Do you Dream?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cegan09

Do you Dream?

Postby cegan09 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:29 pm UTC

Slight spin off of the dream thread. I've spent the great majority of my life either not dreaming, or just having zero recollection of them when waking up. And by that i mean i remembered nothing. I would fall asleep, and as far as i was concerned immediately wake up ~8hours later. The only dream i ever remembered was the one that would let me know i was about to wake up and get sick.

About 10 months ago that started to change. Suddenly i was having insanely detailed and complex dreams. Some of them were so developed and well put together they could be full blown movies. As far as i can tell there was no trigger for this, it just happened. It's been weird getting the sudden insight to what is going on inside my head when i'm not manipulating it.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

rolo91

Re: Do you Dream?

Postby rolo91 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

Personally, I have periods of time on which I dream a lot and periods on which I can't remember anything.

It's pretty irregular, but I've found that I dream a lot more when there are changes in my life. That is, when I'm working more, when I'm dedicating my time to something meaningful, when I'm travelling... The key for me is stepping away from routine.

I have the feeling that this has to do with the fact that during sleep we develop our long-term memory, and probably routinary things are less likely to be remembered, so they mean less activity during sleep. But that's just a wild guess based on my experience, I don't have any scientific evidence to prove it.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

Sentence fragment.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Brickmack

Postby Brickmack » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:00 am UTC

I normally remember when I dream, but not always. Its a bit disorienting, since from my perspective no time passes between closing my eyes and waking up, literally the time span of a blink. Its even worse during the parts of the year when the sun comes up later, so when I wake up with no idea how long its been, I sometimes end up having breakfast and stuff before realizing its only 3 or 4 am.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:45 pm UTC

Dream wrote:Sentence fragment.

evading the question. What are you hiding?!?

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:49 pm UTC

webzter_again wrote:

Do you, webzter_again?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
webzter_again wrote:

Do you, webzter_again?

I

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

Even when I don't remember any of my dreams, I always wake up with the impression that a long time has passed, and a lot of things happened that I can't remember.
The times that I've felt like I woke up immediately have been pretty rare, especially when alcohol was not involved.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

I dream quite a bit and have managed to gain some level of conscious control of my dreams (I can prolong the dream for a while, or I can force myself awake, or I can change certain things within the narrative). I don't remember too many all that vividly, but I do remember parts of some dreams that deeply affected me (yes, some have), and some of those go back a few years.
I looked out across the river today …

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:07 pm UTC

The bulk of my dreams tend to fall into two categories: Very detailed, or very simple. The very detailed ones I can normally recall every single detail of. The simple ones I can sum up in one sentence, usually in only a few words: "(Noun) was/were (Verb) (Noun)." I might be able to recall the location, but not too much detail about said location. I might recognize it as being the living room of a house I used to live in, but I might not recall the furniture, or the weather outside, or if there was anything on the walls.
PRG

An important message for you:

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:20 pm UTC

I always remember dreaming when I wake up, however, my bf rarely remembers his dreams (and mainly if he's sick).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

cegan09

Postby cegan09 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:18 am UTC

I'm still getting more vivid dreams. I can influence them slightly, and a few times i've purposely woken up to escape from a dream. Last night was the first time i've ever woken up violently however. Not on purpose, what happened was so violent it pumped so much adrenaline through me i woke up yelling. It was unsettling.

undecim

Postby undecim » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:16 am UTC

I've done roughly the same thing. Every once in a while, I would remember a dream, but after ~19 years of age, I started to have really complex dreams. And it seems like they've been getting more and more complex.

For a while, I tried lucid dreaming. I never could get it, because any time I tried a reality check in my dream, it wouldn't work; my feet were always there (sometimes even shoes), my wristwatch was always sane, and the lights always worked. Though every once in a while, I would do a reality check and even though it passed, I would realize... somehow, that I'm in a dream. I would say to myself "Yeah, my feet are there when I look down... but for some reason I feel like I'm dreaming".

Once, I even had a dream that I had a lucid dream. Looking back on the dream that morning, I felt that I had absolutely no conscious control over it, but in the dream, I felt that I did. The dream even included a false-awakening and a journal entry. (though my journal was a green notebook, instead of a blue one).

I should start publishing my dream journal to let other people psycho-analyze me...
Blue, blue, blue

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:19 am UTC

undecim wrote:I should start publishing my dream journal to let other people psycho-analyze me...

This might not work as well as you'd think. Other people don't know what all your mental circuits and associations look like.

For me, for example, a dream about someone pointing a gun at my stomach would probably be my own anxiety about a medical condition I have. For you, it would probably be completely different.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 am UTC

I have some weird dreams, one that I'm considering turning into a short story. It involves a department store mirror, candy, two goddesses (one representing lust, and another panic), Jesus (who runs a lamp shop, and is fairly racist), a group of people called "The Unknowns" that no one has ever heard of but anyone can tell you all about if you ask, someone who still thinks he's fighting the Vietnam War, SG-1, convicts in a forced labor camp that didn't realize that their cell doors didn't have locks on them, and lamps. The only problem is that my dream was more or less without plot, so I have no clue where to start.

Most of my dreams, however, I don't recall.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Derricks

Postby Derricks » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

i dream a lot but most of the time i see horror dream and need to get up from the bed immediately to get rid of that fear....

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:05 am UTC

undecim wrote:For a while, I tried lucid dreaming. I never could get it, because any time I tried a reality check in my dream, it wouldn't work; my feet were always there (sometimes even shoes), my wristwatch was always sane, and the lights always worked. Though every once in a while, I would do a reality check and even though it passed, I would realize... somehow, that I'm in a dream. I would say to myself "Yeah, my feet are there when I look down... but for some reason I feel like I'm dreaming".
Pinch your nose shut and try to breathe through it. This is the only test that's never failed me, except for the times it didn't convince me.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:16 am UTC

I remember a dream about once a week. Usually they are nonsensical. Rarely do people I actually know appear, and when they do it usually isn't good. And when I have a wet dream I always wake up before it gets good. There have never been any exceptions to this. On second thought, I always wake up before it gets awesome. To this there have been absolutely no exceptions.

GoldenJoe

Postby GoldenJoe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:23 am UTC

Beware the wall of text!

I don't often remember my dreams now, but for a while, I could remember up to four or five separate dreams per NIGHT. This was at a time when I did alot of meditation and actually spent a little time analyzing my dreams. Keeping a journal does aid in recollection as does getting a good sleep cycle, but regardless of what you remember, you're probably having dreams whether you realize it or not. The best way to fully remember your dreams is to keep a little pen and paper next to your bed, and as soon as you wake up, don't actually open your eyes or anything. Keep your eyes closed, and try to keep the feeling that you had in the dream, and let the memories come back to you. When you are ready to write the dream down, only record keywords and essential bits. If you immediately start to write the dream out in detail, you will forget pieces or other dreams entirely. Once you have all the essential elements of the dream(s) written down, then you can go back any time in the day and finish recording the details. The memories will come back to you as you read over the keywords and remember the feelings you had.

I also want to add that I would consider there to be four different kinds of dreams: normal, symbolic, lucid, and precognitive. Some dreams also have what I can only describe as an awakening property.

Normal dreams are caused by what I believe is our brains' equivalent of reformatting a hard drive. Human memories are organized by the relationships they have with other memories and how powerful our emotions were when they were created. Think of our memories as being less like a windows file system, and more like a google search. I think that somewhere in our brain, these memories get moved around in some way so that we can more efficiently recall more recent and important memories. This is my explanation for dreams that seem completely random and make no sense. There may be familiar landmarks and objects, but nothing fits together in a coherent way.

example: You're at a shopping center. There are two moons, and you're late for class. You try to go to class, but the skateboard you never owned is broken, so you go buy a kitten so that you can get home in time for thanksgiving dinner. Suddenly, you notice that you are completely naked, but nobody else seems to notice why. You try to find clothes, but can't because you're suddenly on a rollercoaster. Then a spider jumps on your shoulder and you wake up.

Symbolic dreams are dreams that have an immediate symbolic significance. It could either be due to something in your life that is consciously stressing you out (and upcoming test, losing your job, etc), or something that is affecting you that you may not be consciously aware of (not quite being able to find happiness, having self doubt, etc). If you take the time to analyze what the symbols and events in the dream mean to you, there is usually a real psychological value to what you discover.

example: You're in the woods camping with some friends, but suddenly a bear attacks you, and your friends flee when you call for help. (You feel isolated in some way or cannot completely trust or be open with your friends IRL, therefore you seek a deeper kind of relationship with someone)

Lucid dreams are dreams that you can consciously control. Some people will experience these naturally, but others won't. It is possible to greatly increase your chance of experiencing a lucid dream by training for it (checking your watch, repeating a mantra, etc). Sometimes the realization that you are in a dream can cause you to wake up. It may be necessary to practice some kind of personal technique to keep your consciousness from totally taking over while still remembering that you are dreaming. For example, you might experience a spinning or light headed sensation, and have to clear your mind and focus on the feeling of the dream in order to hold on to it. Because symbolic dreams can often have a significant message for the dreamer, some people discourage using lucid dreams too often.

example: You're at the mall. You look at your watch and ask yourself how you got to the mall. Realizing that you don't know how you got to the mall, you recognize that you are in a dream. You've always wanted a lightsaber, so you make one out of thin air, and summon an army of ninjas so that you can test it out.

Precognitive dreams are the most debatable kind of dreams, as they are literally a vision of the future. I've never found a way to increase the frequency of this kind of dream, and I think it may happen differently for some people. It seems to happen to most people, but very very infrequently. The most common form of a precognitive dream I'm aware of is a literal scene or experience that the dreamer experiences in real life, typically a few weeks to three months later. When you reach the dream scene in real life, you get a strong feeling of de ja vu. Most are very short, so the real experience is often over too quickly to do anything. I've had one opportunity to try and divert from the sequence of a precognitive dream once I recognized the de ja vu, but curiously, I failed, and it played out the exact same anyway. I don't know if it's possible to change a dream like this or not, since it's been many years since that chance, and those dreams are very difficult to remember anyway.

example: You're at a table with one of your friends. Two other people at the table are playing cards, and your friend is playing a DS. You look over to see the game, but can't make it out and the dream ends. Two months later, you go to hang out with your friends at a party. When you go to the kitchen, you see that two people are playing cards, and one is playing a DS. Curious, you peek over to see what he's playing, and as soon as you do, you get slammed with a sense of de ja vu, and remember that this is the scene you say before, right down to the placement of the cards on the table.

Awakening dreams could be any of the previous dreams (though I personally never had it happen in a lucid dream possibly due to experiencing few in the first place). The difference is the presence of a special quality. When you wake up, you have a very strange feeling. It is strange because it is exceptionally strong, but the feeling is that of calmness, very much like what you experience during meditation. It is not like when you wake up from a dream feeling scared or happy, feelings which will quickly be forgotten along with the dream. The awakening dream gives you powerful, trance-like feeling that lasts all day. My best explanation is that it is somehow created by your consciousness not assuming full control when you wake up, allowing your subconscious to remain active. This state is very desirable, because your ability to focus improves noticeably, and emotions seem to be easier to control and more positive in general. There may be many other benefits. Another notable quality of this kind of dream is that you can experience it through meditation as well as dreaming. In either case, I found no way to increase the likelihood of experiencing this kind of dream. All I can say is that the feeling is wonderful - it can be described as feeling like a breakthrough or epiphany.

example: You see yourself standing on a hill. There is a cloudy blue aura partially surrounding you. The aura crystallizes into countless orange needles, and you wake up feeling weird.

I'd love to hear what kind of dreams everyone has experienced, especially if they are related to the last two. Maybe if the idea is popular, we could make a new thread for discussing the different types of dreams.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:20 am UTC

I once had a precognitive dream. At least, I believe it was a precognitive dream. Happened around my birthday back in 2002 or 2003.

In the dream, I was in the town of Monticello, GA, where my parents and I used to live. I needed to withdraw some money, but knew I didn't have enough in the bank to withdraw, and to cover the ATM fees. I walked up to the drive-up window at the local bank, and said I needed to borrow some money. Since I didn't have an account, I was only allowed to borrow one of three amounts: $10, $20, or $100. Naturally, I chose the $100. The amounts were in three small, sealed, white envelopes, with the amount written in black ink, that looked similar to my dad's handwriting.

Three days later, I got a letter in the mail. Not a birthday card, but a letter. It was in a small, white envelope, and my dad had written the address on it in black ink. I opened the envelope, and inside was a letter apologizing for not sending a card sooner (Mom said she was going to send one, but got sick and forgot), and with the letter was a check for $100.

I didn't get any sense of de ja vu, but I have experienced it frequently in the past. I tend to wonder if I'm dreaming, but the dreams are so fuzzy, like a TV station that's hard to receive via "rabbit ears", I might catch a quick glimpse, but then it gets fuzzy, that I consciously (or subconsciously) push it away, thinking it's nothing important. Combine that with my dreams being too realistic at times, and you've got the perfect recipe for de ja vu. I might dream for five or ten seconds that I'm updating a report at work, or coloring a plat, but that's all I'll see in the dream. I won't dream of someone coming to talk to me, or bringing me something else, or anything else in the dream, just updating the report or coloring the plat. Some time later, when I'm doing the report, or coloring the plat, I'll get the sensation I've already done this. I think that's why I always argue with one of my coworkers. She'll ask me for a file folder, or a plat, and I'll be pretty damn sure she asked for it before. Possibly, I dreamed some time in the past that she asked for it, but (A) it's so realistic, and (B) it's over and done with so quickly that I register it as having actually happened.
PRG

An important message for you:

elasto

Postby elasto » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:20 pm UTC

cegan09 wrote:Slight spin off of the dream thread. I've spent the great majority of my life either not dreaming, or just having zero recollection of them when waking up. And by that i mean i remembered nothing. I would fall asleep, and as far as i was concerned immediately wake up ~8hours later. The only dream i ever remembered was the one that would let me know i was about to wake up and get sick.

Honestly, I find that surprising. I have to assume you don't make use of an alarm clock to wake you up for school/work - else just through sheer chance you ought to have had lots of times when the alarm clock woke you while you were dreaming.

And, yes, it's insane how complicated and detailed some dreams can get, and the four or five occasions I've had a lengthy lucid dream have been especially fun :) Unfortunately I almost always wake up immediately on realising I'm dreaming, which puts me off trying to provoke more frequent lucid dreaming.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:46 pm UTC

I've been having a lot of frustrating lucid near-dreams lately.
Typically, I'll wake up in my bed and my eyes will still be closed. I can tell that I'm asleep, but sleeping very lightly (this usually happens when I've been sleeping in, so it's already light and somewhat noisy). So, I'll move around slightly, do the same check I always do (pinch my nose, try to breathe) and confirm that I am, in fact, dreaming. But the minute I try to open my eyes in the dream, or I try to move too drastically, I wake up.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:10 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:But the minute I try to open my eyes in the dream, or I try to move too drastically, I wake up.

Try this instead: lie down and go to sleep (in your dream). Yes, it feels a bit silly. When I tried it, I "woke up" in a different setting and with a totally different feel to the dream, like it was super-dreaming or something.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:31 am UTC

A lot of my "dreams" are right before I get to sleep, and am somewhat in control of the dream but it is very hazy (can't really see anything) and then I trip, waking myself up in a start.
My "real" dreams usually involve two stages, usually involving the graphical style of a game, and it flows somewhat how the game would, but at some point it becomes a strange hybrid of real life and the game, usually the terrain stays the same mostly but the people become more realistic, then I wake up. other times I can control myself in the dream but do not realize it is a dream. mostly fly in those ones.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

boXd

Postby boXd » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 am UTC

I mostly remember my dreams when I'm drunk, and those dreams are weeeeeeeird.

jasonmarz

Postby jasonmarz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

sometimes, but most of my drems were nightmare. oop..s

Trasher

Postby Trasher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:21 am UTC

Most of time I don't remember what I've seen in dream.When I get up,the impression is that I have spend lots of time on my bed.There are so many things happened between this phase.I love my dreams but unfortunately I forget them.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:45 pm UTC

I typically have vague recollections of my dreams. Most of the time I'm either rushing to get somewhere, or looking for something in a setting that's supposed to be a familiar setting to me (or sometimes places I haven't visited in years). Or someone is trying to kill me.

When I can most vividly recall a dream upon waking is when it is a seriously f@#%*ed up dream (and yeah, something trying to kill me in my dreams is considered routine these days - even when it's a T-Rex) and those dreams only hit me right as I'm coming down w/ something. I might have a sore throat for a day or two, but it really gets obvious w/ a runny nose, sneezing, and sinus pressure (or worse) the day AFTER I've had a truly messed up dream. I just had one last night and I'm right on schedule today. It makes waking from those dreams both a relief and a disappointment.

levicc00123

Postby levicc00123 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:18 pm UTC

I dream, and after looking through my dream journal, and I've made the connection that the more code I write, and starting a new project, the weirder my dreams get. a recent example.

I was sitting down to watch an American football game with my family, and I don't remember who was playing, but the TV network had cut out all commercial breaks and breaks in the action, so the commentary was disjointed. So the first half of the game ends with the home team up 27-7. Now you would expect that after half of a football game has aired, the halftime show would air and the second half would begin, right?

WRONG!

The network signs off for the day., supposedly they will air the rest of the game on the next day.

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:51 pm UTC

I suspect that I dream every night, but I only remember my dreams if I wake up during them, which usually doesn't happen. Things than can quite reliably cause me to remember my dreams:
  • Setting an alarm clock significantly earlier than the time I would naturally wake up (happens on weekdays after I put in overtime or something, usually)
  • Mosquitos in the room, drinking too much liquid before I sleep, weather too hot and humid (anything that would prevent me from sleeping soundly or cause me to need to wake up in the night)
  • Dreams that are so traumatic that I wake up in the middle of them without any outside influence (mostly happens when there are big life-changing things). This happens less and less because as I get older I think get more used to dealing with things in life that used to be hard to cope with. There are still a few things that cause it though

Basically, most nights when I sleep soundly, I don't remember my dreams. But if I set my alarm clock a few hours earlier, I will reliably remember dreams.

Had to work overtime yesterday and didn't get enough sleep, so I literally JUST woke up from a strange dream...
Spoiler:
... about a hot secret-agent woman who was trying to kill me, but I convinced her to let me live if I helper her with her mission. Neither of us knew what the mission actually was about, so we went and confronted her bosses, who said they were trying to stop a zombie apocalypse that would happen if we didn't finish the mission. For some reason, in the dream, we both thought the idea of a zombie apocalypse was pretty cool, so we decided not to do anything about it. Skip ahead a few years (yes, I had a "Several years later" caption in my dream) and everyone is zombies, which is basically no different from before except we all have immortality. So nobody really has to work and people's lives are now centered around their hobbies. Which apparently means everyone is complaining about the neighbor (played by Jack Black in my dream) playing guitar really loud. And the original bosses we reported to as secret agents have started a Star-Wars oriented theme park called "surf shop" (this is where my alarm clock went off).

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:36 am UTC

I never remember more than a fragment or a vague recollection of my dreams, but I know I have them, because occasionally I wake up shaking, in a cold sweat, with an almost unshakeable feeling of fear, which I assume is caused by a nightmare.
The only dream I can actively remember was caused by sleeping the wrong way on my arm. I lost all feeling in it, and it was draped across my throat, restricting my breating. My brain interpreted that as HOLYFUCK SOMEBODY'S STRANGLING YOU IN YOUR SLEEP, so my body went into adrenaline overdrive. I didn't actually realise I was trying to tear my own arm off until bloodflow and sensation came back, which lead to a few odd bruises on my arm, and a couple of massive ones on my ego.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

lisam

Postby lisam » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

cegan09 wrote:Slight spin off of the dream thread. I've spent the great majority of my life either not dreaming, or just having zero recollection of them when waking up. And by that i mean i remembered nothing. I would fall asleep, and as far as i was concerned immediately wake up ~8hours later. The only dream i ever remembered was the one that would let me know i was about to wake up and get sick.

About 10 months ago that started to change. Suddenly i was having insanely detailed and complex dreams. Some of them were so developed and well put together they could be full blown movies. As far as i can tell there was no trigger for this, it just happened. It's been weird getting the sudden insight to what is going on inside my head when i'm not manipulating it.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

Hey I think we all go through periods where we don't recall many dreams and then some where you recall vivid ones, it's very normal in my experience.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:32 am UTC

I can recall many occasions when I've woken up from a dream and immediately thought, "Holy crap, that was weird. I think I'd rather forget that."

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

I normally remember dreams vividly when I wake up. If they were interesting enough, I go over them in my head so that I'll remember them later, but usually that only happens about once a week. A few months ago my allergies were really bad, and I had interesting dreams every day for a whole week. I haven't had lucid dreams, but I have had moments in my dreams where I know more 'realistic' versions of objects or situations I'm seeing exist somewhere else.

Weirdest thing that happened to me was when I was sitting using my PC and listening to music in the evening. Memories of my dreams started coming back to me and it put me in a trance or hypnotised me, and all I could really do was sit there. Then more memories of the morning's dreams came flooding in, and I snapped out of the trance and felt nauseous.

Return to “General”