm female :D

So a 'bag of essentials' is roughly the size of a full grown manatee?
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:41 pm UTC

Included in the bag is:

Male 1x
Blush 1x
Money 3000x
Mirror 3x
Sly wit 1x
i hurd u liek mudkips???

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:46 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:Included in the bag is:

Male 1x
Blush 1x
Money 3000x
Mirror 3x
Sly wit 1x

I think you underestimate the amount of sly wit and males

*edit: corrected. I dunno what i was thinking there
Last edited by fjafjan on Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:00 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:I think you amount of sly wit and males

Is fjafjan really a markov chain in disguise?
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

hermaj

Re: Calling all those in the US of A

Postby hermaj » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:16 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:Anyone know how to convert US clothe sizes to British clothe sizes?

This should help you out.

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:15 am UTC

I'm not sure if there's any easy conversion factor. My sister's a good example for this one; she's about 5'1 and maybe 80 pounds. She'll go shopping in most places and...even if it's something extra-small/"petite"/size 0/whatever, it'll be too large. Then there was her trip to NYC, where things marked just regular small/size some small yet nonzero natural number would fit perfectly. Basically...it seems like it's still highly dependent on exactly where you're shopping.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:24 am UTC

Yeah but it helps in that at least it gives you a basic target range. So you convert say, an Australian size 10 and then you know that if you go to America you need to look for clothes at about a 6 (starting to wish I lived there!) and from there you can move up or down as you see fit. But it gives you a good place to start.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:06 am UTC

It also depends on the era.

Because the US population keeps getting so fat, the same number in clothing size gets bigger. So if 20 years ago you were a size 6, you might now be, say, a size 3 (I'm not sure of the actual numbers, being a guy).

Skinny girls, therefore, are often size zeros, and sometimes even in the negatives.

It seems that computer software isn't the only place where [North] American companies are lax with their standards.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:21 am UTC

Man it would suck if you actually had to choose clothes that fit you. Silly girls.

I just alternate between L and XL for everything I wear, generally in random.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:28 am UTC

I disagree fundamentally with size 0!! You cannot be a size that isn't. What is 0? That is no size at all. You guys should be like us, and as everyone gets fatter you just add more sizes up the top. That is not as accomodating for larger ladies who have to deal with things like being a size 26, but at least it does not imply that we skinny lasses are going to disappear.

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:41 am UTC

Air Gear wrote:I'm not sure if there's any easy conversion factor. My sister's a good example for this one; she's about 5'1 and maybe 80 pounds. She'll go shopping in most places and...even if it's something extra-small/"petite"/size 0/whatever, it'll be too large. Then there was her trip to NYC, where things marked just regular small/size some small yet nonzero natural number would fit perfectly. Basically...it seems like it's still highly dependent on exactly where you're shopping.

It's the same in any country that you go to. Here, in England, the sizes range from size 4 to into the 30s (I think). HOWEVER, clothes that are actually stocked in stores are normally size 8 - 16 (you're lucky to find size 6 or size 18 ). Even then, when you think you know your size there is no consistancy in the measurements, even for, say, the same pair of trousers. Get two size 6s of an identical pair of trousers and you'll find a difference in leg length or waist size.

Guys have it much easier and more intelligently labeled with actual measurements given rather than being forced to fit into a category of size X.

Can you tell this is one of my pet hates? Clothes shopping for me is awful as I have a size 6 waist yet size 8 leg length....here's hoping I can find some clothes that fit me in NYC :?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:26 pm UTC

I am in between sizes; closer to 12 in the bust and hips, and a 10 for the waist. I am usually alright with a 10 for tops and a 12 for bottoms, but I have to deal with low jeans and difficulty in finding dresses. For most stuff here it's a similar story with me switching between 10s and 12s depending on the store, but I do have 8s and 14s in my wardrobe as well, and a range from XS to L. I tend to go to the same department stores so I basically know what size to look for when I go to each - it's not so much of an issue for me.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:16 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:I am in between sizes; closer to 12 in the bust and hips, and a 10 for the waist. I am usually alright with a 10 for tops and a 12 for bottoms, but I have to deal with low jeans and difficulty in finding dresses. For most stuff here it's a similar story with me switching between 10s and 12s depending on the store, but I do have 8s and 14s in my wardrobe as well, and a range from XS to L. I tend to go to the same department stores so I basically know what size to look for when I go to each - it's not so much of an issue for me.

I have no idea what that means in all your metric silliness, but if you convert it to USCS, I'm sure it equals HOTT!
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:28 pm UTC

Wikipedia does provide this, but it's understandably disputed because there is no true US standard adhered to anymore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... hing_Sizes

I've also seen a site describing the US size only two less than the UK size. http://www.ethicallyme.com/help_sizes.html

So that'll give you a range, anyhow. It would help immensely if I actually knew how New York City stores typically did their sizes, but that'll save you some time. :wink:

Return to “General”