what if... - on Pets.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:04 am UTC

Hammer wrote:Totoros not impossible. They's REAL! They gots umbrellas and catbuses and they's big and furry and you can nap on their tummies. Hmph.

all this time I was wondering what furry thing you have your head against in your avatar.

now I know.

it is your totoro :)

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:11 am UTC

21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:07 pm UTC

I've thought about it, and definitely want a giraffe. And maybe a zebra.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

thedufer

Postby thedufer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:00 pm UTC

I'd go with a pair of white tigers and a red-tailed hawk. The hawk could sit on my shoulder and the tigers would follow me. Totally bad-ass.
[More] realistically, I'd settle for any large cat (lions, tigers, panthers, etc.) or a wolf or any predatory bird.

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

A coyote with a handle so that I could carry it around like a happy briefcase...
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

I want some meerkats! Seriously, Meerkat Manor is the best show ever (when high, anyway). I would love me some meerkats running around being all anthropomorphically "civilized". It would be great!

The only drawback is that I would be completely baked out of my mind all the time. It's not like that is the worst thing in the world, but I gotta get some shit done every once in a while. And that would definitely not happen with the fortunate whiskers running around, doing all of their little antics.

The girl i was recently dating really wanted an ocelot as a pet, for some reason.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

clearbright

Postby clearbright » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:33 pm UTC

When I was little-r I always wanted a squirrel for some reason. Or a chipmunk. They just seemed to be quite intelligent little chaps that could sit on your shoulder, and flit around, in just the right swift flitting way.

Okay, but for maximum coolness, I would compile my menagerie (that followed me around constantly, like a flock of magical animals following their interestingly travelled leader) out of a giant tortoise, which has been agreed to be THE thing to have - their plodding way of travelling - who can resist? A hedgehog, since they have a pretty sweet way of locomotion too. An armadillo, because I fell in love with them after watching this old Chinese cartoon when I was little-r called "Hu Lu Wa", and the armadillo is a key plot device who gives up his life for the children. A giant panda, because, come on, symbol of conservation/China don'tyouknow, and its fur looks so good for sleeping in. Some kind of helpful flock of birds that feed on fleas, to de-flea my panda. And a giant tiger, to scare the shit out of people in the way of my travelling family.

Edit: I FORGOT THE PENGUINS!!

C. uniparens

Postby C. uniparens » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

LizardKing wrote:A Utahraptor, since it's probably big enough to put a saddle on, which would be amazingly awesome.
YES! I bet the percentage of people on this forum who've had this dream is ridiculously high. I remember writing a story about this in elementary school, my teacher was a bit perplexed.

I would want a desperately loyal sea lion to tail me endlessly through my house bumping into things and acting astonished, like your run of the mill big-stupid-dog except even more amusing.

Or an out-of-water octopus. He'd have to make burbling noises and sit on my shoulder whilst appearing to look around cautiously. He'd spook easily, poor thing.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

C. uniparens wrote:
LizardKing wrote:A Utahraptor, since it's probably big enough to put a saddle on, which would be amazingly awesome.
YES! I bet the percentage of people on this forum who've had this dream is ridiculously high. I remember writing a story about this in elementary school, my teacher was a bit perplexed.

Played this as a D&D character. It was great.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

AnonyMouse
Boobs, LOL!

Postby AnonyMouse » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

robinberghuys

Re: what if... - on Pets.

Postby robinberghuys » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:13 pm UTC

__Kit wrote:
apocralypse wrote:on a more realistic note, i've thought it'd be cool to have a pet lobster. seriously, WHO has a pet lobster? no one.

Homer Simpson had a lobster...

That´s just cause the Simpsons already did everything, ever.

Verator

Postby Verator » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

AnonyMouse wrote:Springhaas! so cute!

I chose you, Pikachu!
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:28 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
C. uniparens wrote:

Played this as a D&D character. It was great.

Who rode your character?

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

Erm....the half-drow sword-dancer and the party's bard. But that was a one-time thing with far-reaching repercussions, none of which were pleasant, and none of which had much to do with the character's utahraptor mount.

They/them

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:22 am UTC

TheTankengine wrote:I want some meerkats! Seriously, Meerkat Manor is the best show ever (when high, anyway). I would love me some meerkats running around being all anthropomorphically "civilized". It would be great!

The only drawback is that I would be completely baked out of my mind all the time. It's not like that is the worst thing in the world, but I gotta get some shit done every once in a while. And that would definitely not happen with the fortunate whiskers running around, doing all of their little antics.

Oh me yarm I love you! I totally agree! That's exactly what happened to me and I wanted them so bad.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:24 am UTC

robinberghuys wrote:
__Kit wrote:
apocralypse wrote:on a more realistic note, i've thought it'd be cool to have a pet lobster. seriously, WHO has a pet lobster? no one.

Homer Simpson had a lobster...

That´s just cause the Simpsons already did everything, ever.

I forgive you, because of your awesome avatar, I remember that head-banging monkey, please tell me his name!
=]

tiny

Re:

Postby tiny » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

Verator wrote:A giant squid. but if extinct animals count, a raptor, or a giant sloth.
I'd like to have a normal modern state-of-the-evolution sloth. Sloths are cool, the potheads of animal kingdom. And they remind me of E.T.
I'd build a course of broomsticks on the ceiling where it could hang around. And I'd call it Edgar. Especially if it was a girl.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

I think I'm torn between a pygmy hippo or a fruit bat. I think the hippo.

parkaboy wrote:on a more realistic note, i've thought it'd be cool to have a pet lobster. seriously, WHO has a pet lobster? no one.

Not a lobster, but when I was 5 I bought two crawdads for 10 cents each from a bait store. I named them Spike and Fang. The problem came when Fang molted, and he was soft and vulnerable. Spike ate him. So then I just had Spike. He had a lot more personality than you might think of a crawdad. I fed him pieces of lunchmeat and cheese off a shiskabob skewer, and he would walk up and take them off. It was cute. I had him until he was probably 7 or 8 inches long...nearing lobster-sized. My mom made me let him go in a stream.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Julie

Re:

Postby Julie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:26 pm UTC

lukkucairi wrote:because of sheer unexpected resemblance to a pac-man ghost:
a dumbo octopus.

edit: OK OK, a dumbo octopus with laser beams!

I have an irrational fear of octopuses. Seriously, what other 5-foot long animal can squeeze through an inch long opening? They can also crawl out of water and onto land for brief periods of time, and they are more intelligent than the average 3-year-old. Crazy.

Anyway, back on subject, I would like a zebra. I've always wanted one because I have horses, so a zebra seemed like the next logical step.

Possibly a (male) narwhal, just because their horns are awesome. I would enjoy riding on it and having jousting matches! Never mind the below freezing water...

Another one I'd like is a coconut crab. Essentially, they're giant hermit crabs. Absolutely massive, they have a 3-foot leg span. Locals use them to guard their coconut groves, and yes they can take your fingers off. ...and they taste like lobster

There's a pet store near my house that sells baby giant tortoises. I hate it- I googled the species and they're actually endangered. On top of that, there are two or three of them in a ten-gallon tank. The species in question also lives 150 years and requires super-specialized care, which needless to say is not met by a tiny tank with a heat lamp.

Belial

Re: Re:

Postby Belial » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:38 am UTC

Julie wrote:I have an irrational fear of octopuses. Seriously, what other 5-foot long animal can squeeze through an inch long opening? They can also crawl out of water and onto land for brief periods of time, and they are more intelligent than the average 3-year-old. Crazy.

Those...are all the reasons I *want* an octopus.

They/them

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:43 am UTC

Julie, I will have you know that the picture of the coconut crab just scared the crap out of my fiance.

Thank you. That was highly amusing. :twisted:

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:45 am UTC

Girl is also filing such things under "things that should not be".

How do the locals get them to stay around the coconut groves? How long can they survive away from water?

They/them

Benny the Bear

Postby Benny the Bear » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:46 am UTC

Grizzly Bear/Velociraptor

Both of which I can mount.

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:48 am UTC

Benny the Bear wrote:Grizzly Bear/Velociraptor

Both of which I can mount.

Chocobo FTW!

Julie

Postby Julie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:50 am UTC

An octopus once escaped from its tank in an aquarium. It was intelligent enough to figure out that people were only at the aquarium during the day, so it planned its escapes around that and only escaped at night. It got out, then got into the tanks of other fish and ate them. It then crawled back into its own tank. It took the aquarium staff months to figure out what was going on, just because that thing was so sneaky! It would eat 1-2 fish in a tank, then move onto the next one, so nobody noticed mass disappearances. It was careful about selecting which tanks- only ones with the right salinity/temperature for an octopus.
I am always frightened that one will eat me in my sleep. They are the most terrifying animals ever to exist (Even those ridiculously cute dumbo ones).

I'm not sure how the locals get them to guard the coconuts, I just know they do... keep the monkeys away and whatnot. They're basically just hermit crabs, so as long as they have drinking water and a humid environment, they don't really need too much water. They're land animals.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:53 am UTC

Unfortunately, not all of them are that Ninja. There are a couple stories of Giant Pacifics getting out of their cages, and not being able to get back in.

And that is so cool about those crabs. I totally want one now.

They/them

Julie

Postby Julie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:59 am UTC

I think it's a good thing they can't all escape.

You can buy a coconut crab in Tokyo... I really want one, except they need HUGE cages (the size of a room), and the humidity must be kept at tropical-island level. They're pretty easy to feed, though, they just eat fruit and things like that.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:06 am UTC

ah! someone already said giant squid, octopus and flying fox.

Some day I'm going to get a bunch of giant rats. I'll be the old lady with the rats, and make them little sweaters and take them out for walks.

It would also be cool to get some high pressure basement aquariums and have some anglerfish and glowing jelly fish down there to freak people out. Make it like a themed night club or something.

...Has no one said dragons? Dragons would be way cool pets.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:27 am UTC

I want a Lynx. And/Or any other wild cat that's just a little bigger than a house cat. Like an Ocelot or a Puma. Not that Pumas are that small, but they're "small wildcats".
~Kat

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:26 am UTC

Pangolin (Not only are they real, they're real mammals)

Elephant shrew

Dik-dik (think of all the potential names!)

Mantis shrimp

Wildebeest

Kitty

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:30 am UTC

Ferret.

All the way.
As soon as I leave home, I'm getting a ferret.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:43 am UTC

I think a common octopus would be awesome but kinda creepy. Mostly 'cuz its head would be all floppy. That kinda creeps me out. I think an albatross would be pretty badass too.

I want mostly everything that has been mentioned in here.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:53 am UTC

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:05 am UTC

Land: Jaguar
Sea: Orca
Air: Raven

but if I only got one, totally the orca.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:12 am UTC

Red Panda:

Cute. Fluffy. 'Nuff said.

edit:
Maseiken wrote:Ferret.

All the way.
As soon as I leave home, I'm getting a ferret.

My uncle has a ferret, it stinks really bad :?
Last edited by Goose on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

arrgh406

Postby arrgh406 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:13 am UTC

a trained and domesticated Grizzly bear.
eee ftw!

Brineshrimp

Postby Brineshrimp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:45 am UTC

A duck. Hands down.
Cramped Crustaceans need love too.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:48 am UTC

Let's just say, ducks are my weakness. It's like cat proximity, but 1000x worse.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Brineshrimp

Postby Brineshrimp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:31 am UTC

Sartorius wrote:...

Let's just say, ducks are my weakness. It's like cat proximity, but 1000x worse.

I'm with you, brotha.
Cramped Crustaceans need love too.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:34 am UTC

Brineshrimp wrote:
Sartorius wrote:...

I'm with you, brotha.

>.> I get that, but it actually is with cats. Which sounds either redundant or infinite, to say I get 1000x cat proximity with cats, but well... Most people don't stop dead on the sidewalk for 20 minutes because they see a cat in a lawn and want to pet it.
~Kat

Return to “General”