Having fun

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pinecone

Having fun

Postby pinecone » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:49 am UTC

How do you guys enjoy yourselves?

Didn't see anything like this so apologies if I'm unknowingly blind.
I recently have been having trouble finding a way to enjoy myself, I know most people will have general "hanging out with friends" kind of things, but I'm wondering if there are any things I haven't really considered that I might enjoy.

I prefer solitary activities, as I don't really have friends, and having people involved makes all kinds of bad. Cheap activities are good to, and generally physical based things (sports, exercise) aren't good- but I guess if a good idea comes along it could be anything

Of course this doesn't have to be just ideas for me, tell me what makes you feel good! :D

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:01 am UTC

I really, really recommend archery. I've been shooting since I was 9 (I'm 14) and it is fantastic. You don't have to be fit (the weight and draw of target bows are adjustable) it makes you fit without any real excercise, you can choose what level of competition is right for you (if you want to compete at all) and most archery clubs offer a very cheap equipment rental fee, or a slightly more expensive but cheaper in the long run membership fee.
From the age of 11 onwards I was competing on a national level (In New Zealand) and coming second or third. You pick it up quickly, and I love it. Try it sometime.

pinecone

Postby pinecone » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:11 am UTC

I tried archery one time when I was younger (maybe 13 or so), it was alright, but I didn't really like it enough to pay to hang around with a bunch of strangers and shoot balloons

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:11 am UTC

Sunshine wrote:I really, really recommend archery. I've been shooting since I was 9 (I'm 14) and it is fantastic. You don't have to be fit (the weight and draw of target bows are adjustable) it makes you fit without any real excercise, you can choose what level of competition is right for you (if you want to compete at all) and most archery clubs offer a very cheap equipment rental fee, or a slightly more expensive but cheaper in the long run membership fee.
From the age of 11 onwards I was competing on a national level (In New Zealand) and coming second or third. You pick it up quickly, and I love it. Try it sometime.

It's something I've always considered doing but never actually did. Sounds like fun.

I did get a one-day course in crossbow shooting long ago. Now you do need to be fit for that: those things weigh a ton!

My recommendation would be Aikido. I've done Aikido on and off (due to injury) for several years. It's great.

EDIT: Aikido's not exactly a solitary activity though.
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:44 am UTC

maybe it would help to tell us what you already do.

pinecone

Postby pinecone » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

Martial arts aren't something I could really do, I have though done a few different kinds when I was younger so I kind of know how it works

What I already do, uhh, there isn't much to say, on weekdays I am doing course in graphic design, which I can't say I enjoy, but stopping isn't really an option.

My weekday free time is roughly 5-7 hours or so each night, and 15 hours or so on weekends. In my free time I browse the internet basically.

Occasionally I play some games, I have a Wii and a PS3, but I haven't been enjoying playing any of the games recently. I'm looking forward to when super smash bros brawl comes out (maybe 6 months away where I am), but even when it does it's only one game that I probably wont play longer than a couple of weeks, so I'd like something long term

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:08 pm UTC

Have you tried mas... never mind. :P

Perhaps you could try random stuff like spray painting things, making belt buckles, circuit bending, making t-shirts (with the aformentioned spray paint)... These are all the things I do for fun, and they don't require other people, and are mostly cheap.

I also play synth and guitar, make music in various ways (sometimes modules, sometimes straight recording), and play tennis.

pinecone

Postby pinecone » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:23 pm UTC

Making shirts and spray painting etc for me is more like work than fun, I sometimes design shirts for money.

I know of a quote which I cant remember the words of that says not to look for fun things to do, but look for the fun in the things you already do. I can't seem to unlock that unfortunately.

When I was little I played a few different instruments, tried to re-start playing a few times over the years but never really could

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

Origami is "my thing." It's a good excuse to go to the local library, as well, since I find origami books a great resource compared to just about anything else (though there's a ton online if you know where to go). You can buy good paper at any art/craft store, or just use printer paper/whatever's around the house.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:45 pm UTC

Water skiing or wakeboarding is pretty much my idea of an ideal day. Sometimes depending on the day and if my sister is in town sailing can be a good time, but no one I know owns a boat and rentals get very expensive.

Camping is also a great time, but it is very hard to organize since I feel terrible organizing a trip if all my friend can't make it and with work schedules it gets harder every year.

During the months when we have snow on the ground, snowboarding is an acceptable substitute, but I find I hurt myself much more then I ever have while on the water. And again I don't have my own board so renting is kind of annoying, I am actually thinking of picking up a board this year and trying to get more into the sport this season.

And regardless of the time of year, concerts will always have a kindred place in my heart. As will sharing a few beers with friends.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

bavardage

Postby bavardage » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

I am not exactly what you'd call physically active, but I enjoy archery and kayaking, so would recommend those.

I have also heard things about Aikido that make me want to try it. Maybe once I am at Uni.
'It can't be software incompatibility - the Trodden Spiral was designed for concentric rings, idiot ...'

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:37 pm UTC

Posting on the forum, writing, in general, playing platformers.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

Find something that not too many people do: it's easier to get along in a small group. If it's an online gaming community, good for you, for finding an old and obscure enough game.
Oh, and paintball. That is win.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Verator

Postby Verator » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

You want something time consuming? Pick up an mmo, jsut remember, I warned you.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

djn

Postby djn » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

Verator wrote:You want something time consuming? Pick up an mmo, jsut remember, I warned you.

This does work. As a benefit, you get another set of forums to hang around on, and another set of people to waste time with. (At least if you get into a nice guild.)

On the flipside, there is a reason he's warning you, and several of the alternatives here are much better for you.

TRM

Postby TRM » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

I feel slightly delusional that you guys have more... enigmatic activities at hand to please yourselves.

I prefer to read mathematics and science textbooks on my own free time. I actually like going to the gym as well (except when I force myself to bike for 30 minutes, I consider that to be eternal damnation). Seriously though, that's about it.
PandaFluff wrote:I learned a few lessons from this... Don't trust epiphanies that come from a General Ecology lecture.

djn

Postby djn » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

Well, wikipedia is a definite time drain, and I'm rather fond of my DSLR camera. Doing more or less productive things with FreeBSD has been a hobby for some years now.
But honestly: WoW is the single activity that takes the most of my time at the moment.

priapus

Postby priapus » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

Last edited by priapus on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

knitting, videogames, reading.

i'm pretty boring.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Oort

Postby Oort » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:51 pm UTC

priapus wrote:7) Harass panhandlers.

:(

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:39 am UTC

finish school and go away for two weeks with friends.
if i am ever half as happy as i was then, it will be awesome.

otherwise, hacky sack.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

HSG

Postby HSG » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:48 am UTC

Juggling, Magic, Gaming, Reading...
Ugh, I'm a geek >_>

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:05 am UTC

For fun, I dick around on my guitar, a lot.

I think learning guitar is actually the most fun thing I've done in a long time. I loves me some music, yes. Yes I does. Yes I does.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:06 am UTC

i read that sooo wrong.

and then you said you LOVE music and it just made it worse.

ahahaaa.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:20 am UTC

I go to my favorite bar, where everyone knows my name, whack my ipod on and play my tunes, have a skank and crash on the sofa's or have a game of chess. Once we just decided to make random cocktails, how many bars do you know that will let you make your own cocktail for £3.95?

Barman Adam.

yummm all on the right are vodka infusions all £2 ranging from skittles to refreshers to marmite!
Please don't correct my spelling, I am lisdexic and know it is probably wrong.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:41 am UTC

I live in the city, so when I get bored I just walk around and see what I can find in terms of new stores, old bookshops, parks, etc. There's kind of a lot, and prettymuch every time I do this I find something new and awesome.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:02 am UTC

I like to rearrange the chemistry of my brain.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:55 am UTC

PhantomReality wrote:I like to rearrange the chemistry of my brain.

occasional shroom or x

pot mostly

huff air duster when all else fails

i dont like drinking though...

blackeye

Postby blackeye » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:12 am UTC

hmmmm I smell....
oh yea ignorance.
That's the stuff.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:54 am UTC

Things I enjoy:
Hanging with friends.
Comedy.
4-Square.
Being able to relax with some TV.
A shower.

I'm pretty easy to please I guess.
=]

schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire

Postby schumi_girl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:57 am UTC

Things I Enjoy:

Writing Stories
Writing Poems
Reading
Playing Nintendo
Playing tennis
Shoe shopping
Dancing in the rain
Snuggling with my loved one
Laughing with my friends til I cry

Just the simple pleasures in life.

Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

pinecone

Postby pinecone » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:00 am UTC

Ahh, I used to play WoW, for about 2 years it took up nearly all of my free time (which was a lot of time), because of that I was in the top guilds with all the epics and all that junk, after struggling my way out of that habit though I couldn't let myself go back :P

Martial arts seem to be mentioned very often as a 'something to do', physically I'm not to unfit (thin, but not muscled) and I'm sure if I did it I'd be physically better for it. The contact with people however is very off putting for me, especially since often it involves sparring and whatever else with the other people, and that interaction is another level past just being around people. I've done a few kinds of martial arts when I was little (tae kwon do and capoeira), when the people weren't a problem, but it really wasn't that much fun for me even then, just felt like a hassle. I guess I shouldn't have said its not something I can do, but rather something I've already considered and crossed off the list, to put it differently.

Spot

Postby Spot » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:31 am UTC

schumi_girl wrote:Laughing with my friends til I cry

Seconded! I love when something(s) are funny enough that it/they make me laugh to the point of tears. I laugh easily, so it happens often enough :D
Also, it happens in response to things my friends say or do more often than from comedy shows and such.
@ OP, you should try learning to play an instrument and then playing your favorite video game music on it.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:04 am UTC

Having LAN parties/playing Wii games with friends with pizza and beer :D
Apart from that, reading and playing games (not MMOs though)
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

pinecone

Postby pinecone » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:41 am UTC

I've considered taking up an instrument a little kinda sorta maybe... I'm not sure what I'd play, any musically inclined people have any reccomendations for someone like me?

I played piano on and off for many years, never was good though, I also used to play euphonium(spelling?) at a point.

I think if i played something it would be piano, but I'd really rather not get lessons, I wouldn't be opposed to teaching myself, but its a fairly big investment to get a piano, even a keyboard is expensive (not to mention huge). Maybe I need to look into lightweight cheap keyboards or something... now that I think about it, I have like 1-1.5 meters of space either side of me on this bench if I could clean up the mess.

Spot

Postby Spot » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:55 am UTC

pinecone wrote:I've considered taking up an instrument a little kinda sorta maybe... I'm not sure what I'd play, any musically inclined people have any reccomendations for someone like me?

I played piano on and off for many years, never was good though, I also used to play euphonium(spelling?) at a point.

I think if i played something it would be piano, but I'd really rather not get lessons, I wouldn't be opposed to teaching myself, but its a fairly big investment to get a piano, even a keyboard is expensive (not to mention huge). Maybe I need to look into lightweight cheap keyboards or something... now that I think about it, I have like 1-1.5 meters of space either side of me on this bench if I could clean up the mess.

I think a keyboard is probably a good choice. I am definitely biased on this since I have never really played much of any other instrument though. I'm pretty sure you can get by without lessons.

MasterYeats

Postby MasterYeats » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

Smoking is a great thing. When I have a free night I ring my mates and we all go out and get pissed. I remember Dylan Moran saying that we measure how good a night is on how damaged we are when we wake up.

'Good night?'
'Oh it was great... I can't see! - I have no feeling in the left hand side of my body... at all. Completely numb. You should have come, you'd have at least lost an ear!'
'Teach me half the gladness
That thy brain must know,
Such harmonious madness
From my lips would flow
The world should listen then — as I am listening now.'
- To A Skylark, Shelley

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:47 pm UTC

MasterYeats wrote:Smoking is a great thing.

I hate smoking because I miss it so much. I quit years ago but damn, I wish it wasn't so crap for your body.
Last edited by lukkucairi on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

Suggestions supported by me:

Archery.
Play music. If you do this, it takes a long time to get past the point where it becomes really fun and stuff, but when you do its great.
Listen to music.
Play good computer games.
Go to partys. This is a good one.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

hack124x768

Postby hack124x768 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:00 pm UTC

Taking stuff apart (I don't feel right using it unless I have seen the guts)
Putting things where they shouldn't be (eg: Flashing lights inside my laser mouse)
Making shooting things (guns, catapults, slingshots)
Lighting crumpled pieces of paper on fire
Playing DDR
Building scooters/go-carts
Jumping from tall things (max 15 feet to dry ground)
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

Return to “General”