Being an adult-has it happened to you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

refreshingapathy

Postby refreshingapathy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

Two words:

Tuition bill.

It came addressed to me (parents picked up the first year of college, I pick up the rest). And paying it was... well... yeah, now I know what I've worked my ass off and saved like a madman for. And most of its gone now. Sigh. Student loans, here I come.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

A couple months ago when I went on an apartment hunting excursion without any kind of parental input, and then told my parents that I didn't anticipate needing financial help for the coming semester. That doesn't mean I'm totally independent of them...there's a good chance I'll need financial help next semester out of I run out of money...but I'm getting there. Also, I went to the county fair last night, and all the high schoolers running around were suddenly several years younger than me, instead of my age. Oh, and I'm going to turn 21 in 3 weeks, at which point I'll officially have all the "adult" rights and responsibilities in the US.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

It comes in bits and pieces, but the first big hit was probably shortly after I moved out of my mom's house. I was paying my own rent, working, going to school, paying for whatever I needed with my own money, scheduling my own time, and nobody else was taking care of things like eye exams and doctor's appointments.

This past spring, I took a trip to England and did all the planning, paying, traveling, etc. myself. The most interaction I had with family members was to give my mother and sister copies of my itinerary.

Now, I'm apartment hunting again, which always reinforces that strange feeling of duality; the people I'm meeting seem so halfway. It's hard to think of myself as the type of person that I grew up thinking an "adult" was. It's easier and probably more accurate to realize that my idea of adulthood was mostly imaginary.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:22 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:Yesterday. It was a hard realization... made all the harder because I didn't ingest or inhale anything mind-altering yesterday. Which was part of the reason, maybe.
Mostly it was just that suddenly I realized I have to keep my job even if I don't like it, and I have to work hard even if I don't want to, because even though I don't get paid very well, it's better than retail, and I have health insurance. Suddenly, my life is less about what I want to do and more about what I have to do. Since it was really only about what I want to do for the five years I was in college (getting a four year degree, heh) that is kind of lame. And I'm rebelling against it.
I also realized that most of the new friends I'm making lately are old enough that I don't have to *ask* if they're 21 before saying 'let's go to the bar.' That's kinda weird, cause historically all of my friends are at least 2 years younger than I, so ever since I turned 21 I've always had the problem of not being able to go out with all my friends.

That said, I don't think I'll ever *really* grow up. Cause I don't have to until way after my dad does, and he's almost 60 and hasn't grown up yet.

And I can't WAIT to make my next cushion fort.

:-( you never invite me to the bar...

I actually did have a defining moment reccently. I was thinking about a CD I have in a bank in Rochester (where I'm from) and I thought to myself I should move that CD to a Citizens bank here (cuz it's in citizens there...commies) and that I should have my Janus fund information comming to my address, not my dads. (this is all money I invested that I got from the government when my mom died) I realized I could handle the entire transaction and deal with it all myself with complete competence. BUT I am yet too lazy to have gotten it done...I also have a dentist bill in my bag that's probably 2 months old...
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:32 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:

Hey, Cat Proximity, what are you doing Friday night? Want to come over, advise me on jewelry making, and then head out to a bar? That would be cool.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

The first time I saw an RRSP deduction on my pay check. Which was then promptly changed, since that is about the worst possible way to plan for retirement as far as I am concerned.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:39 pm UTC

Probably when I got angry at the fact the kid who lives next door was walking across the lawn in front of my window. All I could think of was "Damn kid, get off my lawn".
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:42 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:
CatProximity wrote:

Hey, Cat Proximity, what are you doing Friday night? Want to come over, advise me on jewelry making, and then head out to a bar? That would be cool.

Why Meaux_Pas what a novel idea, what ever made you come up with that?

Saturday Brunch, Saturady evening Stardust?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

...Sunday Revere beach?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Spectre
Assimilation & Processing

Postby Spectre » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:16 pm UTC

Gordon wrote:Probably when I got angry at the fact the kid who lives next door was walking across the lawn in front of my window. All I could think of was "Damn kid, get off my lawn".
:D I do this routinely.

Even when there are no kids on the lawn.

... I need help.
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet...

ifeedlions

Postby ifeedlions » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

I keep forgetting I'm an adult, and so I get the realization about once a month. Most recently, I gave notice to my boss, saying that I'd be willing to work until the end of August, while he picked up a new trainee to cover for my area of the restaurant... all without uttering a single curse.

The most significant moment, however, was back when I was in college... I was studying Bio-Chem, and was involved in a heavy pre-med program... and I hated it. Nothing about it appealed to me, other than that it was what my family expected of me.... so I dropped out of college and started pursuing things I actually enjoy. It was my first big independent decision, at least the first that I wasn't afraid of offending people with.
Let me fall out of the window, with confetti in my hair...

rockintom99

Postby rockintom99 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

Right now, I am on the verge of feeling like an adult, mostly in the fact that if I decide not to show up to work anymore, I'll be out of a place to live and things to eat. It's rather depressing. :(
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

I'll be behind the wheel soon and got a job about a month ago without any help, referalls, or advice and I'm enjoying the feeling of adulthood that brings me.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:13 pm UTC

Spectre wrote:
Gordon wrote:Probably when I got angry at the fact the kid who lives next door was walking across the lawn in front of my window. All I could think of was "Damn kid, get off my lawn".
:D I do this routinely.

Even when there are no kids on the lawn.

... I need help.

It's ok, we all do.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
RealGrouchy wrote:

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:15 pm UTC

I thought it was determined in one of the many age threads that all lawns are mine.
...the whim of a hat.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:21 pm UTC

I remember no such conversation *flails arms*
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

the Cow

Postby the Cow » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:41 pm UTC

Gordon wrote:I remember no such conversation *flails arms*

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=228632#228632

I'm am the fogeyest of all the fogeys that ever fogeyed (at least lately, around here, some of the time)

Get off my lawn ya damn kids!
...the whim of a hat.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:43 pm UTC

The moment i realized i was consistently working 2 jobs.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

Oh, something I was just posting elsewhere reminded me of a good one for this thread.

When I started paying bills in the amounts of hundreds/thousands of dollars.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

the Cow

Postby the Cow » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

I find it a bit odd that many of the posts here indicate that the feeling was born out of fiscal responsibility - paying bills, getting jobs, etc...
...the whim of a hat.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:07 pm UTC

the Cow wrote:I find it a bit odd that many of the posts here indicate that the feeling was born out of fiscal responsibility - paying bills, getting jobs, etc...

Yeah.

And define 'adult'. I have taken responsibility for my own upkeep and try and plan for the future and all that junk. But many people also relate 'adulthood' with giving up things you do as a kid. In that respect, I am not, nor will I ever be an 'adult'.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

I still have issues feeling like an adult some days.

Largely it doesn't help that at work I'm surrounded by coworkers easily twice my age. I think the only folks in my department who aren't are our DBA and the helpdesk folks.

But I've been living on my own since I was twenty one, I'm paying my own college-incurred debt, I have spare money... Oh, and I now go for job interviews of my own volition, put my own resume together, and I no longer have to worry about how it's too short. :)

I think that to me, financial independence is the biggest thing that makes me feel grown up, even if I'm not crazily frugal or whatever. In my world being able to pay my own way means no one gets to dictate my terms of living, and freedom is what being an adult is all about.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:I'll be behind the wheel soon and got a job about a month ago without any help, referalls, or advice and I'm enjoying the feeling of adulthood that brings me.

You're going to be driving a car, one month after getting a job? How did you pull that one off without any help?

dagron

Postby dagron » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

When I started a 9-5 office job and had to pay bills.

I realized being an adult kinda sucks.

sebbeklang

Postby sebbeklang » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:50 pm UTC

22, not grown up yet. i think i'll feel grown up when i get permanent (or at least possibly permanent, i might still want to move some time) housing. no student rooms or shared apartments, that is.

cooking for my brothers give me kind of such a feeling, just not enough

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

the Cow wrote:I find it a bit odd that many of the posts here indicate that the feeling was born out of fiscal responsibility - paying bills, getting jobs, etc...

fiscal/personal/familial responsibility goes hand in hand these days.

Other than my work situation, housing situation, bills and whatnot, i'd still be a kid.

notice few if any people here have said anything of "maturity" strictly being "adult" and not OLD like some people ;)

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

lol im adult becuz im 21 lol

edit: post 420 lmaoz

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:09 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:lol im adult becuz im 21 lol

edit: post 420 lmaoz

*twitch*

;)

ShowPony

Postby ShowPony » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:51 am UTC

Well, my parents threw me out when I was 19. Six months later my money ran out, and I realised that if I didn't bail myself out somehow, I was going to end up on the streets. That was a fairly defining moment in becoming an adult.
On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago I was signing up for a developer program to get some tools. I didn't feel like a professional game developer with 15 years experience, I felt like a student scamming free stuff. And since I still play on swings, and chase my friend Catherine around the house pretending to pounce on him, and make myself sick on cake and lollies occasionally, I think there is a part of me that will never grow up.

the Cow

Postby the Cow » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:56 am UTC

ShowPony wrote:I didn't feel like a professional game developer with 15 years experience, I felt like a student scamming free stuff.

Which are you, really?
...the whim of a hat.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:12 am UTC

Am I an adult? Let's try an experiment:

Piddles.

hehe, yes, I'm still not grown up. hehe

piddles...

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:17 am UTC

But but... you have a beard (and a rather fashionable one at that) you must be a grown up!
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:25 am UTC

Gordon wrote:But but... you have a beard (and a rather fashionable one at that) you must be a grown up!

I also pose with spoons, bubble guns and water bottles.

piddles...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:37 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:When I was eating a corner piece of cake, and thought, "there's too much frosting, I can't finish this."

I used to eat frosting straight.

Yes. I used to do the same, and now I do the same. On layered cakes, I usually scrape the top layer off, as it's just too damn much.

In a related vein, it didn't really sink in that I was married until I was submitting paperwork to get my wife on my insurance.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:02 am UTC

Funny enough, the other day i was sat at the bar of my local getting snake bite & black down my gullet and saw some under-agers and kicked them out, and I thought "Two years back that was me" then thought "there is nothing legal that i cant do due to my age" and almost broke down. Thinking about it now makes me upset "big fear of death" My friend "21" said "my next big birthday is my 50th" and i thought "how depressing"
Please don't correct my spelling, I am lisdexic and know it is probably wrong.

ShowPony

Postby ShowPony » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:13 am UTC

the Cow wrote:
ShowPony wrote:I didn't feel like a professional game developer with 15 years experience, I felt like a student scamming free stuff.

Which are you, really?

I know which one I'd like to be!

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:17 am UTC

Being asked to keep my cell phone on for emergency contact from work while I'm on vacation, and to read my email.

(F that. It's going to be on, but I'm not going to answer ANY phone calls originating from any area codes in Pennsylvania or Maryland. I'm on *VACATION*. And email!? I don't read that when I'm actually working.)

So, er, I guess I'm still an irresponsible little prick who's expected to be an adult, but refuses.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:18 am UTC

I realized I was an adult the day I was standing in the aise of the grocery store, looking at the ice cream - and when it occured to me I could afford it, and had plenty of room in the freezer, but that I didn't really want it because it was nothing but pure sugar, which my body had no need of. It wasn't the financial independence, or moving away from home, or paying thousands of dollars in tuition with money I had saved - it was that damned carton of ice cream.
Lurker Extraordinaire

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:22 am UTC

Deciding to apply to graduate school, and realizing that no one else could handle the process for me, nor indeed even tell me if it was what I "should do" or not.

Adulthood means coming up with your own answer to "What should I do now?"
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:35 am UTC

Mine was probably just when I voted.

Though, things like not having to tell my mother what time I'll be home when I go out at night are pretty awesome. (Until she woke me up at 3:30am because she hadn't heard me come in and was searching the house. Then it was back to teenager-land.) Also, going out to a bar and not feeling as though I have to drink.

Return to “General”